Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megadrive
Sep 6, 2011

cname posted:

WHAT?! What horrible skate shop wouldn't let you return a board you broke trying to ollie/shuvit?! That thing is a piece of poo poo and they should at least let you pick out a new deck, free of charge.

If you've thrashed it time after time, that's one thing. If it broke/cracked from a couple attempts at tricks, you should totally be able to return it. Obviously skate shops don't have to honor any sort of return policy, but the good ones will cut you some slack if it's a genuinely lovely/faulty product.

Like XIII said, I've damaged the tails underneath by popping it while trying to do tricks on it/accidentally skating into stuff. It's not snapped or anything crazy like that. :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
yeah i get pretty bummed when i can't return a board i can't land a trick on or get pissed off and focus too

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Megadrive posted:

Like XIII said, I've damaged the tails underneath by popping it while trying to do tricks on it/accidentally skating into stuff. It's not snapped or anything crazy like that. :p

Oh, ok, so it's pretty definitely your fault then and not just a defunct deck.

maffew buildings posted:

yeah i get pretty bummed when i can't return a board i can't land a trick on or get pissed off and focus too

This looks like it was written by a 1st grader in computer keyboarding class, so I can't tell if it's a snaky comment against the claim I made, or what.

Either way, I typically buy my gear from Eastern Border in Nashua NH. One of the decks I bought got a pressure crack after a day's worth of skating. I showed it to them, showed them my receipt to prove that it's roughly a day old and they let me pick out a new deck. I shop there fairly often, so they know I'm not a con artist or anything like that. Plus, it had no other signs of abuse/damage aside from that pressure crack.

I think it's a fair policy. A board should be durable enough to ride and/or do tricks on. After a couple days, it's more or less your problem.

cname fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 7, 2013

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWgMkfYSjrQ

Bones' New Ground out on youtube and it is the dopest

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
In other youtube news someone finally broke 200 dollars on the Shredit Cards series

http://youtu.be/v1a_1-YegVk

Hard to argue against it, but you could argue some of the other guys who got close should've got it too. The whole top 5 they link to at the end of the video is just mindblowing. That any of those guys are still amateurs blows my mind.

Slap Dizzy
Jun 26, 2009

So, I've bought a Mindless Rogue for my brother as a birthday present, he's never had a board before, so I chose this pintail beginner board. I took him for some downhill riding and the first thing I noticed was how slow that board is compared to my Tan Tien. My question here is, if I want to increase the performance which upgrade is most cost-effective, taking in account below listed setups - trucks, wheels or bearings?

My setup:

Deck - Loaded Tan Tien
Trucks - Paris 180's
Wheels - O'Tang Stimulus 70mm, 83a
Bearings - Loaded Jehu w/ spacers

His setup:

Deck - Mindless Rogue
Trucks - No brand, 150mm
Wheels - Mindless 70mm, 80a
Bearings - ABEC-5 (608ZZ) w/ spacers

Thanks

Slap Dizzy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 16, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Is there no Snowboarding thread?

I saw what I (a complete idiot with next to zero prior knowledge about snowboarding) thought was a nice board at a 2nd hand shop and I kinda want to know if I should be afraid of it or any of my other gear. My gut says everythings cool but...yeah.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

It's in GBS. They're pretty friendly in there.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWgMkfYSjrQ

Bones' New Ground out on youtube and it is the dopest

ben raybourn: super gnarly, or a cry for help?

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 28, 2013

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

maffew buildings posted:

ben raybourn: super gnarly, or a cry for help?

I never really thought about it but now I'm leaning towards "cry for help". Add Aaron "Jaws" Homoki to that list as well.

So Santa Cruz has done a limited run of Lil' Wayne decks based on the Slasher graphic. I'm finding a hard time believing there is much overlap between the groups of people who like Lil' Wayne and the groups of people who are familiar with the Slasher graphic.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

being convinced i'm going to see one of those dude's die has taken some of the enjoyment out of watching them skate

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

just watched Aaron "Jaws" Homoki's part in "A Happy Medium 2"...there were multiple points I was yelling at the TV "No Aaron don't jump off of that don't do it!"

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
Are there any Euro goonskaters in here? I got tickets to the Munich X Games this year for Thursday for some park and vert action, and also Saturday's BMX session. :woop:

Anyone else going and up for hanging out / beers / Lederhosen slap dancing whatever? I'm pretty much going to be hanging with an old friend from Munich but it would be cool to meet some new faces too.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I can't stop watching Aimless: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn6fwGMDqn0

It's March in Canada and the weather is nothing but a bitch tease. Skated some hills and did some street on the few decent days but I can never limber up to fully enjoy it. I'm starting to get that daily itch again and I can't scratch it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
:stare: WHY WAS THERE A BIKE IN MY SKATE VID! That video is really cool thanks for posting. I hope to see more stuff done like that.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Skategoons, I'm looking for a longboard with at least one kick, but it also has to be a pretty wide board. I'm 6'7" and ~260 so my stance and feet are both big. I've currently got a Gravity 47" Hyper Carve and use it for what little hills there are around here, but I never really feel truly comfortable on it. I'm fine with the wheelbase but it just feels too thin under my feet. I tend to ride with my left foot forward-ish and my right more perpendicular to the board; right now my foot's hanging pretty far off of either side and it bugs me.
I'd like something I can use to carve some smaller hills, try to start sliding with, and maybe even throw in the occasional ollie. This isn't gonna be a daily commuter, but turning decently is always a plus. I also feel more comfortable on boards that don't have a lot of flex or concave.
There's this from Earthwing: http://earthwingskates.com/products/decks-a-completes.html#!/~/product/category=2171079&id=9127259
Width seems great but the wheelbase is much smaller than I'm used to, I dunno.
I also kinda like the overall shape of this dude's:
http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboard-board-building-q-discussions/81702-single-kick-surf-cruiser.html

Any suggestions?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Earthwings are fantastic but the Hightailer is a HUGE board. If you're not already very good at ollieing and used to big, heavy decks, you're going to have a lot of trouble. The Comet Ethos fits your description except it may be a bit narrow and have a little more concave than you'd like.
Check out the Earthwing Jesus Paves, its get very flat concave and should be a good size for you.
Keep in mind a longer wheelbase will be easier to learn to slide on, but will decrease your turn radius. Shorter wheelbase will make it turnier and twitchier but you'll have a lot more grip.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Sweet.
Jesus Paves looks excellent, and at a good price too. Definitely gonna consider that, thanks!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

been watching old Ricky Oyola video parts, that dudes style makes me want to get out there and skate more than any of the new videos. oyola is sick, it's unfortunate he never got more due because he never came to California. those east coast dudes just have such great style. I want to go skate a bump to piece of discarded furniture now

FuncType
Mar 29, 2007

Tactical Wiener Lover
Sup skategoons. I impulse bought a longboard the other day after not having touched any form of wheeled board in quite a few years. I picked up an Arbor Axis Bamboo from a local skate shop I noticed while passing by for what I think was probably a raping at $200. After rolling around a parking lot for 10m and noticing that I didn't bail onto my face it seemed like the best pick of the ones the guy at the counter let me trial ride. Skip forward a day and I found a parking lot with a pretty solid grade at a local park and proceeded to get my skate on. After this experience I can confidently say that I don't think I ever want to get on a bike again. This is WAY more fun to get around on.

Now that I've got myself good and worked up - is there any subset of information I should have to keep moving forward? The goal is to get out and at least hit a parking lot to build my balance up every day that I can from here to infinity.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

zycl0n posted:

Sup skategoons. I impulse bought a longboard the other day after not having touched any form of wheeled board in quite a few years. I picked up an Arbor Axis Bamboo from a local skate shop I noticed while passing by for what I think was probably a raping at $200. After rolling around a parking lot for 10m and noticing that I didn't bail onto my face it seemed like the best pick of the ones the guy at the counter let me trial ride. Skip forward a day and I found a parking lot with a pretty solid grade at a local park and proceeded to get my skate on. After this experience I can confidently say that I don't think I ever want to get on a bike again. This is WAY more fun to get around on.

Now that I've got myself good and worked up - is there any subset of information I should have to keep moving forward? The goal is to get out and at least hit a parking lot to build my balance up every day that I can from here to infinity.

You should probably throw yourself into some powerslides just to get a real good feel for them, as they'll become the most ideal method of emergency braking if you're cruising along at 20 MPH and a car cuts you off. Learning powerslides will certainly help your balance improve, too.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...

Slap Dizzy posted:

So, I've bought a Mindless Rogue for my brother as a birthday present, he's never had a board before, so I chose this pintail beginner board. I took him for some downhill riding and the first thing I noticed was how slow that board is compared to my Tan Tien. My question here is, if I want to increase the performance which upgrade is most cost-effective, taking in account below listed setups - trucks, wheels or bearings?

My setup:

Deck - Loaded Tan Tien
Trucks - Paris 180's
Wheels - O'Tang Stimulus 70mm, 83a
Bearings - Loaded Jehu w/ spacers

His setup:

Deck - Mindless Rogue
Trucks - No brand, 150mm
Wheels - Mindless 70mm, 80a
Bearings - ABEC-5 (608ZZ) w/ spacers

Thanks

In my experiences it'd be either bearings or wheels. If you were to up the bearings, I'd get something at least above ABEC-7, but no need to go with ceramics or something super high-end like that. You can get cheap DBS bearings for under $10 and they work pretty well and they're cheap enough that you don't feel bad about replacing them as opposed to cleaning them. As far as wheels go, wheels on the smaller side tend to accelerate better but wheels on the larger side tend to hold their speed better so if you're thinking of doing some longer downhill runs, having wheels bigger than 75mm can definitely help and give you a more noticeable difference more immediately. Wheels are going to be the pricier option definitely. Bearings is probably a good place to start for now. Hope this helps.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
ABEC rating means literally nothing in skateboarding. Its just a rating of potential rotational speed and life based on that and the side-loads in skating throw all that out the window.
Also, buy Magic Bearings. Cheap, good bearings, owned and run by an awesome skater I know out in California. Help a 22-year old make a living and support his love.
Cheap thane will make soft wheels feel horribly slow, so its likely that though.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Any suggestions on where to buy a decent complete for $60-80 in NYC? Is that doable, or is it too low for anything but Craigslist?

(looking for I guess a "standard" board, i.e. symmetrical and curves up at both ends. So not a Penny or a longboard or a crazy retro thing)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

abraham linksys posted:

Any suggestions on where to buy a decent complete for $60-80 in NYC? Is that doable, or is it too low for anything but Craigslist?

(looking for I guess a "standard" board, i.e. symmetrical and curves up at both ends. So not a Penny or a longboard or a crazy retro thing)

Sounds more like a Craigslist price... even if you bought a shop blank (typically $30 or more,) trucks are still gonna be $40, blank wheels $30, bearings at least $10, and you're at $110 right there if they're nice and don't charge you for grip tape/hardware. A name-brand complete at my local shop usually runs around $150.

Edit: Actually, you can get a blank complete from CCS for $80.99 with quality parts. Just go to their Skateboard Builder, get a Powell blank deck (complete starts at $69.99), Independent stage 11 trucks that match the width of the deck you chose (adds $11), any wheels that add $0.00 to the price (can't go wrong with Spitfire or Bones), and the free Shorty's hardware package. That's really about as good a deal for quality parts as you'll get anywhere these days. I used to pay more for blank completes 10 years ago.

Edit2: Whatever you do, do not buy ANYTHING from their "Complete Skateboards" category. This is clearly for parents of 12-year old kids who want a skateboard for Christmas/Easter/their birthday, but "not one of those crappy Wal-Mart skateboards."

enojy fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 1, 2013

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

enojy posted:

Edit2: Whatever you do, do not buy ANYTHING from their "Complete Skateboards" category. This is clearly for parents of 12-year old kids who want a skateboard for Christmas/Easter/their birthday, but "not one of those crappy Wal-Mart skateboards."

:ohdear: I didn't know there was actually anything in-between between "Wal-Mart" and "skate shop." Just assumed that once you were paying more than $50 for a board it would probably be something usable.

I might be able to do $90-100, but definitely not more than that. Would like to buy local if possible so I could get a feel for the board before buying, but I'll keep CCS in mind.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

abraham linksys posted:

:ohdear: I didn't know there was actually anything in-between between "Wal-Mart" and "skate shop." Just assumed that once you were paying more than $50 for a board it would probably be something usable.

I guess there is, nowadays! The decks in that Complete Skateboards category, such as Plan B, Blind, and Enjoi are reputable (at least they were when I used to skate regularly,) but I noticed they put some real cheap looking trucks and no-name bearings on there, which is always a red flag. For example, the Blind complete comes with "Blind trucks," and Blind never made trucks.

You may be able to swing $90-100 at a local shop for a complete with a blank/shop-branded deck; it's worth a shot to stop by and find out. The good news is, you probably can't go wrong with parts bought from a local skate shop, as they typically aren't in the business of selling cheap poo poo.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

abraham linksys posted:

Please tell me about your avatar.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

just check out your local shop, sometimes you can get a complete on the cheap with a team deck that they didn't sell enough of. i got a setup for like $100 with a habitat "inhabitants" video commemoration deck nobody wanted to buy. jokes on them habitat decks are still super dope even if it's a goofy video commemoration board

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If you could get a decent complete deck for 75 dollars but the graphic was a completely erect penis...would you buy it?

Ethnicity is your choice, portion of balls included.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

You are going to sticker and grind the hell out of the graphic, who cares!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

If you could get a decent complete deck for 75 dollars but the graphic was a completely erect penis...would you buy it?

I'd feel like a chump because I've been paying a local artist top dollar to put that graphic on my deck for years.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

toy machine completes aren't that cheap are they?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Zigmidge posted:

You are going to sticker and grind the hell out of the graphic, who cares!

Trying to hide it would be worse. People would wonder if you have issues with penises or bought it while drunk and showing you real feelings and whatnot.

Alright sub question how about if it was your own equipment but now its 50 bucks. Id do it.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

do i get my choice of trucks, bearings and wheels? can i slide the hell out of it on the curb outside the shop until it's all unrecognizable?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You guys joke but I was flipping through this month's Thrasher and came across this 1031 add:
:nws: http://imgur.com/oqZgCAz]:nws:

I also learned there is a handle you can by for your board now: http://www.sk8strap.com/

In the old days we would use bike inner tubes kind of like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7oRhbvuYGE

I think my last go with an inner tube involved hanging the nose up on the deck of a 6' half doing a backside ollie air.

edit: I should NWS the dick board.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 6, 2013

Slap Dizzy
Jun 26, 2009

FoxxorTheRed posted:

In my experiences it'd be either bearings or wheels. If you were to up the bearings, I'd get something at least above ABEC-7, but no need to go with ceramics or something super high-end like that. You can get cheap DBS bearings for under $10 and they work pretty well and they're cheap enough that you don't feel bad about replacing them as opposed to cleaning them. As far as wheels go, wheels on the smaller side tend to accelerate better but wheels on the larger side tend to hold their speed better so if you're thinking of doing some longer downhill runs, having wheels bigger than 75mm can definitely help and give you a more noticeable difference more immediately. Wheels are going to be the pricier option definitely. Bearings is probably a good place to start for now. Hope this helps.

Thanks! I'll look into that.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Trying to hide it would be worse. People would wonder if you have issues with penises or bought it while drunk and showing you real feelings and whatnot.

Alright sub question how about if it was your own equipment but now its 50 bucks. Id do it.

I'd definitely buy it if it was made by a quality deck manufacturer, but mainly because it panders my sense of humor, which is largely "yeah it's a dick and balls, who gives a poo poo?"

Plus, yeah, if the glans and balls were on the nose and tail respectively, it'd be unrecognizable in under a month... unless it was an actual photograph close-up of a dick and balls, in which case, there's probably no mistaking what was once the untarnished graphic on the board. I'm putting too much thought into this.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

...or not enough. Go deeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Yeeee, got my EW Crewzer all set up again. Indys and ~61mm Venom Sidewinders.
I really wish I had the money to get another downhill deck already