Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Guys, we're forgetting the best named Falcom game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

The Mimic posted:

Yes, there's a couple of quests that are missable too, if I'm not mistaken. One involves Elena and starts at a certain point, the other starts outside of the castle at a certain point. The castle one is the easiest to miss, I think. Basically, after every major event, check around with the NPCs, I suppose. There's a guide on GameFAQs that highlights the few missable things, as well.

The bump system is a little archaic feeling at first, but if you give it a little time to sink in, you'll probably love it. It's simple, but it means running through an area literally means running through the area, with bodies exploding the whole way. Ys II has more to do, combat-wise, as well. It's really not a bad system, but I'm glad they moved away from it. If every Ys game played like that, I'm sure it would get stale eventually.

I like de-equipping Adol after I max out level and run around the early zone before Darm Tower. It's like Adol practices Hokuto Shinken.

As for Oath before Claw: I say go for it-but absolutely eventually get to Claw's storyline. But a break in the monotony that is Darm Tower isn't a bad idea(I did two back to back, but I had gone Hugo to Claw, took a break for awhile, and then eventually did a Yunica playthrough to see her story. Then broke for awhile and had decided to pick up Claw Hard Mode a couple days ago.)

On one hand, I do think the design decision to unlock the canon story was kind of weird, but if I look at it another way, it's a case of 'Earning your real ending.' And I think compared to other cases I actually felt like it was completely worth extra trips through Darm Tower to see.

Azaael fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 1, 2013

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
It's easier to mess up and get hedged in the face when attacking diagonally in Ys I & II. Dawn of Ys was a lot kinder about hitting things diagonally because the game had a hard time working out where you were relative to your enemies sometimes and just gave you the benefit of the doubt for free hits.

The enemies aren't what get you with bump and grind Ys games, it's the bosses. They can get insanely bullshit with hitboxes when you're not supposed to shoot them to death. It doesn't matter where you hit them in boss fights, it's when.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

toddy. posted:

It's easier to mess up and get hedged in the face when attacking diagonally in Ys I & II. Dawn of Ys was a lot kinder about hitting things diagonally because the game had a hard time working out where you were relative to your enemies sometimes and just gave you the benefit of the doubt for free hits.

The enemies aren't what get you with bump and grind Ys games, it's the bosses. They can get insanely bullshit with hitboxes when you're not supposed to shoot them to death. It doesn't matter where you hit them in boss fights, it's when.

*Remembers Vagullion in the original Turbo version*

:suicide:

Really, that one was terrible with the bumper-car style in the original. Since you got ZERO tells on when he was going to actually reform.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm inclined to say that despite the silly title this is actually the best game Falcom has ever made. Also there's an english patch in the works for it that has been getting delayed for years and is expected to finally be done this year.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm partial to Vantage Master and Lord Monarch myself. :)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

kirbysuperstar posted:

"Two II" ... tutu?

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

kirbysuperstar posted:

http://bofgames.com/projects/zwei-2/

Might as well post this here. The eng patch beta was announced near the end of last year, it should be out soon.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

sandpiper posted:

http://bofgames.com/projects/zwei-2/

Might as well post this here. The eng patch beta was announced near the end of last year, it should be out soon.

Welp. Guess I need to get this, now.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Lance Streetman posted:

Welp. Guess I need to get this, now.

Actually, it was going to be released this month, but since the main person had to go to the hospital after an airplane-related accident (turbulence) it's delayed by a couple months.

Then again, it's fine since I wasn't aware of this patch until relatively recently.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Updated the OP with sections for Xanadu Next and Zwei II. They're fairly bare-bones right now, so as always, give me a holler if you want something changed.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

No English version of Zwei, um, 1, I assume? Or Xanadu not-Next?

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

gschmidl posted:

There's a progress bar on the patch site I linked, judging from the bar Zwei is 1/3 of the way translated.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

gschmidl posted:

Xanadu not-Next is from 1985. :v: I think a lot of modern players would have trouble appreciating it, it's pretty primitive by today's standards.

Also none for Zwei one, because while Z2 is one of Falcom's best games, Z1 is surprisingly weak.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

SpaceDrake posted:

Xanadu not-Next is from 1985. :v: I think a lot of modern players would have trouble appreciating it, it's pretty primitive by today's standards.

Also none for Zwei one, because while Z2 is one of Falcom's best games, Z1 is surprisingly weak.

I guess that means no previous knowledge of Z1 is really needed for 2, and none of Xanadu for XNext, then. Thanks!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

How is Sorcerian? I know it actually came out here on DOS but apparently that version is missing stuff from the Japanese versions.

Also, if I could pay import prices I'd totally buy Xanadu Next just because I'd be more interested in the PC version over the horrible N-Gage port...if only that was going to be added to Steam sometime soon.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Zeether posted:

How is Sorcerian? I know it actually came out here on DOS but apparently that version is missing stuff from the Japanese versions.

I wish I knew, I've been meaning to try one of the versions out, because it looks like a cool game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

SpaceDrake posted:

If I like Legacy of the Wizard(despite it being so loving hard), do you think I could appreciate Xanadu? Are they anything alike?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

If I like Legacy of the Wizard(despite it being so loving hard), do you think I could appreciate Xanadu? Are they anything alike?

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/xanadu/xanadu.htm

Here's an article about Xanadu and it's spin-offs. The next page has more info, as well as a section about Xanadu Next.

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:

Zeether posted:

I'm LPing Sorcerian here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3533169 (sorry self promotion, and yeah I plan on finally knocking out voiceover for ep 5 tomorrow eve). The US version has recomposed MIDI music which in some cases is much worse but is generally "ok," and it has all 15 adventures from what I guess is called "Sorcerian Basic Scenario." DOS didn't get any of the expansion content so there's no Sengoku/Gilgamesh/Pyramid/Selected Sorcerian scenarios, which is, I dunno, at least 20+ more adventures generally meant for characters who've been through at least the original content. Lacking expansions notwithstanding it's a perfectly good port.

Personally I love the game but it's kind of down to nostalgia/acquired taste because it's SUPER janky and obtuse in a ton of ways.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

In Origins, where are you supposed to go (as Yunica) after you get the Crimson Lotusblade?. I can't seem to figure it out.

e: Oh wow I'm dumb, nevermind.

e2: Alright, I'm dumb and I'm stuck again. How do I get through the evil corridor? I can get to the side-room with the Roo, but I have nothing to feed it.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 2, 2013

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

In Origins, where are you supposed to go (as Yunica) after you get the Crimson Lotusblade?. I can't seem to figure it out.

e: Oh wow I'm dumb, nevermind.

e2: Alright, I'm dumb and I'm stuck again. How do I get through the evil corridor? I can get to the side-room with the Roo, but I have nothing to feed it.

There's a hidden path in one of the earlier rooms. Look for a big symbol on the ground.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

There's a hidden path in one of the earlier rooms. Look for a big symbol on the ground.

I ended up looking it up, but thanks anyway. I had completely forgotten about the Mask of Truth.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I forgot about the Mask of Truth too, but I ended up getting to it with her wind spell.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
I was chatting with a buddy about Chronicles, and we were talking about Dalles. We noticed how they used his updated Origins artwork in the new game. However, he pointed out that before, Dalles looked pretty monstrous, and he said that he liked that idea that in Origins Toal essentially beat the pretty right out of him.

I got to thinking that it could have been cool if they had marred up Dalles' look with some really nasty looking Claw scars to depict the curbstomping Claw administered to Dalles in Origins all those years ago. I mean we put together that Gelaldy essentially got his head torn the hell off by an angrydemon-man, which is why he's headless(well, a disembodied head) in Ys 2. :eng101:

Dunno why, but I just thought that would be pretty awesome.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Okay so I ran into a rather strange brick wall in Ys Origin playing as Hugo. I completed Rado's Annex and have to open the door. I went back to kill the blinking red monsters in the regular tower... but none of my attacks do damage. A fully charged fire attack does, like, 24 damage in 3 8 damage increments. The monsters themselves do a third of my health per attack and are super fast. What the hell, man? These are harder than any of the bosses I've faced.

I'm on hard mode.

edit: Welp, when in doubt, grind. 2 levels took care of that problem.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 3, 2013

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Okay so I ran into a rather strange brick wall in Ys Origin playing as Hugo. I completed Rado's Annex and have to open the door. I went back to kill the blinking red monsters in the regular tower... but none of my attacks do damage. A fully charged fire attack does, like, 24 damage in 3 8 damage increments. The monsters themselves do a third of my health per attack and are super fast. What the hell, man? These are harder than any of the bosses I've faced.

I'm on hard mode.

The way I dealt with this was to use his mines. Place one a little bit away from a wall, lead the enemy beyond the mine, and when it goes off it does a stream of damage as it's trapped against the wall by the explosion. It still takes a good 5 - 10 mines to kill one, and you still may die in the process if you get hit too often. Those guys are seriously the hardest thing in the entire Hugo run.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I had more trouble with those than anything else in Hugo's game too. I didn't want to grind, so I got them stuck on the stairway on the right side of the room so I could just shoot them to death without having to worry about anything else.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'm on hard mode.

edit: Welp, when in doubt, grind. 2 levels took care of that problem.

And when grinding doesn't work, make sure you haven't missed a weapon upgrade. One of those things can mean the difference between "impossible" and "laughable."

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

raditts posted:

And when grinding doesn't work, make sure you haven't missed a weapon upgrade. One of those things can mean the difference between "impossible" and "laughable."

That actually happened to me yesterday. I was fighting the Construct(the lava guy where you shoot his hands off) and I remembered it being really easy on Yunica so I was baffled as to why I was struggling, like I had taken 6 or so tries and couldn't get the last 1/5 of his health, it was just too hard. Then I realized I still had some Cleria ore and crushed him on my next try.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

That actually happened to me yesterday. I was fighting the Construct(the lava guy where you shoot his hands off) and I remembered it being really easy on Yunica so I was baffled as to why I was struggling, like I had taken 6 or so tries and couldn't get the last 1/5 of his health, it was just too hard. Then I realized I still had some Cleria ore and crushed him on my next try.

Same thing happened to me except with Yunica (and on Normal). Only difference is that I didn't realize I had a Cleria ore until after I basically mastered the fight and pushed through it :v:

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009
I've experienced this as well, with the blinky enemies, but also in Oath during the second fight with Chester. Leveling up a few times in a Ys game alters the difficulty so drastically. I had come from Dark Souls, so I think I was still thinking levels didn't matter THAT much and I could get away with being underleveled.

That being said, the bosses in Oath seem way more ridiculous than in Origin. It's like most have an attack where they fire projectiles high into the air that home in on you from above, and they always do it while doing something else!

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

SpaceDrake posted:

Xanadu is a brutally harsh game. If I recall part of the game's development was they kept changing the game to make it harder and harder until they could barely beat it then released it to the public.
Unsatisfied that people actually beat it, they released expansion scenarios which were romhack difficult.

That said Xanadu Next also incorporates the difficulty of its predecessor but in a less bullshit way. Completing the game is obscenely difficult and then at the end the game presents you with a ranking screen telling you how terrible you are for dying twice. It has some insane replay value though, and it's basically as close as Falcom's going to get to making Dark Souls.

Also Zwei 1 is okay. Most of the game is charm and incredible 2d sketch-style graphics, accompanied by a very different kind of Falcom soundtrack. Also it plays host to Falcom's greatest title:

DOGADVENTURES

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I couldn't find an Ys Megathread and just spent an hour working on an OP for one. Luckily someone in the Retro Megathread pointed me here!

I love Ys. It's one of my favorite series and I've been dipping my toe into other Falcom series like Legend of Heroes.

I've written extensively about how much I love XSEED and Ys and constantly bug them on Twitter.

Sup, guys. I'm gonna be here a lot.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Words about Ys 1's obtuseness.

I was reviewing XSEED's Ys I&II Chronicles when it first came out and couldn't believe how obtuse the game was. Then I discovered one of the greatest treats in game localization history. XSEED actually includes a guide for the whole first game in the back of the manual! Maps and everything. Since most people play the first Ys as a history lesson, it's worth it to use the guide and blast through that game. A lot of people skip over game manuals completely, so I still regularly get to surprise people with this who've had the game since it came out.

XSEED's special editions really are the poo poo. I have Seven and I&II, but still no physical copy of Oath in Felghana despite owning it on PSN and Steam. I'm hoping to rectify that soon since it looks like the values are finally starting to go up now that they seem to be out of print. I also got the Trails in the Sky SE. XSEED knows how to put together a sexy package. I hope Celceta gets something pretty as well.

EDIT: Since I seem to have killed the thread.

You guys have me playing through Oath in Felghana again. I was trucking along and actually a bit worried I may have over-leveled. Then I got to Death Faleon who is kicking my rear end.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 7, 2013

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I've been trying to finish Ys II after a year of putting it down and now after endless backtracking and constantly getting lost in the Solomon shrine I'm finally getting close to the end. This game desperately needs a map or something because I've probably wasted ten hours going back and forth and not knowing where the gently caress to go in that place alone. Game is still awesome though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Unmature posted:

I was reviewing XSEED's Ys I&II Chronicles when it first came out and couldn't believe how obtuse the game was. Then I discovered one of the greatest treats in game localization history. XSEED actually includes a guide for the whole first game in the back of the manual! Maps and everything. Since most people play the first Ys as a history lesson, it's worth it to use the guide and blast through that game. A lot of people skip over game manuals completely, so I still regularly get to surprise people with this who've had the game since it came out.

Huh. Well, that's news to me. I flicked through the manual a little, but obviously didn't get far enough to see that. A neat surprise, no doubt.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Marogareh posted:

I've been trying to finish Ys II after a year of putting it down and now after endless backtracking and constantly getting lost in the Solomon shrine I'm finally getting close to the end. This game desperately needs a map or something because I've probably wasted ten hours going back and forth and not knowing where the gently caress to go in that place alone. Game is still awesome though.

There are some maps here: http://www.neoseeker.com/Games/Products/DS/legacy_of_ys_books_i_ii/faqs.html
They were pretty helpful when I played this game.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Just got this in the mail. Popped it in and switched the dialogue to Japanese. Anything else I should know before starting?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Switch the cutscenes to the originals too. Don't want to have to see that horrible CG stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Switch the cutscenes to the originals too. Don't want to have to see that horrible CG stuff.

I tried, but I'm not sure if it worked. The beach part was in-engine, but the opening cutscene was anime. Was there any anime-style FMV in the normal Konami version?

EDIT:

Goddamn, everyone in this town is racist as poo poo.

• Locked thread