Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013

dvgrhl posted:

This really depends on what is involved in putting together the JSON response. Is it coming from a database query? If so, that could increase the server load significantly. It's almost certainly less load to do requests at larger intervals, and just return more information each response - if possible.

For instance, let's say your JSON contained the link to an image that you wanted to display in a slideshow on your page. Rather than making a new request every 2 seconds for a new image link, do one request every 30 seconds that contains 15 links. Then on the client side just loop through displaying those images every 2 seconds, and when you reach the end make a new Ajax request for 15 more links.

Hmm, well I will keep this in mind. Specificially, this is for a live auction site, where bids and chat will be updated in 'real time', and while I'd certainly like to do it with sockets/Comet, it's imperative that the loving thing be up and running first, as I am not all that familiar with them.

I am thinking I may approach this differently.

Nebulon Gate fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain
BuyVM just refreshed their stock for anybody interested.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

:f5: c'mon Linode announce the RAM upgrade already

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Has bounceweb died? Their blog/announcement pages haven't been updated in years and I just placed orders which were not charged at all (The invoice credits the amount I paid back to me).

e; and as I post this I get a reply to my support ticket.

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 27, 2013

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Dodoman posted:

Has bounceweb died? Their blog/announcement pages haven't been updated in years and I just placed orders which were not charged at all (The invoice credits the amount I paid back to me).

e; and as I post this I get a reply to my support ticket.

You've made a terrible, terrible mistake by not reading the Bounceweb thread in SA-Mart before signing up.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

eightysixed posted:

You've made a terrible, terrible mistake by not reading the Bounceweb thread in SA-Mart before signing up.

I got my hosting with them two years back. Things have gone south since then I presume? I couldn't find their SA-Mart thread, that's why I asked here.

I'm planning on transferring to apis networks right now.

edit; yeah they haven't charged me according to my CC page. There's nothing in the outstanding authorisation page. Guess I got lucky.

edit2; should I go with apis or lithium hosting? It's just a couple of light web pages and my googleapps email.

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 27, 2013

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Dodoman posted:

edit2; should I go with apis or lithium hosting? It's just a couple of light web pages and my googleapps email.

I can't speak for Apis, as I've never used their services before, but I hear they get quite good reviews. With that being said, I have multiple accounts, and even more domains, with Lithium, and I'm completely satisfied.

edit: Yea, the Bounceweb thread must have gotten archived. There's horrible reviews in this very thread about about them - They were even removed from the OP v:shobon:v

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Yep, if you look at my post history in the coupons forum and in this thread, you will see some of the bad experience I had with them. I ended up needing to initiate a charge back with my CC company to get them to give my money back.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I just renewed my BounceWeb account cause I didn't have time to shift my settings and domains elsewhere, though I was contemplating canceling. So far, they have been fine for me, but I rarely send in support tickets. Did they change management or something?

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

RocketLunatic posted:

I just renewed my BounceWeb account cause I didn't have time to shift my settings and domains elsewhere, though I was contemplating canceling. So far, they have been fine for me, but I rarely send in support tickets. Did they change management or something?

I'm not sure, but I also received shoddy service from BounceWeb. At the time it seemed like only one or two servers were experiencing problems, and im not sure if this was due to being oversold or an account hogging resources. Either way I had a lot of down time, tickets that were never properly answered, and when I finally tried to transfer away it took forever. I just cannot recommend them, especially when there are other more reputable goon hosts.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Oh My Science posted:

I'm not sure, but I also received shoddy service from BounceWeb. At the time it seemed like only one or two servers were experiencing problems, and im not sure if this was due to being oversold or an account hogging resources. Either way I had a lot of down time, tickets that were never properly answered, and when I finally tried to transfer away it took forever. I just cannot recommend them, especially when there are other more reputable goon hosts.

I don't remember exactly but I think I dropped them after they had DNS issues or something and my site would be down for hours at a time.

mooky
Jan 14, 2012
RE: Bounceweb issues.

You guys do realize that since Bounceweb is a cPanel host. You can migrate your site to any other hosting company that uses cPanel.
You can either give the new host your cPanel credentials and they can do an account transfer which copies everything from emails to databases and files.
OR
You can download a full cPanel backup and provide that file to your new host to restore. it contains the same information but then you have a copy for yourself.

That process should take less than a couple of hours which means you have no excuse for renewing with a crappy host just because you didn't have time to move somewhere else!

Just my 2 cents :q:

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

mooky posted:

RE: Bounceweb issues.

I think part of the problem was due to cpanel backups being turned off. Someone pointed out that the default is "on" which means bounce web set it that way intentionally, and that you had to create a ticket.

I remember the DNS issues now, my server was continue sly black listed.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Anyone have experience using virtualmin/webmin? I installed it on my vps and it seems like it does everything cpanel does, just with a way worse UI. It is free though which is cool.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Oh My Science posted:

I think part of the problem was due to cpanel backups being turned off. Someone pointed out that the default is "on" which means bounce web set it that way intentionally, and that you had to create a ticket.

This is absolutely correct. And they would only do it at some weird time, like 3am on a Sunday.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I was fascinated by the people who continued signing up for bounceweb despite their thread being pages upon pages of very severe complaints and no resolutions.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Stealthgerbil posted:

Anyone have experience using virtualmin/webmin? I installed it on my vps and it seems like it does everything cpanel does, just with a way worse UI. It is free though which is cool.

I was thinking about it, but it mentions installing it on a fresh VPS, which mine isn't. :ohdear: But I did install Ajenti, and while it has a nice UI, it doesn't do much as it seems Webmin/Virtuadmin does

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I really want to support Ajenti because all the other control panels have seriously awful UIs - even cPanel looks like something from the early 2000s.

Ajenti is still lacking some features and somewhat buggy - I hope the developers have a business model in mind and keep improving it.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
So starting up a VMware blog, mostly View and vSphere. I was looking at host gator but reviewing a few pages makes it seem like there is better out there. Most my media will be youtube embedded poo poo, other than that pics and text.

I am open to recommendations.

E: doing with a wordpress type site

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Lithium Hosting, Apis Networks, HostDime or Angry Hosting are all good choices.

Or if you're actually using Wordpress software, you can make an account at wordpress.com.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Anyone got some first hand experience with a good low-traffic ASP.NET host? I'm talking a few 100 MB of storage and maybe a few hundred visitors per day if things go wild. I need IIS of course with the URLRewrite module. I don't need a database, but the possibility would be nice.

I live in Europe, but my visitors will mainly be American. Some sort of global coverage (if such a thing makes sense) would be nice, but it won't matter too much.

I've looked at http://www.smarterasp.net/ judging a few stray reviews, but I'm open to anything.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

Pilsner posted:

Anyone got some first hand experience with a good low-traffic ASP.NET host? I'm talking a few 100 MB of storage and maybe a few hundred visitors per day if things go wild. I need IIS of course with the URLRewrite module. I don't need a database, but the possibility would be nice.

I live in Europe, but my visitors will mainly be American. Some sort of global coverage (if such a thing makes sense) would be nice, but it won't matter too much.

I've looked at http://www.smarterasp.net/ judging a few stray reviews, but I'm open to anything.

Maybe a low end Windows VPS from BurstNET? http://www.burst.net/winvps.php

I've been considering picking up one of their mid-range ones for a while now. You'll see some complaints about them over on WebHostingTalk, but almost universally it is the customer who is the issue not BurstNET. They seem to have a good reputation for a "budget" host.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

dvgrhl posted:

Maybe a low end Windows VPS from BurstNET? http://www.burst.net/winvps.php

I've been considering picking up one of their mid-range ones for a while now. You'll see some complaints about them over on WebHostingTalk, but almost universally it is the customer who is the issue not BurstNET. They seem to have a good reputation for a "budget" host.
Isn't a VPS a bit extreme for such a small site such as mine? Is shared hosting that terrible?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Pilsner posted:

Isn't a VPS a bit extreme for such a small site such as mine? Is shared hosting that terrible?

If there's not really a price difference ($7.95/month is right at standard shared hosting prices), just go for the VPS. More control is always a better thing unless you just don't want the extra control.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

eightysixed posted:

This is absolutely correct. And they would only do it at some weird time, like 3am on a Sunday.

If the servers are oversold, which they probably are, refusing to do backups at times when the server is likely to be in use is actually a good idea (given that choosing to just not overload the server isn't going to happen.) Better that than running backups at 6pm and having database activity grind to a halt exactly when people are trying to hit your site because CDP or cpbackup is reading from a disk that is already close to 100% usage.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Fangs404 posted:

If there's not really a price difference ($7.95/month is right at standard shared hosting prices), just go for the VPS. More control is always a better thing unless you just don't want the extra control.

Yeah, nice to be able to control app pools, etc, the cheap shared windows hosts I've used in the past tended to be pretty aggressive about shutting down your app pool.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

:f5: c'mon Linode announce the RAM upgrade already

Boom!

http://blog.linode.com/2013/04/09/linode-nextgen-ram-upgrade/

That means the based Linode is now:
code:
Plan         RAM   Disk   XFER  CPU                   Price
Linode  1G   1 GB  24 GB  2 TB  8 cores (1x priority) $20 / mo
Yes, that's a nickel more than the old price of $19.95

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain
Hot drat, I'm seriously considering trying out Linode now.

mkasu
Oct 20, 2012
Yeah, new linodes are awesome. Also thinking about switching back to them, but all those transfer/configuration stuff that needs to be done in case of switching scares me :( ...

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
e: wrong place

xtal fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 4, 2013

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

At least I know they will have reliable service, been with them for almost two years now.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Upgraded my Linode today. Upped Apache MaxClients a tad and doubled the APC cache size. This extra memory will come in really handy.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I hope they get Fremont sorted soon, I want my free RAM!

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

xtal posted:

Awesome, now they only cost twice as much as DigitalOcean instead of four times. :)

I stuck with my linode 512, even though I had $70 of free credit.

I wonder if Linode actually ends up losing revenue from people downgrading their plans.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I've done some performance testing with a Digital Ocean 512MB VM, and two different Rackspace cloud instances (2GB). For reference, I also compared them to an i3 iMac, Core 2 Quad workstation, regular Core 2 Duo server, Xeon server, and Core 2 Duo laptop.

My test was basically timing the build of nmap 6.25

code:
wget [url]http://nmap.org/dist/nmap-6.25.tgz[/url]
tar xzf nmap-6.25.tgz
cd nmap-6.25
configure
time make
make clean
time make -jx
Results/details:
code:
2010 iMac 3.06GHz i3 (OS X 10.8.3)

make

real	1m1.163s
user	0m52.426s
sys	0m7.620s

make -j4

real	0m27.565s
user	1m23.049s
sys	0m10.344s

Thinkpad T400 C2D P8600 2.4GHz (Bare metal)

make -j3

real	0m53.518s
user	1m27.305s
sys	0m8.501s

Dell R200 (Bare metal)

model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E4600  @ 2.40GHz
stepping	: 13
cpu MHz		: 1200.000
cache size	: 2048 KB

make -j1

real	1m36.524s
user	1m23.608s
sys	0m8.896s

make -j3

real	0m52.456s
user	1m16.007s
sys	0m6.355s

Dell R300 (Bare metal)

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E3113  @ 3.00GHz x 2

make

real	1m5.285s
user	1m0.080s
sys	0m4.324s

make -j3

real	0m30.487s
user	0m57.656s
sys	0m3.760s

Digital Ocean (1 CPU)

model name	: QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.0
stepping	: 3
microcode	: 0x1
cpu MHz		: 1999.999
cache size	: 4096 KB

make -j1

real	1m42.806s
user	1m33.178s
sys	0m6.100s

Rackspace Cloud 1 (4 CPU, 2GB)

model name	: Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2374 HE
stepping	: 2
cpu MHz		: 2200.088
cache size	: 512 KB

make -j1

real	1m44.300s
user	1m18.229s
sys	0m16.049s

make -j4
real	0m26.257s
user	1m16.989s
sys	0m14.781s

Rackspace Cloud 2 (4 CPU, 4GB)

model name	: AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 4170 HE
stepping	: 1
cpu MHz		: 2099.998
cache size	: 512 KB

make -j1

real	1m57.210s
user	1m31.710s
sys	0m18.461s

make -j4

real	0m25.248s
user	1m18.329s
sys	0m14.653s
The non virtual machines might be handy for a baseline if you're using a similar system for development or as a low-end dedicated server somewhere.

If anyone wants to perform the same test on another host, I'd love to see the numbers posted for comparison. I'd really like to see someone with an old Linode VM vs one running on the new hardware (make sure you use -j8)

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I have an upgraded linode so 8 cpu/1g RAM.

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5520 @ 2.27GHz

real 0m49.120s
user 4m17.791s
sys 0m52.835s

The only other thing I had running on the box was bind and irssi so nothing heavy hitting on resources.

edit: when I get to work I'm gonna get some bare metal baselines on some more boxes

doomisland fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 10, 2013

mooky
Jan 14, 2012
I'll play!

Linode Fremont 512:

make

real 2m48.869s
user 2m32.218s
sys 0m14.449s

make -j8

real 1m0.497s
user 3m19.729s
sys 0m18.601s

/proc/cpuinfo:
4x CPU Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5630 @ 2.13GHz

/proc/meminfo
MemTotal: 508100 kB

mooky fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 10, 2013

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

For some comedy, a BuyVM $15/year vps:

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5520 @ 2.27GHz

time make -j1

real 1m49.932s
user 1m33.136s
sys 0m15.254s

make clean
time make -j1

real 1m4.323s 1m3.823s
user 0m52.315s 0m53.069s
sys 0m10.568s 0m10.252s

Apparently if you do make then make clean it is significantly faster on all subsequent makes until you delete the folder and start over.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

Apparently if you do make then make clean it is significantly faster on all subsequent makes until you delete the folder and start over.

Right, because of the disk cache-but best case you're at least eliminating as much disk access as possible. It's hard to get consistency with a VM.

mooky posted:

Linode Fremont 512:

real 2m48.869s

:smith:

They haven't rolled out the E5-2670's yet? That's what I want to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Ok here is some bare metal I had around I could test on

Initial run

time make -j24

real 0m12.482s
user 1m49.615s
sys 0m7.972s

After a make clean

time make -j24