Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just ran into niceplayer today. I can't endorse it yet, but hey, there it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
What is going on here?

After having some trouble getting the drive to sleep (the stock platter drive in an optibay), I decrypted the drive via Disk Utility. Now, the drive doesn't seem to know whether it's encrypted or not. Everything works fine, I'm just a little nervous. Any ideas?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

As always, my first question is: Anything interesting in the syslogs?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

IUG posted:

Otherwise I just turn off my screen with the Control + Shift + Eject keys. It works on my MBPr without a CD drive, but the eject key is on my Apple external aluminum keyboard. I don't know if you can make it require a password to wake from that though.

Ctrl+Shift+Power on the rMBP's and Airs

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Comatoast posted:

I just ran into niceplayer today. I can't endorse it yet, but hey, there it is.

Last updated: Sep 2011

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Hopefully small question: I'm trying to sync open Safari tabs between my MBP and iPad. When I go into the iCloud preferences, however, there's no entry for Safari, only one for Bookmarks. Not really sure what's wrong and I haven't been able to find anything from Googling for this specific problem. Any ideas?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Are you running Mountain Lion?

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Are you running Mountain Lion?

I was just about to post. I thought I had read you only needed like 10.7.something but then I looked a bit more and saw it required Mountain Lion. My bad.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

Martytoof posted:

As always, my first question is: Anything interesting in the syslogs?

Nothing that jumps out.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does anyone know if 1Password 4.0 is expected to come out anytime soon? There's a new iOS version of 1Password (well, not so new anymore) that I didn't bother upgrading to yet but I imagine I'm going to 'need' to one way or another when the new OS X version comes out.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does anyone know if 1Password 4.0 is expected to come out anytime soon? There's a new iOS version of 1Password (well, not so new anymore) that I didn't bother upgrading to yet but I imagine I'm going to 'need' to one way or another when the new OS X version comes out.

They've hinted at its upcoming release on Twitter, but no concrete details yet as far as I know.

For what it's worth, I use 1P 4 on iPad/iPhone and iP3 on 10.8 and they all work together swimmingly.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Boris Galerkin posted:

1Password for Mac 4.0 will be a free upgrade for everyone that has 1Password for Mac 3.9 from the Mac App Store.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Edit: Apparently the old 1Password Pro for iOS is supposed to continue working with whatever newer versions come out in the future, so says this post.

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 26, 2013

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
But if you use 1Password 3 for iOS and haven't set it up with Dropbox...

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
In Numbers, if I have a column of checkboxes, is there a way to get the count of the longest run of checked boxes from the bottom of the sheet? Or the top, even. I'm not particular. For example, in the below column, I'd want the answer 3.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

horse mans posted:

In Numbers, if I have a column of checkboxes, is there a way to get the count of the longest run of checked boxes from the bottom of the sheet? Or the top, even. I'm not particular. For example, in the below column, I'd want the answer 3.

Not sure about Numbers, but here is approximately how I would do it in excel (assuming that there is a function called isChecked). Also bump your poo poo down one row so that row 1 is empty or zero.

1. Starting in B2 put: =if(isChecked(A2),B1+1,0)
2. Fill down column B as deep as you dare
3. In the cell where you want the answer, put =max($B$2:$B$65536)
4. Profit

withak fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 30, 2013

Echoes
Aug 27, 2008
Is pages a lot better than the mac version of word? I'm currently in the process of writing a dissertation and Word is helplessly slow, I've also read that pages handles bigger documents and footnotes better, is there any truth to this?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

withak posted:

Not sure about Numbers, but here is approximately how I would do it in excel (assuming that there is a function called isChecked). Also bump your poo poo down one row so that row 1 is empty or zero.

1. Starting in B2 put: =if(isChecked(A2),B1+1,0)
2. Fill down column B as deep as you dare
3. In the cell where you want the answer, put =max($B$2:$B$65536)
4. Profit

Ahh, that got me thinking on the right path. Thanks.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I've never tried word for Mac but I find Pages absolutely fantastic, well worth the £13.99 IMO.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Is there any OSX program that will adjust your display depending on the time of day? There was one for windows but I forgot the name for it and google comes up with just audio stuff.

I want the display to be more relaxing at night basically. Not just the brightness but also the colors and hue/saturation etc.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I think you're looking for f.lux

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I think you're looking for f.lux

f.lux + brightness slider and your eyes will never complain again.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is "halogen" the correct setting for incandescent lighting? I'm trying flux and it makes things look orange.

EDIT: Looks like I just need to get used to it.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 31, 2013

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

wdarkk posted:

Is "halogen" the correct setting for incandescent lighting? I'm trying flux and it makes things look orange.

EDIT: Looks like I just need to get used to it.

Every Mac display I've ever seen is really really blue at factory settings.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yeah, for some reason they calibrate them blue as all hell, then the applied color profile is really orange.

On that note, anyone know of a good Windows color profile for Macs so that things aren't so blue on that side, as well? Figure I'd just check here before asking about color profiles in the Windows thread.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I would like a good, stable, lightweight IRC client for OSX.

Colloquy has a memory leak or something, because if I leave it running too long, it bogs down my system something fierce. So what are the alternatives?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Adium seems great, and suits my needs.

Edit: Not sure how "lightweight" it is but it certainly doesn't tax my Mac.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ConfusedUs posted:

Colloquy has a memory leak or something, because if I leave it running too long, it bogs down my system something fierce. So what are the alternatives?

I use limechat off the App Store

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I love Linkinus and highly recommend it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Textual is nice and if you compile it yourself instead of buying the App Store version, free.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

Textual owns.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I likes Textual.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Mad Wack posted:

I love Linkinus and highly recommend it.

Linkinus is probably the best, but it hasn't been updated in a while and has some huge problems. Not worth using unless you see a feature you really like, and if that feature is embedded media, don't bother because half the services they advertise as supported don't actually work.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
If you're not afraid of Terminal, screen/tmux and irssi.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm looking for a command line application that would read the ID3 tag of my mp3 and then rename the file i.e Artist - Song - Year.mp3 or whatever.
I know a few with GUI but I'd like to do that by script. Anyone got a clue?

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

wolffenstein posted:

If you're not afraid of Terminal, screen/tmux and irssi.

This. I've tried Linkinus, LimeChat. etc. and I always go back to this.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Woah, Textual looks exactly like Linkinus.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

noirstronaut posted:

Woah, Textual looks exactly like Linkinus.

It's Linkinus minus some features and bloat. I switched to it after realizing that Linkinus' memory leaks would likely never be fixed by its mostly-inactive developer, and I've been pretty happy with it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Okay, start the count: 10.8.4 beta is out for developers.

That's 1!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I literally laughed out loud when I saw that in my inbox.

I'm not sure why.

Probably because I knew it would set off a new chain :haw: