Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Lum posted:

So today I started Firefox uploading a 300MB file to a cloud storage site (d-h.st if it makes a difference) and then went out for lunch.

When I got back, Windows 8 had helpfully hibernated my PC and stopped the upload from happening.

Initially I was all "loving windows 8" but then I remembered that it has a mechanism where software can tell it "hey, I'm doing poo poo here, don't you dare go to sleep on me", so now I'm blaming Firefox for not doing this.

How can I make Firefox do this?
Are you sure this is what happened? Windows won't put the system to sleep if there's network activity for exactly this reason, so it sounds like something else prevented the transfer, thus allowing the system to sleep.

Edit: In fact, you should only ever see the system resuming from Hibernate after a power interruption, as Hybrid Standby means the system should resume from Standby instead if it remained powered.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

^^ I'm not sure that is what happened no, I wasn't even in the house when it happened. According to this article Windows 7 (and so presumably 8 as well) doesn't care about network activity and will go to sleep regardless of your file transfers. I should probably also clarify, this is hybrid-sleep not true hibernate, in case it makes a difference.

xamphear posted:

You're probably better off disabling hibernation completely, unless you really have a need for it. Plus it'll free up a few gigs of disk space. Open a command prompt as administrator and run: powercfg -h off

Bit of a sledgehammer to crack a wallnut option that. I'd rather keep hibernate on.

Was hoping there'd be either an addon or at least a "that's fixed in FF20". Firefox should probably also be doing this during downloading too.

Lum fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 21, 2013

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I was wrong. Aurora still locks up on my Xoom tablet.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Does anyone know why http://www.theverge.com/ loads really slow if Ghostery is enabled? Kinda sucks

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

cremnob posted:

Does anyone know why http://www.theverge.com/ loads really slow if Ghostery is enabled? Kinda sucks
Ghostery replaces some social media related scripts with scripts of their own that simulate being there while not actually transmitting (real) data. This is a complicated approach and doesn't automatically work well with all sites. In this case, the script seems to hang.

In Ghostery settings, search for "Google AJAX Search API" and uncheck it, that fixes it for the time being. And maybe notify the makers of Ghostery that The Verge doesn't work properly with that script or just wait for them to update.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

Ghostery replaces some social media related scripts with scripts of their own that simulate being there while not actually transmitting (real) data. This is a complicated approach and doesn't automatically work well with all sites. In this case, the script seems to hang.

In Ghostery settings, search for "Google AJAX Search API" and uncheck it, that fixes it for the time being. And maybe notify the makers of Ghostery that The Verge doesn't work properly with that script or just wait for them to update.

Tried that but it still loads slow, it's probably something else.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

cremnob posted:

Well, that might be due to additional scripts that Ghostery replaces, but that I block with RequestPolicy and Noscript. I didn't bother to test them all as the page loaded instantly for me after I let the Google API through. :shrug:

I only found out about ajax.googleapis.com in the first place because I have it allowed for another site. The page works fine with the scripts blocked rather than replaced with a fake one.

In any case, the issue is with Ghostery and you should probably take this up with them.

vvvvv :confused: sbnation.com is where it gets its pictures and css, if you block requests to it, you get a text only website. That doesn't seem like a very good solution.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 22, 2013

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

cremnob posted:

At a quick test some script from sbnation.com seems to be the culprit. If you don't want to install NoScript/RequestPolicy just block that site in a firewall or something.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Lum posted:

How can I make Firefox do this?

Here's what the code looks like: http://pinvoke.net/default.aspx/kernel32/SetThreadExecutionState.html

You could write a quick command line app in C# that prevents it:

code:
SetThreadExecutionState(ExecutionState.EsContinuous | ExecutionState.EsSystemRequired);
Console.ReadLine();
SetThreadExecutionState(ExecutionState.EsContinuous);
That probably doesn't answer your question, though.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

So there is this extension called Magic Actions for YouTube that makes YouTube look a whole lot nicer to browse and watch videos on, and it was working well before and suddenly it just doesn't really work anymore. If anyone else here has heard of this and uses it, could you tell me if it still works for you and my Firefox is just weird or does it not work for any of you as well?

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Thunderfinger posted:

So there is this extension called Magic Actions for YouTube that makes YouTube look a whole lot nicer to browse and watch videos on, and it was working well before and suddenly it just doesn't really work anymore. If anyone else here has heard of this and uses it, could you tell me if it still works for you and my Firefox is just weird or does it not work for any of you as well?
Yeah, something is off with it right now. Luckily, the auto-HD, buffering, and other more minor features still work fine. Just not the extra wide or cinema modes and a couple other things.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

crestfallen posted:

Yeah, something is off with it right now. Luckily, the auto-HD, buffering, and other more minor features still work fine. Just not the extra wide or cinema modes and a couple other things.

I like the app but why do you have to download it from a separate site? Is there a reason its not on the Firefox add-ons site?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I use the Yousable Tube Fix script for the same reasons, and it occasionally stops working because the Youtube team has decided to fiddle with poo poo (renamed DIVs, etc.) that are invisible to the user but these things hook into. Just have to hope the developers are on the ball.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Sri.Theo posted:

I like the app but why do you have to download it from a separate site? Is there a reason its not on the Firefox add-ons site?
It's fixed now :)

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Sri.Theo posted:

Originally, it's a Chrome add-on. They've made a Firefox version as well, I guess.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
I've been using Chrome for almost a year now and want to switch back to Firefox. Not a deal breaker but in Chrome I could right click on hightlighted text and have it read back to me via Mac OS's built-in text to speech engine. This option isn't available in Firefox and using the combo key to initiate it doesn't work either. Anyone know how to fix this?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

crestfallen posted:

It's fixed now :)

By fixed do you mean the earlier problems or that its in the add-ons library or just the earlier problems?

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Sri.Theo posted:

By fixed do you mean the earlier problems or that its in the add-ons library or just the earlier problems?
The Magic Actions add-on was updated (coincidentally) and everything is working normally for me now.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

For the past couple days I've had trouble with that black diamond missing character sign replacing certain basic punctuation marks like commas and parentheses on a couple web pages. Most display fine, but it's still a hassle. I use Win7 and I'm on the Beta channel, and the problem occurred both before and after today's update.

Any ideas what's causing it and how to fix it?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
That sounds like a character encoding issue, try manually changing it by hitting alt, then going to View, Character encoding.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
So Mozilla just changed the world: Mozilla has partnered with Epic Games and have ported the Unreal 3 engine to asm.js+WebGL. asm.js is a new technology from Mozilla that allows a subset of JavaScript to run with performance near to that of native code, by mapping directly to an optimized 64-bit library shipped in the browser. Applications using asm.js will run fine in browsers that haven't added asm.js, though without the performance improvements. WebGL allows for web content to do 3D rendering on the videocard, much like OpenGL for native apps. When asm.js and WebGL are combined, you can produce applications that can run on any modern browser, but that run with the speed of native applications on cutting-edge browsers.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 28, 2013

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
That looks pretty awesome and has the advantage of a fallback so it can run on any browser that has JS/WebGL, unlike Native Client. If they can increase performance more (right now they said it's about half as fast as native code) it could be a big thing.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Alereon posted:

So Mozilla just changed the world: Mozilla has partnered with Epic Games and have ported the Unreal 3 engine to asm.js+WebGL. asm.js is a new technology from Mozilla that allows a subset of JavaScript to run with the performance of native code, by mapping directly to an optimized 64-bit library shipped in the browser. Applications using asm.js will run fine in browsers that haven't added asm.js, though without the performance improvements. WebGL allows for web content to do 3D rendering on the videocard, much like OpenGL for native apps. When asm.js and WebGL are combined, you can produce applications that can run on any modern browser, but that run with the speed of native applications on cutting-edge browsers.

I love Firefox so much.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Fangs404 posted:

I love Firefox so much.
Every so often I decide that I'm gonna switch back to Chrome due to how sluggish Firefox is with regular lock-ups, then I read stuff like this...

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Question Mark Mound posted:

Every so often I decide that I'm gonna switch back to Chrome due to how sluggish Firefox is with regular lock-ups, then I read stuff like this...

Firefox shouldn't be sluggish or locking up regularly. I've got 10 extensions installed in Aurora and usually have around 2 dozen tabs open and it works really well. I have a fast computer but even with a lower spec machine you shouldn't be getting crap performance. Have you tried the troubleshooting steps in the OP?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Firefox shouldn't be sluggish or locking up regularly. I've got 10 extensions installed in Aurora and usually have around 2 dozen tabs open and it works really well. I have a fast computer but even with a lower spec machine you shouldn't be getting crap performance. Have you tried the troubleshooting steps in the OP?
A couple of times. Even fresh installs with no plugins installed on perfectly good computers, Firefox I've found can be slow to load and if one tab has the slightest fault (e.g. Flash plugin crashing, or some javascript error) then every window I have open just hangs. I do wish every browser had Chrome's "every tab is its own process" thing.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Question Mark Mound posted:

I do wish every browser had Chrome's "every tab is its own process" thing.
Yep, this is my single biggest complaint with Firefox now. MOST of the time, FF is fast and responsive. They've come a long way with the UI and all that. But on those occasions where one tab starts to chug, the entire browser goes to poo poo. It's disappointing and frustrating in equal measure.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I've been using Chrome for several years now and I feel like seeing if Firefox is good enough to go back to. The one thing I liked about Chrome was how well it all tied in with your google account. The one thing I cannot find for Firefox are notification addons for google apps. I found one for calendar but it just brings up a huge window showing the calendar, I'd like just the icon to show how long til my next appointment. Another app I can't find is google voice notifications, I just need a simple app that makes a sound when I get a new call, text or voicemail. The only semi-solution I found was pinning a tab of the google voice page. Its weird how there are several apps for it in chrome but hardly anything for firefox. I figured a lot of people used google apps.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I have 34 extensions and as many tabs (TreeStyleTabs makes it manageable) and I'm only on an AMD E-350. Slowdowns are exceedingly rare and I haven't crashed since 19.0.0 (which was crashing constantly on me... or maybe it was 18, whatever).
Although I imagine the extensions AdBlock and NoScript should count for performance, rather than against.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Hogburto posted:

I have 34 extensions and as many tabs (TreeStyleTabs makes it manageable) and I'm only on an AMD E-350. Slowdowns are exceedingly rare and I haven't crashed since 19.0.0 (which was crashing constantly on me... or maybe it was 18, whatever).
Although I imagine the extensions AdBlock and NoScript should count for performance, rather than against.

Any performance tips?

I'm on an E-350 (W7HPx64 4GB) as well and sometimes it will hang forever, though I think it's the hard drive that's hella slow

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Any performance tips?

I'm on an E-350 (W7HPx64 4GB) as well and sometimes it will hang forever, though I think it's the hard drive that's hella slow
Go to about :config, set plugins.click_to_play to enabled. This prevents plug-ins from loading with a page, you will need to click an icon where the plug-in would be or in the address bar to load them. The big advantage is that you don't have to wait for plug-ins to load when you don't want them to, and significant security improvements. Your harddrive probably is the limiting factor though, clean the system up with CCleaner and run the MyDefrag System Disk Weekly script.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Another advantage of enabling Click to Play is that a lot of sketch background tracking stuff won't fire off. You'd be surprised how many sites do nasty stuff like Flash tracking cookies.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Many of those tracking thingies can be stopped with Ghostery too.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Anyone know what makes Bing your new tab default in firefox? When I start in safemode its not there but when I disable addons myself it still is somehow. I have no addons anymore even remotely related to microsoft. I even have that new tab extension that uses your homepage as a new tab, and bing STILL overrides it. Holy poo poo I don't think I've ever hated anything computer related as much as I hate bing. I just want google as my drat new tab page.

I have googled the hell out of this and nothing suggested works. I can't find out what extension it is, I have no Bing bar installed on my computer that I can see. What the gently caress microsoft? Insidious pieces of poo poo.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

Mustang posted:

Anyone know what makes Bing your new tab default in firefox? When I start in safemode its not there but when I disable addons myself it still is somehow. I have no addons anymore even remotely related to microsoft. I even have that new tab extension that uses your homepage as a new tab, and bing STILL overrides it. Holy poo poo I don't think I've ever hated anything computer related as much as I hate bing. I just want google as my drat new tab page.

I have googled the hell out of this and nothing suggested works. I can't find out what extension it is, I have no Bing bar installed on my computer that I can see. What the gently caress microsoft? Insidious pieces of poo poo.

You've tried googling it, but have you tried binging it? :smug:

Serious answer: go to about :config and look for browser.newtab.url, that's probably your problem. There's a whole bunch of settings around browser.newtab that like to get screwed up; I had almost the exact same problem except it was Google over-ridding the newtab quick-dial thing.

Fwiw, this isn't something Microsoft or Mozilla would do, so it's likely just a setting that got messed up somewhere. Bing isn't even objectively horrible but that's for another thread ^:shobon:^

benitocereno fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 29, 2013

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Thanks, I'll try that when I get home. Main reason I prefer google is I can go to my email and such from the same page plus do searches.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Lately, whenever firefox crashes and I hit "restore", it only starts reloading tabs when I click on them. Is there a way to get it to reload everything at once?

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Xander77 posted:

Lately, whenever firefox crashes and I hit "restore", it only starts reloading tabs when I click on them. Is there a way to get it to reload everything at once?

I think this is

Options > Tabs > Don't load tabs until selected

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Alereon posted:

Go to about :config, set plugins.click_to_play to enabled. This prevents plug-ins from loading with a page, you will need to click an icon where the plug-in would be or in the address bar to load them. The big advantage is that you don't have to wait for plug-ins to load when you don't want them to, and significant security improvements. Your harddrive probably is the limiting factor though, clean the system up with CCleaner and run the MyDefrag System Disk Weekly script.

I'd actually recommend the flashblock extension over this, still.

The click-to-play option works OK, but on a bunch of sites I get the balloon popup saying there are plugins blocked on *every page* on certain sites, when I don't ever want to see that menu.

Flashblock works in an identical way, but the whitelisting works more nicely, and it never hassles me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Is there a way to backup multiple different (home vs work) profiles with sync, or am I just stupid?

I'm only seeing 3 options, none of which I want to do. I can: merge with the already synced profile, replace this device's data with the previously synced profile, and replace the other profile with this device.