Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Shouldn't have let the dog drive.

Sucks but parts are available at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

Jefinabox posted:

I became a victim of the crappy potholes that seem to be everywhere at the minute. Full damage inspection tomorrow, should be fun

Oof, as a fellow Mini owner you have my sympathies :( Potholes on our road are ridiculous, the council came along and "filled" them. By that I mean they put a spoonful of it in each hole, so the holes are just slightly-less deep. Bloody council.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Captain Hair posted:

Oof, as a fellow Mini owner you have my sympathies :( Potholes on our road are ridiculous, the council came along and "filled" them. By that I mean they put a spoonful of it in each hole, so the holes are just slightly-less deep. Bloody council.

How many of us are on here now, three? Four?

And ouch, I'm guessing swivel joints?

MisterSparkle
Jan 16, 2004
banishes dirt to the land of wind and ghosts

Nomex posted:

I saw this guy in the parking lot yesterday.

He's just got his ackerman set to "F1-Spec"

Jefinabox
Jun 26, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Shouldn't have let the dog drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onHEtu5aYko :c00lbert:

Just a broken ball joint hopefully. Plucking up the courage to go take my hub off in the snow. Happened at around 40mph. I'm blaming my fat mate sat in the passenger seat.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
From Facebook.

FlyingZygote
Oct 18, 2004

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Launching-Pad/121445737868776

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You can lead a horse (decal) to water...

AND NO SWIMMING.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 28, 2013

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Welp, Satan has claimed your car. Tough luck, buddy.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Geirskogul posted:

Welp, Satan has claimed your car. Tough luck, buddy.

Not so fast! "Acts of God" aren't covered, but that doesn't let the lord of the underworld off the hook!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

"Looks like we got ourselves a sinker..."

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Engine off a thunderbird pitted in the garage next to us at LeMons. The ring laced around the crank is a nice touch.

Minor one of ours that shows the promise of worse things once we open the diff cover.

Something blew out the abs sensor, and we raced on it for a while before discovering just *why* there was diff fluid everywhere....

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Why you really need to change poo poo... especially on a 16 year old car.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
:wrxdrivers:

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

I just don't understand that damage. Excessive number of "clutch dumps?"

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Geirskogul posted:

My nephew is still on his original clutch :smug:

I suggested he remove the factory towel rack spoiler for a sleeper look

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Why you really need to change poo poo... especially on a 16 year old car.

Cadillac, I presume? I've lost count on how many of these I've done passive conversions on.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Root Bear posted:

Cadillac, I presume? I've lost count on how many of these I've done passive conversions on.

Yep. 97 STS - Switched the rears to Monroe 90009's and the fronts are going to be 90011.... I may have to modify them a little but I am not to worried.

I am just gonna say gently caress it and have the shop compress the springs and do the swaps. The struts come with brand new mounts, bump stops and boots. I know its an extra 50 bucks, but after dealing with a half shaft falling out, I am saying gently caress it and slamming poo poo back together and selling the fucker.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

subaru owners are loving idiots.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Ain't that the truth, locally there's a few idiot owners embracing red neck tuning and ricer driving, just waiting to hear about when their engines explode or they break something.

Onto content, kept that blown civic motor around and just playing around taking it apart, makes for some interesting photos

And a little more of a cheap company failure, the tires are look this on one of the work vehicles, the suspension is shot, and the steering wheel and entire vehicle shakes at any speed. Oh and the rod knock is loud enough to hear from a good block away.

All because they're too cheap to replace anything on them. Oh, and they're 2008 Hyundai Tucsons the other one isn't much better.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Slow is Fast posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

subaru owners are loving idiots.

Whoa whoa whoa. I drive an Outback Legacy respectably, because I care about my vehicles. You're talking about WRX drivers. There are two types of Subaru owners - ricer idiots, and old money who buy cars they want to last for generations. You can tell the difference because one usually has a spoiler and/or plasti-dipped wheels and grilles.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. I drive an Outback Legacy respectably, because I care about my vehicles. You're talking about WRX drivers. There are two types of Subaru owners - ricer idiots, and old money who buy cars they want to last for generations. You can tell the difference because one usually has a spoiler and/or plasti-dipped wheels and grilles.

I think the latter is more PacNW/Colorado yuppies who want a winter vehicle moreso than any "old money but excessively discerning".

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

There are 2 kinds of Subaru drivers, pot smokers and meth smokers (smokers? How does one imbibe meth?)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Skip to 24 minutes in for where I got the idea. So far, it has held true.

Summary posted:

Review: May, acknowledging that the aristocracy will never buy new Bentleys, tries to find out what they would be buying. He reviews the Subaru Legacy Outback, he says it is sturdy, comfortable, sporty and perfect for "aristocrats with children called Reginald"

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Jonny Nox posted:

How does one imbibe meth?

You put it in your K&N cone filter and sit behind the tailpipe getting high to drown out the sadness of your rod knock.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Geirskogul posted:

There are two types of Subaru owners - ricer idiots, and old money who buy cars they want to last for generations. You can tell the difference because one usually has a spoiler and/or plasti-dipped wheels and grilles.

This is hilarious to me - I struggle to think of a car that has a worse reliability rep than Subaru Legacy in this part of the world

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Subaru used to be most famous for reasonably tough "regular cars" for people like farmers who needed the AWD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kor_zcRpTxg&t=28s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCmpk01OVIU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Bad rap due to head gasket issues with the EJ25D motor, which understandably caused quite a hubbub. I've got a 200k 97 Outback Legacy that had the headgasket replaced under warranty in 99 with the upgraded one that has given me absolutely no issues, and the guy who gave me the Legacy has a 2004 Forester with over 400k on it that has had just regular maintenance done to it (he drives cross-country to ride motorcycles around tracks in his off time). The vast majority of Subarus on the road you don't notice, because, frankly, they're quite boring family-type vehicles, though the hood scoop on my Legacy is hilarious because it's a ~100hp NA motor, but that's just :subaru:

I agree that WRX drivers are the worst, though. Second only to smoke-tuned diesels in annoyance.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Geirskogul posted:

Bad rap due to head gasket issues with the EJ25D motor, which understandably caused quite a hubbub. I've got a 200k 97 Outback Legacy that had the headgasket replaced under warranty in 99 with the upgraded one that has given me absolutely no issues, and the guy who gave me the Legacy has a 2004 Forester with over 400k on it that has had just regular maintenance done to it (he drives cross-country to ride motorcycles around tracks in his off time). The vast majority of Subarus on the road you don't notice, because, frankly, they're quite boring family-type vehicles, though the hood scoop on my Legacy is hilarious because it's a ~100hp NA motor, but that's just :subaru:

Those, the twin turbos (which are/were extremely common here) and universally terrible automatic transmissions.

Why in the hell would an n/a model have the scoop? Never seen that here (at least not factory)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's an anomaly in the 1997 NA Outback Legacy model year. It has a plastic thing in the scoop that blocks 90% of the air that could actually come in it, and a tiny duct that takes what little air comes in and redirects it onto what looks like the coil pack. Very strange, but posts on the Internet (which never lies) lead me to believe that it was factory for that year only.

Even though mine spent 190k of its 200k as a New York Salted Winter (tm) car, it still looks to be in fine shape. Things have held up, and it doesn't burn oil or anything like that. I could see how it could fall apart quickly if someone is the type of person that doesn't take too much care with regular maintenance, though. There are other cars (GM3800-engined cars, 90's Honda I4 cars, etc) that may hold up better under the duress of a lovely owner mechanically (if not cosmetically). And the 2008+ Forester is terrible.

Edit: VVVVVVV

"Outback Sport" essentially means "Impreza before we came up with the name Impreza." Most 1994-2000 had hood scoops, turbocharged or NA, then they removed the hood scoops for some "bugeye" Imprezas. The "hood scoop on NA non-sport Outbacks" was apparently a US market thing, along with a few special models in other markets like the Gravel Express in Japan.

To simplify re: hood scoops, Subaru essentially did whatever the gently caress they wanted whenever they wanted

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 1, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dissss posted:

Those, the twin turbos (which are/were extremely common here) and universally terrible automatic transmissions.

Why in the hell would an n/a model have the scoop? Never seen that here (at least not factory)

I take it you're in NZ/AUS? I think the forester is overtaking the legacy for unadulterated terribleness now.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
My friend had an Outback Sport that had the hood scoop for an NA motor thing going on. I'm not sure of the year, but I feel like all Outback Sports are that way.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

At least in the US the hood scoop was trim level, not engine dependent. The regular Legacy (lower ride height, no roof rails, no two-tone paint) never had the scoop but all the Outbacks did. My 98 Outback has the scoop and it doesn't do anything besides look terrible because the plastic is sun damaged. It is real though, you can see daylight if you lift the hood up.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Slavvy posted:

I take it you're in NZ/AUS? I think the forester is overtaking the legacy for unadulterated terribleness now.

This is the truth. I don't know how they accomplished it so quickly, going from "awesome wagon with tons of storage space/headroom" to "is that a RAV-4?"

I saw a 2005 outback parked next to a 2013 XV yesterday and I shed a single tear for the death of the midsize subaru wagon.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Sudo Echo posted:

At least in the US the hood scoop was trim level, not engine dependent. The regular Legacy (lower ride height, no roof rails, no two-tone paint) never had the scoop but all the Outbacks did. My 98 Outback has the scoop and it doesn't do anything besides look terrible because the plastic is sun damaged. It is real though, you can see daylight if you lift the hood up.

It actually is more or less engine dependent. The legacy GT sedan and wagon both got the hood scoop. So therefor all the 2.5 dual cam legacy/outbacks had a hood scoop (besides 96 outback), and all the 2.2L ones didn't.

In the impreza land, the OBS and RS got hood scoops.

Then starting with the 2000 legacy/outback, no more hoodscoops unless it's a turbo. Which the US didn't get. Starting with the bugeye impreza, only the wrx had a hood scoop.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

This is the truth. I don't know how they accomplished it so quickly, going from "awesome wagon with tons of storage space/headroom" to "is that a RAV-4?"

I saw a 2005 outback parked next to a 2013 XV yesterday and I shed a single tear for the death of the midsize subaru wagon.

They really are marching slowly into 'Lets just turn this into a SUV'

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

They really are marching slowly into 'Lets just turn this into a SUV'
Stop the mongrelisation of the automotive races! :hitler:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's been downhill since they stopped using Paul Hogan.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Godholio posted:

It's been downhill since they stopped using Paul Hogan.

Since they got rid of frameless doors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
They got rid of frameless doors?!

They did! Those bastards.