Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

Atten: Canadian goons

For the rest of this weekend, these guys in Calgary and I think Edmonton are having a spring sale. 25% off all kits - you're welcome.

I bought a 1/72 Drakken and a 1/72 He 219 'Owl'

God drat, this shipping is dirt cheap. I am going to spend so much money.

Pierzak posted:

That one was so obvious we ignored it :cheeky:

Also, let me say that your avatar/title is awesome. :allears:

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'm looking at Sprue Brothers for detail kits for a 1/48 Hasegawa F6F-3 Hellcat. The model number of the kit is 9134, but all of their detail kits are for different model numbers. As long as the scale is correct, does it really make any difference if it was designed for kit XXX and I use it for kit YYY?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ensign Expendable posted:

It's so you can get out of mud if your tank gets stuck.
I believe the technical term is "field-issued unditching tool".

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm looking at Sprue Brothers for detail kits for a 1/48 Hasegawa F6F-3 Hellcat. The model number of the kit is 9134, but all of their detail kits are for different model numbers. As long as the scale is correct, does it really make any difference if it was designed for kit XXX and I use it for kit YYY?

I think you should be alright. I'm assuming the kits are the same moulds with some special details that vary. Unless there's some really specific detail in the kit you want, I'd do it.

This is a useful cross-post from the aviation thread. (Also let me know if now and then you think "that's not the right shade of green!")

Mike-o posted:

At the Museum of Flight in Seattle there's a giant collection of scale models that some old timer put together all by himself. Seeing all those planes makes me realize just how many different models of planes were built that not many people know about, especially German planes of which there aren't any surviving examples anymore.

http://www.museumofflight.org/holtgrewe

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Either in this thread or the Aeronautical insanity one I was complaining about shipping to Canada making buying models online basically a non-starter.

Someone recomemended SprueBrothers

Maybe not.
(Yes I like to build inexpensive models)

edit: it wasn't this thread...

edit2: Dragonusaonline.com might have gotten better. I got quoted $6.00 to ship one item just now.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 1, 2013

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Jonny Nox posted:

Either in this thread or the Aeronautical insanity one I was complaining about shipping to Canada making buying models online basically a non-starter.

Someone recomemended SprueBrothers

Maybe not.
(Yes I like to build inexensive models)

These guys have absurdly cheap shipping.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, they're across the street from my office. I'm in their store once a week at the least.
They don't carry Dragon's older 1/144 stuff. Or any of Eduard's, or Platz's. And the Trumpeter 1/144 stuff disappears from stock really quickly. I buy all my paint, Airfix, Revell and Tamiya models from them though.

Also, give them your business. Only because it benefits me, though.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Maybe you guys can help me out. I've been looking for some wheels/tires for a project I'm working on and found some I like from https://www.hobbyeasy.com. Has anyone had any experience with them at all? The shipping is pretty drat reasonable, but I'd like to get my stuff before the next ice age.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I was going to offer to be a guinea pig, but their website is pretty horrible, and won't change prices to CAD or USD even though the dropdown is right there. It makes me MAAAADD!!! :argh:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Jonny Nox posted:

I was going to offer to be a guinea pig, but their website is pretty horrible, and won't change prices to CAD or USD even though the dropdown is right there. It makes me MAAAADD!!! :argh:

That's pretty strange. I've got 2 tabs open with products listed in USD, but now the dropdown isn't working. And yeah, the website isn't the best, but I've found that to be the case with most Asian hobby sites.

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
SON OF A BITCH. SON OF A BITCH! I HAVE HAD THIS GODDAMN MODEL FOR 4 MONTHS. THIS SON OF A BITCHING ROTOR ASSEMBLY GODDAMN CRACKS, AND NOW I HAVE TO KLUDGE TOGETHER SOME BULLSHIT THAT'S GOING TO LOOK LIKE rear end.

Whew, I feel better. So, this has been my first model, and I've learned quite a bit the hard way. What's the best way to approach painting?? I've been painting the pieces, dry fitting them, and then gluing. In the process, I've ruined a bottle of plastic cement, and created a model with gaps. How do you guys do it?? I know one thing is for goddamn sure; I'm going to get an airbrush kit for the next one. My painting looks like poo poo. It sucks because I'm getting into the hobby way late in life, and this thing says it's for 12 year olds. I really REALLY like it, it's just that this loving rotor has turned into a catastrofuck. Oh, and I ruined two bottles of paint because my dumbass put the caps on the wrong bottles. Glorious. It'll go great with the blood stains on the cutting mat from where I tried to FIX the rotor assembly.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I paint after I glue. Every time I tried it the other way, the result looked like poo poo, paint smeared everywhere, and I still had to touch it up after. Also it's a hell of a lot more convenient to sand a large object than a small object.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I build, then paint, as you often need to do sanding and filling cracks with filler before painting. Also, the liquid glue needs clean plastic to work well.

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine

Nebakenezzer posted:

I build, then paint, as you often need to do sanding and filling cracks with filler before painting. Also, the liquid glue needs clean plastic to work well.

Can you recommend a filler?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bruiser posted:

This stuff does pretty well for me, you can probably get it where you got the model. I believe art stores like Michael's will have it:
http://www.amazon.com/Testor-Corp-P...tors+gray+putty

EDITED to remove stupid followup question that was already answered.

EDITED again to add in the link to putty I removed because I am not paying attention.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 4, 2013

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Bruiser posted:

I like Tamiya's tube of grey stuff.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Vallejo's plastic putty is nice for a low chemical solution. Water soluble, so you fill thin cracks, then just wipe off the excess. You need to do it a couple of times though, so Tamiya is faster. Tamiya for big gaps, sink areas, etc. (I use the white stuff, I don't think it matters)

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

I looked at two 1/700 naval kits (price about $30) and the estimated shipping to Kentucky was $42.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

space pope posted:

I looked at two 1/700 naval kits (price about $30) and the estimated shipping to Kentucky was $42.

Oh, I meant to Canada. Canada Post gouges you horribly when you ship to the US from here.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Oh, I meant to Canada. Canada Post gouges you horribly when you ship to the US from here.

Ah, I missed that. It was actually through UPS I guess and the only other shipping option was $221. Is there a place in the US with cheap shipping?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

How much are you willing to spend?

http://dragonusaonline.com free shipping for orders over $99, loyalty program. Carries Dragon, Fujimi, Italeri, platz, zvesda, others. I've used. Their customer support is pretty good. e: shipping to Canada is not bad, be aware they ship all their Canadian orders to a distribution ctr in Vancouver to solve duty and customs problems. This means it takes a while for your stuff to arive.

http://www.scalehobbyist.com/ Awesome website, great selection, shipping less than $10 per order. I use their website to see what is out there, but have never ordered because :canada:

http://nostalgicplastic.com Sells mostly anigrand and miniwings resin planes. Cheap/free shipping to north america. Will use someday, I hope.

I will add more if I think of any.

edit:
wait you said ships.

http://www.freetimehobbies.com/ship-model-kits/ The guys who were bought out to sell these used to have awesome selection and not bad shipping, but I havn't even looked at the site lateley.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 5, 2013

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

http://www.spruebrothers.com/ is also worth a look.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Speaking of 1/700 ships, I finished building my first not-warhammer or other such game-related model today, a Tamiya 1/700 Z-Class.

I lost a few pieces and skipped a couple steps, but hey, the kit comes with two.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Jonny Nox posted:

http://www.scalehobbyist.com/ Awesome website, great selection, shipping less than $10 per order. I use their website to see what is out there, but have never ordered because :canada:

Wow, thanks for that link! I had been looking at spruebrothers and thewarstore for "stuff" and getting models from Amazon, but that website is very well organized and with good prices. I'll be going to them first from now on. I am kind of wondering if I am missing aftermarket cockpits for aircraft on that site. The only one I saw was for an F6F-5 Hellcat. That is convenient because I just finished building the cockpit of a Hasegawa F6F-3 and wasn't happy with it. I'm more concerned with having a nice looking model than historical accuracy (which is also why I am not painting every surface in the interior zinc chromate/interior green :barf:), so sticking a -5 cockpit in a -3 model is just fine with me. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I'd expect to see aftermarket cockpits for most every common plane, but the only other ones I saw were for bombers. Am I just using the wrong filters, or do they really not have full cockpits for popular stuff like F-15s and P-51s?

Edit: Nevermind, I was able to find them by searching for the type of plane and then narrowing it down.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 6, 2013

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Dagon posted:

Speaking of 1/700 ships, I finished building my first not-warhammer or other such game-related model today, a Tamiya 1/700 Z-Class.

I lost a few pieces and skipped a couple steps, but hey, the kit comes with two.

Very nice I actually just built a 1/700 z-class myself a few weeks ago. It was my first kit in a long time so it turned out pretty poorly.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Don't forget Lucky Model. Based out of Hong Kong, but their prices are so crazy cheap it's worth it.

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
Man, I've learned so much from this first model. Like, it's taunting me and daring me to finish.

It's either that, or I'm sort of high from the glue. Remember, always model in a well ventilated space.

I'm almost finished with it, but I'm a little embarrassed to show it off because it looks like butt.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bruiser posted:

Man, I've learned so much from this first model. Like, it's taunting me and daring me to finish.

It's either that, or I'm sort of high from the glue. Remember, always model in a well ventilated space.

I'm almost finished with it, but I'm a little embarrassed to show it off because it looks like butt.

The first one always does, don't sweat it. You've learned a lot, haven't you?

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine

Midjack posted:

The first one always does, don't sweat it. You've learned a lot, haven't you?

Yeeeuuup.

Like, don't loving paint until it's glued.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I'm going to start posting WIPs to try to get discussion going. Also so you can all laugh at my terrible skills. Also so you can all groan at my ADD. Hopefully I'll even inspire others to do the same.

Who knows maybe I'll even finish one.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I'll post some WIPs of train stuff as well.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
God-drat it! I do a lot of statues and busts, garage-kit stuff, and the amount of man-children in that sector of the hobby is staggering. It's one thing when someone's producing a "sexy girl" kit, and another upon revealing it and people start coming out of the woodwork to post drooling smiley-face emoticons and talk at length about how they'd love to get their hands on her tits. These aren't teen, XBox raging douchebags either; many, if not most, are 40+ year old guys.

Sometimes it seriously makes me want to quit the drat hobby. Garage Kits are such a small niche in model-making to begin with, that if you cut out dealing with leacherous old men with hardons for resin women, then you're eliminating 75% of the people producing kits. God-drat, this loving hobby sometimes.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

God-drat it! I do a lot of statues and busts, garage-kit stuff, and the amount of man-children in that sector of the hobby is staggering. It's one thing when someone's producing a "sexy girl" kit, and another upon revealing it and people start coming out of the woodwork to post drooling smiley-face emoticons and talk at length about how they'd love to get their hands on her tits. These aren't teen, XBox raging douchebags either; many, if not most, are 40+ year old guys.

Sometimes it seriously makes me want to quit the drat hobby. Garage Kits are such a small niche in model-making to begin with, that if you cut out dealing with leacherous old men with hardons for resin women, then you're eliminating 75% of the people producing kits. God-drat, this loving hobby sometimes.

Incidentally, if you frequent Modelingmadness.com, never ever ever drift into their figures gallery in the reviews section. You won't be able to read articles by a certain administrator/"editor" again.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

God-drat, this loving hobby sometimes.

Don't forget the Nazi fetishists. A couple of years ago, a major show handed out trophies that were literally Nazi eagles with the swastika removed. The show was (and is) put on by a major mail order company who's logo is an eagle in the form associated with the WWII Luftwaffe.

You can probably figure out who I mean.

I think this phenomenon is why we have basically accurate, complete lines of Bf-109s and Fw-190s in 1/48 from several manufacturers but just, just got an accurate Spit IX. I get the feeling it's worse in the armor world.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Yup. Every company makes something like 3 different Tigers, but god forbid anyone except Zvezda and, occasionally, Tamiya, makes something interesting for the Soviets.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Trumpeter are making a few interesting Soviet kits, but they make bizzare poo poo like Chinese knock-offs of Soviet tanks and Dragon do a pile of odd Japanese tankettes and the like, so presumably they've done decent Soviets too given how drat obscore those things are.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Yup. Every company makes something like 3 different Tigers, but god forbid anyone except Zvezda and, occasionally, Tamiya, makes something interesting for the Soviets.

That's more of a famous tank thing than a yay Nazis thing at least.

Speaking of which, does anyone put swastikas on their models? I've never seen a factory kit ship with decals for them included but I've seen decal sheets of just swastikas. I leave them off on anything I build since I display my models and don't really want symbols associated with racism and fascism around my house, thank you very much.

edit: my posting WIP shots is postponed until I figure out where my camera went.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny Nox posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone put swastikas on their models? I've never seen a factory kit ship with decals for them included but I've seen decal sheets of just swastikas. I leave them off on anything I build since I display my models and don't really want symbols associated with racism and fascism around my house, thank you very much.
That approach in the modeling/game companies actually bugs me quite a lot. Yes, 3rd Reich was horrible, Hitler was horrible, millions of people died in death camps, we know it already. If I make a tiny German plane with the proper historical markings on it doesn't make me a Nazi. But no, let's bend over to political correctness because German laws someone somewhere might get offended by a tiny Hakenkreuz. Yeah, if I saw a whole army in swastikas, I'd be more than a bit :what: It was mainly the iron cross, and somehow no one gets offended that that still is on German tanks in some form. But hey, let's just pretend the details never existed, like a certain mini manufacturer (forgot which one) with a German halftrack covered with a half-folded Nazi flag so the swastika isn't visible and they can sell in Germany. If you don't want to offend people, why put a huge "IMANAZI" cover on that vehicle at all? :psyduck: Talk about red cloth-waving :v:

And the swastika-only sheets might be to supplement the sets that remove them to be PC.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Airfix and I believe Italeri both include swastikas.

It's worse with diecast models and tobacco liveries though.
Most, like Spark, include decals to add once you buy it, because most countries can't display them, but Minichamps, who produce more than just about everyone else, don't include any. The worst was one of the Camel Lotus cars. The thing was just loving yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What's with the liveries? Anti-tobacco-ad laws or something?