Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
The smart thing to do was to pick up the habit of cheering for Chris G when he was coming in second in majors and looked devastated, so now that he wins you can feel good about yourself.

Like me. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
"This is a match now!"

No. No it's not.

Edit: Ok maybe it is now

Edit #2: Alright that was fun :v:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

K, THAT was sick.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Winners root for Chris G :smaug:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Let's give it up for Phoenix everybody. :suicide:

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
FChamp, throwing so hard he should be on Olympic Shotput 2016.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Champ was completely flustered there. Goddamn Chris genius.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
lol @ anyone who gets mad at Chris G's morrigan play

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You can't stop Chris Jesus and the multiplying of the Soul Fists.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
FChamp: Get hosed forever.

Big thank you to ChrisG for knocking FChamp out, but now Flocker has to win.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Main stage at final round is when you should have an identity crisis.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Brett824 posted:

Saying Chris G's Morrigan is the same poo poo every match is akin to saying a Sagat is just doing "the same poo poo every match" with his zoning. It's just not accurate, especially with how masterful Chris G has gotten at varying his gameplay and staying a step ahead of his opponents.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not very informed about Marvel and all the matchups. But when I watch a Sagat player, I can see how they mix up the zoning game based on who they're playing against.

ChrisG spams soul fist and uses hidden missiles against literally every matchup; I can't see any variation in his game plan to show that he's trying to respect whatever capabilities the opponent has. I have never seen him do something different. He spams soul fist with hidden missiles for cover, uses the mirror super whenever he gets meter, and repeats until he opens up whoever's blocking a fireball or a missile at the time. Then he uses a combo to kill them. GOTO 10.

On the rare occasion that Morrigan gets KOed or Doom gets happy birthdayed to death and Chris G pulls out an exciting Vergil combo to win the game? That poo poo's exciting and I like to see it. But it rarely happens and ChrisG clearly isn't thinking "Yeah so i'm probably gonna use Vergil to win this match" when it happens.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
ChrisG has succeeded, but I no longer have a horse in this race. :smith: I don't really care who wins between these two guys to be honest. :(

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Also Flocker reminds me of Chief Tyrell from BSG so I can't help but root for him.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Coca Koala posted:

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not very informed about Marvel and all the matchups. But when I watch a Sagat player, I can see how they mix up the zoning game based on who they're playing against.

ChrisG spams soul fist and uses hidden missiles against literally every matchup; I can't see any variation in his game plan to show that he's trying to respect whatever capabilities the opponent has. I have never seen him do something different. He spams soul fist with hidden missiles for cover, uses the mirror super whenever he gets meter, and repeats until he opens up whoever's blocking a fireball or a missile at the time. Then he uses a combo to kill them. GOTO 10.

On the rare occasion that Morrigan gets KOed or Doom gets happy birthdayed to death and Chris G pulls out an exciting Vergil combo to win the game? That poo poo's exciting and I like to see it. But it rarely happens and ChrisG clearly isn't thinking "Yeah so i'm probably gonna use Vergil to win this match" when it happens.

If it was that simple, he'd get figured out and beat. Keep watching, you'll pick up on the subtleties.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Mad Fnorder posted:

FChamp, throwing so hard he should be on Olympic Shotput 2016.

Seriously, does anybody know why he's not playing Dorm? It's his guy. NOBODY Dorms as good as Filipino Champ. Why is he not playing him?

Coca Koala posted:

And Sagat players spam tiger shots in Super Turbo. They are still loving godlike and so is Chris G. When the videos of these matches go up, look at the matches where Chris G was chillaxing against Moons, then go look at the ultra aggressive rushdown he does against Phoenix with soulfists. If you can't see it...man, I don't know what to tell you. I'm a scrub, but this stuff is just so evident that I have to admire it.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Coca Koala posted:

Because no one has managed to actually show that he has to stop. And his Morrigan has evolved, his conversions and combos are light years ahead of what he had months ago let alone any other Morrigan player. When he first started this team his Morrigan was pretty basic just Soul Fist but not anymore, he can and will mix up Soul Fists with rushing into your face.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Now, Chris G will win and I'm totally okay with this. gently caress Vergil for one, but Vergil and Zero? gently caress outta here, bop this guy Chris. :argh:

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I don't get all the Chris G does the same thing. Go watch a match from last year when he did nothing but soul fists in the same pattern and and chip.

Now he actually varying the pattern and using it to approach and land long high execution combos.

I don't know what more you want out of Marvel unless you'd rather watch Zero or Virgil 50/50 you into loops over and over.

Edit: also the conversions he can get with her now are pretty sick in their own right.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Transient People posted:

Seriously, does anybody know why he's not playing Dorm? It's his guy. NOBODY Dorms as good as Filipino Champ. Why is he not playing him?

He did. It was free.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I missed most of the early stuff. Who did Chris even lose to? :psyduck:

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Dragongem posted:

I missed most of the early stuff. Who did Chris even lose to? :psyduck:

Angelic.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Transient People posted:

And Sagat players spam tiger shots in Super Turbo. They are still loving godlike and so is Chris G. When the videos of these matches go up, look at the matches where Chris G was chillaxing against Moons, then go look at the ultra aggressive rushdown he does against Phoenix with soulfists. If you can't see it...man, I don't know what to tell you. I'm a scrub, but this stuff is just so evident that I have to admire it.

I'll check out the Moons match again when it comes online for a comparison. I'm sure there are technical subtleties to how this stuff is working, but it's definitely not something I know how to look for right now.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

For more reference, he lost in his first match to rushdown Wolverine. Apparently the only way to win against Chris G's morridoom is to learn an absolutely sick inescapable opening mixup...or pray.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Chris G's Twitter posted:

@801IPeru that's completely bs. There's no way I can beat a good wolverine player 1st round without any games in. Screw this tournament.

His loss doesn't count though because everyone knows that a good wolverine player has never lost in the first round of a tournament or something.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Brett824 posted:

His loss doesn't count though because everyone knows that a good wolverine player has never lost in the first round of a tournament or something.

That's not what he was saying. What he said, translated, is 'Beating the character with the best opening seconds in the game, while not having any games to warm up, first match in the tourney is bullshit hard. It makes me salty, man.', more or less. It's not about Wolverines losing, it's about not having a chance to get in his groove before facing his worst matchup.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Coca Koala posted:

I'll check out the Moons match again when it comes online for a comparison. I'm sure there are technical subtleties to how this stuff is working, but it's definitely not something I know how to look for right now.

It's not that he's not spamming Soul Fists, because he is, it's how she moves after a Soul Fist that separates her from every other projectile character. Dorm can throw hella plasma, but his fat feet are stuck to the ground afterward. Chris follows his fireballs or drops down or dashes back depending on the situation, which is what makes his play.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Flocker is dead :v:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
ChrisG on a 10 game streak?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
What are the take home prizes like for these tourneys? How much will ChrisG pocket for winning?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

This loving gif makes me laugh every time I see it, goddamn.

Dandy J
May 17, 2003

macro machines

Brett824 posted:

Saying Chris G's Morrigan is the same poo poo every match is akin to saying a Sagat is just doing "the same poo poo every match" with his zoning. It's just not accurate, especially with how masterful Chris G has gotten at varying his gameplay and staying a step ahead of his opponents.
Nothing wrong w/ generalizing. Pretty much every game ever made involves doing the same poo poo every match.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I take back everything I just said about ChrisG's morridoom. Watching Flocker do the same thing actually makes it crystal clear how differently Chris does it. Wow.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Flocker made a good show of that one.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Flocker goddammit don't choke!

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
morrigan on morrigan action

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Ahaha. I loved it when the crowd cheered Flocker's Morridoom to prove a point but Chris blew through it with Vergil anyway.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
IMAGINE TWO MORRIGANS THROWING FIREBALLS, FOREVER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Chris G: There's only room for one Morridoom in this game. :c00l: