Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

I remember this video and the debate if the truck got hit or the tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008
Some OG SEAL dude:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Brown Moses posted:

Another example of the importance of infantry support for tanks from Syria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoFRXks2X68&t=120s

What does he throw there? Does he get a grenade into an open hatch or is it an RKG or some other anti-tank grenade?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Phanatic posted:

What does he throw there? Does he get a grenade into an open hatch or is it an RKG or some other anti-tank grenade?

It looks like he threw something down the barrel of the gun.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Brown Moses posted:

Another example of the importance of infantry support for tanks from Syria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoFRXks2X68&t=120s

Better if you start it a little earlier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoFRXks2X68&t=76s

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Still wondering what it is he threw. Didn't look like as explosion so much as an incendiary of some sort. Tanks burn pretty good apparently.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I'm guessing it was a grenade, you can kind of see him pull the pin and count. What's burning is the propellant in the magazine.

E:

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I'm :lol:ing that he just walked up and tossed whatever that was down the gun tube. That's some Looney Tunes poo poo right there.

Twice. First time it got shot out of the barrel when the main gun just happened to fire.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 2, 2013

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

I can't believe how loving hard I laughed at the attackers "hand and arm signal" when he runs back to his buddies.

I'm :lol:ing that he just walked up and tossed whatever that was down the gun tube. That's some Looney Tunes poo poo right there.

vains
May 26, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

Still wondering what it is he threw. Didn't look like as explosion so much as an incendiary of some sort. Tanks burn pretty good apparently.

Well they're full of propellant and HE so what did you expect.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I don't know a lot about non-floating warfare so I have to ask - do these tanks not have machine guns? Is it really that easy to just run through a field up to a tank and lob enough explosive in it to destroy everything inside?

vains
May 26, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

I don't know a lot about non-floating warfare so I have to ask - do these tanks not have machine guns? Is it really that easy to just run through a field up to a tank and lob enough explosive in it to destroy everything inside?

Tanks have a very constrained field of view if the commander is forced to sit down in the turret. Normally, the commander wants to be standing up so he can see 360 and direct the fire of the gunner and the movement of the vehicle. When the commander is forced to button up, the commander can only see out of periscopes and these periscopes leave large blindspots. The commander generally has a machine gun on a flexible mount for close in defense. On the Abrams, the loader also has a machine gun for close in defense. T-55/T-72s dont have a loader so there is no loader pintle mount. In this case, the rebels appear to have forced the commander to button up so they could move infantry close in and destroy the tank.

Additionally, the coax machine gun is limited to the elevation/traverse limitations of the main gun. The guy that blew up that tank looks like he came from beneath the depression limits of the main gun. The telescopic sight of armored vehicles is also limited to the traverse/elevation limits of the main gun. Some tanks have a 'unity viewing window'(I assume all tanks do) which is like a periscope for the gunner. It gives him a wide field of view to the front of the turret. The 'unity viewing window' is still linked to the main gun and the telescopic sights and suffers the same elevation/depression limitations.

vains fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 2, 2013

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Veins McGee posted:

Additionally, the coax machine gun is limited to the elevation/traverse limitations of the main gun. The guy that blew up that tank looks like he came from beneath the depression limits of the main gun.

I wonder what a defensive "blind shot" would do if you saw that guy and shot a round in his direction.

I know tanks are loud as gently caress, I could only imagine that the effect from the front would be described as "debilitating".

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

What he said. You can't see poo poo when you're buttoned up, and you're definitely not going to see a guy sneaking up below the limits of the sights. Drive might catch it if it's at a certain angle and he's not asleep.

Wasabi the J posted:

I wonder what a defensive "blind shot" would do if you saw that guy and shot a round in his direction.

I know tanks are loud as gently caress, I could only imagine that the effect from the front would be described as "debilitating".

Dead or severely hosed up from burning propellant and overpressure. You really, really don't want to be that close to the gun tube when it fires. T-72 firing for example:

Guy would be toast.

EBB fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 2, 2013

vains
May 26, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Probably gently caress him up pretty good between the volume and pressure from the shot but then what? Firing a main gun round to possibly incapacitate one dude who might be there(or he might be under your gun or off to the side) isn't a good use of limited resources. A better tactic would be to increase your standoff or don't commit tanks without infantry(like has been noted above).

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
What I don't get with all these tank kill vids is why the tanks are sitting still, without even traversing the turret, for more than enough time for these guys to set up both a killing attack and a camera vantage point to film it

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If I had to guess, they've never had any real combined arms training so they think that a TCP/mounted patrol is literally drive and park.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Military Brony

Granted this is at an anime convention, so it could just be tacticlol cosplay. Of course, it also seems like a pretty junior enlisted thing to do to wear your uniform to an anime convention.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Military Brony

Granted this is at an anime convention, so it could just be tacticlol cosplay. Of course, it also seems like a pretty junior enlisted thing to do to wear your uniform to an anime convention.

No tape on the chinstrap, probably tactilol.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Veins McGee posted:

Tanks have a very constrained field of view if the commander is forced to sit down in the turret. Normally, the commander wants to be standing up so he can see 360 and direct the fire of the gunner and the movement of the vehicle. When the commander is forced to button up, the commander can only see out of periscopes and these periscopes leave large blindspots. The commander generally has a machine gun on a flexible mount for close in defense. On the Abrams, the loader also has a machine gun for close in defense. T-55/T-72s dont have a loader so there is no loader pintle mount. In this case, the rebels appear to have forced the commander to button up so they could move infantry close in and destroy the tank.

Additionally, the coax machine gun is limited to the elevation/traverse limitations of the main gun. The guy that blew up that tank looks like he came from beneath the depression limits of the main gun. The telescopic sight of armored vehicles is also limited to the traverse/elevation limits of the main gun. Some tanks have a 'unity viewing window'(I assume all tanks do) which is like a periscope for the gunner. It gives him a wide field of view to the front of the turret. The 'unity viewing window' is still linked to the main gun and the telescopic sights and suffers the same elevation/depression limitations.

Does the commander not have an independent sighting system? i only know of Challenger 2 but it seems incredibly easy for him to get up and close to it and for that group of people to be close and filming as well. I'm assuming whatever he used either set off the charge in the breach or the breach was actually open when he threw it in.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Road rage incident between Marines, possibly on-base:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=73b_1364917659

The aggressor is arrested at the very end of the clip. Climax at 1:40.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm guessing it was a grenade, you can kind of see him pull the pin and count. What's burning is the propellant in the magazine.

E:

Twice. First time it got shot out of the barrel when the main gun just happened to fire.

You're saying he threw a grenade down the barrel? That's quite a shot.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
He walked right up to it. Did you not watch the video?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Solid Snake could throw it down the barrel. :colbert:

vains
May 26, 2004

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Does the commander not have an independent sighting system? i only know of Challenger 2 but it seems incredibly easy for him to get up and close to it and for that group of people to be close and filming as well. I'm assuming whatever he used either set off the charge in the breach or the breach was actually open when he threw it in.

They do. For the main weapon system/coax, their sights have the same limitations that the gunner's sights do. Abrams TCs can control their 50 from inside the turret, as far as I know. However, the primary limitation remains: Their situational awareness(i.e., what they can see around them) is degraded because they're either looking out a pinhole(telescopic sights) or they're looking out the periscopes.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
Wasn't that why the soviets trialled all those claymore-type things strapped to tanks during the invasion in the 80s? From what I've heard they were set off if you suspected anti-tank troops were sneaking around, but took out too many friendlies even for Soviet command and were mothballed.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Godholio posted:

He walked right up to it. Did you not watch the video?

On my tiny phone. Looked like he chucked it onto the turret. So they were both down the barrel and the second one set off the round in the chamber or the magazine inside?

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 3, 2013

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.
Pretty insane that he went up to the tank twice

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Raimundus posted:

Road rage incident between Marines, possibly on-base:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=73b_1364917659

The aggressor is arrested at the very end of the clip. Climax at 1:40.

All i could think of was Thad from Blue Mountain State When the guys voice started to get all high pitched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTqj6JICMGc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4mqCbS_gN4

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

MonkeyLibFront posted:

The commander's hatch is on the far side of the turret in the video and neither the commander's telescopic sight (if he even had one) nor his vision blocks (periscopes) would have allowed him to see the guy approaching the tank. As for how it exploded I'd guess that the fighter got incredibly lucky and caught the tank in the middle of the reloading cycle with the breech open or not fully locked with an incendiary grenade. That doesn't really make sense to me, but the Soviets had different ideas about crew safety than the US or NATO tank designers did.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Veins McGee posted:

They do. For the main weapon system/coax, their sights have the same limitations that the gunner's sights do. Abrams TCs can control their 50 from inside the turret, as far as I know. However, the primary limitation remains: Their situational awareness(i.e., what they can see around them) is degraded because they're either looking out a pinhole(telescopic sights) or they're looking out the periscopes.

Case in point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd3H05HgXLg

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Vindolanda posted:

Wasn't that why the soviets trialled all those claymore-type things strapped to tanks during the invasion in the 80s? From what I've heard they were set off if you suspected anti-tank troops were sneaking around, but took out too many friendlies even for Soviet command and were mothballed.

These? It looks like they're still in use, just with the added caution of "keep the infantry away from the tank." Which seems counterproductive, really.

(I don't think the Russians have ever had a standard for "took out too many friendlies.")

On a semi-related note, I was reading a bit about the Tiran 5, and I'm genuinely curious how the Israelis managed to capture 400 intact tanks over the course of the Six-Day War. Were they facing the Keystone Kops?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Arishtat posted:

The commander's hatch is on the far side of the turret in the video and neither the commander's telescopic sight (if he even had one) nor his vision blocks (periscopes) would have allowed him to see the guy approaching the tank. As for how it exploded I'd guess that the fighter got incredibly lucky and caught the tank in the middle of the reloading cycle with the breech open or not fully locked with an incendiary grenade. That doesn't really make sense to me, but the Soviets had different ideas about crew safety than the US or NATO tank designers did.

Doesn't matter for either platform, breech closed or not. A grenade going down the tube would detonate the propellant and ruin the crew's day. Only difference is the Abrams having blowout panels to offset round cookoff, and that wouldn't factor in if the explosion hit the crew compartment before round storage.

And drat I'm glad we don't have an autoloader, poo poo is claustrophobic enough as it is.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Doesn't matter for either platform, breech closed or not. A grenade going down the tube would detonate the propellant and ruin the crew's day.

There's more fill in the 120mm shell than there is in the grenade, even if the grenade blast does cook off the loaded round (which I think is unlikely), okay, your loaded round just went off. The chamber pressure's not going to be significantly higher than the round just firing normally. Yeah, the grenade detonates, but it's relatively unconfined, the breech block has to deal with pressures higher than that every time it fires. If the grenade managed to set off the explosive fill in a loaded HEAT round, okay, bad news, but that's shock-insensitive stuff otherwise you'd be crossing your fingers every time you fired it.

Sorry. I occasionally get upset that I don't blow stuff up at my job anymore.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 3, 2013

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Phanatic posted:

There's more fill in the 120mm shell than there is in the grenade, even if the grenade blast does cook off the loaded round (which I think is unlikely), okay, your loaded round just went off. The chamber pressure's not going to be significantly higher than the round just firing normally. Yeah, the grenade detonates, but it's relatively unconfined, the breech block has to deal with pressures higher than that every time it fires. If the grenade managed to set off the explosive fill in a loaded HEAT round, okay, bad news, but that's shock-insensitive stuff otherwise you'd be crossing your fingers every time you fired it.

You're no fun.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

These? It looks like they're still in use, just with the added caution of "keep the infantry away from the tank." Which seems counterproductive, really.

(I don't think the Russians have ever had a standard for "took out too many friendlies.")

On a semi-related note, I was reading a bit about the Tiran 5, and I'm genuinely curious how the Israelis managed to capture 400 intact tanks over the course of the Six-Day War. Were they facing the Keystone Kops?

ERA is to combat rounds penetrating, not to combat infantry units nearby. Im pretty sure they cant be manually set off

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

And drat I'm glad we don't have an autoloader, poo poo is claustrophobic enough as it is.

That thing looks loving terrifying, like having a giant metal deathsnake up in the turret with you.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

swagger like us posted:

ERA is to combat rounds penetrating, not to combat infantry units nearby. Im pretty sure they cant be manually set off

Yeah, I've certainly heard about some kind of manually fired thing mounted to protect the sides and back of the tank, but this was from a Challenger 2 commander boasting about some vision upgrade kit that would make it easier to see AT squads sneaking up, so usual "heard from the military" standards of believableness apply.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

AFAIK they used to/still have fragmentation or riot control rounds rounds loaded into the smoke launcher to kill dudes trying to climb around your tanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

The massive superiority of the IAF meant that Egyptian crews were fleeing their tanks on foot.

• Locked thread