Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Yeah, most of the :wtf: seems to come from the author being lazy and thoughtless. You could say that about this whole thing really.

Talking about lazy and thoughtless, look at this:

I just realized what was bugging me about this picture. The thing is, he's wearing a coat. The problem is, there are four to six limbs that are under the coat. Someone makes this whole different monster kind of thing, then forgets all the real details about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Iced Cocoa posted:

I just realized what was bugging me about this picture. The thing is, he's wearing a coat. The problem is, there are four to six limbs that are under the coat. Someone makes this whole different monster kind of thing, then forgets all the real details about them.

Holy poo poo, look at the left side of that picture. I was only looking at the dressing gown-clad coaster on the right but he's reading a loving book.

e: and I thought his nostrils were his eyes on the left one. Actually looks a lot like a lazy panda.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Iced Cocoa posted:

The obvious answer is that were-roller-coasters also have the power to retract their arms into their bodies whenever they wish to.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Dreggon posted:

Holy poo poo, look at the left side of that picture. I was only looking at the dressing gown-clad coaster on the right but he's reading a loving book.

e: and I thought his nostrils were his eyes on the left one. Actually looks a lot like a lazy panda.

He's reading a loving book while awkwardly stretching his hand towards us just so we can see his wheel-fingers. That's the kind of illustration mistakes I made back in tenth grade.

JosephWongKS posted:

The obvious answer is that were-roller-coasters also have the power to retract their arms into their bodies whenever they wish to.

My money is on yet another case of "I don't always draw Rainbowfarts McDragonwolf with wings cause wings are hard to draw and I'm lazy as gently caress of magical reasons but he always has them!!!"

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Keep the following in mind when reading Chapter 10, which will be posted shortly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialogue_in_writing posted:

Dialogue in writing

Dialogue in fiction is a verbal exchange between two or more characters. If there is only one character talking aloud it is a monologue.

Identifiers

"This breakfast is making me sick," George said.

The George said is the identifier. Said is the verb most writers use because reader familiarity with said prevents it from drawing attention to itself. Although other verbs such as ask, shout, or reply are acceptable, some identifiers get in the reader's way. For example:

"Hello," he croaked nervously, "my name's Horace."
"What's yours?" he asked with as much aplomb as he could muster.[1] another example is: "My name is Peg, what's yours?" I asked. "My name is William, but my friends call me Will," said Will.

Stephen King, in his book On Writing, expresses his belief that said is the best identifier to use. King recommends reading a novel by Larry McMurtry, who he claims has mastered the art of well-written dialogue.[2]

Substitutes are known as said-bookisms. For example, in the sentence "What do you mean?" he smiled., the word smiled is a said-bookism.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

This is gonna be awesome.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 10 – Why Must It Be This Way?

quote:

I woke up blinking my eyes briefly, my head throbbed and my muscles ached. It felt as if a bronco kicked me. I opened my eyes a tad bit more to see Thunderbark standing before me. I moaned loudly.

“Railrunner, say something, let us know you are with us.”

I looked at him, my eyes narrowed.

“You’re an rear end.” I growled.

Dude. You were on a murder-rampage (including attacking your own girlfriend) and the old guy stopped you. Show some gratitude for that if nothing else.

quote:

Thunderbark rolled his eyes. “He’s fine,” he sighed.

I sat up to see that I was in a hotel suite. Merrylegs leaned against the wall combing her thick red hair while Static sat in front of a TV playing video games, a racing one. All he did was crash into the other opponents. Merrylegs laughed.

“Have you ever tried not crashing into things?”

“Hey! It’s in my nature.” He objected, looking back to the screen.

Everyone’s an rear end in a top hat in this book. Except, of course, for Detective Black. :swoon:

quote:

I sat up in bed and turned to Thunderbark. I took a long deep breath then reluctantly decided to speak to him. But he spoke first.

“I have never seen a young roller coaster as powerful as you. You were able to bend some of the most incredible lightning before you were even able to learn it. It takes years for a coaster to even get a small spark.”

Twisted was published in 2010, after Avatar the Last Airbender had finished its run. Given the reference to lightning-bending, we can probably expect to see Railrunner’s abusive roller coaster-father and scheming roller coaster-sister in the later chapters of the book.

quote:

“Well is there any particular reason why?”

“You are the red. Like I said before, you are a one and only. You are destined for greatness, Railrunner.”

“Whoop dee.” I grumbled.

“You need to work on your manners, and definitely your language.” Thunderbark groaned. I simply ignored him.

“Whatever, so why are we here in this room?”

“There was a possible witness that could have seen you during your transformation yesterday, and he is in the position where he could arrest you.” He sighed.

“Detective Black.”

“Right, if he saw you he could expose you, and get you imprisoned, ruining our chances of defeating Ironwheel.” He said with his eyes changing dark blue in frustration.

To quote Thunderbark himself, were–roller coasters “can bend lightening [sic] and fire, posses [sic] super strength and agility, predict when things will happen, exept [sic] death, sense trouble, never get get sick, are venomous, can hear a sound from miles, have the sight of a dragon, and other things.” Why are they so still drat afraid of mortal policemen?

quote:

I got to my feet to get ready and prepared to walk out the door.

“Where are you going?” Thunderbark said sternly.

“I’m going to talk to Clare, and help her understand what’s wrong with me, why I am a freak.” I said shutting the door behind me. I wanted to make things right with Clare; I just hope she accepts me for what and how twisted I was.

Title drop!

quote:

I walked out of the hotel, to my right was the police impound lot, and there was my car. The black Mustang, it was as shinny [sic] as the day I bought it. I’ll go get it out; besides, Clare’s house is a long way away from the hotel.

What kind of crappy town zoning council places a police impound lot right next to a hotel?

quote:

I walked over to the police station and passed trough [sic] the double doors. I saw lots of officers roaming about. I felt so unease [sic], I now considered these men as my enemies. There were posters of wanted people on a large wall, but in the middle of them was the biggest poster of all, the one of me as a roller coaster. I tried to ignore it, and then I walked up to the desk.

“May I help you?” a middle aged lady asked with a smile on her rosy red face.

“Yes, I need to get my car out of the impound lot.” I said trying to sound normal, and appear that way.

“Ok, what car is it?”

The black Mustang GT [No punctuation mark]” I said as I stuck my hand into my pocket.

“What year?”

“2008.” I replied as I pulled out my tattered wallet.

“It will be two hundred dollars, sir.”

I handed her a wad of money. She stuck it in a safe and smiled back at me, but I could sense that she was leery.

“Well looks like your all set, by the way. We found your car parked in the back of Snooks, on the first night that the roller coaster attacked. You know anything of this?”

This world must have gone through one hell of a disaster in the recent past, that a receptionist can be so blasé about the existence of an autonomous roller-coaster.

quote:

“Well, I wasn’t really there, a friend drove me home, I was pretty drunk,” I lied.

“Okay, but good on your part.” She chuckled.

I nodded and followed an officer back into the building and out into the lot. We walked up to my car and he handed me my keys.

“Really nice ride. You’re lucky the roller coaster didn’t destroy it,” he laughed. It was a complete paradox that the enemy was talking to his biggest foe without even knowing it. This only made me more solicitous.

Why is everyone so drat nonchalant about a roller-coaster that moves on its own and attacks people and livestock?

Also, Miranda Leek has not the slightest clue what a “paradox” is.

quote:

“Thanks. Hey where is Detective Black?” I asked out of curiosity.

“Oh, well he got mauled by you know who last night; he’s still in the hospital. They said his injuries were not life threatening though.”

gently caress yeah Detective Black! Truly he is the most hardcore badass in the book. I mean, last chapter “Railrunner landed in front of [Detective Black] and raised his claws, and nailed the detective, sending him crashing through a tent” AND “hit him with a heavy blow, knocking the detective out cold”. All this is done by a 10-ton roller coaster with super-strength and venomous claws, and Detective Black is still alive and kicking and ready to dish it back out again. :black101:

quote:

“I wish him the best,” I said climbing into my car, wanting to snicker at my last comment. I started the engine and drove out of the lot. They were on high alert that’s for sure. As so was I.

If Miranda Leek is trying to make us detest Rodney / Railrunner, she’s doing an excellent job of it.

quote:

+++

Clare wandered around her house in a daze. She still was suffering from what happened the night before. She could not convince herself it was a dream, because the scratches lay on her arm. The brutal memory of Rodney transforming still lingered in her head, she shuttered [sic] at the very thought of it. Then the doorbell rang making her jump. She looked through the peephole to see Rodney standing on the doorstep.

Clare fell back against the wall in surprise. Her heart began to hammer in her chest, she could almost hear its loud thud as it pounded over and over again.

“Clare? It’s me, Rodney; I want to talk to you.” Rodney called from the other side of the door. Clare began to panic, then she quickly walked into the kitchen and began to dig around in the silverware drawer, her hands shaking.

“Come on Clare, I know you’re home. Could you please answer?” Rodney called. She shoved several forks out of the way and pulled out a kitchen knife. She hid it up in her sleeve and began to walk to the front door. She did the whole process as if she was in a trance.

Clare slowly opened the door.

“Come in,” she said quietly.

Rodney walked through the doorway, shut the door, and stopped to take off his shoes. Suddenly Clare pulled out the knife and brought it down towards his chest. Rodney had no time to react, the knife went into him and Clare stumbled backward gasping in fear. Rodney sat on the floor breathing harshly. He tugged at the knife sticking out of his chest; he pulled it free and lay it aside. Blood seeped through his shirt; he unbuttoned it and reveled [sic] the nasty wound.

I can honestly say that I did not see that coming, given that Clare is someone who’s clearly intended to represent the “normal” person in contrast to the “abnormal” world of the were-roller coasters. If Clare was (understandably, and justifiably) afraid of Rodney / Railrunner, why didn’t she simply not open the door? What kind of thought processes ran through her mind to reach the conclusion “I shall let him in and stab him when he least expects it”?

quote:

Then the gash started to shrink, till it was no longer visible, Rodney had healed himself. Clare stood unmoving. She gasped as she realized her mistake.

“I’m so sorry!” She sniveled as Rodney got back up and popped his neck. Rodney looked at her, he unexpectedly smiled a little.

“Clare, I’ve looked worse, believe me,” he started to laugh.

“Like last night?”

“Yes, like last night.”

Oh how wonderful, now they get a healing factor as well. This must be the “other things” in Thunderbark’s recitation of a were-roller coaster’s powers.

quote:

+++

“Clare I came to explain what’s going on with me. Care to listen for a minute?”

“I don’t mind,” she said sitting on the couch. I walked over and sat in the chair in front of her. I wiped my face then sighed aloud. Then I began my story.

“Clare, I wasn’t born here, I was born somewhere else, a place called Amusement Park Between. There all the rides are alive.”

“Merrylegs told me that part already. I want to know how you became a coaster, and what a coaster’s characteristics are.” She interrupted.

Clare also seems to be absurdly cavalier about the existence of an entire dimension of living amusement park rides. No-one in this book has anything close to a “normal” reaction to events happening around them. It’s as though everyone has been emotionally desensitized by past trauma, which is pretty :smith: when you think about it.

quote:

“Fine, I will start with how I became a roller coaster. It all began when I went to Mystic Park to get a job, I met Woody. He and I went coaster walking. Then we stopped and Woody said his real name was Thunderbark, and mine was Railrunner. Then he told me where I came from and the legend of Amusement Park Between. And I was the key to some kind of prophecy. Then, it happened.”

“What.” [The quote ends with a full-stop instead of a question mark]

“He tricked me, he made me touch the rails, and he activated my curse.”

“That’s how you became Railrunner?”

“Yes, I become a coaster at night or when I interact with them. I don’t have control until the first full moon when the clock strikes twelve and when the moon is at the highest point in the sky, which is tonight. However, in Amusement Park between [“between” is spelt in lowercase instead of capitalized] I’m a coaster always.”

“Have you been to Amusement Park between?” [“between” is spelt in lowercase instead of capitalized]

“No, not yet.”

“So can you do anything in your coaster form?”

“Yes, I can heal myself; I have extreme strength, agility and senses. I can bend lightning and fire, which I did lightning and nearly killed myself last night. I can’t ever get sick; I can predict when things will happen. And others.”

“And others”? You mean there’s still more powers that a were-roller coaster gets? Even World of Death vampires don’t get so many powers of such an assorted range!

I also want to highlight that this is the second time in just four chapters that Miranda Leek has dropped the same exposition dump.

quote:

“What is it like being Railrunner?” She asked quietly as she nervously pulled at her sleeves.

“Clare, it certainly has its ups and downs. Right now I have no control and I have a taste for blood. I feel damned, I feel like my soul is being stolen. I feel so heartless. And yet, I feel so invincible, like nothing can stop me, even though that is true. I feel the urge to get revenge to fight. At the stage where I’m at, its [sic] like Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde.”

I’m not surprised that Miranda Leek is apparently a Juggalo.

quote:

“That’s when you’re not in control, right?”

“Yes, I haven’t felt what it is like when I’m in control.”

Then all was quiet for a minute, and then Clare looked at me tearing up.

“Rodney, I mean Railrunner, I think your other side might come between us.”

“What?” I said startled.

Rodney is pretty much a complete sociopath at this point. Why does it come as a surprise to him that Clare wouldn’t want to associate with someone who tried to loving murder her?

quote:

“Railrunner you are very good to me, but unfortunately you are also very bad. You almost killed me last night.”

“Clare, I didn’t… It’s not my fault!”

Seriously, what a disgusting self-centred prick. You tried to murder her! It doesn’t matter that you weren’t “in control” at the time! Why does it have to be about you all the time?

quote:

“Railrunner, this will never work. You have people that can’t accept you for what you are. You have people that want you dead!”

“Clare!”

“Railrunner, our love is – forbidden. We can’t carry on any longer. A roller coaster cannot be in love with a human!”

“Clare please!” I said coming to my knees.

“Railrunner, we are done, no more.” She said with tears rolling down her cheeks. She pulled a pink rose out of a vase and handed it to me, and then she disappeared into the house. I stormed outside and climbed into my car. I sat in the seat holding the rose.

“Why does it have to be this way?” I said in sheer frustration. [Missing quotation mark] Why me!”

Why does it have to be about you all the time? Can’t you stop being a petulant child for just one loving minute? You tried to loving murder her!!!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Did Leek ever explain what "bending" means or does she use it as though it's a general term?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

It really does seem like someone has cut and pasted stuff from other genres into this, especially with this 'forbidden love' line.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Sindai posted:

Did Leek ever explain what "bending" means or does she use it as though it's a general term?

She considers it a general term. I have only heard about Avatar so reading about "bending" all I could wonder just what else she could rip off from, and would she be as blunt as this.

I never thought then I would wish she would be as subtle ripping off things as she did with bending.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh Railrunner...
You murdered people, ate animals and caused massive property damage for no good reason.
He's such a lovable scamp! :v:

Holy gently caress Clare :magical: I thought she would just threaten the dude, but she just went and stabbed him. I don't know whether to be impressed or scared.

Bobbin, if I may, you're a writer right? Can you tell us what you think of the perspective shifts? I'd really like to hear your opinion.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
"Whoop dee" is not a phrase.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Holy poo poo Clare. Stone cold killer.

Pseudodude
Aug 26, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Clearly one of the "other" were-roller coaster powers is the ability to make up or change the meaning of words and phrases at will.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Iced Cocoa posted:

I never thought then I would wish she would be as subtle ripping off things as she did with bending.

quote:

Then the gash started to shrink, till it was no longer visible, Rodney had healed himself. Clare stood unmoving. She gasped as she realized her mistake.

"So thou thought thou couldst kill me, fool." exploded Rodney
If only...

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

SSNeoman posted:

Bobbin, if I may, you're a writer right? Can you tell us what you think of the perspective shifts? I'd really like to hear your opinion.

I got a few things to say about this chapter, actually. But in regards to this, mixing first and third person perspectives is generally frowned upon. First person means committing to a personal take on a single perspective, a perspective that can only expand if the protagonist is "writing" him or herself and can therefore embed an extra layer of narrative ("I heard about the events later, and as I've pieced things together, I believe it went something like this"). The third person perspective has license to move between characters since the point of view is not directly attached to anyone, although you can also choose to limit your focus to one individual. One book which I think does a good job playing with the issue of perspective is Pages of Pain, in which the first person perspective character is the Lady of Pain, literally an omniscient being, and so when it shifts into a third person narrative following another protagonist, it makes sense since she is effectively watching the narrative along with the reader.

Personally, I'm more willing to give a break to Miranda for using nonstandard identifiers; I've always felt that using a good identifier can save a line of description and help provide connotations to dialog that the bare words can't always provide on their own (see: most uses of sarcasm online). That said, there can be a fine line between "adding to a scene" and "Roget approved purple prose;" you really need a good ear for what can fit and what can't. Joseph, I also noted that you highlighted identifiers which your reference considers safe, like "asked" and "replied." On the other hand, focusing on these has led me to notice that she consistently makes a grammatical mistake regarding identifiers:

"This is how complete sentences with identifiers should be punctuated," he began. "When you use an exclamation point or a question mark, it should look similar!" he continued. "But this is how most of Miranda's dialogue ends." He finished.

So it turns out she hasn't been misusing identifiers at all: she's been adding completely unrelated bits of unspoken dialog afterwards instead! :v:

alcharagia posted:

It's two thirds of a phrase (whoop-dee doo), and the speaker is feeling apathetic; I'd let that one slide.

Two other notes: first, the meeting with Clare is all kinds of head scratching. So her first reaction to seeing her homicidal wolf-roller-coaster-man is to up and stab him in the chest, her second reaction upon seeing his freakish healing factor is to sobbingly forgive him, and then upon hearing his silly roller coaster name she instantly decides to call him only that for the rest of the scene?

Second, I would like to nominate Detective Black as hero of the thread.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 6, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
BONUS CONTENT

About the Author and the Illustrator posted:

Miranda Leek

Miranda Leek lives in the small town of Rockvale, Tennessee. Her love of art, writing and roller coasters inspired Miranda, at the tender age of seventeen, to write Twisted; in which started as a simple experience and a few ideas, tuned into wonderful fully illustrated book that could be read over and over.

Please visit https://www.mirandasmagic.com to view more of Miranda's work including the works of Twisted in their original form.

Also Be On The Lookout for Book 2 In The Twisted Series:

VERTIGO

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 6, 2013

Nomad175
Oct 14, 2012

By not beating me, he has beaten me.

quote:

...at the tender age of seventeen...

Explains it all, really.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Accordingly to Miranda Leek's bio, she wrote Twisted when she was 17 years old. Twisted was published in 2010, so that means she was born in 1993. Could Miranda Leek the writer be Miranda Leek the archer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miranda_Leek posted:

Miranda Leek

Miranda Leek (born May 18, 1993)[1] is an American archer.

Career

Born in Des Moines, Iowa, Leek learned to shoot from her father, Scott Leek, who is a recreational archer. When she was 5, Scott Leek took her with him to a shooting range and taught her how to use a basic recurve bow. Over time, she began to participate in local competitions, switching to a compound bow, which she would use until switching back to an Olympic-style recurve bow at the age of 12. During this transition, Leek continued to be coached by her father, with additional support and advice from archery coach Terry Wunderle and his son, former Olympian Vic Wunderle. By age 14 she was selected as a member of USA Archery's Junior Dream Team, and began to be coached by Kisik Lee, her current team coach. Her father remains her personal coach.[2]

In 2010, Leek was selected as the sole representative of the United States in women's archery at the 2010 Summer Youth Olympics. The following year, she graduated from Dowling Catholic High School in West Des Moines, and has been accepted to attend Texas A&M University starting in fall, 2012.[3] Also in 2011, Leek participated as a member of the United States women's team at the 2011 Pan American Games in Guadalajara, Mexico. There, she won silver medals in both the individual and team competitions.[4][5] She has qualified to compete in both the individual and team competitions in women's archery at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, beating out two more experienced archers for the right to compete in the individual competition on behalf of the United States.[6]

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 6, 2013

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Unless she commutes from Tennessee to Texas every other day, I don't think this archery lady is our Miranda Leek.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
To clarify, the post of "About the Author and the Illustrator" above was not the fruit of any internet detectivity on my part, but is taken from the inside back cover of the book, which I'd never seen until now, when I turned to the back of the book to see how it ended.

If the consensus is that posting it in the thread is creepy I'll edit out the post above.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 6, 2013

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

"And yet, I feel so invincible, like nothing can stop me, even though that is true."

Mother of God... :psyduck:

E:

attackbunny posted:

This book is a horror story about a domestic abuser with superpowers.

That'd actually be interesting and kind of unique, so I'm betting Miranda doesn't take the story in that direction.

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 6, 2013

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
This book is a horror story about a domestic abuser with superpowers.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

To be fair, some of her art is alright: http://www.mirandasmagic.com/resources/twisted_by_railrunnermiranda-d5f1u9x.jpg?timestamp=1351706075652
It reminds of those R.L.Stein book covers from when I was a kid. I'm wondering if she traced it from something else though. She can't do proportions to save her life, and this is coming from a non-art person.

But I feel like it's missing something...

Ah, there we are.

...Oh my god what the gently caress

:nms::nms:Don't click here. There is nothing good here. Also spoilers.:nms::nms: posted:

This is Shadowtrack, a little anthro roller coaster- a feisty one at that. She's quite a flirt, putting on a private show for her husband Railrunner behind closed doors... every night. Shadowtrack's personality is playful and seductive, but at other times she's serious and understanding. She's addicted to Railrunner like he's her own personal drug and would never go with any other coaster behind his back.

:suicide:

drat it Miranada. I'm trying to be sympathetic but you aren't making it easy!

EDIT: I agree attackbunny, this deserves more NMS tags. My apologies, everyone.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 7, 2013

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

What the gently caress, I can't even see the goddamn picture behind the wall of watermarks

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Mercedes posted:

What the gently caress, I can't even see the goddamn picture behind the wall of watermarks

I think that was the point. :v:
You need to click on the first link to see the original.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
SSNeoman, you need more NMS tags on that thing.

I'm almost relieved, because if Psychoaster's going to end up with this blatant fuckdoll trophy then that means Clare's well away from the guy who thinks she's a bitch for dumping him after he tried to murder her. Sadly, I have this horrible feeling like Clare's going to get in a stupid catfight with the fuckdoll and get her rear end kicked by Railrunner's new and superior dragon coaster train love interest.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

attackbunny posted:

I'm almost relieved, because if Psychoaster's going to end up with this blatant fuckdoll trophy then that means Clare's well away from the guy who thinks she's a bitch for dumping him after he tried to murder her. Sadly, I have this horrible feeling like Clare's going to get in a stupid catfight with the fuckdoll and get her rear end kicked by Railrunner's new and superior dragon coaster train love interest.

Speculation related to the spoilered stuff: I have this horrible feeling that Clare is the, er, fuckdoll.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

my dad posted:

Speculation related to the spoilered stuff: I have this horrible feeling that Clare is the, er, fuckdoll.

What? No, that's not how rollercoasters work -

Oh poo poo. poo poo.

Shiiiit.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

my dad posted:

That would be my first guess, too. Conservation of characters and all that. Then again, I'm not sure we can trust that any literary technique will be abided by in this book.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Story spoilers related to discussion: Maybe to help figure out how all that would work, roller coasters are venomous, but their venom is only stored in their two main fangs, not the other fangs or their claws. So not only is this book a hilariously transplanted werewolf story, it's also hilariously transplanted vampire story!

And about that :nms: thing, she's nothing but a fuckdoll. Not a single line in her bio describes her out of context of either being sexy, or not in relation to Railrunner. She's nothing if it weren't for Railrunner.

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

If the consensus is that posting it in the thread is creepy I'll edit out the post above.

I think posting something from the book is fine. After all, that is what this thread is about, and, to me at least, shows that we should not be outrageously harsh on her given that this was written by a 17 year old (for some reason I was thinking of it as the product of a lonely 30-something).

However, actually trying to track down anything else about Miranda is kinda creepy. I don't think it is the same person as this archer, but people shouldn't do anything further to find her.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

NeoAnjou posted:

I think posting something from the book is fine. After all, that is what this thread is about, and, to me at least, shows that we should not be outrageously harsh on her given that this was written by a 17 year old (for some reason I was thinking of it as the product of a lonely 30-something).

However, actually trying to track down anything else about Miranda is kinda creepy. I don't think it is the same person as this archer, but people shouldn't do anything further to find her.

Seconded.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

NeoAnjou posted:

Third'd.

We have her art site and her DeviantART page which are sort of "this-book-by-extension" so we really need nothing else.
Trying to find anything further than that is going into creep territory.

Unless someone wants to buy Miranda an account on SA :v:

Aug 24, 2011

quote:

'Shadowtrack'

:stonk:

I haven't actually looked at the picture, yet. I'm afraid that if I look I won't have a way to express the horror, and it will eat me up inside.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
This thread has gone from "amusing" to "hilarious trainwreck" to "somewhat creepy" now that Leek seems to have taken this whole roller coaster otherkin thing really seriously. Please don't go any deeper than is absolutely necessary, I don't want to have dreams about it.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Dreggon posted:

:stonk:

I haven't actually looked at the picture, yet. I'm afraid that if I look I won't have a way to express the horror, and it will eat me up inside.

Well, I had the good luck (for an extremely specific definition of that phrase) to have the picture load for me (I am using the Awful app right now) and, well...

Why does she have boobs? She is a friggin' rollercoaster-dragon thing, WHY does she have huge boobs?!? Why is she flopping around on the floor like a porn star? Why is she flopping around on the floor like a human porn star if she's a several-meter long dragon-thing with multiple arms and legs?!? How does Miranda not understand, even at her young age, even based upon everyday observation that a long-bodied animal with many short limbs is going to move in a way that is very, very different from a short-bodied animal with four long limbs?!?

But most importantly, and this is the thing that kills me: If were-rollercoaster-dragon-things are the most awesome creatures around; if they are bloodthirsty killing machines that can manipulate the elements, heal from any wound, redefine common phrases, and (enter new power as the plot demands here), why is Shadowtrack "nothing" without her boyfriend?!?!? That isn't just a heartbreaking reminder of how ingrained the "female characters can't be interesting" thing is, even for female writers, it simply does not make any loving sense in the world of this story!?!
:cry:

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 8, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Because porn.

quote:

But most importantly, and this is the thing that kills me: If were-rollercoaster-dragon-things are the most awesome creatures around; if they are bloodthirsty killing machines that can manipulate the elements, heal from any wound, redefine common phrases, and (enter new power as the plot demands here), why is Shadowtrack "nothing" without her boyfriend?!?!? That isn't just a heartbreaking reminder of how ingrained the "female characters can't be interesting" thing is, even for female writers, it simply does not make any loving sense in the world of this story!?!:cry:

I suppose I've had the benefit of reading the Darkangel trilogy when I was still very young (Meredith Ann Pierce, still extremely good books after I reread them, take a look if you can), so I've never had that notion that female protagonists can't be independent, interesting, or useful. That even some female authors can't understand this strikes me as nothing less than tragic.

Aug 24, 2011

Clicked link :suicide:

Don't click it if you haven't.

:suicide:

I don't even understand how, why, what would entice anybody to draw that. Here, have a picture of a dog to clean your mind.

That rollercoaster drawing is a crime against humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Well, I was looking for some material from my next guest review, and while looking I ran across this on Miranda's DA journal:

quote:

A new, revised and updated version of Twisted will be out this coming summer :) The cover will be changed, the ugly interior illustrations are scrapped and replace with spot illustrations, and though the story won't change - there is going to be a major facelift to the text with edits and a few added content! So, if you are thinking about reading Twisted, just wait until the new version is released, don't buy the ugly thing that I did years ago.

So the picture linked earlier is probably going to be the cover of the new edition. And JWKS, you were unlucky, had it been only few months later you would have read a story about a powerful, magical destiny-bound were-rollercoaster train while not suffering the multitude of grammartical and spelling errors.

And the story stays unchanged. Given that Shadowtrack has consistently been portrayed as "Nothing without Railrunner" I doubt that the changing story includes somewhat revised characters.

• Locked thread