Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

In other words, they replace the original endings. Download them before you finish the game, and your endings will automatically be better.

They're alright now. Maybe still not quite as satisfying as one might hope after such a trilogy, but basically fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I thought it was worth getting the original ending first just for the almost palpable feeling of "What the hell were they thinking?".
I knew the ending would be poo poo but I was actually speechless. Not angry. Just speechless.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
I'm thinking of loading up Metro 2033. I remember Patrick on Giant Bomb suggesting I turn Russian langauge on, although I'm not 100% certain what he was referring to.

I'm not super into horror games, but I love atmosphere. Any additional non-spoilery tips that aren't on the wiki yet?

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Metro_2033

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Space Cob posted:

I'm thinking of loading up Metro 2033. I remember Patrick on Giant Bomb suggesting I turn Russian langauge on, although I'm not 100% certain what he was referring to.

I'm not super into horror games, but I love atmosphere. Any additional non-spoilery tips that aren't on the wiki yet?

Yeah he says to turn the spoken language to Russian and not turn on subtitles. Not sure I agree but he reckons it makes it more atmospheric. I don't know, some of the weird world details and stories you can hear in the stations are pretty cool, not being able to understand them would make for a lesser experience in my opinion. Not to mention there are parts where people will tell you to "wait" and if you don't then a weird anomaly will kill you, bit hard if you don't know "wait" in Russian.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

In Metro 2033, does your gas mask automatically change when it's empty? I didn't really get the gas mask mechanic.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Space Cob posted:

You'll miss a gently caress ton of neat fluff doing this since incidental dialogue is not subtitled. It's stupid to do your first playthrough.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly

The Dark Id posted:

You'll miss a gently caress ton of neat fluff doing this since incidental dialogue is not subtitled. It's stupid to do your first playthrough.

I started a game up with English on. Not sure if I'm liking the game so far (got to the Market) but I'll give it a few more tries. Thanks for the notes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DannyTanner posted:

In Metro 2033, does your gas mask automatically change when it's empty? I didn't really get the gas mask mechanic.

It uses disposable filter. Once a filter runs out, you toss it. Run out of filters and... don't run out of filters.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

al-azad posted:

It uses disposable filter. Once a filter runs out, you toss it. Run out of filters and... don't run out of filters.

He's asking if that happens without any player input though. I'm pretty sure it does but I've only watched my brother play it, not played it myself.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anatharon posted:

He's asking if that happens without any player input though. I'm pretty sure it does but I've only watched my brother play it, not played it myself.

Oh, I read "change" as "charge" for whatever reason. Yes, once a filter is completely used up you automatically change it but your mask gradually fogs while it's in the red.

Filters time seems to be random. Purchased filters give you about 10+ minutes. Filters found in the open are 5 minutes or less. The game seems to generate extra filters in the "wild" if you run low but you're still dealing with 5 minute filters that occasionally appear so stock up before leaving Market which is the last place you can buy them.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So, I'm looking at some older games on GoG I remember owning but never being able to play. Call to power 2 has caught my eye, looks mostly like Civ 3, but I'm gonna question if anything's up around here anyway. Also, there's no Civilization 3 stuff on that wiki anyway.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Space Cob posted:

Metro 2033 is best played on Ranger Hardcore, it makes the combat much better. The enemies die faster and so do you. Resource management is also an actual thing.

edit: Also, I rather enjoyed my playthrough and I had it on Russian dialogue but English subtitles. YMMV.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 31, 2013

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Warlock:Master of the Arcane.

It's turned out pretty nice. I'm kinda having trouble playing, though. Any advice, particularly with the Armageddon game mode, would be nice.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Nothing in the wiki for Need for Speed Most Wanted 2012. It seems straightforward enough, but does anyone have any tips or information they wish they had known beforehand?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Bloodly posted:

Warlock:Master of the Arcane.

How to Win at Armageddon:

1: Play a normal game first.

Armageddon is hard mode, and you need a basic familiarity with the units, and how the game works, particularly perks, damage types, alternate dimensions, and holy ground/temple units. Learn how to link your cities together using chains of buildings, your units move faster down these "roads".

2: Escape from reliance on mundane damage types.

The early units of all races all inflict either the melee or the ranged damage type. These are the two damage types most widely resisted, both by the Dremer, and by the monsters infesting alternate dimension portals. Rush an early city down the arcane path and get some mages.

3: Don't accept counterattack damage.

Always attack dremer with ranged units first, only attacking from close range once they're weakened.

4: Get access to temple units.

The instant you find your first holy ground, you need to postpone all your other plans to focus on killing the fire elemental and getting control of it. Drop fireballs from the sky, enchant your archers with frost weapons, bring over those mages or heroes if you have them, but kill him and get that temple built.

5: Don't choose a stupid temple.

Settle next to that holy ground and build a temple ASAP. The temple you choose will depend somewhat on your race, but since your goal is to kill the dremer, a lot of options are out. Krolm is bad (low defense melee units). Lunord is bad (bad spell access). Grum-gog is bad bad bad (bad units, bad spells). Pick Agrela or Helia, Dauros makes a great second temple if you already have a temple to one of the other two. If you're playing the undead, Krypta is good too. Whichever you pick, build all but a couple of your temples to that deity, so you get access to that deity's high-level spells. Agrela and Dauros both have excellent terraforming spells that will let you reclaim your land from the corruption and supercharge your economy.

6: Expand Expand Expand.

Unlike Civilization, there's no penalty for having multiple cities, so build them everywhere you possibly can. Your home territory should be one giant metropolis by the end.

7: Build Focused cities.

Name each city something thematic and choose every building there towards that goal. Build all the gold-producing buildings in one, and troop buildings in another. Since resource-generating buildings have multiplicative effects, going half-and-half in two cities is less efficient.

8: Get a parallel dimension.

The Dremer never pop up in parallel dimensions, so once you get five or six high-quality units, claim one and fill it to the brim with cities. Leave a token defense there to squash random quest monster spawns, and it will be a stable safe cash cow. Maybe move your capital there once you get that spell.

9: Perk up.

One 200$ unit with 200$ worth of perks on him is way more valuable than two 200$ units without any perks. Emphasize defensive perks, especially against the common damage types. Because perks are so important, I highly suggest playing as the Humans, since they are the best at generating gold, the perk resource.

10: Go forth, and rule.

Once you have a core of perked-up temple-quality units, you're ready to pan in the dremer's faces. Roam the world, exploring parallel dimensions and breaking dremer anchors. Leave a strong security force at home though, dremer never stop popping up.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

owl_pellet posted:

Nothing in the wiki for Need for Speed Most Wanted 2012. It seems straightforward enough, but does anyone have any tips or information they wish they had known beforehand?

I think the only thing that I didn't realise straight away is that your controller will vibrate (Even on the Windows version) if there is a hidden car nearby. At first I thought it was the engine while I was idling, but it was trying to tell me to search the area for a car to add to my collection.

I don't think there's anything else to know - as you say it's very straightfoward.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Renoistic posted:

I thought it was worth getting the original ending first just for the almost palpable feeling of "What the hell were they thinking?".
I knew the ending would be poo poo but I was actually speechless. Not angry. Just speechless.

I don't want to restart WW3 or anything, but I just thought it was a regular crappy video game ending, unmodded. Not good, but not worse than 90% of the games out there. The hysteria was sort of unseemly, IMO.

But definitely get the mod, it's not what you'd call a good way to end 40 hours of space biff if you have an alternative.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP

- You can hold up your shield to regen HP in combat. If you die during a boss fight, you'll be able to regen your HP back easily next time.
- Make sure the moon is full (with hard edges) before leaving the grotto when doing the bright moon step. It's easy to get burned and waste 5 minutes walking back and forth.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Speaking of Mass Effect, am I missing out much by skipping bypasses and hacking minigames in 2? I don't even understand what I'm supposed to be doing.

e: woops double post

DannyTanner fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 1, 2013

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

DannyTanner posted:

Speaking of Mass Effect, am I missing out on much by skipping them in 2? I don't even understand what I'm supposed to be doing.

e: woops double post

Skipping what?

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

The bypasses and the hacking minigames.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

DannyTanner posted:

The bypasses and the hacking minigames.

Oh, well, in general you get credits straight away from whatever it is you're hacking / bypassing.
Sometimes optional side rooms with some interesting logs and yet more credits will be locked by a door you have to bypass.

In general you're not going to miss out on a lot, although unlike in ME1, equipment in ME2 actually somewhat matters so you actually have some use for those credits.

The games aren't terribly difficult anyway;
Bypass is basically playing Pairs. You have to connect all the node pairs with the same symbol.
Hacking will show you an image of text highlighted in different colors on the top of the screen and you have to wait for, select, and then click on the same exact image from the ones scrolling past the screen, and repeat this three times. Don't select a wrong image and don't scroll over red highlighted screens.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The wiki's a bit skimpy on the matter, so anything I need to know for Disgaea 3? My experience is pretty much limited to having beaten the first game by the skin of my teeth.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
Yes sir, listening. No sir, no touching.

Burning Mustache posted:

Oh, well, in general you get credits straight away from whatever it is you're hacking / bypassing.
Sometimes optional side rooms with some interesting logs and yet more credits will be locked by a door you have to bypass.

In general you're not going to miss out on a lot, although unlike in ME1, equipment in ME2 actually somewhat matters so you actually have some use for those credits.

The games aren't terribly difficult anyway;
Bypass is basically playing Pairs. You have to connect all the node pairs with the same symbol.
Hacking will show you an image of text highlighted in different colors on the top of the screen and you have to wait for, select, and then click on the same exact image from the ones scrolling past the screen, and repeat this three times. Don't select a wrong image and don't scroll over red highlighted screens.

There's the occasional upgrade. For certain I know there's one behind a hacking screen during Garrus' loyalty mission, but I don't know any others off the top of my head.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Primitive Screwhead posted:

There's the occasional upgrade. For certain I know there's one behind a hacking screen during Garrus' loyalty mission, but I don't know any others off the top of my head.

Yeah, there's the occasional upgrade, but mostly it's credits, which you can spend on yet more upgrades (and which will unlock new research options for yet more upgrades!) and which are pretty drat useful, gameplay-wise.

You're not missing out on a lot of story content or anything, but the credits and the upgrades you get are quite substantial, so I wouldn't recommend skipping them if you're playing on one of the higher difficulties.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Anything for Twisted Metal (2012)? I played 2 way back when on the PC but this newest one has more of everything.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Any (additional) advice for Assassin's Creed 3 , specifically for someone who has never played an Assassin's creed game before? It looks like a lot of fun, but I am worried that my completionist nature will have me sick of the game because I will feel compelled to do every little task. Which side quests/activities are worth spending my time (in terms of both fun and making a difference in the game)? Also, will I be able to follow the story at all, what with all the crazy time traveling Johnny Pneumonic stuff going on?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I'm about to walk down memory lane with Demon's Souls and last I played was a melee character during release so I'm a tad fuzzy when it comes to the other builds. The PSN thread convinced me to try a mostly magic type character and I would love for some tips on gear, spells, builds, and strategies.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mayor McCheese posted:

I'm about to walk down memory lane with Demon's Souls and last I played was a melee character during release so I'm a tad fuzzy when it comes to the other builds. The PSN thread convinced me to try a mostly magic type character and I would love for some tips on gear, spells, builds, and strategies.

Do 3-1 early to get Soul Ray, then the rest of the game's just PEW PEW PEW

I mean, you should do 3-1 early to free Sage Freke anyway, but Soul Ray turns most of the challenging parts of the game into one elongated joke. You might also consider doing 3-2 and 3-3 pretty quickly to get the Insanity Catalyst and maybe the Monk's Headwrap. Both boost spell damage by a lot and together you can just melt most of the game with laser beams. You'll also get a bunch of spices from the Mindflayers and Dredglings, which are nice to have from a tedium standpoint.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Any (additional) advice for Assassin's Creed 3 , specifically for someone who has never played an Assassin's creed game before? It looks like a lot of fun, but I am worried that my completionist nature will have me sick of the game because I will feel compelled to do every little task. Which side quests/activities are worth spending my time (in terms of both fun and making a difference in the game)? Also, will I be able to follow the story at all, what with all the crazy time traveling Johnny Pneumonic stuff going on?

Sell it and pick up Assassin's Creed 2 instead.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mayor McCheese posted:

Start Royal. You get the MP regen ring which will carry you through the game until you can just munch on spices like its going out of style. Beating 3-1 gives you soul ray which lets you crap on most things in the game like they were nothing. Other than that magic is absurdly powerful for all the benefits it gives and as long as you go a little bit slowly you'll be fine. Don't overlook the spell that gives you defensive boost, it really, really reduces damage like nobody's business. Take the quick firing fire-ball to help you 4-2 as it makes short work of the otherwise very magic resistant foes in that stage.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Perfect, thanks a bunch guys!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Because you're a completionist, you're probably going to feel compelled to retry missions over and over and over again to complete the bullshit little optional challenges they give you (ie, don't be spotted, take no damage, fall into the water, etc).

DO NOT FEEL COMPELLED TO DO THIS

The moment an optional challenge starts to make you stop having fun with the game, just abandon it and move on, jesus, what's wrong with you. One of the main complaints I hear about the game is that the optional challenges are bullshit, and yes, some of them are, but...they're optional. If you're not having fun doing them, don't do them. Follow that simple rule and I think this will blow the game wide open for you. It isn't perfect, and I'll admit that the other games in the series (except for the first) are better, but this one's fun too so long as you don't go out of your way to bang your head against the wall trying to do things that you don't actually have to do if you don't want to.

Some other sidequests that IMO aren't worth the trouble

-Delivery & Courier requests: They're boring and I don't there's a reward for them
-Encyclopedia of Man: I don't think there's a reward for it, but accomplishing it is so, so, so tedious that no reward could ever be worth it even if there was one.
-Almanac pages: It unlocks some shiny bullshit in your house that serves no function, but if chasing down the pages is fun for you, go for it anyway.

On the other hand, sidequests that are definitely worth it include:

-All the homestead missions: I can't remember if the "rewards" you get for them are terribly worthwhile, but there's something just innately satisfying about doing it, and watching your little estate grow, and all its people develop their lives. It's fun, do it
-Peg Leg Trinkets: these unlock Pirate Treasure missions when you turn them into Peg Leg. The missions are fun in and of themselves, and the reward you get for doing all of them is pretty cool.
-Naval Missions: If you like the ship gameplay, then do them, they rule. If you're weird and hate the ship, then don't bother I suppose.

As far as crafting goes, don't bother experimenting with all the poo poo you can learn to craft and sell. Nothing will ever be more profitable than pelts (Bear, Beaver, Wolf, and Deer are your best sellers if I recall). Miriam will gather them for you for very little overhead, so don't even feel compelled to hunt them yourself, it isn't worth the time it takes to do it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

The wiki's a bit skimpy on the matter, so anything I need to know for Disgaea 3? My experience is pretty much limited to having beaten the first game by the skin of my teeth.

Nothing at all on this? :shobon:

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Are there any mods I just need for Just Cause 2 before I start playing?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Bolo mod for unbreakable tethers and long tethers. There are mods to cut out the delay for the black market as well.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Gharbad the Weak posted:

There's one mod out there that lets you fly like Superman instead of deploying a parachute. Good fun for an afternoon.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Bolopatch and something to make the black market better (cheaper, faster to buy, etc)

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I bought Fallout 3 GOTYE for PC ages ago, but never really played it since I stuffed up installing a bunch of mods. Does anyone have a guide that explicitly outlines what mods should be installed to make the experience better (and how to install them etc)? Or should I just play vanilla?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Shakugan posted:

I bought Fallout 3 GOTYE for PC ages ago, but never really played it since I stuffed up installing a bunch of mods. Does anyone have a guide that explicitly outlines what mods should be installed to make the experience better (and how to install them etc)? Or should I just play vanilla?

Vanilla is pretty much fine the way it is. The only stuff you might want to change is visual but give the game a go before making choices about that. Some people like the green tint on the game and others loath it. The one major piece of advice I would give is don't play operation anchorage too early. Its easy to complete very early and the quest rewards are completely game breaking.