Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Lizard Wizard posted:

The wiki's a bit skimpy on the matter, so anything I need to know for Disgaea 3? My experience is pretty much limited to having beaten the first game by the skin of my teeth.

It's been a while since I played this one, but the formula is fairly similar in all the disgaea games. Levelling up is ok, but you really want to be investing in good equipment, possibly with matching rarities for a stat bonus, as well as farming innocents from the item world.

You can name your equipment in the item world. This is the best thing.

7-3 is a good map to grind early on. With three (I think) stronger enemy bills the enemies will be at lvl99, which because of some bug with the exp formula, means they have the exp of level 300+ enemies.

The best innocents (statisticians and the ones that give you a percentage increase in a given stat that can effectively quadruple the base stats of your equipment) are now only found through reverse pirating, so spend some time in the item world until you find some pirates, beat their lily-livered asses and steal their ship. Reverse pirating can be done for every twenty levels gained in the item world of a particular item.

In order to unlock the majin class you'll need to play through the game again in NG+, which is why i'd advise you don't do the endgame content right off the bat and instead visit the time traveler to start over. You'll keep your equipment and levels, so you will be able to steamroll the game in a fraction of the time, and that way you'll be able to work on the endgame content with a full roster of classes.

If you really wanna take the grief out of grinding stats there is a mechanic/bug that lets you clone items. Get yourself a puppy paw stick from the diez gentlemen end game quest-line (you'll probably need to be around level 1000 to finish this comfortably). Equip a low level character with an item full of the item world residents you want to clone, then enter the character world (unlocked via the classroom assembly). There is like a 5% chance that a clone of your character will appear in one of the levels, and defeating them with the puppy paw stick gives you a 1 in 5 chance of stealing one of their items. Combine the innocents, and start again. This is a bit of a slog but its the fastest way to farm innocents and even from a low level starting innocent, you'll only need to do 11 clones to get for example a level 19998 gladiator, and at that point you can start farming them by the bucket load for all your characters

This last point isn't really essential unless you want to challenge baal and some of the higher level pirates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Are there any mods I just need for Just Cause 2 before I start playing?

This one is absolutely essential.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shakugan posted:

I bought Fallout 3 GOTYE for PC ages ago, but never really played it since I stuffed up installing a bunch of mods. Does anyone have a guide that explicitly outlines what mods should be installed to make the experience better (and how to install them etc)? Or should I just play vanilla?

When you get to doing the Pitt, get a walkthrough and find all the bars. The reward is okay, but the actual process of gathering them is possibly the best part of that game.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

And the reward for 50 bars is probably one of the most OP weapons in the game if you use it right. Oh god the sneak attack damage

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Shakugan posted:

I bought Fallout 3 GOTYE for PC ages ago, but never really played it since I stuffed up installing a bunch of mods. Does anyone have a guide that explicitly outlines what mods should be installed to make the experience better (and how to install them etc)? Or should I just play vanilla?

There's a radio mod (available here) that adds 100 more tracks to the radio. If you like the old-timey radio stuff as an aspect of the game, it's good to pick up. I think the original soundtrack is like 12 songs, which without this mod really overstay their welcome on a 40-60 hour game.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 4, 2013

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Yeah that's about the only thing I would mod for FO3. Maybe something to make the super high level mutants/ghouls/radscorpions a little less bullet-spongey.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Finally getting around to playing old adventure games. Anyone have anything for Beneath a Steel Sky?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Sociopastry posted:

Finally getting around to playing old adventure games. Anyone have anything for Beneath a Steel Sky?

Beneath a Steel Sky: This is one of those adventure game where you can die, so save a lot. It isn't a sierra game though, so a lot of the deaths can be avoided with common sense, and being vigilant.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sociopastry posted:

Keep in mind that a lot of the puzzles involving people require you to screw them over as a distraction so you can achieve your own goals. Look for the best way to achieve this.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

So I just beat Hitman: Blood Money and now I'm going back to play the original, Hitman: Codename 47. Is there anything important to know or expect? I understand that Blood Money is considered the best in the series, so I'm expecting a drop off in quality.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

So I just beat Hitman: Blood Money and now I'm going back to play the original, Hitman: Codename 47. Is there anything important to know or expect? I understand that Blood Money is considered the best in the series, so I'm expecting a drop off in quality.

You're going to get a huge drop in quality. Blood Money practically perfected the formula Silent Assassin and Contracts built. Contracts, the game before Blood Money, is basically a remake of the original game so if Codename 47 doesn't appeal to you you should probably skip it. It otherwise plays similar to the pre-Absolution games but the levels and missions aren't up to Blood Money's quality so expect a lot of trial and error restarting. Everything that applies to Blood Money largely applies to Codename 47.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
A note on Fallout 3: You might want to get a user interface replacement mod. The interface of the game was designed with consoles in mind so it looks a bit too big and clunky on a pc monitor up close.

For your first playthrough you probably want to play without any major gameplay-changing mods. There's a few texture packs and custom shaders that make the game look a lot better though so you might want to look into those.

EDIT: Heh, I noticed that the first post I made in this thread was also about Fallout 3. Where have those three years gone...

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
It's been a while since I played FO3 and I'm not entirely sure, but with how NV was after all the DLC in mind, one mod that might be worth considering even on a first playthrough could be a slower leveling mod.

If you're really exploring and backtracking a lot and taking the game slowly, you will level up much faster than you're supposed to, and the DLCs don't help (even if they raise the level cap), so there are mods that just flat out reduce the number of XPs you gain for anything by a certain factor.

E: It obviously depends on how you play the game though. If you usually just blast through everything you'll likely not need it, but if you're like me, who spent ~100 hours on his first playthrough of NV (and that was before any DLC), you will need slower leveling or you'll hit the level cap when you're only 50% done with the main storyline.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 5, 2013

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Beyond what al-azad said, Codename 47 also requires some work to get running on modern systems. It's one of those games that can't handle modern processors and runs at 500% speed without a workaround. And I doubt it's really worth the effort fixing that. I love the Hitman series, but the second game (Silent Assassin) was such a huge improvement that it made the first game pretty much obsolete.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Burning Mustache posted:

It's been a while since I played FO3 and I'm not entirely sure, but with how NV was after all the DLC in mind, one mod that might be worth considering even on a first playthrough could be a slower leveling mod.

Similarly, there are mods that delay the activation of various DLC content until certain thresholds in the games storyline. These are Good Mods, since you can turn on the DLC right off the bat without getting bombarded by radio broadcasts about new areas that you probably shouldn't go to at level 1 the moment you step out of the vault.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Hong Kong levels are worth playing but the jungle levels after them are just dreadful. Find a way to skip those because the hotel in Budapest is easily the best mission of the game and was pretty drat awesome back then. As the others said, Contracts remade all the good levels, but they still have kind of historic value in their original form.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 5, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I picked up the PS3 version of Alpha Protocol based off of the multitude of goon recommendations in the Steam thread. Is there anything I should know that isn't already in the wiki?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I picked up the PS3 version of Alpha Protocol based off of the multitude of goon recommendations in the Steam thread. Is there anything I should know that isn't already in the wiki?

Putting points into pistols and stealth is basically god mode. Not sure if this is in the wiki, but in the word search-style hacking minigame, try unfocusing your eyes, it'll make the number combinations that aren't changing much more obvious.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Those are good tips on the wiki (Alpha Protocol), but it seems like a lot more than you should worry about on the first time through. Here's a few general tips:

-Choose whatever dialog choices you want. Some people are bound to dislike you, other will like you. You can get bonuses for either option, and the story will adapt to whatever you throw at it -- you really aren't penalized either way. Also, don't be afraid to manipulate people by acting a certain way (if you know they respond well to a certain attitude, etc.).

-The non-dialog gameplay is so-so. If you don't care about achievements, there's no point playing it on hard (the controls aren't that great and it's frustrating as hell).

-Make whatever kind of character you want (though it's always a good idea to have at least one long-range weapon and put a few levels into it -- either pistol or assault rifle). Stealth and pistols become unstoppable later on, but everything is viable and every skill sucks until you level it up.

-Occasionally, certain missions will have the alpha protocol symbol on them. That means it's a final mission for the area -- make sure you've finished the other available missions first (if you feel like doing them) or they'll be gone.

-If you buy items (like emp grenades), you have to equip them before starting a mission to be able to use them.

-Make some different save slots during the last mission. There's a stupid part where you can easily miss something and you may want to re-do it.

-Seriously, play however you want. If you enjoy the game, you'll definitely play it more than once!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I got it as a 'gift' from my housemate so she could pretend that she'd never bought it and it hadn't completely kicked her rear end, so does anyone have any basic tips for Etrian Odyssey III?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I made this image back around when the game came out because I'm a huge dork.

The gigantic crosshair is bullshit. I don't know the under-the-hood details but it basically represents random spread whenever you fire. If the entire mass of your opponent doesn't fill up majority of the crosshair, you will miss majority of the time even if it only appears you're 10 feet away. Alternatively, pistols and rifles have a critical shot where the crosshair focuses. This is 100% accurate and inflicts increased damage. This is your one-hit auto-kill headshot and why the pistol is stupidly powerful in addition to being silenced, tranq, and the freeze time shot ability.

If you're out of crit range then zoom in and aim center mass. Headshots really don't mean anything unless it's a crit so don't even take the penalty to accuracy by aiming for the head.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Colon V posted:

I got it as a 'gift' from my housemate so she could pretend that she'd never bought it and it hadn't completely kicked her rear end, so does anyone have any basic tips for Etrian Odyssey III?
You will have an A team of guys who kick rear end, but consider having a B team of farmers (give them the combat study skill so that they level up even when you don't use them) to go in, gather from gathering points, and come back to sell the stuff. You don't want to waste points on gathering skills for your main team, this helps a lot with money--especially early on when every ariadne thread hurts your wallet.

Also, you should have a prince/ss, monk, or both. This game is hard, and lots of healing eases the burden a lot. People swear by Hoplites, but I hate pure tank units and made it through the entire main game without one, so eh.

Consider Googling/GameFAQsing for some really good class/subclass combinations. You unlock subclasses at some point after the second stratum, and the only difference between a subclass and a main class is that you can't get the class's unique skill for your subclass. For example, Ninja/Zodiac is a fun combination, because the ninja's class skill reduces TP usage, and the Zodiac has a skill that lets an entire row use skills for free for a turn. It's normally expensive, but with the ninja's TP reduction, you can cast it for...if I remember correctly, 2 TP a pop. You can have a nigh-infinite TP battery that lets your nukes like Warriors and Arbalests use their most expensive skills willy-nilly.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Persona 4: Golden has officially become a reason to pick up a Vita for me. It looks like a lot of fun, and the existing wiki article seems like it covers the gameplay elements clearly enough.

What I want to know about it, though: Do you need to play the other games in the series to know what the hell is going on? Or, does it explain all of the recurring themes (whatever they are) in the series and is otherwise self-contained? This would be a tremendous plus.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
You do not need to play any other Persona (or any SMT) games to enjoy P4. There are a couple references and little things, especially to P3, but nothing terribly significant.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's standalone, though some of the plot in the True Ending is a little hard to understand if you aren't aware of previous events. I'd recommend picking up Persona 3 Portable though and playing that first, maybe, if just because it's also really good and to my knowledge has gameplay things missing from P4 that you'd miss if you'd ever want to go back.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Before I start Resident Evil...SIX, what should I know, specifically regarding how to quickly take out j'avo? In the demo they were quite tough, coming from RE5 where everything died to kneecap>straight>curb stomp.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Colon V posted:

Use gamefaqs for the sea chart unless you want to frustrate yourself. The stuff you get for reaching new islands is just money anyway, equipment is gotten from the quests you unlock after reaching each new island. Each of those quests is just a boss battle, and the gear rewards are respective of the level you'll probably be when you're strong enough to beat whichever quest, so it's not like you're unlocking endgame weapons or something.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
Playing Tales of graces f, just got the airship and am bumming about finishing sidequests. Any hints or combat tips to make the most of this break in the plot?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Polite Tim posted:

Playing Tales of graces f, just got the airship and am bumming about finishing sidequests. Any hints or combat tips to make the most of this break in the plot?

I completed this a few months ago, and I've just read through the beforeiplay entry, but I can't think of anything you should be focusing on. The main story arc doesn't contain any nasty surprises as far as I can remember, so just do what you like.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Anything for Kinetic Void? Because I can't figure out how to attach engines at a sensible angle or anything.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Picked up the A House Divided Expansion for Victoria 2. I played Victoria 2 vanilla a bit before getting bored with it, but it was a while ago. Mainly I'm looking for things that I should know about how the expansion changed the game and how to play with it, but I'm also rusty on the game in general, so basically any first-time tips for the game in its present state would be appreciated!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm playing Yakuza 3, and the wiki talks about unlocking guard breaks as soon as possible. But it's not immediately obvious to me what that entails; the four stat groups seem to only tell you the next move they unlock, not all of the potential future moves. So how do I know which one to focus on? Should I just spread the points out evenly?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Nate RFB posted:

I'm playing Yakuza 3, and the wiki talks about unlocking guard breaks as soon as possible. But it's not immediately obvious to me what that entails; the four stat groups seem to only tell you the next move they unlock, not all of the potential future moves. So how do I know which one to focus on? Should I just spread the points out evenly?
You should look up a FAQ/walkthrough but each of the four upgrade paths have a different character to the types of moves they give. Generally at the beginning focus on anything but the "body" one. Later on you'll end up spreading the points around pretty equally but the game is more fun earlier if you avoid increasing body.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I did look through some of the update paths, but none of the levels seem to involve guarding besides Mind lvl 6 and Body lvl 5. So Guard Breaking is unlocked some other way?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Nate RFB posted:

I did look through some of the update paths, but none of the levels seem to involve guarding besides Mind lvl 6 and Body lvl 5. So Guard Breaking is unlocked some other way?
Looking again at a walkthrough I think both Mind and Body are pretty passive-style unlocks while Technique and Mastery give you more active combat options. There are other ways to unlock moves such as "revelations" where you capture a crazy moment on your cell phone camera and then blog about it (seriously).

Don't sweat it too much as the combat in the game really isn't that hard, it just takes quite a few hours for the "tutorial" to end. I'd only revise to say stay away from Mind and Body initially and upgrade the other two stats to get more combat options that make the game a little more fun sooner. There's no real way to screw yourself when upgrading.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
What mod(s) should I install for Knights of the Old Republic 2? I loathe fanmade content, and don't need graphical upgrades of any sort (not even widescreen). Something along the lines of Wesp patch for Bloodlines without the Plus content would be nice.

Project1 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 15, 2013

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Project1 posted:

What mod(s) should I install for Knights of the Old Republic 2? I loathe fanmade content, and don't need graphical upgrades of any sort (not even widescreen). Something along the lines of Wesp patch for Bloodlines without the Plus content would be nice.

Just grab the restored content mod. That's all you'll need.

Edit: Download link; http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Hey, gonna try out some Galactic Civilizations, any super cool tips? I've been playing a bit on beginner and not got in a fight yet.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

gender illusionist posted:

Hey, gonna try out some Galactic Civilizations, any super cool tips? I've been playing a bit on beginner and not got in a fight yet.

First of all, this is a really awesome game. If you can overlook the lack of flashy graphics, it will suck you in.

The most important thing, IHMO, is; in a vanilla game, you pretty much have to be good. Supposedly, you have a choice of good, neutral, or evil alignments. However, there is no reason at all to be neutral, so don't. And, there's a galactic event which causes a chunk of each evil empire's planets to rebel and become 'Fundamentalists'. There is no way to foresee or prevent this, and it's a crushing blow that you will probably not recover from. You can edit the INI files to prevent this from happening (I forget exactly how) but for now, just choose the good alignment choices.

Trade is important. Research is very important. War is bad, but don't give in to bullying. Oh, and influence is very very important. In any sector you have planets in, if an alien civ's influence is greater than yours, drop everything and build influence boosting buildings.

Starbases are really, really important! They can give boosts to planet production, ship combat, and influence. You don't have to build them on a resource, but it's best to if you can. Also never build +influence starbases in the same sector as an alien's planets; they will get mad and demand you hand it over, and start a war if you don't. Building one in an adjacent sector, however, will not raise complaints, and will often be enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Going to be starting Star Ocean 4 soon, any tips? I've already prepared myself for terrible voice acting and a story that could be dumb.