Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

sandpiper posted:

Oh yeah, this might as well be a Falcom general so I'll just mention that I picked this up since I never got around to it.

The only version that appeared in the States was on the goddamned N-gage, so yeah. Really looking forward to playing this.

I'm actually working with the team making the English translation patch who should soon have the updated Win7 version of the patch done. The current released patch actually doesn't work for the whole game and is riddled with bugs. The v2.0 that's in the works cleaned up everything, we spent a few months last year testing it all to make sure it works with the Win7 version. They seem to be taking their sweet time releasing it, though. Maybe they forgot or something.

I've played the crap out of it, even got the official printed guide for it since 100%'ing that game is borderline impossible without it. The game is awesome.

Also Xanadu Next is not hard to get, they still print copies on demand. You just gotta order them through the mail order catalogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

toddy. posted:

I'm actually working with the team making the English translation patch who should soon have the updated Win7 version of the patch done. The current released patch actually doesn't work for the whole game and is riddled with bugs. The v2.0 that's in the works cleaned up everything, we spent a few months last year testing it all to make sure it works with the Win7 version. They seem to be taking their sweet time releasing it, though. Maybe they forgot or something.

I've played the crap out of it, even got the official printed guide for it since 100%'ing that game is borderline impossible without it. The game is awesome.

Also Xanadu Next is not hard to get, they still print copies on demand. You just gotta order them through the mail order catalogue.

Is the Vista version really that different from the Windows 7 version? I know I saw a Win7 version somewhere but I couldn't find one. Will this Win7 patch work with the Vista version?

Also thanks for your hard work, man.

edit:

quote:

It took a while, but finally here it comes: the Xanadu Next translation patch release 2.0 for all game releases, including the new one adapted for Vista and Win7 operating systems.

Thank you!

sandpiper fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 24, 2013

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

sandpiper posted:

Is the Vista version really that different from the Windows 7 version? I know I saw a Win7 version somewhere but I couldn't find one.

Also thanks for your hard work, man.

I think they run a newer executable version which has different checksums that cause weird things to happen.

I just tested the game and helped the main guys find all the problems that were left, the majority of the work was doppiapunta and gho's crazy hacking and translating.

Also I checked their site and the patch is up and has been for a month now! That's was good timing that you brought this up!

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

toddy. posted:

Also I checked their site and the patch is up and has been for a month now! That's was good timing that you brought this up!

Tossed that at the top of the OP. I'll find a better place to put it (and might do a quick section on it) when I have time.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Interestingly, while installing the game and then running the posted patch over it, I've got this. Now, I've looked through what I think is most of the box and material and can't find a serial code. I wonder where it is.

Another interesting note: I pressed "register" and it booted the game anyway. Guess that was pointless.

sandpiper fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 24, 2013

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Odd. I seem to be banned from that board hosting the Xanadu Next patch despite never visiting it in my life. They must have banned a whole region.

I don't suppose someone would be so kind as to rehost the patch?

EDIT: Thanks very much to the poster below!

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 24, 2013

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Tallgeese posted:

Odd. I seem to be banned from that board hosting the Xanadu Next patch despite never visiting it in my life. They must have banned a whole region.

I don't suppose someone would be so kind as to rehost the patch?

This is the one I downloaded from their site.

~all credit etc, translation patches are just fine iirc~

http://www.mediafire.com/?bzq8axf5j8mfrn6

edit: on the patch comments from the site, I see a note:

quote:

i have a problem with xanadu next and patch 2.0:
the game crash every time i try to drag and drop something to equip with the mouse
i am under win 7 64 bit

I have this EXACT problem as of right now. I don't know what it is, but there you go.

edit 2: I just ran the game from a fresh install sans this 2.0 patch in win7 x64 and it runs perfectly fine, without the aforementioned glitch.

this 2.0 translation appears to be the sole source of that crashing when I try to equip an item.

edit 3: I found the 1.1 patch here

http://www.romhacking.net/download/translations/1659/

It works just fine and everything with the copy I have, I'll wait to use 2.0 until they fix its bugs. A 2.1, if you will.

Game looks amazing for its age actually, once I've applied the resolution patch.

(http://www.scribesslate.com/software/xannext/XanNext%20Resolution.zip)

sandpiper fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 24, 2013

Huge Spatula
Jul 15, 2001

I like the pole and the hole, and right now I'm as moist as a snack cake down there.

The Mimic posted:

Do later games chronologically ever return to Ys or is that it? Or, do any descendants show up anywhere? I'd be wondering if there are any other Facts roaming around, since Hugo was left on the surface.

Isn't Keith in Ys 2 a Fact? At least that's the impression I was under.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I was skimming Falcom's shop site since talk of Xandau Next reached the Retro Games Megathread, and was reminded of the Ys art book. Has anyone gotten a chance to peek into it?

And just that I'm sure, this is the only version of Xanadu Next that will run properly on Win7, correct? It sounds like it won't be out until May, though.

E: Huh, I found another listing on their site that has the game for cheaper. Is there a difference between the two I'm not aware of?

iastudent fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 29, 2013

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

iastudent posted:

I was skimming Falcom's shop site since talk of Xandau Next reached the Retro Games Megathread, and was reminded of the Ys art book. Has anyone gotten a chance to peek into it?

And just that I'm sure, this is the only version of Xanadu Next that will run properly on Win7, correct? It sounds like it won't be out until May, though.

E: Huh, I found another listing on their site that has the game for cheaper. Is there a difference between the two I'm not aware of?

I have the Vista copy which was released before there was ever a Windows 7 copy, and it runs absolutely perfectly in Win7 x64. It shouldn't be an issue.

EDIT: that newer one you posted is the version that works with Windows 8, supposedly.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Finally came back to Ys Origin after a hiatus and marathoned the last half of the game as Yunica. What an awesome, awesome game. I can't wait to play it again as the other characters. Are the other characters harder to play? I was thinking of cranking up the difficulty, but if they're harder in the first place I'll hold off.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Every time I read this thread, I find myself considering a PS Vita, pretty much just for Ys games. I may eventually end up going that route, because it looks unlikely that the more recent games (7, Celceta) will show up in an un-hosed form on another platform any time soon.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Finally came back to Ys Origin after a hiatus and marathoned the last half of the game as Yunica. What an awesome, awesome game. I can't wait to play it again as the other characters. Are the other characters harder to play? I was thinking of cranking up the difficulty, but if they're harder in the first place I'll hold off.

Hugo is a good deal easier, and I think he ends up being less fun too. The third character is probably slightly harder to beat the game with than Yunica, but he's also the most fun.

I just beat the game with all three characters two days ago. It's definitely a pretty awesome game, but I don't like how getting all the unlockables requires you to do like seven playthroughs. I guess it does add a lot of replay value, though. The next time they go on sale, I'm definitely going to buy the other Ys games on Steam.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
Well, I'm playing through as Claw now, on Hard, and I'm not finding it super-challenging(pleasantly tough), but keep in mind he is a powerful character whose got the highest attack growth and speed in the game. I may actually go for Nightmare on him but I know I'm asking for it there.

I personally found the game easier with Claw and Hugo, but also keep in mind-I'm not great with/don't very much prefer 'Mario' characters, so to speak(aka, the generic 'main' character. I play Adol in Ys games of course, or if they're the only one, but if given the choice I go for some sort of Berserker/Big Guy/Monk type.) Most folks I talked to found it easier with Hugo/Yunica.

If I break all 3 down from what I've studied, Yunica is essentially the 'Adol'. Has a balance of everything.

Hugo plays more like a top-down shmup than a mage, I can say that. If you like shooters you'll like the way he plays. I think he has the easiest time-he's really not that flimsy as a mage(to be honest, most of their defense scores are close)

Claw on the other hand, he's the strongest and fastest character(I mean right now in the game I have, his attack power is higher than the other two at the same level AND he attacks at a stupidly fast speed and moves fast), BUT, really doesn't get anything in the way of ranged abilities for a vast majority of the game. Vast, vast majority. So all the instances where you could, say, rely on the other two's ranged abilities(Yunica's fire, etc), you can't with him-you're in the enemies' face all day every day. That being said, because he plays like a berserker monk I love him but if you are a bit worried about some of the enemies then yeah. But I found him pretty much insane in terms of power if you're good with close melee. If you aren't an in-your-face type, I'd consider Normal with Claw(my first full play with him was on normal.)

That being said, it should note that Claw's story is the *canon* one. In other words, Yunica's and Hugo's are 'what-if' stories; more telling 'okay, so what would have happened if they went through the tower? But the true main character of the game is Claw, so to actually play the game through fully, I highly suggest him, since his story explains a lot about the future games. I also highly suggest him because I found his story seriously one of the best JRPG type stories in a long time. As a character he really fleshes out and by far it's the strongest path in Ys Origins I feel(well, given it's the canon story it makes sense). Anytime someone mentions Origins, I essentially push Claw's path hard due to the quality of the story and how fun he is to play.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009
I found Hugo's shield spell to be extremely useful. Going from Hugo to Claw made it a little harder, although Claw's wind spell is definitely amazing in its own way.

unimportantguy posted:

Every time I read this thread, I find myself considering a PS Vita, pretty much just for Ys games. I may eventually end up going that route, because it looks unlikely that the more recent games (7, Celceta) will show up in an un-hosed form on another platform any time soon.

Every. Single. Time. I'm so close to just ordering one now. Especially with stuff like Soul Sacrifice coming out for it, too. I'm just afraid the whole platform is going to go belly up due to the poor sales.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well, I started my playthrough with Hugo on Hard. Been cruising nicely, except Epona was really hard for some reason :v:

No trouble otherwise though, not even with other bosses. I preferred Yunica's melee style, though.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

The Mimic posted:

I found Hugo's shield spell to be extremely useful. Going from Hugo to Claw made it a little harder, although Claw's wind spell is definitely amazing in its own way.

Every. Single. Time. I'm so close to just ordering one now. Especially with stuff like Soul Sacrifice coming out for it, too. I'm just afraid the whole platform is going to go belly up due to the poor sales.

Japan sales.

I wouldn't say the vita is doing too bad now that it has some games and a pricedrop.

quote:

I posted these sales in a sales week near the end of January:

3DS: 79.793
PS3: 17.242
PSP: 14.058
WIIU: 12.335
PSV: 8.495
WII: 2.170
360: 511

Media creates sales March 18th - 24th
3DS # | 76.553 |
| PSV | 41.073 |
| PS3 | 22.942 |
| PSP # | 12.690 |
| WIU | 11.398 |
| WII | 1.720 |
| 360 | 360

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Yeah, Claw is by far the most fun character, and he definitely had the best story too. I actually feel a little disappointed that none of the other Ys games seem to have characters that play like him.

I think the human boss fights in Claw's story are the most fun in the game, too, and that's saying a lot.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

The Mimic posted:

The ultimate problem is that Falcom is catering to their Japanese fanbase - which is fine, they're the homeland - but if Celceta and the vita don't sell well overseas, then I don't know if we can count on Falcom to reach out to their western fans.

Ne: And sandpiper already answered this for me.

Unrelated, but it looks like I'll be busy lately and won't have enough time to do that Xanadu Next section for the op. If anybody feels like taking a stab at it so the link at the top of the OP doesn't look so out of place, I'd really appreciate it.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Yeah, Claw is by far the most fun character, and he definitely had the best story too. I actually feel a little disappointed that none of the other Ys games seem to have characters that play like him.

I think the human boss fights in Claw's story are the most fun in the game, too, and that's saying a lot.

I totally know what you mean. I loved his human boss fights too. I also found I looked forward to those little intermission-stories with him every level.

I'm holding out some hope that the big white-haired guy in Celceta maybe has some stuff along those lines, at least he might have some fast, in your face melee. I mean the only way I can describe Claw is 'Berserker Monk' (in your face Claw-Fu and an awesome slide kick.)

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009
Oh, those sales aren't nearly as bad as I had been led to believe. Didn't the 3DS sell poorly too, for a while?

Azaael posted:

I totally know what you mean. I loved his human boss fights too. I also found I looked forward to those little intermission-stories with him every level.

Everything about Claw plays amazingly. Particularly how cheap his wind-dash is and how it acts as a moment of invulnerability. And how if you leave the stick neutral and use it, you'll often teleport behind the nearest enemy and turn to face them again.

Beyond just the combat, I also liked his story, a lot. He was refreshing to play as after Hugo, and I liked his personality a lot, too. I can't think of another character from another game that was quite like him, in terms of situation and the way he approached it, either. I haven't played as Yunica yet, because I thought she'd be too much like Adol from Oath and I had just played that through.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

The Mimic posted:

Oh, those sales aren't nearly as bad as I had been led to believe. Didn't the 3DS sell poorly too, for a while?

The 3DS did, yes. Remember, it used to cost as much as a Vita (250 usd), but then Nintendo slashed the price by like 80 loving dollars and then it started selling like hotcakes.

Now that there's just recently been a 5,000 yen pricedrop in Japan (like 50 usd) the vita's selling way better. Also it coincided with the release of a few popular Vita games.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The vita was doing HORRIBLY for a while but Sony has worked really hard to get it going. Right now if you're a ps+ member in the US and wait for a deal you could pay like 180 and get a vita, a memory card, and have like an 8 game library.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

The Mimic posted:

Everything about Claw plays amazingly. Particularly how cheap his wind-dash is and how it acts as a moment of invulnerability. And how if you leave the stick neutral and use it, you'll often teleport behind the nearest enemy and turn to face them again.

Beyond just the combat, I also liked his story, a lot. He was refreshing to play as after Hugo, and I liked his personality a lot, too. I can't think of another character from another game that was quite like him, in terms of situation and the way he approached it, either. I haven't played as Yunica yet, because I thought she'd be too much like Adol from Oath and I had just played that through.

I noticed that with Claw too-even though some of his aspects had things that could have been used in a JRPG type situation, he did approach them differently. I mean He didn't 'wangst', he didn't QQ, and while he did push some of it down he was essentially doing anything he could for Reah. Which, of course, ends bittersweet for him. I loved finding out the story about the Silver Harmonica, the Black Pearl and hell, all the books, and how the Sanctuary of Toal got its name. Also-and this isn't particularly happy for him-it highly points that Kishgal, since he survives, had lost control of his power and becomes Tyamalth(sp?), the Ice boss of Ys 2.

Yunica's game really is probably 'textbook' in a lot of ways. I mean she's the Adol-style character and they didn't really do much with being creative with the story. 'True power comes from within', 'plucky hero continues on' and other such things. It had a couple of 'd'awww' parts, but otherwise, yeah. It's not BAD I felt, and I mean I'm a fan of the other Ys games so I can accept a bit of textbook-ness with this series, but I do think it's the overall weakest of the 3.

Hugo's story, I admit-I thought plot-wise it was in the middle because it had more overall story relevance to the canon storyline, but at the same time Jesus, did I want to choke Hugo. I think I literally facepalmed a few times, like 'what is WRONG with you?!' Then it came together a bit more later, but yeah, it had it's moments.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

So I'm trying to play Ys Origins, and it just won't work my gamepad. I can get it to recognize input in the config menu, but as soon as I start the game nothing works. Anybody deal with something like this?

I'm using a PS3 controller via MotionInJoy.

e: Also, in the config I can't map movement to the gamepad, just the keyboard, but one problem at a time I guess.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 31, 2013

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
I'm afraid I don't use the motioninjoy drivers, but I have gotten my sixaxis to work with origin. Perhaps it's one of the modes motioninjoy is using?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cake Attack posted:

So I'm trying to play Ys Origins, and it just won't work my gamepad. I can get it to recognize input in the config menu, but as soon as I start the game nothing works. Anybody deal with something like this?

I'm using a PS3 controller via MotionInJoy.

e: Also, in the config I can't map movement to the gamepad, just the keyboard, but one problem at a time I guess.

Do you have it set to emulate a 360 pad?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Do you have it set to emulate a 360 pad?

No. I actually got it to work though, I just have no idea how. The last thing I did before it worked was set to steam to offline, maybe that did something :iiam:.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Azaael posted:

I noticed that with Claw too-even though some of his aspects had things that could have been used in a JRPG type situation, he did approach them differently. I mean He didn't 'wangst', he didn't QQ, and while he did push some of it down he was essentially doing anything he could for Reah. Which, of course, ends bittersweet for him. I loved finding out the story about the Silver Harmonica, the Black Pearl and hell, all the books, and how the Sanctuary of Toal got its name. Also-and this isn't particularly happy for him-it highly points that Kishgal, since he survives, had lost control of his power and becomes Tyamalth(sp?), the Ice boss of Ys 2.

Yunica's game really is probably 'textbook' in a lot of ways. I mean she's the Adol-style character and they didn't really do much with being creative with the story. 'True power comes from within', 'plucky hero continues on' and other such things. It had a couple of 'd'awww' parts, but otherwise, yeah. It's not BAD I felt, and I mean I'm a fan of the other Ys games so I can accept a bit of textbook-ness with this series, but I do think it's the overall weakest of the 3.

Hugo's story, I admit-I thought plot-wise it was in the middle because it had more overall story relevance to the canon storyline, but at the same time Jesus, did I want to choke Hugo. I think I literally facepalmed a few times, like 'what is WRONG with you?!' Then it came together a bit more later, but yeah, it had it's moments.

That bit about Claw is what made me like his story so much. My favorite part was how he was always lying to his former comrades, trying to convince them that he really did switch sides, and as the story goes on, they don't even believe him anymore. It was also a shock to see him eventually turn over to being an Adol-style hero who wants everyone to survive, despite the odds. Even after Feena and Reah's fate in the end he's still optimistic sounding, if not a bit down. My absolute favorite thing though, is learning why the silver sword was buried there. Having just played Chronicles+, that was awesome. I'm sure if I had played it in the 90s I'd find it even more amazing.

Hugo was amazing to play; filling the screen with bullets all the time, and his Boost was particularly amazing, especially combined with his Fire skill. Surprisingly melee-centric after that. I really liked his attitude early on, when he was simply insulting his enemies (particularly Epona) and when he predicts that a boss is going to drop down from above and so on. Of course, after he loses his cool and just starts yelling at everyone, he was irritating as hell. By the end, when he calms down and after resisting the demon essence, he's cool and calm again. Actually, after that bit, he's a LOT like his brother.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
I've beaten Yunica and Hugo's paths in Origin and I'm debating playing a little bit of Oath before playing the Claw to break up the monotony of doing the whole tower for a third time. Is there anything I should know before getting to deep into Oath? Like, is there anything missable?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

kthegreat posted:

I've beaten Yunica and Hugo's paths in Origin and I'm debating playing a little bit of Oath before playing the Claw to break up the monotony of doing the whole tower for a third time. Is there anything I should know before getting to deep into Oath? Like, is there anything missable?

Not really, it's not like there are special collectibles or anything, and pretty much everything you need you'll pick up along the course of the game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

sandpiper posted:

Trails in the Sky

People might want to check out the recently started LP by Cake Attack. Trails in the Sky is a great game, and I wish it and the series in general got a bit more exposure outside of Japan.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

kthegreat posted:

Is there anything I should know before getting to deep into Oath? Like, is there anything missable?

Late in the game if you find a ring the item shopkeeper woman wants to buy, don't sell it to her. There's someone in town who'll give you a much better reward for it. As far as I can remember that's the only outright missable item.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

People might want to check out the recently started LP by Cake Attack. Trails in the Sky is a great game, and I wish it and the series in general got a bit more exposure outside of Japan.

I just wish it was on a platform that wasn't the PSP. I don't want to dig out my crappy PSP to play a kickass game. :smith: (Same thing with Ys Seven)

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Well technically there is a PC version (and the PSP version is just a port of that), but the PSP one is the only one out in English. There have been rumors of XSeed trying to get the PC version on Steam though.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Well technically there is a PC version (and the PSP version is just a port of that), but the PSP one is the only one out in English. There have been rumors of XSeed trying to get the PC version on Steam though.

How strong or true are these rumors? I really want to try out these games and will probably pull the trigger on Ys Seven soon, but I'd like to be able ot hold out for Trails in the Sky.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
This is a series that I only got into fairly recently (hell, I forgot who suggested me to pick up Oath from Steam), but man. I feel pretty bad for Falcom that a lot of their stuff never actually caught on in the west; this is the kind of stuff I would have eaten up over the years (especially since I didn't really own too many of the platforms that the very older Ys games were localized for). Hell, if my PSP still functioned properly, I would have gotten Ys Seven a long time ago. I bought the box-set for Trails in the Sky basically on a whim, but my sequel OCD is preventing me from even touching the game until we get word that XSEED is doing something about the Second Chapter.

In fact, XSEED, just make my life easier and do everything concerning this series on Steam from now on (as much as reasonably possible, that is). Between getting into Ys and reading up on some of Falcom's other series, I would even blind buy some of those when I am guaranteed I would have passed on stuff like Xanadu, Trails, Dinosaur, etc. years ago.

I also did buy Ys I and II from Steam randomly and did not really dive into it yet. I hope that the "bump" system isn't too jarring from what I'm used to in Oath and Origin.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The bump system is definitely weird if you're coming off of the newer games but after a while it's not that bad. Best part about it is that enemies loving explode as if they've been run over by a freight train and it's hilarious once you're strong enough to one shot them. My advice is to hit enemies diagonally which makes everything 90% easier to kill.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

kthegreat posted:

Yes, there's a couple of quests that are missable too, if I'm not mistaken. One involves Elena and starts at a certain point, the other starts outside of the castle at a certain point. The castle one is the easiest to miss, I think. Basically, after every major event, check around with the NPCs, I suppose. There's a guide on GameFAQs that highlights the few missable things, as well.

The bump system is a little archaic feeling at first, but if you give it a little time to sink in, you'll probably love it. It's simple, but it means running through an area literally means running through the area, with bodies exploding the whole way. Ys II has more to do, combat-wise, as well. It's really not a bad system, but I'm glad they moved away from it. If every Ys game played like that, I'm sure it would get stale eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Marogareh posted:

The bump system is definitely weird if you're coming off of the newer games but after a while it's not that bad. Best part about it is that enemies loving explode as if they've been run over by a freight train and it's hilarious once you're strong enough to one shot them. My advice is to hit enemies diagonally which makes everything 90% easier to kill.

Yeah; if you hit them diagonally, you're guaranteed to hit them off-centre enough to deal damage without taking any. Though I'm used to non-diagonal versions of the game... this one actually has one of the stricter definitions of "off-centre enough", I find.

• Locked thread