Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Infamous Sphere posted:

There's only really two consistent criticisms I'd have with the new NC. One is the fact that whenever he starts the review and says "helloooooooo, I'm the Nostalgia Critic", he wobbles his head around like one of those bobble-head figurines, for no reason at all. For some reason it really bothers me.

He's been doing it since basically the beginning. It's gotten exaggerated over time, but what has he done that hasn't. I saw him mention that in one of the commentaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
To me, it felt like the skit stuff was a least a bit better "integrated" with the movie stuff this time; he even changed up location a couple of times in accordance with what was going on in the skit. The ending bit did get a chuckle out of me. I'm a bit stunned at that "male academia" comment as well--that has to be one of the more awkward "you go, girl" moments committed to mainstream film.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Senerio posted:

He's been doing it since basically the beginning. It's gotten exaggerated over time, but what has he done that hasn't. I saw him mention that in one of the commentaries.

Huh, I suppose I didn't really notice it before the hiatus. I've become a lot more aware of how people come across on camera over time - my first Infamous Queer review was extremely weird for me to look back on when I eventually did a commentary of it. For some reason, I didn't..seem to move my face. At all. I have no idea how I managed to present an entire 27 minute critique without having one single facial expression beyond "neutral" but I did. Thankfully, my presentation style has become a lot less robotic. That said, every reviewer does end up with a bit of a quirk that they do, often without noticing. In my case, my default expression seems to be "one eyebrow slightly raised."

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
http://thecinemasnob.com/2013/04/02/plutonium-baby.aspx
Was that the Goosebumps TV Series theme song playing on his cell phone near the beginning?

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
For some reason I can't watch any new videos uploaded on blip. For instance, the newest nostalgia chick won't load for me, but all the rest of her videos work fine. I tried disabling adblock and switching browsers, but at best, the only thing that plays is the opening commercial. Anyone else have that problem?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

tinaun posted:

For some reason I can't watch any new videos uploaded on blip. For instance, the newest nostalgia chick won't load for me, but all the rest of her videos work fine. I tried disabling adblock and switching browsers, but at best, the only thing that plays is the opening commercial. Anyone else have that problem?

Does the player say "Sorry, we're unable to play this video"? I've been getting that as well.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
New Ursa review: "Bend It Like Beckham"

http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/65-bend-it-like-beckham/

I haven't thought about this movie in years, and now I have a desire to go revisit it.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Benne posted:

New Ursa review: "Bend It Like Beckham"

http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/65-bend-it-like-beckham/

I haven't thought about this movie in years, and now I have a desire to go revisit it.

And that's why Ursa made it to the big leagues. I hope now that she has a faster Internet connection, she won't have to talk so drat fast to keep her episode length down, though.

Edit: Marzgurl will be doing a live episode of her Beyond the Black Rims podcast here, at 8:30 CDT tonight. I listen to the podcast when it touches on subjects I'm interested in, and I think that she's at her best when speaking semi-extemporaneously.

echopapa fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 4, 2013

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

http://thecinemasnob.com/2013/04/04/rip-roger-ebert.aspx
Good blog posted by Brad, you can tell how much Ebert's death had on him.

I can't even imagine how Doug is feeling :smith:

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

I will admit that this is an excellent episode - and Ursa is good at her analysis, but I can't help that feel that the "selection" process for who succeeds in reviewing and who doesn't is fairly arbitrary. In Ursa's case, she had a certain advantage by being in Nerdquest, as well as focussing on media that already has a decent fandom. I'm very happy that she made it to Chez Apocalypse, but I'm reluctant to understand that as some kind of distinction that means that she's automatically infinitely more deserving than other reviewers out there (I'd say the same for Rantasmo.)

With that in mind, I'd very much like to promote a reviewer colleague of mine, The Cine-Masochist. He reviews exploitation, horror and other genre works, which I admit have been overturned several times by other reviewers (Brad, Lupa, etc), but definitely don't let that put you off. He's been reviewing much longer than I have, and he's always a heck of a lot of fun - even if you're not particularly interested in the exploitation genre (as with myself) - not to mention the fact that his reviews are always very well paced, well-edited and produced and meticulously done. For one to start with, I'd recommend Keoma, the review of a spaghetti western seemingly starring a singing Arnie.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

http://thecinemasnob.com/2013/04/04/rip-roger-ebert.aspx
Good blog posted by Brad, you can tell how much Ebert's death had on him.

I can't even imagine how Doug is feeling :smith:

Why imagine when you can watch it.

I kinda wanna watch some old Siskel and Ebert reviews now. Are there any shows out there today that capture the same kind of magic that duo had? I know there's Half in the Bag but they're rarely if ever a tenth as charismatic or passionate when they talk about the movies they watched, and I know there are podcasts but I like actually seeing the people speaking, or at the very least what they're talking about.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Man that's a great video, such a genuine blend of sadness at the death and joy when talking about him.

I can get where it's coming from, I'd watch them as a little kid and then later followed Ebert religiously, I'm positive I wouldn't be such a cinephile if not for their passion and love for movies.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

SatansBestBuddy posted:

This is incredibly genuine.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

In "honor" of the Jurassic Park 3D Rerelease

Here is Bennet the Sage reading a JP Fanfic known as "Root Her"
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/the-sage/fanfic-theatre/5802-episode-4-root-her
:wtc:

Also midnight reviews of Evil Dead and Jurassic Park 3D
http://thecinemasnob.com/2013/04/05/midnight-screenings-evil-dead-and-jurassic-park-3d.aspx

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

Violen posted:

This is incredibly genuine.

I never thought Doug Walker would get me all choked up. That was great.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
I freaking loved Phelous' 2 part tearing down of Friday the 13th 9. Particularly when he was framing the series beforehand, discussing the fun shift of tone to the backstory starting with 6, and how 9 screwed up so badly with ignoring even basic series continuity that even 10 and Freddy vs. Jason ignored it. I recently watched through the whole series the first time, and he reflected my own take on both this movie and the series in general, it just made me smile. Also, gently caress Jason Goes To Hell.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

cubs2084 posted:

I freaking loved Phelous' 2 part tearing down of Friday the 13th 9. Particularly when he was framing the series beforehand, discussing the fun shift of tone to the backstory starting with 6, and how 9 screwed up so badly with ignoring even basic series continuity that even 10 and Freddy vs. Jason ignored it. I recently watched through the whole series the first time, and he reflected my own take on both this movie and the series in general, it just made me smile. Also, gently caress Jason Goes To Hell.
It's amazing how badly that movie missed the point of the series. Nobody wants Jason to be some kind of alien that absorbs people.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

My second review of an Animorphs video game, Animorphs: Know The Secret for the PC.

Fair warning, not for fans of brevity.

http://blip.tv/pop-arena/animorphs-know-the-secret-pc-animorphs-video-game-guide-6565404

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It's videos like this that make me sad that he didn't drop the Nostalgia Critic gimmick for good. Granted, I thought Demo Reel was pretty awful, but his sincere reviews are far and away the best things he puts out nowadays.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mogambo posted:

It's videos like this that make me sad that he didn't drop the Nostalgia Critic gimmick for good. Granted, I thought Demo Reel was pretty awful, but his sincere reviews are far and away the best things he puts out nowadays.

Yea, I enjoy a good majority of NC stuff but I'd way rather just hear him be him, I'm sure he can do perfectly good 'Jesus guys this movie sucks' as just Doug.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Evil Dead Half in the Bag
http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-evil-dead/
That opening is so great

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

achillesforever6 posted:

Evil Dead Half in the Bag
http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-evil-dead/
That opening is so great
I'm putting the over/under on screamer BS at 2 for this review, am I wrong?

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
I just watched Doug's The King and I review. Wow...just...wow. I had no idea that cartoon was that bad. I lost it at the CGI statues moving in on the king and the stupid panther roaring at them. All the kid friendly changes too! Tuptim is with the prince? Of course there's no "Small House of Uncle Thomas", and the King LIVES? I loved this musical as a kid- I didn't need anything dumbed down for me.

Doug has to stop with his gimmicks. I know he thinks he has a great singing voice, but doing that Grinch thing in the King and I video made no sense, and (whispers) he's not that great.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea, I enjoy a good majority of NC stuff but I'd way rather just hear him be him, I'm sure he can do perfectly good 'Jesus guys this movie sucks' as just Doug.

In that vein, I'm sorry Sibling Rivalries fell to the wayside. I liked hearing Rob and Doug's contrasting opinions on films.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

No screamers, just some cheesy gore.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Oh Sad Panda http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/sadpanda/spspecials/38873-top-10-tgwtg-something-whatever-i-guess
:allears:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

FlamingLiberal posted:

VodeAndreas posted:

No screamers, just some cheesy gore.

Fantastically cheesy gore, I'm really impressed with how well they do special effects.

Have you seen their Best of the Worst Xtro/They Bite/Killer Eye episode? That is absolutely fantastical and them realizing that one of the movies is actually a masterpiece and one of the best movies they've ever seen was really great.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Another Nostalgia Critic Editorial, this time on the Looney Tunes Show.
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/38885-nostalgia-critic-the-looney-tunes-show-good-or-bad

And, yeah, it's another well-rounded and interesting review. This seems like a video CR would do. Where is CR, anyway?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

poparena posted:

Another Nostalgia Critic Editorial, this time on the Looney Tunes Show.
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/38885-nostalgia-critic-the-looney-tunes-show-good-or-bad

And, yeah, it's another well-rounded and interesting review. This seems like a video CR would do. Where is CR, anyway?

Yeah, I really liked this one! I doubt he intended his editorials to be the best things he does, but there you go.

Doug just needs to talk about whatever he's actually passionate about, and anything he's even kind of milquetoast about can be tossed in the bin.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

I was terrified this was going to be him announcing in his special way that he was also leaving the site. Phew.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Cards against Humanity with CA
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/nash/specials/38876-channel-awesome-against-humanity

Next time on Dr.Phil: How to talk to your child about A homoerotic volleyball montage :v:.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I know it's a bit late, but I kind of liked the Catwoman review. Doug's review style has definitely improved and the vignettes didn't seem too silly or out-of place. I do have a complaint about the "cat-related pun!" joke, as it was really telegraphed so far out, which makes meta-humour less funny.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Another Cheapskate episode is here, and I hardly needed to make any jokes because Steven Seagal is in it. But I make jokes anyway. Here's Today You Die.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Todd put up a new One Hit Wonderland. Some Soul song called "Me and Mrs Jones."

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Brad doing Beyond the Valley of the Dolls
Never heard about this movie other than Roger Ebert wrote it

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

Todd put up a new One Hit Wonderland. Some Soul song called "Me and Mrs Jones."

I thought this was a pretty damned entertaining episode - but I have to confess ignorance to a few of the songs he's reviewed for One Hit Wonderland (which is my issue, because all the songs reviewed were hits.) I mean..everyone's heard Kung Fu Fighting and Take On Me and Baby Got Back, but I certainly hadn't heard of Closing Time, or this song.
I do, however, think the analysis in these episodes is really good. It's refreshing to not have to hear some grating pop song over and over and over again, while Todd gets angry (which is entertaining, but it's good to have some balance.)

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

achillesforever6 posted:

Brad doing Beyond the Valley of the Dolls
Never heard about this movie other than Roger Ebert wrote it

OMG. It is AMAZING. I can't wait to see this! This quote comes from it:

and has this dancing!

I don't know if it's a movie that was made in earnest and then later said to be a parody such as the Room, or really was a parody, but it is great to watch if you love terrible movies.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Spoony's latest Counter Monkey is good and will hit close to home for a lot of RPG players. Just last week my Pathfinder group broke up due to players' personal stuff. I have never in my life actually finished an RPG campaign because they all end for the same reason.

By the way, I was amused to see Spoony on the TGWTG homepage again:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

The Grumps see the genius in Sonic 06 at last.

And they learn to duck loading times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Also Arin finally puts out a new animation. It's, uh...

:stare:

• Locked thread