Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

slothrop posted:

Can't you just put new seats in it? I guess I understand if you can't/don't want to spend the extra bucks?

Seats in street cars now all have airbags in them. You can't get that in an aftermarket product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Franco Caution posted:

I really hope the next WRX and STI come with some form of better seats. Or at least the option for better seats as some package.
I was really close to picking up a 2012 STI until I test drove and EVO X for comparison reasons and fell in love with the Recaro seats.
I would have ended up with the EVO if it wasnt for the fact the local mitsu dealership was terrible and I would have needed to travel a long distance if I ever needed service.

The STI spec R has Recaro seats. It's the only thing it has over the regular STI, really. Do they not sell that model in your country?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

CharlesM posted:

Seats in street cars now all have airbags in them. You can't get that in an aftermarket product.

What? I've never heard of an airbag in the seats themselves. If they expanded, they'd propel you forward, toward the crash area...?!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Midniter posted:

What? I've never heard of an airbag in the seats themselves. If they expanded, they'd propel you forward, toward the crash area...?!

They're curtain airbags that blow out of the side of the seat, towards the doors, for safety in t-bone collisions.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Recaro posted:

RECARO Automotive Seating is the first and only manufacturer in the world to offer aftermarket seats with a universal side airbag.
From: http://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/company/expertise/safety.html

I think it might be the Ergomed line? I don't know, but apparently they exist.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Powershift posted:

Does anyone else see a ford puma concept in that eclipse?

A: that's a Racing Puma, not a concept, I believe, and B: they might look similar in those two pictures, taken from different angles, but the actual cars look very different.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Laserface posted:

The STI spec R has Recaro seats. It's the only thing it has over the regular STI, really. Do they not sell that model in your country?

US gets WRX STI and WRX STI Limited. To the best of my knowledge there is no Spec R.
From what I remember the seat in the WRX and the STI are the same outside of the stitching of 'WRX' and 'STI' on the tops.

The STI starts at $37600 for the limited. There is no way Im switching out seats on my own with aftermarket ones on a brand new car. I shouldnt have to either.

And yes, lots of seats have airbags in them.

SUBARU posted:

The focus on passive safety is an integral part of the Subaru offering and always will be, even for the most high-performing vehicles in the line-up. This is the reason why the Subaru WRX and WRX STI both feature a full complement of supplemental restraints, including dual-stage deployment front airbags, front seat-mounted side-impact airbags, and side-curtain airbags for front and rear outboard occupants

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Oh good, another BMW designed exclusively for the douche market:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/04/bmw-x4-concept-images-leak-ahead-of-shanghai-debut/

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

blk posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/04/bmw-x4-concept-images-leak-ahead-of-shanghai-debut/

Needs some

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Franco Caution posted:

US gets WRX STI and WRX STI Limited. To the best of my knowledge there is no Spec R.
From what I remember the seat in the WRX and the STI are the same outside of the stitching of 'WRX' and 'STI' on the tops.

The STI starts at $37600 for the limited. There is no way Im switching out seats on my own with aftermarket ones on a brand new car. I shouldnt have to either.

And yes, lots of seats have airbags in them.

One of the first things to go when bringing a model to the states is performance seats. The reason is quite simply that Americans are too fat to fit in many of them, and forcing dealers to offer two different sets of seats for a niche model is too difficult.

See also, the hand-wringing over offering a proper performance seat in the Corvette recently.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

One of the first things to go when bringing a model to the states is performance seats. The reason is quite simply that Americans are too fat to fit in many of them, and forcing dealers to offer two different sets of seats for a niche model is too difficult.

See also, the hand-wringing over offering a proper performance seat in the Corvette recently.

Australians are fat too, do they get nice seats?

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Cream_Filling posted:

My friend's evo 8 was really uncomfortable for me. Im not fat, but my shoulders are too broad to comfortably sit back into the recaros :(

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

sim posted:

From: http://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/company/expertise/safety.html

I think it might be the Ergomed line? I don't know, but apparently they exist.

That's cool, I wouldn't have expected there to be a universal aftermarket airbag.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CharlesM posted:

That's cool, I wouldn't have expected there to be a universal aftermarket airbag.

I sure as gently caress wouldn't trust it to cover what needs to be covered in a side impact.

edit: provided it deploys correctly and everything

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

blk posted:

Christ, how many CUV's does BMW need? What purpose does it serve them to sell this along with the X1, X3, and 3 series GT?

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 4, 2013

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

The Midniter posted:

My 90s Nissan after a side impact

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Augmented Dickey posted:

Christ, how many CUV's does BMW need?

As long as BMW keeps making interesting things, I don't really give a gently caress how many CUVs they make. They sell like crazy. It's tough for me to be critical of them going after that market.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

blk posted:

I can't remember the last one that wasn't...

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Speaking of BMW and I'm kind of late to this but what is the AI consensus on the newest 3 Series? A lot of people say BMW has made a good car for the money but it's objectively worse than their older gen 3 Series models which were more engaging, lighter and nimble. The ATS is being hailed as the new 3 Series in some circles.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

VanNuys posted:

My friend's evo 8 was really uncomfortable for me. Im not fat, but my shoulders are too broad to comfortably sit back into the recaros :(

The Neon SRT-4 seats were even worse. I think the older Vipers use the same thing? Always on my mind as another thing to make you feel uncomfortable when driving the viper.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

As long as BMW keeps making interesting things, I don't really give a gently caress how many CUVs they make. They sell like crazy. It's tough for me to be critical of them going after that market.

That's the thing. Apart from the 3/4 and 5 series, what modern BMW is interesting?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Z4 is pretty good, the M cars are still good, and the 1 is pretty good.

Edit: and it's not like that's different from past history. BMW made about two, maybe three interesting things at any given time period in its history.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
I honestly completely forgot about the Z4. It's not a bad car but has grown way too much over the years. The Ms are a given and the 1 is good but not stellar, especially with the departure of the 1M. The M Coupe, 6, 7, and 8 series, not to mention the Z8 were all once gorgeous vehicles but I really believe the competition currently offers better models.

I have nothing against CUVs but I believe they are chasing niches that don't even exist when they could be throwing all that R&D towards their established models.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Very few of the things you posted were concurrently good.

In terms of R&D, there does come a point where incremental dollars don't have much of an impact on the final product. Do you think they really shorted new 3 or 5 series development? I'm not sure throwing more money at either of those cars would have made a marked improvement. If anything, enthusiasts are going to complain that the philosophy behind the new 3 was not correct, and no amount of money is going to change that.

BMW basically has more money than they know what to do with at this point. If anything, they should be chasing some weird niches for incremental sales.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 5, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Has anyone ever found or talked to a person who bought an X6 and asked them why? I mean I see them all over the place but there must be an explanation somewhere for why it exists, or is forcing someone to admit to their own douchebaggery just too awkward?

I mean I can come up with a perfectly reasonable explanation for why someone would buy, say, the Pontiac Aztek - it's a boxy minivan with lots of plastic side cladding for minor offroad skirmishing, with plenty of interior room, even has this neat tent. Yeah it looks kind of stupid but I don't care about looks. There, done.

The X6? I'm baffled.

I recently found out the Z4 has gone to automatic trans only? Eh, guess I'll be driving Miatas forever. :effort:

Here's a bunch of people talking about the Viper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-ItYO0LoMU

It is revealed that the ATS was originally going to be a FWD derivative of the Cobalt.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/front-wheel-drive-cadillac-ats-it-almost-happened-57415.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/03/cadillac-ats-was-almost-front-wheel-drive/

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 5, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DerDestroyer posted:

Speaking of BMW and I'm kind of late to this but what is the AI consensus on the newest 3 Series? A lot of people say BMW has made a good car for the money but it's objectively worse than their older gen 3 Series models which were more engaging, lighter and nimble. The ATS is being hailed as the new 3 Series in some circles.

BMW has been moving from sporty handling, fun to drive basic everyday cars towards the luxury car market for years and years. Every iteration of the 3-series has been given more comfort features, a plusher ride and so on compared to its predecessor. The E30 and E36 were driving machines, no frills motoring for enthusiasts mostly. The current 3-series is basically a sportier-driving choice for C-series customers.

You can see it in the evolution of the M cars. The original M3 was raw, focused and edgy. The modern M3 is still hella fast and well setup, but it's also softer and more practical for more of the time.

For BMW, that's a good thing. They're selling heaps more cars now than they ever did as a dedicated enthusiast brand. Although it does sadden me that the days are gone, when a 316 or 318 was an affordable choice for someone who wanted a well-handling everyday car.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 5, 2013

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Throatwarbler posted:

Has anyone ever found or talked to a person who bought an X6 and asked them why? I mean I see them all over the place but there must be an explanation somewhere for why it exists, or is forcing someone to admit to their own douchebaggery just too awkward?

I mean I can come up with a perfectly reasonable explanation for why someone would buy, say, the Pontiac Aztek - it's a boxy minivan with lots of plastic side cladding for minor offroad skirmishing, with plenty of interior room, even has this neat tent. Yeah it looks kind of stupid but I don't care about looks. There, done.

The X6? I'm baffled.

The demographic here of the X6 and other vehicles like it are heavily Asian, not sure why but it seems to meet whatever requirements they have for a vehicle. Status and a bit of utility? Apparent safety and higher seating position?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It shows you have more money than those filthy proles piloting X5s

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

D C posted:

Apparent safety and higher seating position?

Pretty much that with an added dose of, "it's not too aggressive."

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Throatwarbler posted:

The X6? I'm baffled.
I know several people with X6s and they all say "it looks cool".

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I think the X6 looks pretty cool and I would drive the poo poo out of one if I didn't prefer sedans. It has a great presence and I love the M version for how ridiculous it is. Then again, I am a douchebag.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

kimbo305 posted:

The Neon SRT-4 seats were even worse. I think the older Vipers use the same thing? Always on my mind as another thing to make you feel uncomfortable when driving the viper.

Yeah they were the same exact seats. They were designed to keep you from sliding out, which they did well, at the expense of some long term comfort.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Cyrezar posted:

I think the X6 looks pretty cool and I would drive the poo poo out of one if I didn't prefer sedans. It has a great presence and I love the M version for how ridiculous it is. Then again, I am a douchebag.

I know someone who went from X6 to Z4 to X5 (actually there may have been an X3 in there as well), and got rid of all of them in pretty short notice because they weren't practical enough. Strangely enough they now drive a Mitsubishi (the big-un), but I get the feeling it's not douchebaggy enough for them. They also had a Volvo (v70?) and a mini, all over the last 5 years or so. Car ADD.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

cynic posted:

I know someone who went from X6 to Z4 to X5 (actually there may have been an X3 in there as well), and got rid of all of them in pretty short notice because they weren't practical enough. Strangely enough they now drive a Mitsubishi (the big-un), but I get the feeling it's not douchebaggy enough for them. They also had a Volvo (v70?) and a mini, all over the last 5 years or so. Car ADD.

Sounds more like they haven't had a good recession.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Z4 is pretty good, the M cars are still good, and the 1 is pretty good.

Edit: and it's not like that's different from past history. BMW made about two, maybe three interesting things at any given time period in its history.

The Z4 has grown into a plush boulevard cruiser instead of a fun roadster/sports car. And the M cars have sacrificed driver involvement for all-out performance numbers, which is laudable in its own way, but not what most people expect or want from a M car. The 1 series still carries the old torch, but it's going to be replaced by a front wheel drive car pretty soon. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it will upset a lot of BMW faithful no matter how well it handles.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

dissss posted:

My 90s Nissan after a side impact

Man, it got hit so hard it hosed up the upholstery.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Snowdens Secret posted:

It shows you have more money than those filthy proles piloting X5s

Yeah it's this. Although I rarely see an X6 - even in the SF Bay Area - it's gotta be a third vehicle for someone who wants something with very little "utility" but is still tall enough to see over all the other SUV's/CUV's piled up at every stoplight and with easy entry/exit and wants to spend some money. I don't think their sales number are that much either (5-7k per year in North America)

"A bit of offroad ability...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UwOBKSHl-c

Hell, people buy Nissan Murano's (my father has one) and those FX35/45 beasts and their rear storage area is pretty worthless (ask my parents Golden Retriever who prefers my Mom's Ford Escape) but it's fine for groceries and poo poo like that. Plus the front is ugly unless you look at a new Cherokee first, then it's okay.

I'll also add that BMW is still making small sporty cars it just that it's not the 3 series anymore, it's a 1 series or a 2 or whatever comes down the road. I have a 2013 535 and on the 5 boards there are posts every day complaining about how it's not an E39 or even an E60...well no poo poo, it's a small 7 now and 193 inches long....the 3 is the new 5, etc. What would be awesome is if they pumped out more 1M's, priced them moderately and included options like cloth seats, sunroof deletes and LSD's maybe someday that happens. I'm just thankful that BMW still has an "ordering" model where you can still order a stripper (sort of). I'll add that the MT I have on my 535 is sort of dumb on a car this size in this day and age with so many settings/controllers/options to run with your right hand plus the fact that the 8 speed shifts faster and gets better gas mileage. However, I had the option to order it that way and that's drat cool.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 5, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
SO SHINY

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That would all but destroy any cockometer you drove past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

I actually like how it looks completely slammed like this. The Wrap it has is ugly as sin, but in a nice artic white or something I think it would look good. Looks better than the stock ride height imo... :shrek: