Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Silhouette posted:

Nice entertainment center, Grandma.

I'll kick your rear end any day of the week sonny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Install Gentoo posted:

Mattel HyperScan
5 games

I saw games for sale for this in the not too distant past. There's a local salvage/discount retail chain in Massachusetts by the name of Building 19. It's mildly terrifying to browse but you can occasionally find ridiculous deals on stuff. They didn't have the system itself though so there wasn't a whole lot of temptation to buy.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
We were talking about that gba thing on the irc channel about a month ago. Aside from a superboy it is the only way to get 240p out of a gba. Pretty neat but the price they go for on eBay it isn't worth it

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
It's kind of weird that I was a member of these forums when the GBA was unveiled, and I distinctly remember seeing people post the launch GBA Spaceworld systems. I just thought about them and man, those were some awesome colors I'm still pissed that they've never come out with:

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

absolutely anything posted:

Trinitron shrine complete.

I'm tired

What sort of video hookup are you using on that? I have a possible line on a 2001 make Trinitron that only has composite (and I think S-Video), and I'm mulling if it's worth it or not - especially since it'd be another CRT taking up space.

EDIT: I guess I'm wondering if (assuming you're using composite) I'd derive any benefit in video quality by stepping up to a Trinitron with composite hookup...

Kthulhu5000 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 31, 2013

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I was wondering, if I use an American Pokemon Yellow with a Japanese Pokemon Stadium, will it function properly or do I need a Japanese Pokemon gameboy cart for it to work?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SassyRobot posted:

That game had wonderful music though as far as Gundam games I prefer Power Formation Puzzle. Create color chains, activate power blocks, stock various robots or fling them at your opponent. They are such dear little robots :3: a shame I'll have to GUN THEM ALL DOWN MWA HA HA! FIRE THE SHIP'S LASER CANNON! There's also Battle Pinball. It isn't just Gundam but what's not to love about banking balls off of buildings to smack Ultraman villains?

I've never played that. I'll have to look into it. But yeah, Heavyarms, Mercurius/Vayeate and Tallgeese all have great music.

Install Gentoo posted:

Casio Loopy
10 games

Oh god the Loopy is so adorable :3:

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Ok, so I placed my Rakuten order a few days ago and just got this back:

Japanese I can't read posted:

この度、ゲームス レトロゲーム館において下記の手続きが完了しましたのでご連絡させていただきます。
・注文内容修正(送料の確定・変更、価格・個数・手数料の変更など)

手続き後のご注文内容を下記に記載しておりますので、ご確認ください。

ご不明な点がございましたら、ショップ「ゲームス レトロゲーム館」までお問い合わせください。

Google translate didn't help much- I think this is just an email saying my order was processed? I just wanted to make sure I'm doing this right and that I don't need to reply in some way. All the other emails so far have had English translations in them that were relatively easy to follow. Could someone give me the gist of what it says?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

DeathBySpoon posted:

Google translate didn't help much- I think this is just an email saying my order was processed? I just wanted to make sure I'm doing this right and that I don't need to reply in some way. All the other emails so far have had English translations in them that were relatively easy to follow. Could someone give me the gist of what it says?

Yeah to me that sounds like an automated email, or at least one you do not need to reply to. Did you order from Surugaya or a different shop?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I ordered from Auc-egames. Surugaya didn't have Super Metroid in stock and this store seemed pretty good.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Kthulhu5000 posted:

What sort of video hookup are you using on that? I have a possible line on a 2001 make Trinitron that only has composite (and I think S-Video), and I'm mulling if it's worth it or not - especially since it'd be another CRT taking up space.

EDIT: I guess I'm wondering if (assuming you're using composite) I'd derive any benefit in video quality by stepping up to a Trinitron with composite hookup...

Stuff definitely looks better than it did on my old CRT but it's still composite. I dunno if I would have bothered getting this if it only had composite but there's a definite improvement (at least in my case) if that's all you got.

The stuff I have hooked up via s-video and component looks fuckin' NICE though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

It's kind of weird that I was a member of these forums when the GBA was unveiled, and I distinctly remember seeing people post the launch GBA Spaceworld systems. I just thought about them and man, those were some awesome colors I'm still pissed that they've never come out with:

Nintendo teasing with colors seems to be a running thing. Every time I turn around I see a limited edition 3DS skin but oh no, it's Japan only. Okay I'll just imp-- oh yeah, region lock. gently caress.

All I want is a cute DQ slime 3DS.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
They need to bring back more clear plastics for consoles and handhelds. Even though I couldn't tell what anything did it's still neat to look at.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I had one of these and remember wanting one of the orange/silver ones, even though now I think it looks tacky as hell

al-azad
May 28, 2009

BrokenKnees posted:

They need to bring back more clear plastics for consoles and handhelds. Even though I couldn't tell what anything did it's still neat to look at.

Nintendo also teased this but it turned out to be a prototype to show what the internals looked like. Why, Nintendo? Don't you want money?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

It's no classy Entertainment Center Rig but SCANLINES :swoon: (click for the big pics)

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
From what I understand in Japan new colors of systems is a popular thing. This goes back to the huge used market in that country. People are willing to sell their old system for a new color one.

Nintendo tried out the multiple colors with the "Play It Loud" Game Boy, but discovered that the regular Gray GB still sold better. The only thing variant colored that sells worth a drat in America are controllers and even the default color still ends up being the highest seller. Perfect example of this is try to find a 360 controller that is not white or black.

On the plus side when you find a colored version of a GBA or DS you can pretty much bet you have something very rare. I am actually surprised how some of the more rare GBAs haven't skyrocketed in price.

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

To find the light you must embrace the darkness.

Keyboard Kid posted:

How much were these (before shipping, I don't even want to think about that part)?

A few days later here is your answer.
Maracas were ¥1380
Samba 2000 was ¥512
Samba was ¥90

Not a horrible deal but shipping kinda killed the deal so you definitely want to order a bunch of stuff so it makes sense.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Djarum posted:

From what I understand in Japan new colors of systems is a popular thing. This goes back to the huge used market in that country. People are willing to sell their old system for a new color one.

Nintendo tried out the multiple colors with the "Play It Loud" Game Boy, but discovered that the regular Gray GB still sold better. The only thing variant colored that sells worth a drat in America are controllers and even the default color still ends up being the highest seller. Perfect example of this is try to find a 360 controller that is not white or black.

On the plus side when you find a colored version of a GBA or DS you can pretty much bet you have something very rare. I am actually surprised how some of the more rare GBAs haven't skyrocketed in price.

As much as I love the GBA micro the American launch lineup was so boring. I like changeable face plates. Dear console developers, make your consoles easy to change the shell because I like customizing my stuff without resorting to lovely stickers. Thanks.

And I like themes more than plain colors. Microsoft got it right with Gears/Halo/CoD/Batman/Star Wars themed controllers. My roommate has every single themed controller for 360. Make a themed console or controller, charge a premium for it, and call it "limited edition." Bam. Money.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 31, 2013

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

Djarum posted:

To be fair, there are a lot of special editions and colors to choose from, and none that I can think of are particularly scarce. That and not all of the ones on ebay are mint, I've seen plenty that look like they've been kicked across gravel.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

BrokenKnees posted:

To be fair, there are a lot of special editions and colors to choose from, and none that I can think of are particularly scarce. That and not all of the ones on ebay are mint, I've seen plenty that look like they've been kicked across gravel.

The Target Red is pretty rare. There were also some limited Pokemon colors that came over here. I got the Target Red and the pearlescent Green when I worked at a EB in a college town years ago by some kids who traded them in for less than 5 bucks each. I gave them 5 bucks out of pocket just so I could keep them safe.

The best color for the GBA is the clear pink. It is what I bought at US launch and if you painted the inside black it looked even cooler.

Did the US ever get the completely White model? I know my Japanese one was pure White.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

BrokenKnees posted:

Hi I'm a green gba micro... Plz give me $200 thanks

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

the_lion posted:

If you don't buy it, you will never get to play the Highlander game. This is one of those cases where i'd say "Let the angry video game nerd tell you why it's poo poo."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fezuYstS0Q8

(He's got two videos on normal jaguar too. Terrible. Except Tempest 2000 that is.)

Oh wow, no thanks. I'd definitely go for VB over that. Though I'm not in the market for a new system at the moment, just focussing on the Saturn for the time being.

Did someone mention clear plastic? This is COOL.

The DK Rap
May 12, 2010
You know him well.

Akileese posted:

I was wondering, if I use an American Pokemon Yellow with a Japanese Pokemon Stadium, will it function properly or do I need a Japanese Pokemon gameboy cart for it to work?

The lack of a Japanese character set and the amount of data that was rearranged when translating causes the Game Boy games to poo poo themselves if you try to trade between english and japan copies. I don't know if Pokemon stadium handles this better, if it even lets you read data from an English game with a Japanese transfer pak. (My best guess is the game checks to see if the cartridge inserted matches the header of any Japanese copy of Pokemon and won't match English copies)

The DK Rap fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 31, 2013

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!

al-azad posted:

All I want is a cute DQ slime 3DS.

Closest you'll get to an NA DQ slime 3DS is this: http://www.etsy.com/listing/123251316/dragon-quest-slime-skin-for-3ds-or-3ds

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Djarum posted:

I loved the choices of Gameboy colors.. In fact, I even loved the ad campaign for it, I remember in Nintendo Power they had some creative ones. Like hamburger topping flavors being matched up to the different GB colors.

One of my favorite systems to this day remains my clear GB Pocket, though. Electronic guts in general are fun to look at so that kind of thing always appealed to me.

I wonder if the US mindset there that ended up rejecting that is for the same reason they tried to tweak game consoles to look "More like serious electronics" or whatever the rationalization was when importing them. So there was a preference for the kinds of colors you'd see on computers or appliances. Although I'd sum it up as "Americans are boring. t:mad:t Thanks for making it hard to get anything in cool colors anymore, jerks."

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Vinyl actually looks better than what you expect on a 3DS.

I'm still holding out for a white 3DSXL, and no amount of vinyl will help solve that.

drat you Nintendo! Your region locking is pissing me off for once!

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

ANGRY WASHING duh-duh duh-duh duh-DUH!

Akileese posted:

Unlikely, but I can take a whack at it later today :toot:.

I do know that the Japanese Gamecube games refuse to recognize non-Japanese GBA cartridges. Supposedly the cartridges themselves will trade between versions so that's what I intend to do. Unlike the GB/GBC games the character sets weren't just swapped around so trading does not illicit a nervous breakdown. If you go through pretty much anyone but Ebay cartridge-only GB/GBC Pocket Monster prices aren't too bad. I paid $4 for Yellow and $3 for Red. God I love the original sprites :neckbeard: my jigglypuff will eventually become a googly-eyed wigglytuff!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Midnight Raider posted:

I loved the choices of Gameboy colors.. In fact, I even loved the ad campaign for it, I remember in Nintendo Power they had some creative ones. Like hamburger topping flavors being matched up to the different GB colors.

One of my favorite systems to this day remains my clear GB Pocket, though. Electronic guts in general are fun to look at so that kind of thing always appealed to me.

I wonder if the US mindset there that ended up rejecting that is for the same reason they tried to tweak game consoles to look "More like serious electronics" or whatever the rationalization was when importing them. So there was a preference for the kinds of colors you'd see on computers or appliances. Although I'd sum it up as "Americans are boring. t:mad:t Thanks for making it hard to get anything in cool colors anymore, jerks."

You can always color it yourself. I spray painted my NES black when I was a sullen teenager. :emo:

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

DeathBySpoon posted:

Just to confirm since I didn't see anyone else list it, you're OK--it's just confirming your order and telling you to check the list below (which I'm presuming is what you ordered, since it's not in what you quoted) and make sure that it's OK, and contact them if you have any questions.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.

I've been looking for some kind of stand like this to put my handhelds on. Any idea where I could get something like this?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

StellarX posted:

I've been looking for some kind of stand like this to put my handhelds on. Any idea where I could get something like this?

You can probably just find the cheapest acrylic/plexiglass stand out there. For example:
http://www.amazon.com/Cellet-Clear-Phone-Stand/dp/B003I8Z12I/ref=pd_sim_sbs_cps_1
(maybe a deeper one for Game Gears and such)

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

SassyRobot posted:

Unlikely, but I can take a whack at it later today :toot:.

I do know that the Japanese Gamecube games refuse to recognize non-Japanese GBA cartridges. Supposedly the cartridges themselves will trade between versions so that's what I intend to do. Unlike the GB/GBC games the character sets weren't just swapped around so trading does not illicit a nervous breakdown. If you go through pretty much anyone but Ebay cartridge-only GB/GBC Pocket Monster prices aren't too bad. I paid $4 for Yellow and $3 for Red. God I love the original sprites :neckbeard: my jigglypuff will eventually become a googly-eyed wigglytuff!

Thanks for attempting it, I won't have my yellow for a few days. I basically just wanna know if I wasted $5 on a Japanese pokemon stadium haha

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Akileese posted:

Thanks for attempting it, I won't have my yellow for a few days. I basically just wanna know if I wasted $5 on a Japanese pokemon stadium haha

Was it stadium 1 or 2? If it was 1 you messed up.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

HKR posted:

Was it stadium 1 or 2? If it was 1 you messed up.

It was 1. I mean, it's not a big deal. I can always sell my japanese copy for what I paid for it and just buy an american version.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Akileese posted:

It was 1. I mean, it's not a big deal. I can always sell my japanese copy for what I paid for it and just buy an american version.

The problem with Stadium 1 is that it only has 40 or so pokemon in it. I don't think cross region transfer is allowed until Stadium 3 jp/stadium 2 US, but I could be wrong on that.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

HKR posted:

The problem with Stadium 1 is that it only has 40 or so pokemon in it. I don't think cross region transfer is allowed until Stadium 3 jp/stadium 2 US, but I could be wrong on that.

So can I just get 2 and use my yellow with it?

e: Excellent. Thanks for that. I'll just buy a copy PS2 instead.

Akileese fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 31, 2013

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Stadium 2 US yes, Stadium 2 JP unknown, not even bulbapedia comments on that.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Crimson Harvest posted:

Looks like RealHotStuff is out of EZ Flash IVs, does anyone know another place to get one?

I have a hard time keeping up with the pace of this thread but I don't think this question was ever answered. I found the following site selling the card:

http://www.0shippingzone.com/ez-flash-iv-mini-ez-cart-slot-2-sd-flash-cart-for-gba-sp-nd.html

Unfortunately whenever I try to check out it gives me an error before I can put in my credit card. Anybody know of any other place selling the EZ Flash IV for GBA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

RVWinkle posted:

I have a hard time keeping up with the pace of this thread but I don't think this question was ever answered. I found the following site selling the card:

http://www.0shippingzone.com/ez-flash-iv-mini-ez-cart-slot-2-sd-flash-cart-for-gba-sp-nd.html

Unfortunately whenever I try to check out it gives me an error before I can put in my credit card. Anybody know of any other place selling the EZ Flash IV for GBA?

Just shoot an email to RHS they told me when they expected their next batch of EZF4 so I could order it the day they were available

• Locked thread