Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

loving 70-647 test. I failed it again. Last time with a 683 (1 loving question) this time a 666 (2 loving questions). Now I'm just pissed. I'm going to study my rear end off and buttfuck this goddamn exam in a couple of weeks. It's always the same section that gets me. I've never used RDS in production so it's my weakest area.

Why isn't there a "I pay Microsoft 6 figures a year for support and access to PFE's so I don't have to know this esoteric bullshit" answer on the test?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

pretend to care posted:

If anything I'd do CEH last. Not sure what sort of "industry" you're in, but I know that where I am almost every one of these positions REQUIRES a CISSP/CISM/CISA type cert, and then stuff like CEH or Security+ are nice to have (but really nobody cares if you have the main one).
Thanks. HealthCare. I already have Security+ so that wouldn't count as a higher level cert in his eye. Plus, he has CISM so that's why I'm assuming he wants me to get a CISSP*.

CEH I know nothing about and it doesn't sound like something that carries much weight but I'd be open if it was worthwhile from an information standpoint.

*I assumed CISM was also (ISC)2 and I was wrong.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 28, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
At least you are getting it the right way.

So loving over dealing with paper VCP's... I can't believe some of the poo poo I have heard these past few weeks.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

pretend to care posted:

If anything I'd do CEH last. Not sure what sort of "industry" you're in, but I know that where I am almost every one of these positions REQUIRES a CISSP/CISM/CISA type cert, and then stuff like CEH or Security+ are nice to have (but really nobody cares if you have the main one).

If he's dealing with 8750, CEH is absolutely relevant as it's required for some areas where CISSP is not.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ozu posted:

I was given a nudging by my manager to start pursuing a higher level security cert. I've been in a sort of hybrid Sr. Windows SysAdmin/IT Security role for a few years now and with a new CIO re-org coming, it definitely can't hurt. My future goal is to move into a senior ITSec role when/if one becomes available.

I assume he's nudging me towards CISSP but I think CCNA Sec, CEH or SSCP would also be valid paths. Which would you pick as far as effort and knowledge value go? I read the "Why You Should Not Get A CISSP" pdf a few pages back and I agree with a lot of the points, but if it ensures my positional standing at a job I quite enjoy, I still do it.

If you haven't spotted it, we have the beginnings of a pretty good Infosec thread here in SH/SC, too.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

skipdogg posted:

loving 70-647 test. I failed it again. Last time with a 683 (1 loving question) this time a 666 (2 loving questions). Now I'm just pissed. I'm going to study my rear end off and buttfuck this goddamn exam in a couple of weeks. It's always the same section that gets me. I've never used RDS in production so it's my weakest area.

Why isn't there a "I pay Microsoft 6 figures a year for support and access to PFE's so I don't have to know this esoteric bullshit" answer on the test?

Sup microsoft test failing buddy. I just failed 70-640 again. I don't know what i'm supposed to do know though. I studied for three weeks nonstop and went into the test and felt like I was going to not only pass but maybe get in the high 800s or 900s. Failed with a 605 :(

Not sure what I can do now to pass, I feel like I should just wait til I move and take a CCNA course or something because obviously I'm not able to pass this test.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
Speaking of 70-640, is there a recommended book or other resource for studying for it?

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Are there any materials out for 70-336 and 70-337, the Lync 2013 certs? I guess I'm asking if anyone has looked at any available materials, rather than whether or not they exist. I'm going to a 20336 Boot Camp sometime soon, but will need to test on both 336 and 337, so the more prep time I can have the better. I have no MS certs at this time, but I have Technet/MSDN access to all the software I need to lab it up, and work is paying for the class and testing. What's the worst that could happen?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Oddhair posted:

What's the worst that could happen?
Every question is some variation of:

What is the ideal datagram length for a Lync 2013 System Center (r) Conferencing Center VOIP call?

A) 521
B) 4095
C) 12
D) gently caress you Microsoft, nobody loving cares enough to remember that.

hitachi posted:

Speaking of 70-640, is there a recommended book or other resource for studying for it?
It took me about a month of 4 hours a night, 15 hours a weekend to get ready for the test, and I passed by like a 3 question margin.

The Microsoft Press Blue Books are pretty nice. I passed 70-640 about a 8 months ago now using those and the lab exercises it gives you. A combination of reading along, doing the labs, and swearing at it in production got me skilled enough to pass with a ~760. There is a lot of useful poo poo in those books, and a lot of crap you could give two flying fucks about, since nobody I know of use federation, AD RMS, or any network load balancing DHCP server clusters.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 28, 2013

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well

XakEp posted:

If he's dealing with 8750, CEH is absolutely relevant as it's required for some areas where CISSP is not.

What areas? In my time in defense everyone who was doing IT or infosec as a career was getting a CISSP, and the other people who didn't give a gently caress but were just put in a position like IAO/IAM/ISSO were getting S+ because it was a little easier to get.

Also, that's just US Fedgov as gently caress. The people stewarding our classified information? Oh we just picked some dummy we couldn't get rid of and made him do it, he's not an IT or infosec or computer science person but WHO CARES! :smithicide:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

pretend to care posted:

What areas? In my time in defense everyone who was doing IT or infosec as a career was getting a CISSP, and the other people who didn't give a gently caress but were just put in a position like IAO/IAM/ISSO were getting S+ because it was a little easier to get.

Also, that's just US Fedgov as gently caress. The people stewarding our classified information? Oh we just picked some dummy we couldn't get rid of and made him do it, he's not an IT or infosec or computer science person but WHO CARES! :smithicide:
I have the InfoSec thread bookmarked for lurking. Thanks.

CEH is one of the certs required for any of the 8570 network defense classifications. I don't work in DoD but the cert for better or worse holds value.

http://www.giac.org/certifications/dodd-8570

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Ah, gotcha. I didn't do much on the ops side, and everyone I knew was getting a CISSP anyway. I guess perhaps it was perceived as easier than a CEH? Dunno.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

penga86 posted:

Sup microsoft test failing buddy. I just failed 70-640 again. I don't know what i'm supposed to do know though. I studied for three weeks nonstop and went into the test and felt like I was going to not only pass but maybe get in the high 800s or 900s. Failed with a 605 :(

Not sure what I can do now to pass, I feel like I should just wait til I move and take a CCNA course or something because obviously I'm not able to pass this test.

Are you having issues with the material or the test format? Test taking skills are almost as important as the technical knowledge with these newer MS tests. They love to try to confuse you. I don't want to call it trickery, but questions like "with the least administrative effort" or the testlets where one line out of a 2 page background blurb changes the answer to the question can be tricky.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Are there any recommended resources for building a CCNA lab? I've read through a few I found based on a cursory Google search, but they're pretty comprehensive. I'm looking for something that outlines the bare minimum I need to study for the CCNA and isn't too overwhelming. I got the 2600 series router and 2950 switch recommended in the OP and I want to connect them to my PC to use with GNS3, but not sure what I need in the way of cables, WICs, etc.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Moey posted:

Not sure if this has been covered in this thread yet.

Are the 70-640, 642 and 646 really being retired?

According to this post they are still going to be active, just if you complete them, you will be an MCSA: Server 2008 instead of the MCITP variant. Potato potaaaaato.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/CertGeneral/thread/59cdd9a8-8d45-4079-9aa2-954c4b5d0194

If this is true, I may hack out the three 2008 R2 tests then upgrade the cert to 2012.

Anyone care to confirm or deny this?

Ganon
May 24, 2003
Yeah that's correct, MCITP: EA/SA are going away, 640/642/646 will stick around and get you MCSA Server 08.

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009

Sarcasmatron posted:

PMP Update:

I finally completed and submitted my application.

A couple of things that I found while going through the process that others might find helpful:

- The Experience Verification process sounds a lot more difficult than it actually is.

- You don't have to be a PM or even a lead on a project in order to record it as relevant experience. For example, if you were a QA Engineer on a Project, then you'd classify your Project Role as "Project Contributor". Even better, it's a drop-down list, so you just choose a role.

- Project Description is limited to 600 characters. Not words, characters. 4 tweets.

- in the description, I just related experience to the relevant domains (Initiating, Planning, Executing, Managing and Controlling, Closing).

- You don't have to have hours in each domain on every project. Using the above QA Engineer example, you may have nothing to do with Initiating or Executing, so don't worry about needing to have time against every domain on every project.

Audit Preparation:

- Contact the managers referenced in the Experience Verification section of your application. Let them know that you're applying and that work performed under their management is being submitted. Have them review the application and answer any questions they may have. Let them know that in the event of an audit, they will simply have to verify your submission. Also a good idea to let them know that audits are 100% random and not a reflection on you as an applicant.

- Make sure your resume is consistent with your application.

Don't let all of the hype surrounding the experience verification process stop you from getting your PMP: once you're actually moving through the process it's not a big deal. I didn't bother with any of the experience verification worksheets floating around: I did the work directly in the application, as you can save the application and go back to it before you submit. I can't tell you how many times over the last 5 years I've downloaded one of those worksheets, opened it up and said "screw this", and not bother applying. This time I said "screw this" and applied. A side-effect of this has been two of the managers referenced tell me how they were amazed that an actual application is so much more straightforward than they thought and how they are going to now go get their PMP. Go figure.

If anyone has a questions, feel free to PM me or ask.

I've been looking into this and got the go ahead from my boss to go ahead and schedule my boot camp class. Thinking that with my schedule i can't take them until June but I'd like to get a jump start. Should I go ahead and pick up that Head First book if I have little to no experience with PMP? I'm pretty sure I can meet the hour requirements but I've never thought of myself as a "project manager" even though it's pretty much all I do in my day to day job. I just don't manage anyone...

Ser Pounce
Feb 9, 2010

In this world the weak are always victims of the strong

Chalets the Baka posted:

Are there any recommended resources for building a CCNA lab? I've read through a few I found based on a cursory Google search, but they're pretty comprehensive. I'm looking for something that outlines the bare minimum I need to study for the CCNA and isn't too overwhelming. I got the 2600 series router and 2950 switch recommended in the OP and I want to connect them to my PC to use with GNS3, but not sure what I need in the way of cables, WICs, etc.

Jeremy Cioara has a nice home lab for ccna 'micronugget' you can find on youtube that will give you a thorough rundown on the basics and how to expand it, but your existing 2600 has two routable Ethernet sockets so you don't need any special wics to sit it between you, gns3 and the Internet and Gns3 can easily be connected via your nic by adding cloud with a bridged or loopback adapter. So with what you have already, assuming you have various IOS images for the gns3 routers, you have all you need. I'll be honest though, whenever I use gns3 I find that I spend a huge amount of time troubleshooting gns3 problems and not cisco ones.

If you can afford a few extra pieces of hardware then 3 routers and 3 switches should allow you to build pretty much any lab topology you might come across, maybe one 3550 switch for l3 switching and act as your core switch, the 2950s are fine for the others, and if you can pick up some cheap routers with wic1t serial cards and buy some serial crossover cables you can fiddle around with frame relay. I bought a 3640 for £7 with an nm-4t serial card (you could buy an nm-4as for your 2600 to achieve the same effect), and have a bunch of 1721 routers. Just keep in mind connecting like devices need crossover cables, otherwise straighthrough, and make sure you get enough of both to do things like etherchannel between the switches.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

skipdogg posted:

Are you having issues with the material or the test format? Test taking skills are almost as important as the technical knowledge with these newer MS tests. They love to try to confuse you. I don't want to call it trickery, but questions like "with the least administrative effort" or the testlets where one line out of a 2 page background blurb changes the answer to the question can be tricky.

Well the first time around my lowest sections were DNS and Certificate Services, but did great on roles and infrastructure. Second time around my lowest were infrastructure and roles (and I felt like I knew roles perfectly). I only used the CBT nuggets and the Sybex book, but I've picked up the Microsoft press book for it and I'll read it and do all the labs from scratch and take it again. Seeing that I can still take the test after July makes me feel a whole lot better about failing. I know I'm still weak on DNS, but I've been using AD since 2005 so I probably am coming into the exam with the mindset that I know everything they can throw at me but I forget that I have to go to technet half the stuff I'm asked to do in my day to day work.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Ser Pounce posted:

whenever I use gns3 I find that I spend a huge amount of time troubleshooting gns3 problems and not cisco ones.
This is a great way to put it. I've used GNS3 for about 10 hours, and I'd say I've gained 9 hours of GNS3 experience, 1 hour of Cisco. I'm sure this gets better as you go on but it doesn't make me eager to revisit it since I feel like I'm working on irrelevant knowledge.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This is a great way to put it. I've used GNS3 for about 10 hours, and I'd say I've gained 9 hours of GNS3 experience, 1 hour of Cisco. I'm sure this gets better as you go on but it doesn't make me eager to revisit it since I feel like I'm working on irrelevant knowledge.

Really? Every time I load it up on machine I just install it, test Dynamips, load the images, and build my topology.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This is why I use GNS workbench and Vmware Player. All free, Pre-setup and no issues.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

smokmnky posted:

I've been looking into this and got the go ahead from my boss to go ahead and schedule my boot camp class. Thinking that with my schedule i can't take them until June but I'd like to get a jump start. Should I go ahead and pick up that Head First book if I have little to no experience with PMP? I'm pretty sure I can meet the hour requirements but I've never thought of myself as a "project manager" even though it's pretty much all I do in my day to day job. I just don't manage anyone...

Having read both Andy Crowe's book and the Head Start book, if I was going to pick one, I'd pick Crowe's:
THe PMP Exam: How to Pass on Your First Try

When you say you have your hours, I'm assuming you mean your work experience, not classroom hours.

If you need the classroom hours and can afford it, I'd take a look at Velociteach, also run by Andy Crowe: http://www.velociteach.com/live/3-day-pmp-exam-prep/

It's $2500.00, but it's exhaustively covered from all angles. I'm 2 weeks out from the test, and feeling like all I have left to do is memorize some formulas at this point. We'll see if I'm one of the 93% that they say pass the first time: work's been crazy and I don't feel like I've gotten as much study time in as I should.

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009

Sarcasmatron posted:

Having read both Andy Crowe's book and the Head Start book, if I was going to pick one, I'd pick Crowe's:
THe PMP Exam: How to Pass on Your First Try

When you say you have your hours, I'm assuming you mean your work experience, not classroom hours.

If you need the classroom hours and can afford it, I'd take a look at Velociteach, also run by Andy Crowe: http://www.velociteach.com/live/3-day-pmp-exam-prep/

It's $2500.00, but it's exhaustively covered from all angles. I'm 2 weeks out from the test, and feeling like all I have left to do is memorize some formulas at this point. We'll see if I'm one of the 93% that they say pass the first time: work's been crazy and I don't feel like I've gotten as much study time in as I should.

yeah sorry by hours I meant work hours. I'm in the bay area and theres a "boot camp" in the city I've been looking at and work will pay for it: http://projectmanagementacademy.net/san-francisco/pmp-training.php

Lazer Vampire Jr.
Mar 31, 2005

Ask me about whatever fat loss diet is popular this month!
Passed the ICND1 with an 862. Something that annoyed me about the Cisco Press stuff is that their "practice exams" were outsourced to Pearson and are both full of errors and a needlessly complex installation and verification process to use. The actual Cisco learning system stuff was fine, as was some of the other third party study material.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

FWIW free CCNA classes http://slickdeals.net/f/5945944-Free-CCNA-course-videos-with-free-account-sign-up-INE-com

trotski
Mar 26, 2009
Passed ICND1 tonight. Wanted to thank everyone for the resources and input in this thread, it has been beyond valuable.

I used the INE CCNA vids, Lammle book and Cisco learning labs as my study materials.

Any opinions on which exam to take next: ICND2 or CCNA:security? Since they changed the reqs, I'm thinking of just taking the CCNAS next, but will I be creating a gap in my knowledge by doing so?

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

trotski posted:

Passed ICND1 tonight. Wanted to thank everyone for the resources and input in this thread, it has been beyond valuable.

I used the INE CCNA vids, Lammle book and Cisco learning labs as my study materials.

Any opinions on which exam to take next: ICND2 or CCNA:security? Since they changed the reqs, I'm thinking of just taking the CCNAS next, but will I be creating a gap in my knowledge by doing so?

How helpful did you find the INE videos?

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

trotski posted:

Thank you for this, I took a week long class for the ICND1 back in December, but I just now finally wrestled the test voucher from the people I took the course with, so of course my labsims are all expired, and I don't have access to the lecture vids anymore.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

trotski posted:

Finish the CCNA now before the new, harder version rolls out. CCNA: Security will be pretty easy to get afterward.

trotski
Mar 26, 2009

hitachi posted:

How helpful did you find the INE videos?

I found them to be very good quality for a free resource. Brian McGahan is a good teacher, isn't dry and makes everything make sense. YMMV

@Psydude - thanks, exactly what I was looking for!

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

I should really go after this CCNA stuff. Pretty much all of the Infosec Security Engineer (as opposed to analyst) positions I see require both experience with basic networks (easy) and a certification.

Are the books and stuff in the OP still considered crucial? I saw some talk of this earlier (but didn't pay attention, sorry) but what is required to set up my own lab and what's the approximate cost?

pretend to care fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 5, 2013

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

pretend to care posted:

I should really go after this CCNA stuff. Pretty much all of the Infosec Security Engineer (as opposed to analyst) positions I see require both experience with basic networks (easy) and a certification.

Are the books and stuff in the OP still considered crucial? I saw some talk of this earlier (but didn't pay attention, sorry) but what is required to set up my own lab and what's the approximate cost?

You'll want a book just to steer you in the right direction, even if you're already deep into networking. You can set up a lab for under $100 if you don't have access to spare equipment at work.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Cool. Should I start with a book and go cover-to-cover before ever starting up a lab?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

pretend to care posted:

Cool. Should I start with a book and go cover-to-cover before ever starting up a lab?

I don't know what your level of exposure is to IOS and the likes, but you'll probably want to read the book through chapter 8 (where routing starts) and then set up your lab because he has labs for each chapter and topic that you can follow along with.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Limited exposure, but I will understand the syntax fairly easily. I know how VLANs and networks and all that good stuff work, I just haven't had a ton of hands-on experience. I think I'll pick up on it rather quickly.

thanks for the tips :unsmith:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

psydude posted:

I don't know what your level of exposure is to IOS and the likes, but you'll probably want to read the book through chapter 8 (where routing starts) and then set up your lab because he has labs for each chapter and topic that you can follow along with.

Yeah, do all the hands-on labs. There are a few chapters where reading them confused me, but as soon as I fired up GNS3 and actually did it, became really easy.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
What's the process for buying a 2600 series to get an official IOS image for GNS3?

Buy off eBay -> Register serial number on Cisco's site -> go to download page and grab it

Or, do I need a support contract or how does it work exactly?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

hackedaccount posted:

What's the process for buying a 2600 series to get an official IOS image for GNS3?

Buy off eBay -> Register serial number on Cisco's site -> go to download page and grab it

Or, do I need a support contract or how does it work exactly?

You'll pull the 2600 IOS .bin of the router itself. This doesn't entitle you to newer release downloads unless you have an active support contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

routenull0 posted:

You'll pull the 2600 IOS .bin of the router itself. This doesn't entitle you to newer release downloads unless you have an active support contract.

Alright thanks, I'll sleep on it.

Are there any other good simulators out there for CCENT only (not gonna get CCNA or anything above CCENT)?