Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Bubble Babble posted:

Have you tried probiotics? I had soooo many issues with my insides before I quit wheat, and then when I started taking probiotics (too much information) everything was great and smooth. My poop has been awesome in every way so far, except when I eat wheat by accident, and I really think it's from the probiotics.

I had to take Miralax before I figured out the gluten thing, and that stuff is horrific. I'd get all teary and stressed before I had to take it. I actually preferred the cramping with other laxatives than choking down that thick liquid.

I did try eating more yogurt at one point, but probably not enough to notice if it made a big effect on my system or not. Maybe I should look into some of those probiottic pills instead, I'm not always the biggest fan of yogurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Awesome, thanks everyone else for chiming in and making me feel not crazy for wondering if it was normal to be worried about how much he moves!

Today is baby day for Dandy Shrew isn't it?

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

sudont posted:

Awesome, thanks everyone else for chiming in and making me feel not crazy for wondering if it was normal to be worried about how much he moves!

Today is baby day for Dandy Shrew isn't it?

Would have been! They did an internal exam and a scan and since the baby is doing fine/it is the weekend, they've scheduledme for monday morning. One thing, though; I have had absolutely brutal diarrhea since yesterday morning. Doctor did not seem concerned at all with it since I'm able to drink fluids, but my guts are absolutely killing me and I seem to be getting super bad hemorrhoid flare ups :( (hemorrhoid talk ITT)

I know that diarrhea can be an early sign of labor, but I didn't think it'd go on for 2 days and cause significant belly cramping. I can't say I'm amused.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Dandy Shrew posted:

Would have been! They did an internal exam and a scan and since the baby is doing fine/it is the weekend, they've scheduledme for monday morning. One thing, though; I have had absolutely brutal diarrhea since yesterday morning. Doctor did not seem concerned at all with it since I'm able to drink fluids, but my guts are absolutely killing me and I seem to be getting super bad hemorrhoid flare ups :( (hemorrhoid talk ITT)

I know that diarrhea can be an early sign of labor, but I didn't think it'd go on for 2 days and cause significant belly cramping. I can't say I'm amused.

Oh dear. :ohdear: I hope you're able to get some R&R this weekend at least before baby day.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Dandy Shrew posted:

It can. Drink lots of water so you don't get dehydrated.

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
:science: Good to know. Reminds me of the warning on the antibiotic I was given when we thought I had a UTI: "May cause diarrhea weeks or months from now." In any event, I hope you find relief and get to enjoy your weekend as much as you can and yay baby on Monday!

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 22, 2017

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Lullabee posted:

Have any of you ever used probiotics for infants? Some of my mom friends swear by it, but I don't know. Any links to studies on it that are legit? Also - if they do work, where do you get them at? I checked Babies R Us, but they didn't have any.

What are you giving it for? I only did probiotics at the same time as antibiotics to try to ward off thrush. I doubt it's harmful. If you're giving it for a million other crazy reasons it's probably not helpful either though.

I got acidophilus at Whole Foods or an equivalent health food store in the refrigerator section. You can get powder or capsules that you can open.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

Lullabee posted:

Have any of you ever used probiotics for infants? Some of my mom friends swear by it, but I don't know. Any links to studies on it that are legit? Also - if they do work, where do you get them at? I checked Babies R Us, but they didn't have any.

We used them for thrush as well. Our pediatrician recommended giving them along with her prescription. He did cite some research when he made the recommendation, but I can't remember the details. Whole Foods has a couple of preparations just for children, but it probably doesn't matter. We just popped them open and swirled it around in a bottle of pumped breastmilk. We only used them in conjunction with the tongue paint and pills for me, so I can't tell you exactly how well they worked, but the thrush went away.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Lullabee posted:

They give it and claim it 'stops the babies stomach from hurting'. That when they give it regularly, their kids no longer cry when they poop or strain, so forth. I guess just like adults use it to 'regulate' themselves.

Honestly I would talk to your pediatrician about it rather than going by what your mom friends say. Babies fuss when they poop sometimes, it doesn't really indicate a problem.

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL

A SPECIAL UNICORN fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 15, 2019

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

A SPECIAL UNICORN posted:

All three of mine have fussed and whined when pooping, it's really normal. I don't think you need to give anything to "help" it.

I don't think it's harmful at all though, so if you want to try it, go for it!

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Schweig und tanze posted:

Honestly I would talk to your pediatrician about it rather than going by what your mom friends say. Babies fuss when they poop sometimes, it doesn't really indicate a problem.

This x1000. Unless the baby is straining really hard, has small, dark pelleted poops or a little bit of blood from straining, they don't really need "help." I'd hesitate to introduce anything foreign to an infant if it really wasn't necessary.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Apparently my eye-glasses are not baby-proof. Any suggestions for remedying that when I go shopping for the next pair?

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Ratatozsk posted:

Apparently my eye-glasses are not baby-proof. Any suggestions for remedying that when I go shopping for the next pair?

There are wire frames that are super bendy.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I buy really cheap ones. :-)

Van Goober
Feb 28, 2005
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?
I'm a bit late in posting this, but I delivered a goon baby on the 19th!

Ivy Marie, 7lb 9oz 20 3/4"

I had gone in for a NST at the OB the day before and since they saw that I was having very faint contractions, the doctor sent me to the hospital for more monitoring. At the hospital my blood pressure was elevated, so they decided to keep me and induce me since I was already overdue. My BP had been totally normal up til then, including that morning at the OB's office. I spent the night in a super uncomfortable L&D bed watching movies with Mr Goober with the fetal monitors strapped to me. The next morning they broke my water with the giant crochet hook and by about noon it was baby-having time. Fast forward 3 hours of pushing in just about every position they could think of and the kid was still refusing to make progress. Her head was down, but facing the wrong way so she was having a hard time descending (and at one point tried to crawl back inside, apparently) and was getting stressed so they put me next in line for a c section and by 5 I had a squirming little bear cub :3: Spent the next 3 days in the hospital recovering and eating ice chips. BP at on point got up to 177/110 but has since returned to normal.
We're coming up on 2 weeks old now and still trying to get the hang of nursing, no thanks to my Flatty McFlatFlat nipples. The nipple shield has been a lifesaver!

We had gotten our cat fixed the day before, so between my c section and her spay we have little matching scars :3:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 1, 2013

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 22, 2017

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Van Goober posted:

baby + The nipple shield has been a lifesaver!

Congratulations, that is one ridiculously adorable baby! :3:

Those of you with nursing experience - what are the nipple shields for (well, apart from the obvious - I mean in what particular circumstances will they be useful) and should I get some to have on hand after the birth in case I need them?

Actually, what nursing supplies in general would you recommend buying beforehand and what can I hold off on and see if I actually need first?
I've seen some pretty exhaustive lists online, and I'm pretty sure I don't actually need a truckload of equipment to feed a baby with my boobs.

I'm dreading the nursing way more than the birth at this point, I feel completely clueless about it and I know that it can take a while before both I and the kid get the hang of it, provided my body even cooperates. Fingers crossed it all works out.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Sockmuppet posted:

Those of you with nursing experience - what are the nipple shields for (well, apart from the obvious - I mean in what particular circumstances will they be useful) and should I get some to have on hand after the birth in case I need them?

Actually, what nursing supplies in general would you recommend buying beforehand and what can I hold off on and see if I actually need first?
I've seen some pretty exhaustive lists online, and I'm pretty sure I don't actually need a truckload of equipment to feed a baby with my boobs.

I'm dreading the nursing way more than the birth at this point, I feel completely clueless about it and I know that it can take a while before both I and the kid get the hang of it, provided my body even cooperates. Fingers crossed it all works out.

Nipple shields are good if you get seriously super sore nipples or if baby is having big problems with latching. I wouldn't get them beforehand, they are easy to get at any pharmacy.

Lanolin and a firm nursing pillow were good to have.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

The only things I find pretty necessary when I breast feed are my nursing pillow and a burping cloth. I've been unbelievably lucky in that I don't get sore nipples at all, but I still put some lanolin on there after I've showered. Oh, and nursing pads and a nice (pretty and comfortable) nursing bra are also good things to have. I haven't bought any particular nursing tops, but if you're out and about a lot you might consider it, if you don't want to pull your top all the way up everywhere you go.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
I've been holding off on buying both nursing bras and nursing tops since I have no idea what size I'll be after the birth, but I think I'll get a couple of those nursing tank tops from H&M in varying sizes, and then buy bras once I know what kind of boobage I'm dealing with.

Lanolin, pads and nursing pillow added to the shopping list, thank you! Burp cloths are already bought :) We visited my husbands grandmother in Hungary last week, and stocked up on baby clothes and burp cloths and various cheap things we're expecting to wash all the time and/or have her grow out of after a month or two.
His poor grandma nearly went into hysterics when she saw all the non-pink and non-frilly things we'd picked out. Apparently we'll ruin our poor infant daughter by dressing her in blue pajamas with polar bears on them :3:

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
What a cute new goober goon! Congrats. It's nice to see some girls, I'm sort of afraid there's no more girls being born ever, if the pregnant people I've met are any indication.

Also very interested in the breastfeeding list, glad you asked Sock. I'm going to put off getting most stuff other than a nursing pillow more or less cuz I'm on a wicked tight budget. I can get a pump "prescribed" so my insurance will cover it, if I need to pump, too, which is awesome.

Baby day for Dandy, good luck!

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Sockmuppet posted:

Those of you with nursing experience - what are the nipple shields for (well, apart from the obvious - I mean in what particular circumstances will theybe useful) and should I get some to have on hand after the birth in case I need them?
Basically for latching problems, if you have small nipples and the baby can't draw the nipple deep enough into it's mouth the shield gives it a bigger target to latch onto. The hospital provided me with one when it became obvious that Chris was having trouble. Also check to see what your hospital provides, mine sent me home with a really basic hand pump and they gave me lanolin, and some cooling gel pads that don't really help but certainly feel awesome.

I would say nursing pillow for sure (hospital pillows are a pain even if they give you as many as you want), maaaaybe a nursing bra but you'll probably have no interest in wearing a bra for a while anyways since you'll pretty much be whipping out your boobs constantly.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
The hospital gave me a nipple shield because on occasion my nipples just kind of disappear they get so flat. The nurse I had the next shift though told me not to use it too often because the baby might not learn to latch without it, and she gave me a manual pump to use before I nurse to help draw the nipple out a little more. After a few days they were sucked on so often that they stopped being flat anyway though.

I didn't have a breastfeeding pillow for the first 6 weeks or so, and now that I have one I don't know how I managed before. It makes things so much easier than having to stack up pillows everywhere, and most of the time I can nurse hands free with it although sometimes my newly giant breasts attempt to smother her if I don't hold them away from her nose. My milk came out really forcefully for the first few months, when Adeline unlatched it would just spray everywhere in all different directions. I liked using cloth diapers (prefolds) instead of regular burp cloths because they were a lot more absorbent when I had to wipe off my poor daughter who got soaked with breastmilk for like the 4th time that feeding.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Congrats Van Goober. She's adorable and the face she's making in that pic is hilarious!

sudont posted:

It's nice to see some girls, I'm sort of afraid there's no more girls being born ever, if the pregnant people I've met are any indication.

I'm due April 30th with a girl. The girls do seem a bit lacking in this thread lately though.

I can't believe I'm due this month. Other than my belly being a lot bigger I still don't really feel like I'm any closer to labor than I was months ago.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Ceridwen posted:

The girls do seem a bit lacking in this thread lately though.

Hey, there's at least three of us, four if we include Van Goobers new arrival!

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's insane--I literally have not heard of a single person having a girl around me, but in my childbirth class it's pretty evenly split so I know it's just a fluke. Kind of like the whole "I don't know anyone who's pregnant" till you get pregnant and notice everyone around you is pregnant!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I'll be the outlier who hated all nursing pillows! I even tried the My Brest Friend and much prefer a regular bed pillow. I'd keep the expensive stuff in the plastic it came in till you figure out if you need it :)

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Van Goober she's adorable. She almost looks like she's trying to make a little heart with her hands.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Sockmuppet posted:

Nipple shields should not be used without the advice and support of a lactation professional. Their use diminishes the amount of sensation that the breast receives from the infant and this can severely impact milk supply so you should work with a lactation professional to make sure you're pumping to help keep your supply up.

I don't think you need any supplies but I would make sure you know about any breastfeeding groups in your area as well as the contact info for some lactation consultants so you can get help if/when you need it.

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR

tse1618 posted:

The hospital gave me a nipple shield because on occasion my nipples just kind of disappear they get so flat. The nurse I had the next shift though told me not to use it too often because the baby might not learn to latch without it, and she gave me a manual pump to use before I nurse to help draw the nipple out a little more. After a few days they were sucked on so often that they stopped being flat anyway though.

This gives me a lot of hope because mine are also super flatty flat.

Bought a bunch of nursing bras this past week via the mail because there are no more sizes to go up in the brand I prefer. Feeling a bit sorry for myself. I'm going to have to go get fitted and measured because the 36Is weren't fitting. In a way, I was really glad to be trying them on at home so that no one else would have to deal with my freaky rack. I'm seriously missing my G cup, which was so tiny in retrospect.

Those cute little nursing shirts have mostly been a joke for me. Nothing has come close to fitting right. It would almost be easier if I were heavier, since it feels like no one expects a size 10 to be so top-heavy. Okay, done whining, but I'll still take suggestions.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Keep in mind that when baby gets a little bit bigger and you get handier at things, you can just heave your breast out and over the cup without needing a nursing bra! You'll still want them for earlier on, but that's the unexpected benefit of monstrous boobs. I'm back in my normal wonderful molded-cup bra and it's wonderful.

edit: and for nursing shirts (and ALL shirts and dresses), it just sucks to be huge. Cleavage all over the place, if they even fit. Since it's coming up on spring and summer, tank tops are a good idea. You can just pull them down or up and you're set.

If you're looking for a nursing cover, I liked the Pirose one. It's the most lightweight one I've found, and baby can see out through it, while others can't see in. http://www.amazon.com/Pirose-Nursin...irose+gabrielle It also folds up to fit in the smallest pocket of my purse.

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 1, 2013

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
I feel terrible saying this, but I think that actually having cleavage for the first time in my 37 years has been my favorite part of pregnancy thus far! All of my pre-pregnancy bras are the kind with a little bit of push up padding in the bottom, so unless I want to be all bustin' out I need to buy some new bras stat. I'll probably just get a couple nursing bras and go mostly with nursing camisoles, since he's due in June, I won't have to be wearing lots of layers.

I mean, I woke up totally freaking out one night a month or so ago thinking "Oh God there's something on my chest aaaaaah" only to realize that... I was laying on my side and my boobs were touching for the first time ever and I thought it was a bug or something.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I had the same experience, only it was my breasts reaching my pregnant stomach.

:(

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

skeetied posted:

Nipple shields should not be used without the advice and support of a lactation professional. Their use diminishes the amount of sensation that the breast receives from the infant and this can severely impact milk supply so you should work with a lactation professional to make sure you're pumping to help keep your supply up.

I don't think you need any supplies but I would make sure you know about any breastfeeding groups in your area as well as the contact info for some lactation consultants so you can get help if/when you need it.

Sockmuppet is in Norway so there's no need for lactation consultants. E: there's no such thing, really is what I mean. The midwives are all trained to help with breastfeeding, and you can ask for help 24/7 at the hospital. Sockmuppet, I had some problems with breastfeeding my oldest and we got an appointment at the ammepoliklinikk when he was a week old. It helped a lot. Just something to keep in mind if you have trouble. Ammehjelpen is good too.

E2: I read bryst er best by Gro Nylander and found it helpful.

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 1, 2013

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Thank you so much! The only people I know with babies breezed through breastfeeding, so it's great to learn about what resources are available if we hit a snag.
I'll look for that book.
Edit: It's a movie! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6gkN7Si2lE Boobs AND Grieg!

Ben Davis posted:

I had the same experience, only it was my breasts reaching my pregnant stomach.

:(

Oh man, this :(:hf::(

Sockmuppet fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.
I'll be 18 weeks tomorrow, and today was my gender ultrasound! It's odd because I was super pumped but also very nervous. I am having twins and for some reason I got really set on having a boy-girl pair. This morning I woke up about 4 hours early from excitement and could not fall back asleep. I swear it was like I was preparing to go to Disney or something.

When we finally got to the hospital I started thinking about the very real possibility of not having boy-girl and actually started to freak out a little. Two boys was choice #2 but two girls would have put us in the tough spot of deciding if we wanted to keep on going for a son. They got to poking and we very obviously saw that Baby A is a boy so that was a huge sigh of relief. Then with all the measuring and whatnot it took FOREVER to get to Baby B, and then there was so much squirming going on it was super hard to get a look at what we needed. I did a secret dance party in my head when she was finally able to corner the little critter and we saw no manparts! So in the end I was freaking out for nothing and I got the pair I was hoping for!