Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Loughner opened fire on Giffords from close range, as well as numerous bystanders,[61][62][63] killing six people. Thirteen other people were injured by gunfire, and one person was injured while fleeing the scene of the shooting.[64] Giffords, the apparent target of the attack,[3] was shot in the head and critically injured.[65]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

Two crazies, and Cal Thomas being the most evil ball of hate:

quote:

If medicine is better, why more diseases?

In spite of numerous advances in medicine and technology, in the last century, cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, and most autoimmune disease rates are hundreds of times higher now.

It’s not just a little. That is way more than a lot and enough to cause grave concern.

What is the problem? Google either the truth about, or the dangers of, vaccines, flu shots, BPA, plastic bottles, chem-trails, GMO (genetically modified foods), food additives, MSG, fluoride (in water), aluminum. There are hundreds of thousands of articles on each. Almost none are positive. And, this is the short list.

Why are these things being done? Realizing our world population is over 7 billion people, Google the Georgia Guidestones. In particular, notice the population goal.

Responsible people will be motivated to search for answers. The most important question is, “Who is doing this to us?”

quote:

Investigate ‘chem trails’

I’m deeply troubled by chem trails. I believe that nearly every day, planes are filling the sky with aerosol sprays of toxins that enter our bodies through the air we breathe, the food we eat and the water we drink.

Urban legend or ghastly truth, chem trails merit a thorough investigation. But who can we trust to do it?

Cal Thomas: "Democracy is evil, Abraham Lincoln freeing slaves is like opposing gay marriage, gay marriage supporters are like vigilantes, the Supreme Court should have no power whatsoever"

quote:

"If there is anything that links the human to the divine, it is the courage to stand by a principle when everybody else rejects it." -- Abraham Lincoln

History is full of warnings about what happens when people follow public opinion instead of standing by their principles. In its most extreme manifestation, public opinion might well become mob rule when vigilantes take the law into their own hands.

Major media have whipped the crowd into its latest frenzy over same-sex marriage, or should I say "marriage equality," the latest euphemism, likely intended to make the masses more accepting of what was once unacceptable. And the masses, which increasingly answer "none" when asked about any religious affiliation or moral code, appear ready for it. The U.S. Supreme Court, not the Supreme Judge, now rules supreme.

But there are consequences for living as one pleases. Look at the fallout that our culture continues to experience from the '60s generation and its throwing off of the ideals and structures of mainstream society. The "Age of Aquarius," and its countercultural revolution, has given way to an increase in drug use, no-fault divorce, cohabitation, out-of-wedlock births and abortion. Everything's fair game. Nothing's off limits. Anything goes.

Now, we are about to witness the latest cultural domino to fall. Imagine states without boundaries and speed without limits. What same-sex marriage proponents seem to be asking the Court to do is to remove ancient boundary lines for human relationships based on what they wish to do. That opens the door to anything and everything else, depending on how well-organized they are and what political clout they can muster.

Personal experience, like that of Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio, who announced recently that his son is gay, is now supposed to trump Scripture and the will of California voters? While most politicians take their oaths of office on the Bible, many of them prove by their actions that they don't believe, or follow, what's in it. Better they should place their hands on Rolling Stone or People magazines, which more accurately reflect the direction and attitude of contemporary culture. Perhaps Kim Kardashian should decide where the country stands on same-sex marriage?

It's when individuals, not God, become the standard by which truth and right and wrong are judged that we get a Supreme Court deciding our ultimate direction.

Some liberals believe the Constitution is a "living" document that must constantly evolve to fit the times. It is not. Some liberal theologians believe the same about the Scriptures. They believe these, too, must evolve, because serving God is no longer the standard; serving Man is.

Suzanne Collins, author of "The Hunger Games" trilogy has observed: "... collective thinking is usually short-lived. We're fickle, stupid beings with poor memories and a great gift for self-destruction."

In his 1882 play, "An Enemy of the People," Norwegian playwright Henrik Ibsen wrote, "Public opinion is an extremely mutable thing."

Indeed it is and the fickle public, relying on the opinion of others, instead of eternal truths, to shape beliefs, is treading on very thin ice that has already begun to crack.

Following public opinion can and usually does, lead to moral, social and political anarchy. I give you the Roman Empire and the ancient city of Corinth, in the event that anything about history and how it can repeat itself, absent immutable principles, is being adequately taught in schools today.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
The Roman Empire fell because it was too democratic? I suppose I've got to give him credit for coming up with a even more insane and unsupported theory than 'it fell because of decadence/gays'.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

CrushedB posted:

Cal Thomas: "Democracy is evil, Abraham Lincoln freeing slaves is like opposing gay marriage, gay marriage supporters are like vigilantes, the Supreme Court should have no power whatsoever"

Some liberals believe the Constitution is a "living" document that must constantly evolve to fit the times.

Yeah that crazy Thomas Jefferson and his stupid ideas about the constitution.

quote:

I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions. But laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors.

knife super power
Nov 4, 2010
[/quote]
Cal Thomas: a voice for ignorant assholes everywhere.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

In the past few years I've noticed that contempt for democracy has become more and more common in conservative circles. It was always there, but catchphrases like "republic, not a democracy" and "mob mentality" kind of show how much it's bubbled up.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

knife super power posted:

Cal Thomas: a voice for ignorant assholes everywhere.

Also elderly drag queens everywhere, going by the amount of pancake makeup he wears in his stock photo.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
God drat, he should have kept the moustache.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

CrushedB posted:

Cal Thomas posted:

Some liberals believe the Constitution is a "living" document that must constantly evolve to fit the times. It is not.

As you wish, Cal:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Blarghalt posted:

In the past few years I've noticed that contempt for democracy has become more and more common in conservative circles. It was always there, but catchphrases like "republic, not a democracy" and "mob mentality" kind of show how much it's bubbled up.

It definitely hit my radar in a big way when Newt went on the Sunday talk shows during the last election and said that, as President, he would just ignore the Supreme Court as he deemed fit.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Contempt for democracy has always been a part of conservatism in America. The Federalists, Whigs, Democrats, Know-Nothings, Redeemers, and Republicans have all called for restricting democracy at some point or another. Over in the Healthcare thread there is a poster who adheres to a particularly vile form of Libertarianism which seeks to curb democracy because it can be used to violate private propery.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

CrushedB posted:

Two crazies, and Cal Thomas being the most evil ball of hate:

"If medicine is better, why more diseases?"

I saw a similar crazy in the comments on the Al-Jazeera article on India ruling against medicine patents. He was trying to argue that it was a good thing because those medicines are designed to kill Indians to thin out their population and the ruling stopped that. :psyduck: I was going to tell him the ruling means if he was right about the medicine killing people that any company can make a generic version meaning there will be even more of the medicine out there killing people for cheaper, but I decided arguing in Facebook comments against clearly insane people is stupid and not worth it. Why do so many people arguing against the pharmaceutical industry have such insane arguments that fail basic look overs for internal logic? It's not like the industry is all that good, but these people come out of left field with totally batshit arguments that don't hold water. It's like trying to shoot Mount Everest and hitting someone in Orlando, Florida instead.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Besesoth posted:

As you wish, Cal:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

:v: "But what the Founding Fathers actually meant by that was :words:"

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Alien Arcana posted:

:v: "But what the Founding Fathers actually meant by that was :words:"

And if the :words: aren't there, then you can just pull a David Barton and make them up. :cool:

Enilev
Jun 11, 2001

Domesticated
I know the Wall Street Journal is easy pickings, but I happened across this rant about college admissions:

quote:

To (All) the Colleges That Rejected Me
By SUZY LEE WEISS

Like me, millions of high-school seniors with sour grapes are asking themselves this week how they failed to get into the colleges of their dreams. It's simple: For years, they—we—were lied to.

Colleges tell you, "Just be yourself." That is great advice, as long as yourself has nine extracurriculars, six leadership positions, three varsity sports, killer SAT scores and two moms. Then by all means, be yourself! If you work at a local pizza shop and are the slowest person on the cross-country team, consider taking your business elsewhere.

What could I have done differently over the past years?

For starters, had I known two years ago what I know now, I would have gladly worn a headdress to school. Show me to any closet, and I would've happily come out of it. "Diversity!" I offer about as much diversity as a saltine cracker. If it were up to me, I would've been any of the diversities: Navajo, Pacific Islander, anything. Sen. Elizabeth Warren, I salute you and your 1/32 Cherokee heritage.

I also probably should have started a fake charity. Providing veterinary services for homeless people's pets. Collecting donations for the underprivileged chimpanzees of the Congo. Raising awareness for Chapped-Lips-in-the-Winter Syndrome. Fun-runs, dance-a-thons, bake sales—as long as you're using someone else's misfortunes to try to propel yourself into the Ivy League, you're golden.

Having a tiger mom helps, too. As the youngest of four daughters, I noticed long ago that my parents gave up on parenting me. It has been great in certain ways: Instead of "Be home by 11," it's "Don't wake us up when you come through the door, we're trying to sleep." But my parents also left me with a dearth of hobbies that make admissions committees salivate. I've never sat down at a piano, never plucked a violin. Karate lasted about a week and the swim team didn't last past the first lap. Why couldn't Amy Chua have adopted me as one of her cubs?

Then there was summer camp. I should've done what I knew was best—go to Africa, scoop up some suffering child, take a few pictures, and write my essays about how spending that afternoon with Kinto changed my life. Because everyone knows that if you don't have anything difficult going on in your own life, you should just hop on a plane so you're able to talk about what other people have to deal with.

Or at least hop to an internship. Get a precocious-sounding title to put on your resume. "Assistant Director of Mail Services." "Chairwoman of Coffee Logistics." I could have been a gopher in the office of someone I was related to. Work experience!

To those kids who by age 14 got their doctorate, cured a disease, or discovered a guilt-free brownie recipe: My parents make me watch your "60 Minutes" segments, and they've clipped your newspaper articles for me to read before bed. You make us mere mortals look bad. (Also, I am desperately jealous and willing to pay a lot to learn your secrets.)

To those claiming that I am bitter—you bet I am! An underachieving selfish teenager making excuses for her own failures? That too! To those of you disgusted by this, shocked that I take for granted the wonderful gifts I have been afforded, I say shhhh—"The Real Housewives" is on.

I suppose the author is only a high school student, but I don't really get the point besides venting. Why the WSJ publish it? The author fully acknowledges multiple times that she isn't super ambitious, but somehow the fault lies with the schools that didn't admit her and with her parents for not pushing her hard enough.

Not to mention the racism that gets tossed around.

The thing that bugs me most is that she doesn't get why universities say "be yourself". If she'd done all of those things she mentioned and gotten into an elite school, she would be miserable there. Students that do those things do them because they like doing them. And they get into schools where they continue to work hard and overachieve. Students like the author that are less intense will probably do better at a school where everyone is less intense.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Funniest part of that rant is that her sister used to be a features editor for the WSJ. Here's a longer takedown of the piece.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
In a similar vein, someone linked me to an awful article claiming affirmative action in universities is actually bad for minorities because it lets black students who are not smart enough for a hard school enter and fail rather than letting them succeed in mediocrity.

Joementum posted:

Funniest part of that rant is that her sister used to be a features editor for the WSJ. Here's a longer takedown of the piece.

This is one of the few articles I have ever read that made me genuinely laugh out loud.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 2, 2013

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
So how about some more bizarre rapechat, this time from a libertarian?

http://www.thebigquestions.com/2013/03/20/censorship-environmentalism-and-steubenville/

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

A DENVER FAX posted:

In a similar vein, someone linked me to an awful article claiming affirmative action in universities is actually bad for minorities because it lets black students who are not smart enough for a hard school enter and fail rather than letting them succeed in mediocrity.
The thing I hate about this argument is that it's so loving patronizing. What non-white people does this person know that would have only succeeded had they gone to a less high-ranking university and not stolen a spot from a good deserving white person?

I don't know if I can find it again, but there was a newspaper article a few years that pointed out that while black and Hispanic students will often enter university with lower test scores and GPAs than their peers on the average, by the time they graduate, they're performing on par. Almost as if...there's systematic discrimination that can be mitigated if you give everyone an equal chance! :monocle:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Jack of Hearts posted:

http://www.thebigquestions.com/2013/03/20/censorship-environmentalism-and-steubenville/

Ah, yes, a rape that causes more harm. Tell me more.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
When the body is unconscious, it has a way of shutting that whole thing down

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
A Breitbart writer wonders why everyone is so hung up on calling the Aryan Brotherhood a "white supremacist" group.

quote:

Yet in that coverage, the mainstream media has gone to great lengths to label ad-infinitum the Aryan Brotherhood as a “white supremacist” group, implying a racial motivation. The AB, even if involved at all, however, may have been motivated not by a "white supremacist” philosophy, but rather by something more mundane. Evidence suggests that the Aryan Brotherhood has morphed into what is primarily a drug-trafficking gang, and there is a more frightening possibility: that the Aryan Brotherhood is acting as a conduit, doing the dirty work for a Mexican drug cartel criminal insurgency into the United States.

Smart take, dude.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
What a dumb blog post. So what's at the end-

quote:

Edited to add: Some commenters have suggested that Question 3, unlike Questions 1 and 2, involves a violation of property rights. This seems entirely wrong to me; in each case, there is a disputed property right — a dispute over who controls my computer, a dispute over who controls the wilderness, a dispute about who controls my body. To appeal to a “respect for property rights” solves nothing, since in each case the entire dispute is about what the property rights should be in the first place.
WHAT THE :magical:

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

And people wonder why women libertarians seem to be in short supply.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
"As long as I’m safely unconsious and therefore shielded from the costs of an assault, why shouldn’t the rest of the world (or more specifically my attackers) be allowed to reap the benefits?"

Rape: Reaping the benefits.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Not sure where else to bring this gem. Several candidate threads, this is as good as any. Just a post of a fox news article, but the comments thus far :gonk:

quote:

St. Skittles Parents Cash In: Settle Wrongful Death Lawsuit For More Than $1 Million…

I wonder if they’ll kick a few bucks to Al Sharpton and his racist shakedown racket as tribute.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/05/travyon-martin-parents-settle-wrongful-death-claim/

quote:

A Capp 16 minutes ago
Add
St. Skittles........ priceless.

And it should be noted that he didn't purchase an "iced tea", rather a watermelon juice drink, that when mixed with Skittles and Robitussin cough syrup produces a concoction refereed to in the rap culture world as "Drank", or "Lean".

If this thread has any traction, it's gonna be a real winner.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jack of Hearts posted:

quote:

would you be willing to legalize the rape of the unconscious in cases where the perpetrators take precautions to ensure the victim never learns about it?

The American legal system: entirely developed and predicated on crazy thought experiments by sentient computers who can't understand human emotion.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Andrew Sullivan, Moron.

quote:

To put it bluntly: The Britain I grew up in was insane. The government owned almost all major manufacturing, from coal to steel to automobiles. Owned. It employed almost every doctor and owned almost every hospital. Almost every university and elementary and high school was government-run.

Government-run hospitals?!?!?!?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

Andrew Sullivan, Moron.

Government-run hospitals are only ok if there are hospitals specific for the four specific race groups :downs:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Goverment hospitals are okay if they give out free AIDS medicine. In all other cases gently caress you.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Badger of Basra posted:

Andrew Sullivan, Moron.

quote:

I was a teenage Thatcherite, an uber-politics nerd who loved her for her utter lack of apology for who she was.

He admired her purity.

edit:

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 9, 2013

Van5
Sep 9, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

He admired her purity.

You know who else admired purity? :godwin:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

A Breitbart writer wonders why everyone is so hung up on calling the Aryan Brotherhood a "white supremacist" group.

Smart take, dude.

So, his argument is basically "well, yeah the AB started off as a racist gang, but they're no longer racist, and the media just wants to highlight that so that they can protect the Mexican gangs cuz immigration"? Did I get that right?

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
This is stupid on so many levels.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/apr/09/womens-basketball-ignored-media-and-more-letters-e/?opinionletters

quote:

Fairness and equality a path to destruction

We hear much today about how everything should be “fair” and “equal.” Plymouth Colony, 1620, was one of the first experiments in “fairness” and “equality” by the first colonists with disastrous results. Almost 50 percent of the colonists were dead within the first year. The colony was rescued by William Bradford, who instituted a system of what we now know as free market capitalism.

One can only wonder where the current emphasis on “fairness, equality and rights” will lead us.

PHILIP W. HAYMAKER SR., Hixson

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Stunningly bad historical revisionism. Just gonna leave this right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o69TvQqyGdg&hd=1&t=330s

Crash Course does some excellent short videos on a growing variety of topics (World History, Biology, Literature, etc.) and just started a U.S. History series a few weeks ago.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Haha, here's another one from that website:

quote:

Obama's America hurts its citizens

I just learned from my son, who is in the U.S. Army, that military tuition assistance for education has been halted. I learned a couple of days ago that the White House is closed to tourists in spite of personal offers to cover the cost. I learned a while back that Obama assigned some $716 billion from Medicare to cover the cost of Obamacare. I believe Medicare is mainly for seniors, and Obamacare burdens working Americans with more out-of-pocket costs.

I also heard recently that some consideration is being given to charging wounded veterans for their medical care. Of course there is that thing of abortion that deprives youngsters of baby siblings to play with, and that thing of no middle class sounds Obamaish.

Releasing criminal illegal aliens into the wild with false pretense threatens homeland security. The Republicans didn't do that, did they? Again I offer the story about the man and the shotgun: The shotgun won't go off half cocked.

LAWRENCE HEADRICK, Tunnel Hill, Ga.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

Bubbacub posted:

Haha, here's another one from that website:

While I know that I'm disagreeing with this I'm just not sure WHAT I'm disagreeing with.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Start off bitching about "liberals." Then start bitching about "liberal progressives." Soon, "liberal" means the same thing as "progressive." Then make it "far left liberal progressives" enough times and any part of that will substitute for the whole. Sure there are some people who are all three. But most aren't.

Same thing with "criminal illegal alien." Now, ALL illegal aliens are criminals. Of course, there's "what part of illegal don't you understand?" But the response to that is to explain the parts of "illegal" that the speaker doesn't understand.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
http://www.sodahead.com/united-stat...estion-3629371/

quote:

OBAMA IS F*CKING ALL OF US OVER ! Illegal alien migration into the United States costs American taxpayers $346 billion annually reported by the "National Research Council" THAT'S OVER 50% OF THE $600 BILLION SEQUESTER, JUST TO PAY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS !

quote:

WE ARE ALL BEING FORCED INTO A TOTAL FINANCIAL COLLAPSE OF AMERICA!
22 votes
40%

IMPEACH OBAMA AND HIS CABIENT! CHARGE THEM WITH TREASON UNDER WAR TIME CONDITIONS!
8 votes
15%

Undecided
8 votes
15%

None of the above
7 votes
13%

WE MUST STOP PAYING FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS BEFORE AMERICA IS DESTROYED
5 votes
9%

WE ARE BEING PUSHED INTO CIVIL WAR
3 votes
5%

WE ARE BEING PUSHED INTO A RACIALLY BASED CIVIL WAR
2 votes
4%

quote:

STOP CUTTING SOCIAL SECURITY !
STOP CUTTING THE MILITARY
STOP CUTTING MEDICARE FOR OUR RETIRED CITIZENS!

STOP PAYING FOR THE drat ILLEGAL ALIENS !

OBAMA IS CUTTING SOCIAL SECURITY, GROUNDING MILITARY AIRCRAFT, AND THE LIST GOES ON. MAKING IT PAINFUL ON THOSE WHO PAY TAXES OR HAVE PAID TAXES ALL THEIR LIVES.

BUT ILLEGAL ALIENS GET A TAX PAYERS FREE RIDE TO VOTE FOR OBAMA OR HELP HIM WHEN, CIVIL WAR BREAKS OUT TOO STOP OBAMA'S WICKED WAYS! THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!!

BUT "NO" CUTS TO ILLEGAL ALIENS GETTING FREE FOOD STAMPS (43% OF ALL FOOD STAMPS GO TO ILLEGAL ALIENS, OR (63% OF ALL MEDICARE COSTS GO TO PAY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS)
Nearly 60% of all occupants of HUD properties in U.S. are illegals."
FREE HARD CASH OF UP TO $4000.00 PLUS A MONTH PER FAMILY ARE PAID TO UNEMPLOYED AND UNDEREMPLOYED HOUSEHOLDS THAT HAVE ILLEGAL ALIEN LIVING THERE.

I CAN'T FRIGGING BELIEVE THIS SHEEEEET CAN YOU. AMERICAN'S SUFFER WHILE OBAMA FEEDS, CLOTHES AND PROVIDE HUD HOUSING FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS ! CALIFORNIA EVEN GIVES THEM DRIVERS LICENSES.

food stamp program will cost American taxpayers roughly $770 billion dollars, WHERE 43% OF THAT MONEY GOES TO FEED ILLEGAL ALIENS

THE $600 BILLION DOLLAR SEQUESTER WOULD BE CLEARED ! IF OUR GOVERNMENT JUST STOPPED MAKING AMERICANS PAYING FOR
ILLEGAL ALIENS

LEGAL IMMIGRATION IS NEEDED AND WELCOME, THAT IS WHAT AMERICA IS ALL ABOUT.
BUT PAYING TO FEED, CLOTHE, HOUSE, AND PROVIDE FREE MEDICAL CARE FOR ILLEGALS MUST BE STOPPED BEFORE WE FALL !
THIS IS A MATTER OF SURVIVAL FOR AMERICA!

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/jun/19/facebook-posts/facebook-post-says-more-43-percent-all-food-stamps/

quote:

And why do you think Obama has been arming Mexican thugs with fast and furious, when he's trying has hard as he can to disarm lawful Americans with LEGAL weapons at the very same time?

quote:

All of the above!!! Illegal immigrants are demanding amnesty. Really? The nerve of them, coming here illegally and then expecting a carpet to be rolled out for them. I was at a church a couple of years ago...it was not my denomination, but I have to say....the head of that church was preaching from the pulpit... saying we had to help immigrants because that was the Christian thing to do. He was totally out of line! No one man needs to teach me about God. I read the bible and I will always stand by it's words. Many liberals claim to be Christian, but yet their actions show otherwise. I believe this person is a false teacher of God's word. First of all God... tells us to follow the law. Give to Ceasar what is due to him. "Thou shalt not lie!" The illegals are living a big lie, while they are here illegally. A whole lot of them even cause fraud by stealing other people's Social Security numbers! The only real Christian thing I can do for an illegal immigrant is give him some food and a one way ticket back to where he/she came from, because we can not afford anymore illegals. Apply and do the paperwork legally........like all the other honest, honorable people have done in the past! Our government is wrong... to demand... that we not call them illegals, when that is exactly what they are!!!!!! So our government doesn't want to hurt their feelings? Obama....how about the feelings of the hard working Americans who have to sacrifice and continue to pay for criminal activity!!! Huh? Please answer that! http://newsfeed.time.com/2013...

quote:

About the same cost as his vacations, I wonder if china would lend him the money directly instead of the nation going into debt ! This creepy man is really warped. He has no concept of money because he's never tried to make it.

quote:

Our limp wristed congress won't do anything about the illegal alien at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. so why would they bother to do anything about the 14-15 million illegals that are bleeding America dry?
All good answers Daniel & difficult to pick just one. You need to add an "all of the above" to the mix ;-)

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Saw someone in another thread say something sarcastic to the effect of "Markets cannot fail, we can only fail the market," and thought "surely someone, somewhere has said this and meant it."

quote:

The Market Cannot Fail
August 15, 2010 16:36 | Comments (0) | big brother, liberty |

I came across this article by author Henry A. Giroux recently, and I found myself drawn in by the first paragraph or so, strongly agreeing with his words, and then the cracks began to show. He rails against the invective of the talking heads on television, and the mindless jingoism of the current Tea Party movement, all of which is to be applauded, but then he concludes by claiming that in light of “the most painful evidence imaginable of the failure of laissez-faire economics and the destructive force of the alliance of big business and government against the interests of ordinary Americans … the Tea Party movement wants to abolish government and expand even more the deregulated capitalism that has unsettled the lives of so many of its members.” I’m not sure how he got here from there, but I am not willing to make that leap with him. The failure of the free market is not a foregone conclusion, no matter how much the pro-regulation movement would like to believe it to be true.

My first question is, how does laissez-faire economics fail? By what criteria is the author judging it? I contend that the market cannot fail. It does exactly what it is desgined to do. You can go into Wal-Mart and not find what you’re looking for, and call that a failure of the market. But in reality, the market has provided exactly what customers want, with the constraint that those things can be provided at a profit. When you do not find what you’re shopping for, it simply means that there is not enough profit in providing that good or service.

I see two problems with this author’s assessment. First, our economy is not laissez-faire. Quite the contrary, government regulation of markets has never been more burdensome, and it gets worse on a daily basis. Here is a definition of laissez-faire:

1 : a doctrine opposing governmental interference in economic affairs beyond the minimum necessary for the maintenance of peace and property rights

2 : a philosophy or practice characterized by a usually deliberate abstention from direction or interference especially with individual freedom of choice and action

Can anyone claim that this is an accurate description of the marketplace in the United States? Hardly. Second, even if it was laissez-faire, a market that rewards only those entrepreneurs who satisfy their customers is, by definition, a success.

I completely agree with the evil collusion of corporations and government, and it is interesting to me that we can agree on something like this, and yet be so far apart on the other aspect of his statement.

How about the recent example of Apple’s tribulations with the iPhone 4 and its poor reception? Consumer Reports came down hard on Apple, claiming the problem seriously hampered the abililty of the device to function as a phone. Within days of this poor review, Apple responded with a fix (or at least a work around), to mollify its angry and disappointed customers. No government intervention was necessary. No regulatory agency stepped in. Just a well-respected free market watchdog organization, whose opinions are valued by millions of consumers. That was enough to cause many to question Apple’s reputation in the marketplace, and that potential damage to their reputation was enough to motivate them to address the issue. This incident is a perfect illustration of how the free market is self-regulating. Many might argue that this regulation is not strong enough or does not go far enough. But anything more than this places an undue burden on the market (which consumers experience as higher prices) and serves only to distort the market signals that would otherwise cause self-correction (which consumers experience as problem resolution taking longer than it should).

I am wary of anyone who looks at the major problems our economy has experienced in recent years and wants to affix blame to the market itself. How can anyone look at the sub-prime mortgage market and claim that it is laissez-faire? The mortgage industry is one of the most highly regulated areas of our economy, so you cannot blame the free market and call it a failure. The market as it is currently configured is not free, so the source of failure must be elsewhere.

With a title like that there's no doubt it's going to be excellent.

• Locked thread