Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010

webmeister posted:

Pixel People chat - do the GameCenter achievements work for anyone else? I've got a bunch of in-game achievements but none of the GC ones have completed.

Also - is there a list of which pages in the achievement list have which jobs on them? I've been stuck with one missing job on the "Mayor's Page" achievement for a week now and it's really starting to annoy me :argh: (It's the one in the bottom-right corner).

I'm surprised at myself that I'm actually enjoying Pixel People, as I really thought I was done with town-building timer "games". But here I am spending most of my time playing PP rather than NimbleQuest or Cook Serve Delicious.

GameCenter achievements don't work for me either. I dunno if there's a list of jobs floating around somewhere, but the one you're missing on the mayor's page is plumber, which is engineer + assistant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

Playing Injustice and it got me thinking that you could probably come up with a decent fighting game using a virtual dpad and the swipe controls instead of buttons for attacking and blocking.

Also, putting another recommendation for Slayin, it's a good little time waster.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Bulletproof Tiger posted:

GameCenter achievements don't work for me either. I dunno if there's a list of jobs floating around somewhere, but the one you're missing on the mayor's page is plumber, which is engineer + assistant.
Another one for the GameCenter achievements. I got some more to load by opening GC first and then Pixel People (or vice versa, can't remember), but it still had a bunch unactivated. They were the "build 30 roads/trees/decor" ones and I was like gently caress doing that again.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I don't know if they changed it, but I think to activate gamecenter in Pixel People you have to go to whatever building deals with achievements and press one of the buttons in there.

Fake edit: just checked, it's the police station, and the button with the arrow.

Real edit: Slayin is pretty great. Only used the knight so far, and it's rather funny seeing the praise for it here considering the thread title. :v:
Anyone know what the Dragon Scale actually does? The description isn't very good, but it sounds helpful.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 5, 2013

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Bulletproof Tiger posted:

Thanks! I've been holding off on splicing that one because it needs four spaces, and the last time I built a 4-space building I ended up with the super-lovely space port.

McDragon posted:

Fake edit: just checked, it's the police station, and the button with the arrow.

It's the refresh-style button, right? I just hit that button and the game crashed :saddowns:

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?

McDragon posted:

Real edit: Slayin is pretty great. Only used the knight so far, and it's rather funny seeing the praise for it here considering the thread title. :v:
Anyone know what the Dragon Scale actually does? The description isn't very good, but it sounds helpful.

I don't recall if I read this here or on the TA forums, but I think you need two red gems to use the Dragon Scale. You usually get a red gem from the post-boss treasure chest.

I wonder if the Dragon Scale is a permanent unlock, or do you have to spend 5,000 FP every time you want to use it?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

webmeister posted:

Thanks! I've been holding off on splicing that one because it needs four spaces, and the last time I built a 4-space building I ended up with the super-lovely space port.
More fool you because it's the City Square which makes more money in 5 minutes than the Space Port does in two hours.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
If you like shooting men and Call of Duty and customizing guns, F2P crack Overkill 2 is out, and I really like it. I'm probably going to dump way too much money into it while I kill time waiting for takeout, etc.

http://appshopper.com/games/overkill-2

There's a bunch of social media stuff, and if we all add each other there's some bonuses for it - http://profile.overkill2.com/jeevesmeister

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Ghostlight posted:

More fool you because it's the City Square which makes more money in 5 minutes than the Space Port does in two hours.

dammit :saddowns:

And now that I've built it, I'm completely stuck with it, right?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Mozi posted:

I really love paying money in-game in order to purchase virtual goods or services, and I hope game developers continue to provide me with games that are fundamentally timers that challenge my willingness to pay money to eliminate the very mechanic that the game is based on. There is nothing that excites me more than having to be connected to the game server in order to take any action, and I long for the day that I am charged automatically in order to stay abreast of the newest in timer-related mechanics. Also, social.

VVV Yeah, I like P&D in this way, but DoT is the worst. Can't move from one screen to another without confirmation, and for me that often means a "lost connection, please retry" whenever I want to do anything.

This has about killed Zenonia 5 for me. I actually like grinding in RPGs, it's fun to me for some reason to run around in a circle fighting enemies for hours to get stupid powerful. But Zenonia 5 is set up so you have to grind at every section, because the every few jumps in level make the enemies way stronger to the point where you dont have a chance. But then you get to a point a few levels above the current enemies and they become worth so little experience relatively that it would take days to level up fighting them. So you grind until you can clear one area, go to the next, then grind a lot more, next area, grind some more, etc.

But of course you can get around this with iap for a premium currency that lets you basically skip leveling and up your stats directly. There are ways to get free currency but it's so little it's useless. And to even play (a single player rpg) you have to be online, and the load times for this aren't great.

Theres some multiplayer stuff and an arena thing to get rare equipment (although, unless you've paid to make your character awesome you'll never survive long enough to get decent equipment at your level) but I think that all costs real world money too.

All the Zenonias (and all krpgs) are grindy but this is kind of ridiculous.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Injustice is good, but a bit shallow on the gameplay front.

Love the collectible card aspects of it, I think I've spent $50 so far. Ugh.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Samara posted:

You did what now?

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

BrainDance posted:

Also they killed the dressup bit which was like half the fun. At the very least they could make the portrait match the sprite if you change him up.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

BrainDance posted:

This has about killed Zenonia 5 for me. I actually like grinding in RPGs, it's fun to me for some reason to run around in a circle fighting enemies for hours to get stupid powerful. But Zenonia 5 is set up so you have to grind at every section, because the every few jumps in level make the enemies way stronger to the point where you dont have a chance. But then you get to a point a few levels above the current enemies and they become worth so little experience relatively that it would take days to level up fighting them. So you grind until you can clear one area, go to the next, then grind a lot more, next area, grind some more, etc.

But of course you can get around this with iap for a premium currency that lets you basically skip leveling and up your stats directly. There are ways to get free currency but it's so little it's useless. And to even play (a single player rpg) you have to be online, and the load times for this aren't great.

Theres some multiplayer stuff and an arena thing to get rare equipment (although, unless you've paid to make your character awesome you'll never survive long enough to get decent equipment at your level) but I think that all costs real world money too.

Zenonia went completely downhill after 3, IMO.

Trane posted:

I could use a little push in Fairune. I've just picked up the water icon and opened up the passage, but I can't progress at all there with obstacles to both the north and south. I also don't seem to have any other open routes available, or have any equipment I haven't used yet to this point and am level 20. Any suggestions?
What obstacles are you talking about? Also have you been to the tower yet? That's the next big area after you get the water thing. As far as I know you don't need anything special to get there, everything you need to get through the passages can be found in the passages somewhere if I remember correctly. Also once you're in the area I put in spoiler tags there's one puzzle where you'll need a particular item that it should be pretty painfully obvious what it is, and then you'll need another item that may not be as obvious. Just keep using stuff and you'll get it.

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 5, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Samara posted:

Hooooooly poo poo wow!!

Also: as a guy who wants to code a game one day, Slayin is like the exact kind of simple-yet-addictive game I'd want to make...

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Can anyone recommend choose your own adventures on iPhone?

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.

Feenix posted:

Hooooooly poo poo wow!!

Also: as a guy who wants to code a game one day, Slayin is like the exact kind of simple-yet-addictive game I'd want to make...

Have you tried messing around with Unity at all?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Apocron posted:

Can anyone recommend choose your own adventures on iPhone?

The Gamebook Adventure series is great.

There are a bunch of other Choice of _____ games, too. Some are free.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I tried the new Tekken CCG. It's okay, but mostly paper-rock-scissors. Not so much strategy as dumb luck. I'll probably delete it tonight.

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!

JGTheSpy posted:

Have you tried messing around with Unity at all?

Slayin was made using Multimedia Fusion 2. So even if you're newb at programming (like myself), you can make iPhone games of reasonable quality. Just...slayin :nyd:

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Bummey posted:

The Gamebook Adventure series is great.

There are a bunch of other Choice of _____ games, too. Some are free.

Any in particular?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Apocron posted:

Any in particular?

I've played 1, 5, 6, and 7. 7 is probably the best because it introduces some cooler new mechanics but they won't be cool if you haven't played any other ones! Honestly, you can start anywhere. There's no continuity.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The Fleet is really good, apparently Choice of Kung Fu is good too.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Mozi posted:

The Fleet is really good, apparently Choice of Kung Fu is good too.

Look at each choice of game if you like the idea of what it's about you'll like it, they're all solid. Vampires is about vampires in an..anne rice? wod? kind of way? Broadsides is about boats, Star Captain is a rogue AI Friendship simulator, Kung Fu is a solid wushu adventure.

I've yet to find a choice game I did not enjoy. Dragon is their first real one and it shows, very basic but still a fun relatively linear game.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Duranki posted:

I don't recall if I read this here or on the TA forums, but I think you need two red gems to use the Dragon Scale. You usually get a red gem from the post-boss treasure chest.

I wonder if the Dragon Scale is a permanent unlock, or do you have to spend 5,000 FP every time you want to use it?

Took the plunge on it. It does cost two gems to use when you die, it resets your fame points for that run up to that point, then you start earning again. And looks like it is a permanent unlock.

el Brainvomito
Dec 30, 2008

by T. Finninho

el Brainvomito posted:

Yay, that's what we want to test! :v:

Go! Bee! Go! is a platform game with bit similar game mechanics as 10 000 000 had. We wanted to find out would platform games be catered better with that way and would it still have similar charm as platform games general. It's still raw, but we really need feedback to know is there potential in this concept and further more, who is really the target audience of the game.

So, if you are interested, here you can join our Testflight team. There will be feedback questioner/form in the game, so we hope we don't hijack the thread...at least not too much.
Since so many goons have enlisted in this (eep!), I have to mention that that it takes bit longer to get that prototype for you guys than we assumed due the problems with developer accounts. Mainly because of "drat you school with inactive OS-developer accounts and renewing them take some time because bureaucracy is nice and everyone likes it here :v: " . Sorry for delay, we hope to get it to you next week!

I hope this wasn't too much of an hijacking/self-promotion, and if it was, sorry for derail. :ohdear:

el Brainvomito fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 5, 2013

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

You did what now?

That Batman card is expensive :(

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I've been playing Clash of Clans for the last few days even though its not very good. Something about it just scratches the itch of of growing your own empire in semi real time. What games are actually good in the genre? It doesn't have to be a city builder either.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Also they killed the dressup bit which was like half the fun. At the very least they could make the portrait match the sprite if you change him up.

Yeah that pissed me off too. At least they could have made different portraits for different hair color. It's not like there are that many to make, and it really throws me off having a character with black hair but a blond portrait. It's just... Not right, and not in that final fantasy "my sprite has blue hair but the portrait has wispy blond hair" way. That works, this doesn't.

I see that you can buy cool looking avatars though, what a surprise.

It sucks so much because under all of it there really is a pretty good rpg there. It's just broken. Also, memory leak holy gently caress that memory leak. I can only play for about an hour until I have to save, close and reopen because everything grinds (lol) to a halt.

It doesn't really matter though, they wont fix any of it because they dont have to, it's like square knowing people in Japan will pay a ton for whatever they put on the app store just because. Here in Korea Zenonia is huge, and people will put a ton of ₩ into it no matter what. The US market is nothing to them I'm sure, and I have a feeling Korean gamers are just in general more willing to spend insane amounts of money on iap.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The new Kairosoft is out. It's Sushi Spinnery!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-sushi-spinnery/id627818916?mt=8

I haven't had time to play it just yet, but I'll report back either here or in the kairosoft mega thread.

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ok, so Megapolis is ultimately free to play. There is 100% no reason you should ever need to buy IAP. Just friend request random people, accept any/all friend requests and keep tapping. The more you tap stuff, the more you get in return.

I have no idea this game works. I just accept everything and tap stuff with speech bubble-esque icons. So far I've been able to expand my territory 5 times, without spending a single dollar of real life money. My city is getting fairly large. I like this bloated application, for some strange reason.

Hint: Don't you dare play this game, without being connected to a wireless router. It will obliterate your data plan.

I'd say "add me" but I have no idea what my user ID is, or how to add/be added.

(Also, just wanted to be clear. I'm not trying to promote this garbage, I'm just saying, nobody should ever spend money on it.)

waste of internet fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 5, 2013

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
So what you're saying is you personally haven't hit the paywall yet. Five expansions doesn't sound very far in the game if I know my Pixel People comparisons.

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

So what you're saying is you personally haven't hit the paywall yet. Five expansions doesn't sound very far in the game if I know my Pixel People comparisons.

It always costs 7 "game dollars" to expand by a block. It takes me about 4 days to get 7 game dollars, without paying. Nearly every building has a "coins" value, connected with the "dollars" value. As for structures that require assets, which need to be purchased with IAP. I've been receiving all those assets through gifting. I have no idea why people care so much about giving me free stuff, but every time I start a new project that should require IAP, a bunch of random users gift me the stuff required. It usually takes a few days until everyone has gifted me all the required materials.

(You know what I mean by "coins" vs "dollars" Coins being the worthless crap currency, dollars being the more valuable "buy more dollars with real life money" type currency.)

I've been having fun with this game for 4 weeks now and yes, I'm yet to hit a paywall. Not seeing one in the near future, either.

This game has so many achievements with rewards, it defeats any desire to spend money on IAP.

waste of internet fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 5, 2013

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Well 4 weeks is fair enough sorry for jumping on you. Been burned out by posts of people playing for a few hours raving how this and that is the best thing and they can't sleep at night over it.

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 5, 2013

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

So do random people send you free "materials" or whatever (that I'm guessing they need also, for themselves?) that let you expand further? Do they hope that you'll send them things back? Do you?
:psyduck:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Y'all are really jumping to defend your grindy freemium IAP-laden games of choice. I think it's all scummy garbage preying on sad, lonely people who have more money than sense and desperately want to be the big fish in whatever small pond they can find.

Some of us enjoy it, some of us don't. Whatever. Is it too much to ask for all you to stop being such goons about things?

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Clocks posted:

So do random people send you free "materials" or whatever (that I'm guessing they need also, for themselves?) that let you expand further? Do they hope that you'll send them things back? Do you?
:psyduck:

Yes, free for me, presumably cost money for them, unless they're also somehow getting them for free. No, I do not send them back anything in return. I have no idea why they're sending me free materials. I have no idea why.

Bummey posted:

Y'all are really jumping to defend your grindy freemium IAP-laden games of choice. I think it's all scummy garbage preying on sad, lonely people who have more money than sense and desperately want to be the big fish in whatever small pond they can find.

Some of us enjoy it, some of us don't. Whatever. Is it too much to ask for all you to stop being such goons about things?

I 100% agree with the first paragraph of text. I'm just saying Megapolis somehow doesn't require IAP despite being IAP laden. Hell, it doesn't even seem to advertise! The worst part about the game is the fact that it requires an internet connection and does these ridiculous updates, which seem to be independent of the app store.

I'm here trying to encourage people NOT to spend money on it. I started playing with the mentality of "I enjoy the aesthetics. The artwork is pleasing to me. I'll just gently caress around with mapping out fictitious towns. Progression shall be irrelevant." Now I'm enjoying the entirety of the game and progressing rapidly, without spending a single dime. Sort of a funny situation, I've gotten myself into, with this game.

Actually, the image on Facebook that featured a cute little/large/text-art Bucket excavator was what drew me in. Yes, I feel like a "sheeple" and a victim to mass marketing. As my town gets bigger and bigger, I care less and less.

Edit: I hate the fact that I'm defending this game. :smith:

waste of internet fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 5, 2013

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
It's unreal how much people spend on freemium "MMOs". I play Crime City fully realizing I'll never amount to much because I don't buy much in the way of IAP. There are people according to the game's forums who get the top prize in each weekly event. Doing this normally costs about $200 in premium currency per event.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
So, House of the Dead Overkill is coming to iOS, according to TouchArcade?

I can't imagine how you could make a light-gun game fun on iOS. What, you frantically tap on all the zombies? That could work on iPad (doesn't sound very fun, though), but it just sounds downright stupid on an iPhone.

That said, the game itself was a blast on the Wii. It's pure pulp atmosphere: a ridiculous plot that doesn't even pretend to take itself seriously, peppered with intentionally groan-worthy dialogue and F-bombs. It's Grindhouse: The Game, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

jerkstore77 posted:

It's unreal how much people spend on freemium "MMOs". I play Crime City fully realizing I'll never amount to much because I don't buy much in the way of IAP. There are people according to the game's forums who get the top prize in each weekly event. Doing this normally costs about $200 in premium currency per event.

I bet hardcore WoW players have been spending like that in black market gold and items for a looong time.

• Locked thread