Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

YA! - WAH! - WOOHOO!

I'll admit I didn't find them annoying until maybe the 8th time I played through it, but I can't believe those became staple 3D Mario sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Harlock posted:

Mama Mia! Say it isn't so.

Mario 64 isn't that bad

I would play the poo poo out of a Mario 64 romhack that killed Mario's voice, but ughhh I just can't stand it now. It just sounds so dumb and distracting to me.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
I think it's just one of those things that went well with the newer games, but doesn't mesh well at all with 16bit style games. It would be like adding voice acting to the SNES rpgs.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

univbee posted:

If I had to venture a guess based on other games, either it's a basic hack for the Wii's emulator compatibility (something inoffensive like changing the palette; the Mario Adventure ROMhack does this for Powerpak/Everdrive compatibility and RGB compatibility) or they did something in the "original" game that they had to change to remain Wii-approved (e.g. SNES F-Zero crashing into the wall is less flashy on Wii VC due to recent epilepsy concerns that didn't exist in the SNES days).

I never knew that they made changes to old games for WiiWare. Are there any others that have any significant changes?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

StellarX posted:

I think it's just one of those things that went well with the newer games, but doesn't mesh well at all with 16bit style games. It would be like adding voice acting to the SNES rpgs.

Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia would beg to differ.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Similar to the F-Zero change, in DKC2, turning around in Glimmer's Galleon no longer flashes the screen white.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Lowen SoDium posted:

I never knew that they made changes to old games for WiiWare. Are there any others that have any significant changes?
Wave Race 64 on the Virtual Console had all the jetski models changed and the billboards replaced because the Kawasaki license had run out.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Wave Race 64 on the Virtual Console had all the jetski models changed and the billboards replaced because the Kawasaki license had run out.

What about the Pizza Hut signs from Turtles 2?

These:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

flyboi posted:

Provided the RGB cable I purchased for my Saturn works as advertised, I'll have a s-video cable to unload in a week.

Cool, I would be very appreciative.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Tyson Tomko posted:

What about the Pizza Hut signs from Turtles 2?

These:

I don't think TMNT2 ever came out on VC, they only had the first one and that one got pulled due to licensing issues last year.

fake edit: Wikipedia says TMNT2 was "slated for release and quietly canceled."

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

^^ Turtles 2 was never on the Virtual Console. The first one was but is now delisted and never had Pizza Hut references (only generic Pizza).

Lowen SoDium posted:

Some games had debug codes removed (e.g. The JUSTIN BAILEY password no longer works in Metroid, nor does a similar one in Kid Icarus I think), I think a few games had updated copyright info (like I think Castlevania 1 flat-out says "Copyright 2012" or something like that), but by and large that's as far as their changes have gone. Known fixable bugs in quite a few games are still there.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

A bunch of games have changes, but they're never enormously notable. Usually they involve recolouring or removing red crosses to avoid pissing off the Red Cross, replacing old licensed ads (Wave Race etc.) with generic or modern ones, reducing the risk of epilepsy as mentioned, and fixing whatever old bugs particularly annoyed Random Nintendo/M2 Programmer #467 that day. For example, the Virtual Console version of Phantasy Star 4 has a fix to a bug where characters start losing skills and stats start degrading once they hit Level 99.

The only real break from this would be Donkey Kong: Original Edition, which was basically an official ROM hack!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Not really the same thing, but I was mildly disappointed when the Coke products present in the Japanese version of Shenmue...

Were changed to a fictitious brand for the International release...

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

In the VC version of StarTropics your yo-yo (the first weapon you get) becomes a "star" because apparently "yo-yo" is a trademark in some non-US countries.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

So I was looking into a Gamecube + GBA Player, but I found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plug-your-G...=item2a28292d5d

Has anyone used one before? How well does it work? That seems like a pretty sweet deal to add TV out to a GBA.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
They told me the AV Famicom didn't come with controllers. Well at least I didn't buy any others yet :v:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Did you buy 3 Star Ocean carts?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

That SFC has been soaking in a nice urine brine for the last 20 years.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

zenintrude posted:

That SFC has been soaking in a nice urine brine for the last 20 years.

It's the yellowest console I own, now. I think this is pushing me over the edge, gonna mix up some retrobright brb

Harlock posted:

Did you buy 3 Star Ocean carts?

Yes.

Also I forgot to include the SFC mouse, AKB48 cola flavored gummies, and stack of random idol cards in the photo

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 2, 2013

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

ACID POLICE posted:

They told me the AV Famicom didn't come with controllers. Well at least I didn't buy any others yet :v:

Please tell me you ordered Fighting Golf based entirely on the cartridge and name. I have it sitting in my shopping cart for my next order for the exact same reason.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Why only 3?

Also, Fighting Golf legit owns. I have the USA version CIB on my shelf, it's my prized possession retro-wise. :v:

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
Does the Everdrive-n8 require the disk system hardware to play FDS games? Debating on getting one but may hold off if it's not necessary.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

StellarX posted:

Does the Everdrive-n8 require the disk system hardware to play FDS games? Debating on getting one but may hold off if it's not necessary.

I doubt it. The Powerpak doesn't need an FDS to play FDS games, at least, and I can't imagine the Everdrive would be any different.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

StellarX posted:

No it doesn't; it and the Powerpak, however, require an internal NES mod to passthrough the extended sound used by some FDS games on a U.S. system (Japanese systems are fine for the N8, Powerpak requires a simple wire mod on your pin converter).

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Yeah! I clicked it because of name, and then saw the picture and knew I needed it. Then we saw it's a SNK game, and the selling points on the box were that it had 2 player support and character taunts (chouhatsu I think). It also said it had American and Japanese style golf courses wow! I fired it up really quick, didn't play for more than a minute (gonna check it out more later) but all the menus are in English whereas the in-game text when you're actually golfing is in Japanese :psyduck:

I thought about making it my Everdrive cart but it's kinda too cool. I bought a Famicom Jump cartridge to put the N8 in and it looks a lot better than the tragedy that was the previous makeshift case. Plus you can still take the microSD out!

Anyone PM me if you want a Famicom Jump PCB!

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
I know there was some EZFlashIV chatter a while back. I emailed RHS and received the following:

"It has been discontinued by the manufacturer. Though we continue to look for stock, we are not optimistic that we will find any soon."

I have an EZFlashIV-Micro that was intended as a DSLite slot 2 card only that works awkwardly in my GBA SP (removed the front of the cartridge). I wonder if I can modify some crap GBA game case to work with the card. Unfortunately, it's got chips on both sides of the board which is going to mean a lot of fine dremel work.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

shymog posted:

I know there was some EZFlashIV chatter a while back. I emailed RHS and received the following:

"It has been discontinued by the manufacturer. Though we continue to look for stock, we are not optimistic that we will find any soon."

I have an EZFlashIV-Micro that was intended as a DSLite slot 2 card only that works awkwardly in my GBA SP (removed the front of the cartridge). I wonder if I can modify some crap GBA game case to work with the card. Unfortunately, it's got chips on both sides of the board which is going to mean a lot of fine dremel work.

I recall somebody did, maybe someone on GBATemp? Apparently it needed some significant modding of the cartridge itself to allow the PCB to fit.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ACID POLICE posted:

It's the yellowest console I own, now. I think this is pushing me over the edge, gonna mix up some retrobright brb

I think mine is just as yellow. I decided to just live with it.

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

ANGRY WASHING duh-duh duh-duh duh-DUH!

Akileese posted:

The reason for the price disparity basically comes down to the functionality. Sure you pay less for the Jappanese version, but hey, now you need the Japanese Pokemon gameboy games just to make the functionality work. The whole point is to upload your team and if you can't do that, I mean, the games are fun and all, but they lose a lot of their value.

So you get the Japanese games :colbert:.

It's seriously doable as an illiterate with small groups of Pokémon. I make my life easier by only purchasing balls, potions and antidotes :downs: that things with no number is the map and lord knows which one is the escape rope. It's been a long time but I don't remember Mt. Moon's residents being so hard. I'm raising an animate rock to cope with with horrible slaughter-rat Team Rocket has. Hyper fang's no goddamned joke.

Sorry about not testing the Stadium theory yet. I was trying to get a PS Art Truck Battle game working but it's either perma-dead or needs professional resurfacing. It cost one cent less shipping but I wanted to decorate trucks, dammit :(. At least none of the games purchased with it were bad... Aquanaut's Holiday 2 is awesome. You can really see the evolution between the original and the PS3 game. I just wish it'd give an indication of which fish have already been cataloged. Schools of tiny grey things tend to look the same on the original Playstation. I'd have taken some pictures but I hosed up something while setting up the capture cables. Whoops.

Edit: No go. I know the Transfer Pak works fine (Super GB Pocket Monster Red action :toot:) but Stadium GS refused to acknowledge Pokémon Red. Console/handheld regional barriers apparently apply to both the GB and GBA era games. The DS/Wii era probably has the same limitations. Curse you, Nintendo, and your war on thriftiness :argh:! I'm still being a weasel and getting some imported GBA games to trade US critters to and make use of Pokémon Box that way.

SassyRobot fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 2, 2013

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

SassyRobot posted:

So you get the Japanese games :colbert:.

It's seriously doable as an illiterate with small groups of Pokémon. I make my life easier by only purchasing balls, potions and antidotes :downs: that things with no number is the map and lord knows which one is the escape rope. It's been a long time but I don't remember Mt. Moon's residents being so hard. I'm raising an animate rock to cope with with horrible slaughter-rat Team Rocket has. Hyper fang's no goddamned joke.

Sorry about not testing the Stadium theory yet. I was trying to get a PS Art Truck Battle game working but it's either perma-dead or needs professional resurfacing. It cost one cent less shipping but I wanted to decorate trucks, dammit :(. At least none of the games purchased with it were bad... Aquanaut's Holiday 2 is awesome. You can really see the evolution between the original and the PS3 game. I just wish it'd give an indication of which fish have already been cataloged. Schools of tiny grey things tend to look the same on the original Playstation. I'd have taken some pictures but I hosed up something while setting up the capture cables. Whoops.

Don't worry about it. Someone tested it and found they're totally incompatible with each other. The ultimate region lock!

I picked this up for $10 today. The cart is absolutely pristine, no scratches, no scuffs, nothing. It still saves too! I got (what was advertised as..sooooo fingers crossed!)an AGS-101 SP that should be here by Friday or Monday. I'm trying to play it on my GBA but the lack of lighting is driving me batshit insane.

I got a gameshark from my retro shop that didn't work so I brought it back (I didn't want to mutilate my mario party 3 that I paid $10 for so I figured a gameshark was easier than using a drill to remove the tabs). I asked them to test the other two and neither one worked so they issued me a refund and he offered to use his dremmel on it for me. I took him home, opened it up and cleaned out and it refused to work. I took it apart again and did a significantly more thorough job but still nothing. Eventually it just started working after about 6 or 7 tries. First I tried pressing on the cart while turning it on which got me a black screen, but removing my hand would reset it. Then I got the logo and then finally I was able to successful just put the cart in and have it boot up.

It was in pretty rough shape honestly but I'm just glad it worked. I picked up an absolutely pristine Mario Kart 64 for $22 that had zero scuffs, scratches, or discoloration. I'm honestly wondering how someone kept that cart so perfect without a box.

e: I know it doesn't SEEM hard, but when I come across stuff that isn't mutilated and destroyed it just shocks me to no end haha.

Akileese fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 2, 2013

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Akileese posted:

Don't worry about it. Someone tested it and found they're totally incompatible with each other. The ultimate region lock!

I picked this up for $10 today. The cart is absolutely pristine, no scratches, no scuffs, nothing. It still saves too! I got (what was advertised as..sooooo fingers crossed!)an AGS-101 SP that should be here by Friday or Monday. I'm trying to play it on my GBA but the lack of lighting is driving me batshit insane.

I got a gameshark from my retro shop that didn't work so I brought it back (I didn't want to mutilate my mario party 3 that I paid $10 for so I figured a gameshark was easier than using a drill to remove the tabs). I asked them to test the other two and neither one worked so they issued me a refund and he offered to use his dremmel on it for me. I took him home, opened it up and cleaned out and it refused to work. I took it apart again and did a significantly more thorough job but still nothing. Eventually it just started working after about 6 or 7 tries. First I tried pressing on the cart while turning it on which got me a black screen, but removing my hand would reset it. Then I got the logo and then finally I was able to successful just put the cart in and have it boot up.

It was in pretty rough shape honestly but I'm just glad it worked. I picked up an absolutely pristine Mario Kart 64 for $22 that had zero scuffs, scratches, or discoloration. I'm honestly wondering how someone kept that cart so perfect without a box.

It was owned by an adult or by kids who weren't little shits. It's not hard.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Is there a good site to get US retro games that isn't ebay? Basically something like Rakuten for America. I guess Amazon but I'm wondering if there's a better alternative.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I recall somebody did, maybe someone on GBATemp? Apparently it needed some significant modding of the cartridge itself to allow the PCB to fit.

Yeah, I'm assuming there has to be some serious thinning of the back wall to fit those chips back there. When I have a day where I can send my kid over by grandma, I might kill off my FIFA 2006 and attempt this.

Until then, this is what it looks like:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

ACID POLICE posted:

Yeah! I clicked it because of name, and then saw the picture and knew I needed it. Then we saw it's a SNK game, and the selling points on the box were that it had 2 player support and character taunts (chouhatsu I think). It also said it had American and Japanese style golf courses wow! I fired it up really quick, didn't play for more than a minute (gonna check it out more later) but all the menus are in English whereas the in-game text when you're actually golfing is in Japanese :psyduck:

I thought about making it my Everdrive cart but it's kinda too cool. I bought a Famicom Jump cartridge to put the N8 in and it looks a lot better than the tragedy that was the previous makeshift case. Plus you can still take the microSD out!

Anyone PM me if you want a Famicom Jump PCB!

I was going to cannibalize a spare cart too for mine, but I didn't really see how it was going to fit inside properly without removing some of the posts inside. So I made a couple prototypes on my 3D printer.

the white on the red is from not completely cleaning the extruder between changing colors, but since its a work in progress still it doesn't matter. I'm going to make a change to the SD card slot so its easier to take the card out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

univbee posted:

Some games had debug codes removed (e.g. The JUSTIN BAILEY password no longer works in Metroid, nor does a similar one in Kid Icarus I think), I think a few games had updated copyright info (like I think Castlevania 1 flat-out says "Copyright 2012" or something like that), but by and large that's as far as their changes have gone. Known fixable bugs in quite a few games are still there.

Phantasy Stars II, III and IV all got changes to reduce the seizure effects, change the hospital signs (Red Cross) and in IV's case, fix that horrible math bug that made people start dropping stats once they hit level 99. Aaaand for some reason they did all of these things as on the fly ASM patches, instead of patching the ROM itself. Why? Who knows! Nintendo!

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Blackchamber posted:

I was going to cannibalize a spare cart too for mine, but I didn't really see how it was going to fit inside properly without removing some of the posts inside. So I made a couple prototypes on my 3D printer.

the white on the red is from not completely cleaning the extruder between changing colors, but since its a work in progress still it doesn't matter. I'm going to make a change to the SD card slot so its easier to take the card out.

It'll be a good idea to have a space for the SD card already made. Luckily the plastic where the halves of the Famicom Jump cartridge go together was stepped, so I made easy and clean work with some pliers. I only had to tear off two posts and a little bit of the plastic sticking towards the middle on the side clips.

The only thing is that it isn't the most perfect fit, I kind of had to rotate the cartridge to its proper orientation and then keep it there while I closed up the cartridge. Works well though. I took it out and put it back in my AV Fami a bunch of times so I guess it's working okay!

The AV Fami has a weird cartridge door.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Oh god xrgb mini get here asap :saddowns:

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

DeathBySpoon posted:

Is there a good site to get US retro games that isn't ebay? Basically something like Rakuten for America. I guess Amazon but I'm wondering if there's a better alternative.

eBay auctions are probably your best bet, followed by Amazon and eBay BINs.

e: to elaborate on this there's no 'cheap' alternative to buying things like this -- if there were, people would be all over it and it'd quickly become the same as far as pricing goes.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Speaking of GBA/Pokemon...

In the past few weeks, my collection of GBA titles has swelled from this:

to this:

I also apparently had two copies of Nightmare in Dreamland with the box :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Tusen Takk posted:

Speaking of GBA/Pokemon...

In the past few weeks, my collection of GBA titles has swelled from this:

to this:

I also apparently had two copies of Nightmare in Dreamland with the box :toot:

Portable collecting is fun and should be encouraged...

If someone wants to trade me something for my extra Oracle of Seasons or Chu Chu Rocket, let me know.

• Locked thread