Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

GET MONEY posted:

Ignore that crybaby conscious crap and listen to this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwnVI_x5g0I

I've been liking a lot more of Curry. It's kinda funny but it's almost starting to look like SGP's biggest contribution to rap will be giving his friends/raider clan a bigger audience cause he hasn't made poo poo worthwhile in a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Cool, you have horrible taste in rap and you have a problem with written communication that does not consist of passive-aggressive snipes. Worthless.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

GET MONEY posted:

Ignore that crybaby conscious crap and listen to this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwnVI_x5g0I

This poo poo bangs, please post more stuff that bangs

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Tyler is teenager rap. Alan is right in his breakdown of Tyler's influences and that self-reflective, neurotic, "I take myself too serious" stuff is THE middle class teenager experience. Rapping about how he hates his dad, his first love, how he has more stuff than his normal friends is pretty self explanatory. But its okay. Teenagers should like stuff like that.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

O__O posted:

I thought Kyprios was long gone until I saw him doing a free show at lonsdale quay in North Vancouver which a bunch of old tourists were standing around listening to awkwardly.

If he's rapping for elderly tourists, then he's very much "long gone".

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

UP AND ADAM posted:

Cool, you have horrible taste in rap and you have a problem with written communication that does not consist of passive-aggressive snipes. Worthless.

You are blatantly wrong. No matter how many half-assed insults you try to throw out will compensate for the fact that you were wrong. I'm sure you thought you were cool or w/e and were gonna try to totally show me up or something, but seriously, you were just flat out wrong. Most of the initial discussion about OF was about how a lot of their fans weren't traditional rap listeners. And after your bullshit, no-content reply saying I'm passive aggressive is really ironic since if anything, I'm quite blatantly aggressive.

But go ahead, keep being wrong and having retarded opinions rather than actually trying to have a discussion about anything other than "dis poo poo hot yo".

temple posted:

Tyler is teenager rap. Alan is right in his breakdown of Tyler's influences and that self-reflective, neurotic, "I take myself too serious" stuff is THE middle class teenager experience. Rapping about how he hates his dad, his first love, how he has more stuff than his normal friends is pretty self explanatory. But its okay. Teenagers should like stuff like that.

To elaborate, I think this is really, really accurate for his first two albums. But there's something a bit...different about Wolf. He has cut down a lot on the "shock" tactics of his first two albums, but I'm not exactly sure how natural it is; like many teens even though he might claim to not care what other people think/say he actually cares a whole bunch and it would be hard for him to have ignored all the backlash in some quarters to some of the imagery in his music. I do seem to remember an interview he did befoer where he talked about not wanting to read reviews and opinions about his music because he didn't want it to affect what he was doing so he knew it at least had the potential of happening. Also, the production I think has really stepped up a lot, which is a big draw for me. He's using a few more samples now it seems (before he pretty much always said he hated sampling) and oddly it seems to have gave his music a more "natural" sound. Someone said this album is more mature and although I do kinda hate using that term for it, it's somewhat true.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 31, 2013

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Odd Future is terrible angsty poo poo that doesn't sound nice to my ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEjY6BELn_Q

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

UP AND ADAM posted:

Haha, if you think that Odd Future's audience is different than the general rap audience you are stupid as hell.

Seriously? Even on the forum there's a whole Odd Future thread full of people who don't post in this thread. You can clearly like both but dude there are definitely a ton of "I don't listen to rap except..." OF fans

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

cardedagain posted:

Boiler Room stream coming on in a few minutes.

Boiler Room Rap Life Los Angeles

RZA, Ghostface Killah & Adrian Younge w/ Venice Dawn, Pharcyde, Killah Priest, Jonwayne, Chuck Inglish, Da$h

This show will be broadcasted live from 6pm – 11pm (PST), Saturday 30th March

The show itself is strictly private, you must be on a guest list to get in.

Everyone else, you get to watch amazing music, free, live, online.

BROADCAST URL: http://boilerroom.tv/live

Pharcyde (BB + Imani) + band and Ghostface/Killah Priest + Adrian Younge w/ Venice Dawn was some crazy rear end poo poo. Crowd was super LA rich kids. Lame. Hope someone puts vids of those two acts though.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

alansmithee posted:

To elaborate, I think this is really, really accurate for his first two albums. But there's something a bit...different about Wolf. He has cut down a lot on the "shock" tactics of his first two albums, but I'm not exactly sure how natural it is; like many teens even though he might claim to not care what other people think/say he actually cares a whole bunch and it would be hard for him to have ignored all the backlash in some quarters to some of the imagery in his music. I do seem to remember an interview he did befoer where he talked about not wanting to read reviews and opinions about his music because he didn't want it to affect what he was doing so he knew it at least had the potential of happening. Also, the production I think has really stepped up a lot, which is a big draw for me. He's using a few more samples now it seems (before he pretty much always said he hated sampling) and oddly it seems to have gave his music a more "natural" sound. Someone said this album is more mature and although I do kinda hate using that term for it, it's somewhat true.
I'm trying to not review the album yet, I want to listen to it for about another week. But the 2 biggest criticisms I read of Tyler was 1) Goblin's beats sucked 2) Hateful to gays/women. I think Wolf addresses those criticism, probably too directly. The sappy love stuff is kinda a gently caress you to people that says he doesn't have any feelings. The beats are a huge step up. I'm not the biggest OF fan but I respect their angle and think the criticism was needed to help them grow up. You don't have to ban someone after 1 album but give them a chance to mature before you label their music. That's all I wanted the Tegan and Sara vein of critics to do. I think rappers are way more sensitive and willing to please than critics give them credit.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

temple posted:

I'm trying to not review the album yet, I want to listen to it for about another week. But the 2 biggest criticisms I read of Tyler was 1) Goblin's beats sucked 2) Hateful to gays/women. I think Wolf addresses those criticism, probably too directly. The sappy love stuff is kinda a gently caress you to people that says he doesn't have any feelings. The beats are a huge step up. I'm not the biggest OF fan but I respect their angle and think the criticism was needed to help them grow up. You don't have to ban someone after 1 album but give them a chance to mature before you label their music. That's all I wanted the Tegan and Sara vein of critics to do. I think rappers are way more sensitive and willing to please than critics give them credit.

Are you hating on Tegan and Sara. I will fight you

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

an skeleton posted:

Are you hating on Tegan and Sara. I will fight you

I know exactly zero about their music outside of what little I read about when they first started bitching about OF, but I know Noz (who again is really the best dude writing about rap) started talking a bit when the first hubbub was starting about "Tegan and Sara" outsiders: people who give zero shits about rap music and/or the culture behind it, but still felt the need to comment about OF in particular for what they said about women/gays (also notably ignoring what they said about blacks). It's the same thing that I've discussed here-you get people who are rap outsiders who only seem to care about the music when something negative is being said about gays or (white) women. I find it offensive and at least mildly racist (because it reeks of white man's burden poo poo) and it's a big part of why I'm not quite sold on the whole OF "maturing" thing because it sounds a lot more like Tyler pandering to the white, middle class tastes of a lot of his audience.

It's the same thing with the current Rick Ross "controversy": people complain about his lyrics that may mention date rape in the Rocko song (Ross actually did an interview talking ab out how that's not really what it was, but really that's what it was) and how it contributes to rape culture, but don't seem to care how his raps about drugs and murder and gangs contribute to the black drug dealer/gang/murder culture. I know someone mentioned before bell hooks talking about the outcry about NWA and Tupac when he was first coming up and how "white america" reacted, and the way I see it it's kinda like the minute "white america" realized all the violent poo poo rappers were talking about was pretty much limited go ghettos and black people, everyone decided it wasn't so bad after all. That's somewhat of an oversimplification, but not much. And like temple said, Tyler got a lot of poo poo not just because of what he was saying, but because his image/appearance/content was a lot more suburban middle-class rather than urban ghetto.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

asap-salafi posted:

This poo poo bangs, please post more stuff that bangs

In every sense of the word

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3FErA6Ve4s

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I think if I were younger I would be more into Odd Future but their whole thing is pretty cool and at least they're doing something original. I really like Frank Ocean though. They have some pretty terrible fans but that's not their fault really.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I don't think Tyler is pandering. I think he is a smart dude who doesn't really see a career or personal development in continuing to use language like that, or rather he probably doesn't want to feel like he HAS to be so obviously shocking to express himself and be successful. This is just guessing, Tyler seems like he is a pretty smart and introspective fellow behind the scenes. I think calling it "maturing" is probably pretty accurate?

As far as Ross the whole thing is ridiculous to me personally, and I am (sometimes) part of a rave culture where date rape is apparently a real thing (i've never seen it happen or really met any victims of it but I suppose it is something girls should be wary of) and I don't like that Ross isn't able to rap like that without being criticized by said "Tegan and Sara critics." He could be playing a character (lol Rick Ross is a C.O. lol) or he could be referencing a past event or whatever, we don't criticize book authors for writing about such events but Rick Ross is some role model that needs to be torn down? I don't get it. Also, despite not being a Rick Ross fan I do like his verse and that song alot.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

UP AND ADAM posted:

Haha, if you think that Odd Future's audience is different than the general rap audience you are stupid as hell.

Can't help but disagree with you there, all the people I know who are deep into OF are the most attention seeking, spoilt rear end, white, middle class losers who don't actually listen to rap but are the typical Pitchfork reader that was described either last page or the page before, but without the Wu-Tang. The people I know who are into it aren't well socially adjusted, who kinda latch onto both weird new things/things they think will get them some likes on facebook. Odd thing is, the ones who are into it are all the exact kind of people who I expect would be into it. Whenever I have spoken with them about rap the conversation has gone something like this;

Them: "Oh, yeah, I like rap too."
Me: "Oh, great, you listen to Gucci/Danny Brown/anyothermodernmainstreamrapper's new mixtape?"
Them: "...What is a mixtape...?"

They aren't into rap, they are into OF explicitly, they are into whatever they are about. OF have appeal, but it isn't the same appeal to the rap mainstream, or, no the same appeal at least. They are drama, they are hype, and so is some rap, but not the same type. From what I've listened to from OF, they kinda feel like the Marilyn Manson of rap, latched onto by angsty kids who have nothing else going on in their life, no job, still in education and going nowhere with that.

I'm in Britain, so maybe the kind of people who would be into OF here are different to America, but I'm not so sure. alansmithee mentioned something about America earlier. However, I can definitely agree with class being more of a thing about it, definitely more than race like rap usually is. I live in a place that is not ethnically diverse at all, and there are next to no rap fans (check how bad the local talent is). However, there are OF fans, in an almost anomalous way, like, it is disproportionate. I am just as white as the OF fans (I am so white) AND like rap to boot, so, if anything, I feel I should be more likely than they are to be into OF, but I'm not. I kind of really dislike them, in the same way I disliked my earlier comparison, Marilyn Manson. Trying very hard to be edgy. But then, I'm poor as gently caress, from a family that is poor as gently caress, whereas the OF fans all seem to be very, very middle/upper class and pretty spoilt. They are all kind of terrible, they toss around memes and are into 4chan.

But that is just my opinion, it might be total dogshit and wrong.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 31, 2013

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
What rap/how much rap does one have to listen to before they "actually" listen to it?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

an skeleton posted:

What rap/how much rap does one have to listen to before they "actually" listen to it?

I poorly phrased that, sorry. I mean like, they listen to just Odd Future joints, which is rap, but nothing outside of that. They do listen to rap through that gateway only. Sorry, kinda tired as I type this.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I guess I was speaking from my perspective. In my experience, Odd Future is just another rap group that some of the young people I know like(d) and some don't. Also I know black people that are into OF. I haven't seen the thread on SA, but it does look like there a bunch of people that don't post in this thread there. Alansmithee your attempts at hip hop discussion are mostly uninteresting to me, so I don't respond to them.

re:alansmithee, you're right. Sorry.

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 1, 2013

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I like that Rocko song as well, its a good concept and matches the beat. Rick Ross knew what he was saying but he says a lot of slick poo poo and gets away with it. From gang references to rape, he's always betting people aren't paying attention to lyrics. A lot of people have been waiting for the poo poo to hit his fan(and I'm loving it). The line was him trying to reference Molly but he had to add a macho edge to it.

Rick is playing a character but he is still advocating something bad. If Game of Thrones has rape in it, you don't blame the actors but Ross is more than just an actor. He's the writer, director, producer too. That's why you can take him to take task on it. gently caress Ross, that's really says everything you need to know. I'd defend rappers if I think there is a legitimate basis behind their music. But he's an opportunist. If being a dirty cop was the new thing, he'd brag about being a CO.

As for

an skeleton posted:

There is hiphop culture and hiphop music. I don't take artists seriously but think the culture is important. I think NMD takes artists seriously but could give a gently caress about culture. Fans should know about the culture before they start criticizing artists or the music. Which is why Tegan and Sara struck me as offensive because they missed out on how OF's brand of sexism and homopobia was different than the traditional brand and they missed the internal discussion hiphop has had for years about these topics. I was patient that OF would or at least could change because they were teenagers. They are products of America and its flaws just as much as being children in hiphop. I get their (T&S) point but it came off as blame the black guy instead of criticizing an issue that is manifesting itself through these kids.

temple fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 1, 2013

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

UP AND ADAM posted:

I guess I was speaking from my perspective. In my experience, Odd Future is just another rap group that some of the young people I know like(d) and some don't. Also I know black people that are into OF. I haven't seen the thread on SA, but it does look like there a bunch of people that don't post in this thread there. Alansmithee your attempts at hip hop discussion are mostly uninteresting to me, so I don't respond to them.

You supposedly don't respond to me, yet you choose an offhand throwaway line in one of my posts to reply to with something that was uninteresting, useless, and flat out objectively wrong? And now you're trying to be all like "well, your topics aren't of interest to one such as I, therefore I don't elect to grace them with my replies" as if you've ever made any sort of actual worthwhile discussion (interesting or otherwise) when everyone was pointing out you were while talking out your rear end. Dude you're a loving clown.

an skeleton posted:

My main beef with the whole "I don't like rap but..." dudes in general is that their attitude seems to go out of it's way to actively poo poo on whatever parts of rap they don't like (usually the entirety besides one or two acts). There's also oftentimes (but not always) some vague, dismissive cultural poo poo twined with it. If dudes just don't like rap but like OF/Ross/Macklemore/Gucci/whatever, that's cool. I don't dig most rock. But I also don't talk poo poo about the rock music I don't listen to, or somehow think that because I've heard a couple songs on the radio and have my pet bands that I'm some expert on rock music quality and can dismiss the entirety of the genre. Instead of using something as a gateway to listening to more of that music, they use it to reinforce their erroneous beliefs about rap in general.

And as for the more general cultural stuff, I would actually like if it were possible to divorce rap music from any sort of "culture" because then you could get away from a lot of the race poo poo in the music. Then when some college doofus makes an acoustic cover of "Gin and Juice" it wouldn't be quite so horrible. But unfortunately that's not gonna happen any time in the future that I see so there's always gonna be this weird outsider element when suburban white dudes start listening to thug poo poo or w/e.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

https://soundcloud.com/omfgod/black-jesus

white white ‏@noz 3h
mos def is out here yodeling military chants about black jesus over mannie fresh beats

white white ‏@noz 3h
i should emphasize the *yodelling* there because regular military chants about black jesus on mannie beats would cool (if juvenile did it)

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

you guys are so cute :3:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
That new OMFGod track is terrible but it reminded me of Mighty D-Block so now I'm finna do pull-ups in the yard to some old Sheek Louch. Thanks Mos Def!

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Found my old copy of It's Dark and Hell is Hot today. Best Easter ever.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

alansmithee posted:

And as for the more general cultural stuff, I would actually like if it were possible to divorce rap music from any sort of "culture" because then you could get away from a lot of the race poo poo in the music. Then when some college doofus makes an acoustic cover of "Gin and Juice" it wouldn't be quite so horrible. But unfortunately that's not gonna happen any time in the future that I see so there's always gonna be this weird outsider element when suburban white dudes start listening to thug poo poo or w/e.

I know the misogyny and homophobia in hip hop is terrible, but I can't justify wiping a cultural movement off like that. The culture is half of the music. As the whitest of white guys with a completely different life to those of rappers, I don't associate with a lot of what they rap about. I'm not violent, I don't experience prejudice against me personally, so on, so yeah, you could really see someone like me as an outsider. However, I have an appreciation of the art produced by the movement. But why should you divorce a culture from it's movement just to make space for people like me? You don't. Don't wipe the culture, you find a way to make it change, give it a reason to change. I don't know how that would precisely come to pass, but one thing is for certain, it would take a lot of work, on both sides, the in and the out.

There is a disconnect between the insiders and outsiders, for certain, but the only way you can change hip hop is not to forcefully change it, but to slowly absolve the race, misogyny and homophobia issues through mutual work until it is no longer an issue. It would just take a hell of a lot of time, because it would have to be done properly and naturally. It is happening now though, what I see, read and hear about the community is that it seemed to be a lot more exclusive previously, but seems to have gotten better slightly on the violence. Violence in modern rap feels exaggerated, untrue. Violence in rap feels like it is on life support with how fake it comes off. People are going to realise this eventually and drop it from their work. Same with the other issues, they might just take longer as they are simply more difficult to solve.

Forcing it to change, through divorcing culture and movement, will just create a new, fake culture surrounding hip hop which doesn't quite work properly, for the artists or the fans.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

TenaciousTomato posted:

Pharcyde (BB + Imani) + band and Ghostface/Killah Priest + Adrian Younge w/ Venice Dawn was some crazy rear end poo poo. Crowd was super LA rich kids. Lame. Hope someone puts vids of those two acts though.

the latter, in full
http://vimeo.com/63055868

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Listen to the coup everyday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceW3LTSmLfk

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003
Like someone earlier in the thread, i attended SGP and Raider Klan's show tonight. Out of all the Klan that performed, I'd say the two absolute standouts were Ethelwulf and Amber London. I was disappointed that Denzel Curry wasn't with them, but given that he's still a minor, that's understandable. The audio was blown out as hell, and half the time you couldn't make out the vocals, it was also pretty clear that they were rapping over a pre-recorded track, but it was still an overall fun experience and worth the $10 that tickets were. I'd say probably about 40-60 people in the entire room.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

alansmithee posted:

I've been liking a lot more of Curry. It's kinda funny but it's almost starting to look like SGP's biggest contribution to rap will be giving his friends/raider clan a bigger audience cause he hasn't made poo poo worthwhile in a minute.

but the BMW tape was really good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r-cKArGQug

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Another Person posted:

I poorly phrased that, sorry. I mean like, they listen to just Odd Future joints, which is rap, but nothing outside of that. They do listen to rap through that gateway only. Sorry, kinda tired as I type this.

I think you'll find this is because most of them are teenagers, they are just starting to get into music and it is a familiar gateway to rap. All the kids I know who are young and listen to rap listen to wu-tang and odd future then grow from there. I don't think you can write it off as a permanent thing that they only listen to OF.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

http://vimeo.com/63055868

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

alansmithee posted:

I know exactly zero about their music outside of what little I read about when they first started bitching about OF, but I know Noz (who again is really the best dude writing about rap) started talking a bit when the first hubbub was starting about "Tegan and Sara" outsiders: people who give zero shits about rap music and/or the culture behind it, but still felt the need to comment about OF in particular for what they said about women/gays (also notably ignoring what they said about blacks). It's the same thing that I've discussed here-you get people who are rap outsiders who only seem to care about the music when something negative is being said about gays or (white) women. I find it offensive and at least mildly racist (because it reeks of white man's burden poo poo) and it's a big part of why I'm not quite sold on the whole OF "maturing" thing because it sounds a lot more like Tyler pandering to the white, middle class tastes of a lot of his audience.

It's the same thing with the current Rick Ross "controversy": people complain about his lyrics that may mention date rape in the Rocko song (Ross actually did an interview talking ab out how that's not really what it was, but really that's what it was) and how it contributes to rape culture, but don't seem to care how his raps about drugs and murder and gangs contribute to the black drug dealer/gang/murder culture. I know someone mentioned before bell hooks talking about the outcry about NWA and Tupac when he was first coming up and how "white america" reacted, and the way I see it it's kinda like the minute "white america" realized all the violent poo poo rappers were talking about was pretty much limited go ghettos and black people, everyone decided it wasn't so bad after all. That's somewhat of an oversimplification, but not much. And like temple said, Tyler got a lot of poo poo not just because of what he was saying, but because his image/appearance/content was a lot more suburban middle-class rather than urban ghetto.

Byron Crawford is black and influential and he was calling out Ross for the rape references and hasn't mentioned the violence at all.

Anyway -- whoever was poo poo talking the Spaceghostpurrp show got the short end of the stick. I saw him last night -- crowd was small but hyped up, tons of weed smoke in the building, some cute girls dancing, opening acts were good, good night overall. Some of his crew were really good too. Only thing that sucked was a lot of the beats weren't mixed too well and were clipping or the bass would be nonexistent, maybe like 1/4 his beats were hosed up like that. He played forever and was super good with the crowd, they really seemed to enjoy the energy there. It was his birthday too.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Does Jae Millz have any stand out work worth listening to? He's usually a pretty good/underrated feature.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Tyga featuring Jadakiss and Tupac

http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/tyga-hit-em-up-song.1303822.html

So are we going to get a bunch of new songs "featuring" Tupac?

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Tupac made so many songs someone could probably just piece words together and keep making albums. That being said Tyga sucks and it's stupid that people can just exploit his memory. I don't know why his mom lets hologram performances and guest verses on lovely songs happen.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Harley C posted:

I think you'll find this is because most of them are teenagers, they are just starting to get into music and it is a familiar gateway to rap. All the kids I know who are young and listen to rap listen to wu-tang and odd future then grow from there. I don't think you can write it off as a permanent thing that they only listen to OF.

Wu-tang? Why do so many suburban teenagers go back to the 90s when starting off with rap? I know a group of kids who know nothing about rap but think NWA, old 3-6, and of course OF, are the poo poo. Then they harp of guys like Gucci and what not for being bad people. What is this about?

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

John Brown posted:

Wu-tang? Why do so many suburban teenagers go back to the 90s when starting off with rap? I know a group of kids who know nothing about rap but think NWA, old 3-6, and of course OF, are the poo poo. Then they harp of guys like Gucci and what not for being bad people. What is this about?

MTV documentaries, about.com lists and pitchfork. Although I didn't realise 36 Mafia was in the same league as NWA/OF in terms of popularity with non-rap fans.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

John Brown posted:

For a lot of people here it was what your older brothers listened to (either then or in the past).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
It's popular in genres of all things to get your introduction from the classics. I know when I started listening to rap one of the first albums I got was 36 Chambers and Ridin' Dirty.

• Locked thread