Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
It is going to be funny when that crashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
Jesus christ I check bitcoin prices every couple of weeks, what the gently caress?

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

nebby posted:

Jesus christ I check bitcoin prices every couple of weeks, what the gently caress?

Bunch of hedge fund guys are running it up.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

nebby posted:

If you are sure it's not net network, then yes, it should be pretty instantaneous unless you are doing something ridiculously complicated. You probably have some extremely nested loops, which will blow up the complexity of your algorithm and cause it to run slow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_O_notation

The way to fix this is to make sure you're not doing anything N * N * N or more times (where N is anything your program is happening to do work on, for example N could be the number of stocks, the number of historical data points, etc). As soon as you get to O(N^3) or worse you're gonna start running into slowness.
Thank you. You're right - the problem was a third-layer loop and excessive drive reading what could have been referenced in memory. The guys in the Python thread sorted it out.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

nebby posted:

Conincides with the Cyprus debacle. Rich Russian oligarchs moving money into bitcoins? I mean sure the euro is a mess but bitcoins... wow

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Conincides with the Cyprus debacle. Rich Russian oligarchs moving money into bitcoins? I mean sure the euro is a mess but bitcoins... wow
To be honest it would be extremely nice if bitcoins were actually a nice alternative to gold as a hedge against fiat currencies. But it's such a speculative bubble I won't go near it.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Within 3 months, there will be a Bitcoin heist of epic proportions.

nebby posted:

To be honest it would be extremely nice if bitcoins were actually a nice alternative to gold as a hedge against fiat currencies. But it's such a speculative bubble I won't go near it.

I mean Bitcoins could work if it were actually a viable scarce commodity (what happens when they get a competitor "currency"?) or they were remotely safe (the history of the "currency" is fraud/theft/illegal use).

Arkane fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 4, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Arkane posted:

I hope George Clooney and Brad Pitt have good alibis.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Arkane posted:

There's already been stories of someone losing $100,000+ worth of bitcoins, and this was back when they were like $8 a pop.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
There are some great some blog posts and articles about bitcoin out so far, people should check them out

https://medium.com/money-banking/2b5ef79482cb
http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2013/04/03/1446692/when-memory-becomes-money-the-story-of-bitcoin-so-far/
http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2013/04/03/1425292/the-problem-with-bitcoin/

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Are there bitcoin derivatives yet?

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

If we are talking about bitcoin it has certainly peaked.

There were some GBS threads about how lax the security is on their site so if goons are in on it you know what that means.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

evilwaldo posted:

If we are talking about bitcoin it has certainly peaked.

There were some GBS threads about how lax the security is on their site so if goons are in on it you know what that means.

The GBS Bitcoin thread got closed because some dumbass goon accessed someone else's account on some third-party Bitcoin "vault" site (by typing their username into the URL) and transferring Bitcoins out.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

nebby posted:

I'm not clear how bitcoin isn't itself fiat currency. What collateral is it backed by?

R.A. Dickey fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 4, 2013

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

R.A. Dickey posted:

I'm not clear how bitcoin isn't itself fiat currency. What collateral is it backed by?

I believe the Bitcoin Central Bank's most valuable asset at the moment is the Ron Paul blimp.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Bitcoins have already had a boom/bust a few years back, but this is nuts. There's been a lot more press around them lately, and the number of ways of exchanging them for cash and goods has also been rising.

In my youth I used to play some text-based fantasy games.. some of them are still around, and there's a glut of curremcy but some people still pay more than $1000 dollars for some code that represents great armor or whatever. The collateral is the willingness (or stupidity) of those involved.

(e: I was being sarcastic about using this thread as a reference.)

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 4, 2013

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

R.A. Dickey posted:

Computer servers.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

R.A. Dickey posted:

The full faith and credit of the internet.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

R.A. Dickey posted:

Fiat currency is backed by collateral. Non-fiat currency is backed by nothing but the inherent value of its exchange units.

Through the magic of libertarianism this somehow makes fiat less valuable than non-fiat.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Bitcoins are mined much like gold, therefore it is like gold.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
backed by weed, coke, MDMA, and heroin....

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

Foma posted:

backed by weed, coke, MDMA, and heroin....

I heard that for Bitcoins. Would not surprise me in the least.

Supposedly this is one of the ways to get money out of Cyprus as well along with a number of other scams. Businesses with London addresses are now billing from there instead of Cyprus. The foreign business now collects the revenue and pays the bills while the Cyprus address becomes a pure cost center.

I honestly would not go anywhere near Bitcoins right now. When that crashes it will be ugly.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
They were talking about bitcoin on bloomberg radio this morning. I thought I had taken crazy pills.

They also said there was a bitcoin ETF. I'm pretty sure there isn't. :raise:

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

pr0k posted:

They were talking about bitcoin on bloomberg radio this morning. I thought I had taken crazy pills.

They also said there was a bitcoin ETF. I'm pretty sure there isn't. :raise:

You can poke that bubble.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Autism Kroners

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005
Holy crap what a crazy day it has been in the Forex market....... multiple pairs making over 200 pip moves.

Amun
Oct 16, 2002

asmallrabbit posted:

Holy crap what a crazy day it has been in the Forex market....... multiple pairs making over 200 pip moves.

ugh, I got slaughtered trying to get short the EURUSD during the ECB press conference and barely made it back to breakeven for the day. In case anyone's wondering: the stove is still hot, so don't touch it. Again.

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

Amun posted:

ugh, I got slaughtered trying to get short the EURUSD during the ECB press conference and barely made it back to breakeven for the day. In case anyone's wondering: the stove is still hot, so don't touch it. Again.

I missed out on at least half the moves of the two pairs i trade and even then they were good for me. It was crazy after the BOJ announcement yesterday night. Move of like 80 pips in under a minute.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
I noticed a lot of talk on Tesla motors a few pages back, so I am sure this has come up previously, but what are your thoughts on Musk's other company SolarCity (SCTY). One of my engineering buddies is a huge SpaceX, Tesla, SolarCity, et al. fan, and just started investing in SCTY. I've been curious about the solar power market in general behaves, as SCTY seems to fluctuate pretty significantly without any major announcements to accompany the changes (e.g. higher efficiency of solar cells used bumps the price up). What are your thoughts?

Amun
Oct 16, 2002

Volatility FINALLY feels like it's coming back. Thanks NFP!

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005
What a crazy week 2nd week of live forex trading. Started out small, was up $100 on my initial deposit of $1000. Then I made a whole bunch of mistakes and bad decisions when I really should have known better from demo trading. It had nothing to do with actually using real money, was just not following my own style. Ended up down I think $500 or close to it in a couple days. Rode the crazy wave from the announcements this week and used my second deposit of $1000 to dig myself out of the hole I had made and started figuring out what really worked for me and what didn't.

I initially thought I was going to follow more of a swing trading style, looking at mostly 1 hour and 4 hour charts, with smaller ones for entry. However I found using the 1 minute, 5 minute and 30 minute charts, even for longer trades works better for me.

Ended the week up $968, trying not to think about the chances that I missed by being too cautious at times, I likely could have doubled that....

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Amun posted:

Volatility FINALLY feels like it's coming back. Thanks NFP!

:hfive: we haven't done over 1.5M volume in a while.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

asmallrabbit posted:

What a crazy week 2nd week of live forex trading. Started out small, was up $100 on my initial deposit of $1000. Then I made a whole bunch of mistakes and bad decisions when I really should have known better from demo trading. It had nothing to do with actually using real money, was just not following my own style. Ended up down I think $500 or close to it in a couple days. Rode the crazy wave from the announcements this week and used my second deposit of $1000 to dig myself out of the hole I had made and started figuring out what really worked for me and what didn't.

I initially thought I was going to follow more of a swing trading style, looking at mostly 1 hour and 4 hour charts, with smaller ones for entry. However I found using the 1 minute, 5 minute and 30 minute charts, even for longer trades works better for me.

Ended the week up $968, trying not to think about the chances that I missed by being too cautious at times, I likely could have doubled that....

Be happy you made money. Forex trading is a cruel mistress that can eat you up and spit you out in a minute.

Amun
Oct 16, 2002

asmallrabbit posted:

down I think $500

You're trading a bit big for your account size, don't you think? 50% drawdown to nearly 50% run-up is a heckuva swing.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Amun posted:

You're trading a bit big for your account size, don't you think? 50% drawdown to nearly 50% run-up is a heckuva swing.

asmallrabbit posted:

I'm really not seeing this at all on my demo account which is why I want to try with a real account and see how it goes. With approx $1000 margin I've been making about 100ish a week fairly consistently when I was originally aiming for an extra 100 a month.

I still have my other investments which are the bulk of my portfolio in my RRSP and TFSA, the money I would be using for Forex is disposable income. I don't see how you think I'm shooting for the moon by opening a starter account with $1000. I'm not expecting to turn that into millions over night. I DO think I will be able to grow that initial capital within a few years to be closer to what my goals would be from it though.

asmallrabbit posted:

And where did I say that my goal was 300% a year?

Regardless I'm willing to try it and see what my results are. I don't subscribe to the thought that because something is hard or lots of people say it is impossible that you should just give up. I think that stops a lot of people from realizing their full potential. Look at the number of succesful people that have dropped out of high school or gone ahead with their ideas despite being telling them they couldn't or that it wasn't the proper way that ended up being successful.

Just going to leave these gems from this same guy earlier in the thread...

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

koolkal posted:

Just going to leave these gems from this same guy earlier in the thread...
The best is "used my second deposit of $1000 to dig myself out of the hole."

So much for this only being "disposable income." Pretty sure this dude will be wiped out in a few months. Why not just fly to vegas, at least there you get to drink for free.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I'm convinced it is an elaborate troll.

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

Amun posted:

Yup. *shrug* I was doing 20 000 units with 1k margin, I am comfortable with it for now. Made a second deposit of 1k as the first 1k i was going to deposit was locked in the USD account i had created for it for a few days. So I took the initial one from my regular account instead, then moved the other one over after.

Once the second deposit came in I had some fun trading a standard lot for awhile.

I've since decided to go back down to 20000 units again.

Leave the gems all you want, I might very well blow the account, but at least it will be entertaining for you guys if I do. In the meantime I'm going to continue on.

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

nebby posted:

The best is "used my second deposit of $1000 to dig myself out of the hole."

So much for this only being "disposable income." Pretty sure this dude will be wiped out in a few months. Why not just fly to vegas, at least there you get to drink for free.

The 2nd deposit was already being transferred before those losses actually, I didnt move it to get myself out. I was going to move it anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

asmallrabbit posted:

The 2nd deposit was already being transferred before those losses actually, I didnt move it to get myself out. I was going to move it anyways.
I just hope for your sake that the world-crumbling-around-you disaster that is sure to strike happens at the $1k level and not a $100k level. Until you've had the adrenaline rush of seeing your wealth evaporate you're going to lack the humility needed to not get creamed. "Heroic recoveries" like the one you just experienced (and the story you seem to be telling yourself) are not you "digging out of a hole" or "playing your style" but almost entirely dumb luck. You're in the ocean and the currents and waves are basically in control, not you paddling on your board. At least you are still seeing yourself as responsible for both wins and losses: in phase 2 you blame the market for losses and yourself for wins.

I don't believe in the efficient market hypothesis but I also don't believe that you can get 100% yearly returns without either a) being able to predict the future or b) taking on enormous amounts of risk.