Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

AzraelDarkheart posted:

Yeah. No one likes TVN's choices usually. But fortunately, this group apparently made the colors based off of the GCCX subtitle colors. So I guess it's in-between? Call me a purist, though. I prefer one style all throughout. Less confusing on the eyes.

It only seems this way because you're not used to it and frankly, GCCX doesn't have a lot of actual dialogue between 2+ people in it and if it is it's very call-and-answer. When they do GnT subs or other variety show subs it becomes necessary to sub everyone as a different color because there's often multiple people talking over each other and it can become very confusing to follow unless you're familiar enough with the voices(and sometimes with the language itself) to sort out who is talking without having a guide.

For GCCX one color is fine because again, it's usually only Arino talking and if he is talking with someone it's in a banter format so you can always tell who is asking the question and who is responding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

PopeCrunch posted:

Sent! Should be seven, last one is luigi freaking out about G-G-G-GOAST

Got it, thanks!

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Crotch Bat posted:

It only seems this way because you're not used to it and frankly, GCCX doesn't have a lot of actual dialogue between 2+ people in it and if it is it's very call-and-answer. When they do GnT subs or other variety show subs it becomes necessary to sub everyone as a different color because there's often multiple people talking over each other and it can become very confusing to follow unless you're familiar enough with the voices(and sometimes with the language itself) to sort out who is talking without having a guide.

For GCCX one color is fine because again, it's usually only Arino talking and if he is talking with someone it's in a banter format so you can always tell who is asking the question and who is responding.

I really don't think multiple colors is necessary for any situation. It's always, always some weird ultra fan stuff. I don't think a lot of people can even connect the colors to characters unless they've been watching more than long enough to become familiar with voices.

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
Agreeing with it being necessary for at least GnT. One of my friends really enjoys GnT and other Downtown stuff and watches as much as he can, but even having watched so much of them, he knows he would be lost in some segments without the color coded subs since he doesn't know any Japanese.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
In GCCX even the Japanese subtitles are color coded. I really do agree that it's unnecessary for something like GCCX, but for shows with lots of simultaneous talking, using the persons preestablished colors makes sense. It's really all on a case by case basis

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

I'd really like to see those external links if you have them! I need a GCCX fix.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Keyboard Kid posted:

I really don't think multiple colors is necessary for any situation. It's always, always some weird ultra fan stuff. I don't think a lot of people can even connect the colors to characters unless they've been watching more than long enough to become familiar with voices.

You know, I wound up using two colors in the interview subs after a lot of very long deliberation. The problem with those wasn't that people were just talking fast, there were actually two separate conversations talking place that were overlapping each other. I went back and forth with a few different options, not really happy with any of them until I decided just to make the conversation that wasn't part of the video white text at the top.

If that had been a normal GCCX episode I would have done something different because that would depart from the visual cues that we've established. Consistency in appearance is one of the most important things in subtitles since it aids in rapidly processing the text in that brief window available.

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

epmode posted:

I'd really like to see those external links if you have them! I need a GCCX fix.

The other group's tumblr has links for all of their releases (that includes the ones that were mentioned): http://lcgccx.tumblr.com/releases

They're lagging a bit. They started the Super Metroid three parter a LONG time ago and haven't finished it. Thankfully I don't necessarily need subtitles to understand most of it. I'd still like to see it finished, though.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Keyboard Kid posted:

You should watch Japanese variety shows. The Japanese themselves even make color-coded subtitles for certain shows or people just because it's easy to either miss the comment or be unaware of who said it unless they're being focused on by a camera.

For a show like GnT the color-coding is a very beneficial learning device for people to ease into the show. A color is always associated with a certain character and that makes it easier to process stuff in the early going before you learn the voices. Subtitles can move very fast and having to process context and other things while looking at white text when 4 different people are talking over each other can bog down a lot of people.

Raife
Feb 2, 2004
I know a while back people were trading the GCCX Swapnote stationary around. I finally got a 3DS and wanted to be with the cool kids. Would anyone be so kind as to share it with me?

Friend Code: 3351-4380-1216

Thanks.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Raife posted:

I know a while back people were trading the GCCX Swapnote stationary around. I finally got a 3DS and wanted to be with the cool kids. Would anyone be so kind as to share it with me?

Friend Code: 3351-4380-1216

Thanks.

Added you let me send it to you

my FC is 0473-8646-4896

Raife
Feb 2, 2004

bpc908 posted:

Added you let me send it to you

my FC is 0473-8646-4896

Thanks. Added you and sent you a note. (I think I'm doing it properly.)

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
I complained specifically about fansubs doing it as opposed to the official caption/telop stuff in Japanese shows, because fansubs almost always do it badly or for no reason. In SAGCCX's case, they have a consistent color for speaking subtitles, so the occasions when different colors for dialogue gets used, it's clear why it was necessary as I'm watching it.

I watch new GCCX episodes raw and don't need subs to understand or enjoy the show, but I love a good subtitle effort. That's why I follow these subs. I can also learn a few things about adaptation by watching, as well. :)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gaki no Tsukai would be impossible to watch without colour coding and the episodes what have colour coding that came before people seemed to agree on who is what colour is confusing to watch, because you'd have an episode where Yamazaki was purple and then blue the next, which are now Tanaka and Hamada.

GCCX rarely if ever has three or four people speaking at once, so it's definitely less necessary but it's worth considering that some people have trouble differentiating between voices for many reasons, medical issues being an important one. Consistency is the key if you do it, and common sense should tell you when you need to, but ruling out the practice because you think it's needlessly flashy is as bad as doing it to be flashy.

I'm not really versed well on Japanese TV outside GCCX and Downtown related stuff, so the subtitles they have baked in on the shows are a common thing? Is there a specific reasons, like to clarify between the Japanese dialects or is it for the sake of clarity? I know that much of the time it's supplementary information like telling you which game they're playing, so that makes sense.

WesY2K
Mar 26, 2013
I think it is the same reason why Chinese shows have chinese subtitles: dialects. The spoken word is not as consistent as the written word.

SuperPlay
Nov 17, 2012

AzraelDarkheart posted:

The other group's tumblr has links for all of their releases (that includes the ones that were mentioned): http://lcgccx.tumblr.com/releases

They're lagging a bit. They started the Super Metroid three parter a LONG time ago and haven't finished it. Thankfully I don't necessarily need subtitles to understand most of it. I'd still like to see it finished, though.

Thats the link :-)

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Aurain posted:

I'm not really versed well on Japanese TV outside GCCX and Downtown related stuff, so the subtitles they have baked in on the shows are a common thing? Is there a specific reasons, like to clarify between the Japanese dialects or is it for the sake of clarity? I know that much of the time it's supplementary information like telling you which game they're playing, so that makes sense.

It's extremely common in variety shows, both for making it easier to follow what's being said (a lot of these shows often have a bunch of comedians essentially competing in making the snappiest comments, so there's often a lot of overlapping dialogue - this is where color coded subs are handy), and also to call specific attention to certain lines, either because they're important key lines, or because they're funny jokes they want to make sure the audience registered.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ah, I see. Thanks!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Japan is a language that's VERY context-focused, and I suspect that they do it to help out people flipping through channels; in Japanese subtitles you'll occasionally see parts in parentheses to give context, which could be a few sentences back or even an episode or two back (or an entirely different show). Also, a lot of Japanese...sounds a like, depending on context. "kumo" can mean spider or cloud, "kami" can mean paper, hair, or god, and the sentence うらにわにはにわにわにはにわにわとりがいる has 816 possible interpretations (which are reduced to 1 if you replace the hiragana with the right kanji). The Japanese equivalent to "drat you autocorrect" has been around as long as home computers have because the computer has to guess which kanji you're looking for and can sometimes input kanji that are 100% phonetically equivalent to what you said but say something completely off the wall (which isn't helped by the fact that "chichi" can mean "dad" and "breasts").

VV This is also true.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 4, 2013

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Should be mentioned that there's a lot of "we do it because that's just the kind of thing you do" mentality involved, though. They tend to subtitle important and funny lines on a constant basis, no matter whether or not it seems particularly necessary or helpful to the audience. It's become that sort of thing you just do when you make this type of show, and all your viewers will be expecting you to do it.

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*

univbee posted:

Japan is a language that's VERY context-focused, and I suspect that they do it to help out people flipping through channels; in Japanese subtitles you'll occasionally see parts in parentheses to give context, which could be a few sentences back or even an episode or two back (or an entirely different show). Also, a lot of Japanese...sounds a like, depending on context. "kumo" can mean spider or cloud, "kami" can mean paper, hair, or god, and the sentence うらにわにはにわにわにはにわにわとりがいる has 816 possible interpretations (which are reduced to 1 if you replace the hiragana with the right kanji). The Japanese equivalent to "drat you autocorrect" has been around as long as home computers have because the computer has to guess which kanji you're looking for and can sometimes input kanji that are 100% phonetically equivalent to what you said but say something completely off the wall (which isn't helped by the fact that "chichi" can mean "dad" and "breasts").

VV This is also true.

That's pretty interesting. So what does that sentence actually say? (I'll settle for the kanji version)
Also Dragonball just got a bit more amusing to me.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
New Episode
4/11/2013
The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse

Season 17 is finally going to start in Japan next week. Wonder if we will see more of Wreck It Ralph/ Sugar Rush stuff in this episode. I also hope someone subs the Yoiko Sugar Rush special as well.

The Disney Magical Quest games are fun games to play. Can't wait to see Arino play it. Also, can anyone translate FujiTV's GCCX website about what the new segment maybe. Arino also has a bad win loss(barley over .500) record with Capcom games. Was the first game in the series a hard Capcom game.

http://www.fujitv.co.jp/otn/gamecenter/index.html

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TemporalParadox posted:

That's pretty interesting. So what does that sentence actually say? (I'll settle for the kanji version)
Also Dragonball just got a bit more amusing to me.

http://www.unixuser.org/~euske/doc/niwatori/ has every possible version of that sentence.

A simpler version of the sentence is generally interpreted as "there are two chickens in the garden" but this is a longer variation.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

joek0 posted:

Also, can anyone translate FujiTV's GCCX website about what the new segment maybe.
It just says they'll be introducing a new segment; no details as to what it is. The Tamage will be at Ebara Game Corner in Shinagawa, and they'll be continuing the 1990 GB showcase.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

joek0 posted:

New Episode
4/11/2013

Ooh, i might try and find the raw for this. I used to rent this all the time when i was younger. I remember it being hard, but that may have just been age. This will be a good one.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

joek0 posted:

gently caress yes. I love that game and it's just on the brink of being hard enough to where it could pose a legitimate challenge for Arino.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I saw this thread yesterday, checked out a few episodes and so far I've watched the Sonic episode, the trip to the North and the Korean episode and oh my god guys, this is great and you're all cool people for making a thread about it. Watching the cuts in the Sonic episode where Arino talks about 1200 fans attending a GCCX thing over three days sounded a little dispiriting, though-- are fan conventions normally that small?

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013

joek0 posted:

New Episode
4/11/2013

Season 17 is finally going to start in Japan next week. Wonder if we will see more of Wreck It Ralph/ Sugar Rush stuff in this episode. I also hope someone subs the Yoiko Sugar Rush special as well.

The Disney Magical Quest games are fun games to play. Can't wait to see Arino play it. Also, can anyone translate FujiTV's GCCX website about what the new segment maybe. Arino also has a bad win loss(barley over .500) record with Capcom games. Was the first game in the series a hard Capcom game.

http://www.fujitv.co.jp/otn/gamecenter/index.html

Well i was more hoping for Castle of Illusion, i'm still really really pumped for this.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been meaning to ask this: does anyone know what's the BGM music used sometimes in the show when Arino is having a tough time? It pops up from time to time but I can at least give you one example - in Donkey Kong Country part 1 (episode 075), it starts at 28:26. It's an intro to a song, but which one?

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Aurain posted:

GCCX rarely if ever has three or four people speaking at once, so it's definitely less necessary but it's worth considering that some people have trouble differentiating between voices for many reasons, medical issues being an important one. Consistency is the key if you do it, and common sense should tell you when you need to, but ruling out the practice because you think it's needlessly flashy is as bad as doing it to be flashy.
Good point. As long as there's a legitimate reason for it (usually self-evident while watching) I can deal with it. The rainbow subs problem more often comes from anime fansubs, where it isn't needed at all, not to mention all the other bad practices done on that side. Hell, the worst I ever saw was karaoke effects in spoken subtitles, and I mean really egregious ones. And I don't like karaoke effects in the first place. :cheeky:

As for the colored captions in the actual raw episodes, that's different. Just so I'm not misunderstood, I was just talking about misuse of it in fansubs. Though it appears anime fansubbing and live TV fansubbing are two entirely different worlds!

Also, Magical Quest?! YES! :woop:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

How Ingratiating! posted:

Hell, the worst I ever saw was karaoke effects in spoken subtitles, and I mean really egregious ones. And I don't like karaoke effects in the first place. :cheeky:

Holy poo poo, this is actually a thing? Do you have a link to an example? That sounds really weird and really time-consuming to do for no real reason.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Nickoten posted:

Holy poo poo, this is actually a thing? Do you have a link to an example? That sounds really weird and really time-consuming to do for no real reason.

Kaizoku Fansubs' groan-tastic One Piece subs did it for attack names/catchphrases a lot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFu9lh37X34&t=0m53s

Adamant fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 4, 2013

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Adamant posted:

Kaizoku Fansubs' groan-tastic One Piece subs did it for attack names/catchphrases a lot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFu9lh37X34&t=0m53s

Wow, I've heard of this anime fansub documentary but this is my first time seeing it.

This LOTR thing is the best part:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFu9lh37X34&t=2m14s

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 4, 2013

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
You say that, but until Funimation started doing it themselves, they were the most quality subs of that show. Which is unfortunate.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, that LoTR thing was funny from the get-go, but the elvish part dropped me completely.

Maybe it's according to fansub keikaku, I dunno.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Man I could have sworn Arino played Magical Quest already. Did I have some sort of GCCX dream that I took as canon?

Also I'd never realized how obnoxious modern fansubs of anime were until watching that doc. I think that might be part of why I dropped out of the anime scene in my late teens, even if I didn't realize it at the time.

mato
Apr 12, 2007

zari-gani posted:

Wow, I've heard of this anime fansub documentary but this is my first time seeing it.

Holy moly, I'm gonna have to sit down and watch this whole thing. I think it'd be hilarious to see LOTR in that format though, just once. It also reminds me of sort of the opposite too, when Japanese fans ragged on the lady who did the subtitles for the official LOTR translations in Japan.

I assume there are fansubbers in Japan who translate English-language shows, I wonder if they do their own unusual, over-the-top stuff too.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Can I get on the swapnote train while it's still going? 1719-3181-6997

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

zari-gani posted:

It's everything I've ever hoped for and more.

T/N note: more means more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Hey, if you're still giving out swapnotes, my code is 1633-4415-2668.

When was the letter from Arino sent, again? I have a Japanese 3DS, but but didn't download Swapnote until last June... did I miss out on a lot of other cool stationary too?