Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
G Gundam is the superior giant fighting robot series. Sorry you're both wrong, and that I was the one to have to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Casu Marzu posted:

We've already hit peak bloody

Ugh, no. They use a lovely bottled mix. It's not about the drink, it's about how much over-the-top poo poo they can cram on top. There are far better places to get bloodies in MKE (it's a great bloody town). Plus it doesn't help that the owner of that place is an rear end in a top hat.

Also: :stare:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
2 large cans peeled tomatoes, Italian style with basil
8oz lime juice
4oz Worcester
3 chipotles in adobo
4 cloves garlic
Handful celery salt
Handful kosher
Generous fresh cracked pepper
Grated horseradish (fresh) to taste

Blend, strain through a sieve. Makes about 2.5 quarts, goes brilliantly with tequila or Mezcal.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Forgot one red pepper, seeded.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Vegetable Melange posted:

2 large cans peeled tomatoes, Italian style with basil
8oz lime juice
4oz Worcester
3 chipotles in adobo
4 cloves garlic
Handful celery salt
Handful kosher
Generous fresh cracked pepper
Grated horseradish (fresh) to taste

Blend, strain through a sieve. Makes about 2.5 quarts, goes brilliantly with tequila or Mezcal.

Sounds close to mine, except for the chipotle.

I do Sacramento tomato juice, then heavy dashes of worcestershire, heavy lemon or lime, heavy celery salt. Then black pepper, old bay, pickle (or caper) brine, bit of horseradish, El Yucateco hot sauce.

Also good: Cajun seasoning, soy, fish sauce

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Sounds close to mine, except for the chipotle.

I do Sacramento tomato juice, then heavy dashes of worcestershire, heavy lemon or lime, heavy celery salt. Then black pepper, old bay, pickle (or caper) brine, bit of horseradish, El Yucateco hot sauce.

Also good: Cajun seasoning, soy, fish sauce

This is just about mine. I like a good hit of fish sauce definitely. I usually have tapatio on hand though for hot sauce.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Ugh, no. They use a lovely bottled mix.

Even when you go to a restaurant that makes their own bloody mary mix, its just canned diced tomatoes. I worked at a place that had "the best bloody mary in Austin" and it was just YAYSYSCO canned diced tomatoes, worcestershire, salt, pepper, and some other poo poo I can't remember. Point being, YAYSYSCO.

And the next Farm to Table rep that walks into my kitchen is getting a punch in the face, I make one order, and expect it before 9AM, and I get my goddamn arugula, romaine, corn, beets, and watercress at goddamn 8PM. I NEEDED THOSE FOR LUNCH SERVICE. Thank god for Segovia, and anyone who has Farm to Table, NEVER loving order from them, overpriced "local" poo poo produce.

Romaine covered in dirt, arugula was decent, but Segovia carries B&W at a competitive price, corn was meh, I was expecting rustic varieties, but I got just plain yellow(they were out, thanks for subbing without asking me, dicks!), and I'd rather buy my watercress from Hardie's.

fakedit: this post probably belongs in industry thread, but gently caress it. 14 hours today, and 16 tomorrow, with 50 last minute resos today, and I only ordered 2 hams, 3 leg of lamb, and 5 prime ribs, because resos were 140 on Thurs, and we're at 238 when I left at 9PM.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Even when you go to a restaurant that makes their own bloody mary mix, its just canned diced tomatoes. I worked at a place that had "the best bloody mary in Austin" and it was just YAYSYSCO canned diced tomatoes, worcestershire, salt, pepper, and some other poo poo I can't remember. Point being, YAYSYSCO.

Some are, some aren't. I think Milwaukee takes its bloodies pretty seriously. I have yet to meet a bottled mix I like, but some bars have homemade mixes that are just outstanding around here. And they're thick like Sacramento tomato juice, not that thin, translucent juice that a lot of bottled mixes are made with.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

And the next Farm to Table rep that walks into my kitchen is getting a punch in the face, I make one order, and expect it before 9AM, and I get my goddamn arugula, romaine, corn, beets, and watercress at goddamn 8PM. I NEEDED THOSE FOR LUNCH SERVICE. Thank god for Segovia, and anyone who has Farm to Table, NEVER loving order from them, overpriced "local" poo poo produce.

Romaine covered in dirt, arugula was decent, but Segovia carries B&W at a competitive price, corn was meh, I was expecting rustic varieties, but I got just plain yellow(they were out, thanks for subbing without asking me, dicks!), and I'd rather buy my watercress from Hardie's.

fakedit: this post probably belongs in industry thread, but gently caress it. 14 hours today, and 16 tomorrow, with 50 last minute resos today, and I only ordered 2 hams, 3 leg of lamb, and 5 prime ribs, because resos were 140 on Thurs, and we're at 238 when I left at 9PM.

How was last year? Forecasting and such? Not this helps at all. Hang in there. :respek:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Turkeybone posted:

How was last year? Forecasting and such? Not this helps at all. Hang in there. :respek:

Last year was 250, but chef didn't look at numbers, and thought it would be slow because he's dumb and likes to make me stress, and nobody would ever reserve at the last minute! I'm running carving stations tomorrow, so I'll stretch it as best as I can, and I've got lamb racks to replace the legs if need be. Tenders to replace to primes, but I've got jack for hams, and I just wish the man would let me handle more things because his head has been in the clouds lately.

Also, this Knob Creek Rye is fantastic!

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

bartolimu posted:

Okay yeah, maybe I'll do that next time. I was in town for Extreme Beer Fest with about twenty friends. We managed to keep each other busy despite everything getting canceled. The day after the blizzard we invaded Lord Hobo and filled about half of their tables. Probably drank half of their Edward as well.

I've heard good things about Craigie from other Boston friends but haven't been there yet. A couple of years ago we went to Boston Burger Company. Their burgers toe the stunt-eating line pretty closely, but they put out a tasty product and were great about seating our party of fifteen despite their FoH being the size of a postage stamp.

I missed EBF, going to have to pay more attention to when tickets go on sale next time. Boston goons should also check out NERAX- it's a fun cask ale festival, very laid back.

Craigie's is amazingly good, easily one of the best meals I've ever had. You should also try Russel House Tavern in Harvard Square.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Just got back from a Pakistani wedding. The food was absolutely amazing. I need to find a lunch spot since I blacklisted the usual Indian place for having metal in the food... twice. No alcohol was such a drag, especially since nobody at the work-friends table knew these things start over 2 hours late. Got there at 8 per the invitation. Everyone else trickles in by 10:30.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I never do a wedding without at least two flasks. Then again, me and my friends view large family gatherings you're not related to as a kind of performance art. You should be the life of the party, whether high- or low-.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Always a flask for a wedding or family gathering.

Re: bloody maries. I never use tomatoes, but I use roasted tomatillos instead. And lots of chiles.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I didn't even want to think about the consequences of getting caught with alcohol. There were probably upwards of 400 strict Muslim people. I had to be on my best behavior as one of three Americans.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I think taking a flask to a strictly Muslim wedding is just rude and disrespectful.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

It would depend on my relationship to the bride/groom I think, and their relationship to alcohol.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Yeah, depends on the people. I know a lot of Muslims don't have a problem with non-Muslims drinking alcohol around them- it's not a moralistic prohibition like it is for Mormons. Still wouldn't bring booze with me to a wedding, though.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
This guy makes me want to gay bash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfgLlL0Cm6g

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

dino. posted:

These are in the mail for you!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I like the creepy ghost guy hiding behind one of the cathedral windows.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
Starting to realize that its cool to have friends in good restaurants. Comped drinks, comped starters, random amuse bouches out of nowhere. I feel like a macher.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mindphlux posted:

battletech for lyfe dog :mad:

Did you ever play BattleTech in one of the BattleTech centers in the mid 90s? Apparently there are still a few around with the fairly outdated equipment, but I remember playing them in their original site on Navy/North Pier Mall in Chicago.

It was so loving awesome to actually sit in a 'cockpit' and pilot those giant mechs around trying to kill your friends.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Happyhat that is so freaking cute. It's totally going up on my wall once it gets here. Can't wait!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

TMMadman posted:

Did you ever play BattleTech in one of the BattleTech centers in the mid 90s? Apparently there are still a few around with the fairly outdated equipment, but I remember playing them in their original site on Navy/North Pier Mall in Chicago.

It was so loving awesome to actually sit in a 'cockpit' and pilot those giant mechs around trying to kill your friends.

Mechacon in New Orleans gets a half dozen together every year, it's pretty fun

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Used to do that all the time at virtual world in San Diego.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

TMMadman posted:

yeah, the virtual world tesla pod things. I used to spend late nights trying to come up with business plans with my friends on how we were going to buy some of those and make an awesome gaming center where we could all just play as much as we wanted for free. we were 15 or something though, so that didn't really pan out.

I don't know of any around where I live - I think there are some in texas or something, I should try and find some next time I'm out that way.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
man, I love amish salad. "Hmm, I just made some bacon, lemme emulsify this bacon fat with some mustard and apple vinegar and put it on some spinach and add that bacon to it" BOOM HEADSHOT salad.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Test Pattern posted:

JS Joust. As in Johann Sebastian. This is not mindless pedantry, the Brandenburg Concertos are a major part of gameplay (you could, in theory use any music that sounds good at random tempos, but I've never heard of it being run off anything but Bach). I'd seriously consider buying a full setup for it, if a full setup didn't run close to 500 dollars (8 Move controllers, a bluetooth hub). (EDIT: Apparently the intended retail version for up to 7 doesn't require the bluetooth hub? Still going to cost about 300...)

I know the music is super important to the game, but you are talking to guy who literally couldn't tell you Bach from Beethoven. I recall being told that the music was by Bach, but I didn't make the connection to what JS stood for because... Well, I guess I'm just not that bright.

Manuel Calavera posted:

G Gundam is the superior giant fighting robot series. Sorry you're both wrong, and that I was the one to have to tell you.

No, if we are ranking the giant robots, I'm going to have to go with FASA Battletech. I got to play at one of those Battletech pod centers in LA once, it was a blast.

For Kerensky's blood! and all that.

Allahu Snackbar posted:

man, I love amish salad. "Hmm, I just made some bacon, lemme emulsify this bacon fat with some mustard and apple vinegar and put it on some spinach and add that bacon to it" BOOM HEADSHOT salad.

One of the best part of living in Philly was access to Amish produce and baked goods.

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

INITIATE STANDING FLIRTATION PROTOCOL beep boop

dino. posted:

Holy poo poo, 25 minutes in and he's chopped 3 bell peppers. Truly a Slow Cooker :downsrim:

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

theparag0n posted:

Holy poo poo, 25 minutes in and he's chopped 3 bell peppers. Truly a Slow Cooker :downsrim:

That was the worst of it. I was just tapping my foot and pacing and just..."QUIT GABBING YOU HEN AND KNIFE SOMETHING!"

I mean its like watching your mom use a computer and just pecking at the keys with a single index finger every other second.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squashy Nipples posted:

No, if we are ranking the giant robots, I'm going to have to go with FASA Battletech. I got to play at one of those Battletech pod centers in LA once, it was a blast.

Those are fun, I'll give you that. But I stand by my statement for tv series.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

quote:

For Kerensky's blood! and all that.

:patriot:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

To hell with animation, MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries is one of the best PC video games ever made. :colbert:

Although it's funny that the discussion of Artemis brought up Macross almost immediately. The Artemis match involved us invading the Intel PC demo booth after hours, during the day it was a 5on5 LOL setup. The little exhibition stools the booth had totally reminded me of the "butt bars" used by the ladies on the bridge of the SDF-1.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Joining an adult picky eaters group is basically the best thing I ever did.

Decided to look at the Chili's menu today (boyfriend likes that place and we never go) They just like to spice up everything! It kind of make me laugh. They have a Five Cheese Pizza. Which has normal pizza cheeses but then pepper jack is added on along with diced tomatos and green onions. That is not cheese pizza in my book. They now have some mac n cheese but its Southwestern Mac N Cheese which has some peppers and chicken in it. Where is the normal comfort food I enjoy!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Joining an adult picky eaters group is basically the best thing I ever did.

Decided to look at the Chili's menu today (boyfriend likes that place and we never go) They just like to spice up everything! It kind of make me laugh. They have a Five Cheese Pizza. Which has normal pizza cheeses but then pepper jack is added on along with diced tomatos and green onions. That is not cheese pizza in my book. They now have some mac n cheese but its Southwestern Mac N Cheese which has some peppers and chicken in it. Where is the normal comfort food I enjoy!
Reading those is like reciting koans as I meditate on trying not to suffer fits of rage.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mediaphage posted:

Reading those is like reciting koans as I meditate on trying not to suffer fits of rage.

Venting a bit! I have been on and off sick since this year started. A cold, strep throat, strep throat trying to come back, and now another cold. I feel like it just hasn't gone away. Usually I am not sick like this. But everyone I have told tells me I need to eat better. I don't really eat any meat or vegetables and only fruit every once in a while. But I have been taking a multi vitamin, drinking protein drinks and also v8 fusion drinks (which are high in sugar but they are giving me some vitamins I need) and I'm sure that's better than eating a hamburger at McDonald's twice a week like some of them do.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I don't really eat any meat or vegetables and only fruit every once in a while.

What do they eat!?!?!?!??

I guess bread

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

There was that guy in England who died at 23 from eating nothing but chips and chip sandwiches...

Speaking of which, this picky eater poo poo is strictly a first-world problem, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

There was that guy in England who died at 23 from eating nothing but chips and chip sandwiches...

Speaking of which, this picky eater poo poo is strictly a first-world problem, right?

I can't imagine it not being one. Like, I'm pretty any of these people would eat normal food if they were dying of starvation.