Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Frozen-Solid posted:

I came across my first little hiccup in Exchange 2010 today. I added "Send-As" permissions for a user to be able to send as a distribution group, but when trying to send an email as that group it returned a permissions error email. When I did this for myself, it worked with no problems. The only difference is that I never opened my own Outlook account nor did I set up Outlook until everything was already working. For this other user, they were using their email box for the past two hours before I added the permission change.

Is there some length of time it takes for a change like that to take effect in Outlook? I tried closing/reopening Outlook, as well as making the user reboot their computer but it didn't work. Finally I removed the account from Outlook and readded it, and everything worked immediately. I'm not sure what I did wrong, or if I just had to wait a bit longer?

To test if it's an issue with Outlook, or with Exchange permissions, try sending as the distribution group from OWA.

If it turns out to be an Outlook issue, try deleting the distribution group's address from the auto-complete cache (just arrow down to it when it pops up and hit the Delete key) and pick it off the address list again. Might want to specifically force a send/receive of the address book as well.

If it's an Exchange issue (i.e. it doesn't work in OWA either) it might be an old issue with the Information Store caching these permissions; I remember that from 2007 and I think the refresh was 120 minutes or you could restart the Information Store :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Mierdaan posted:

To test if it's an issue with Outlook, or with Exchange permissions, try sending as the distribution group from OWA.

If it turns out to be an Outlook issue, try deleting the distribution group's address from the auto-complete cache (just arrow down to it when it pops up and hit the Delete key) and pick it off the address list again. Might want to specifically force a send/receive of the address book as well.

If it's an Exchange issue (i.e. it doesn't work in OWA either) it might be an old issue with the Information Store caching these permissions; I remember that from 2007 and I think the refresh was 120 minutes or you could restart the Information Store :psyduck:

Cool. Thanks! I'll keep that in mind as I add more people to the new system.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Crackbone posted:

Good god, yes, get a wildcard domain SSL. It was a major PITA to setup with a single cert involving pulling shenanigans with public DNS SRV records to get autodiscover to work correctly.
Wildcard is kind of dangerous because anyone can walk off with a cert that will give them keys to the kingdom, so to speak, in the event of a spoofing situation.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Misogynist posted:

Wildcard is kind of dangerous because anyone can walk off with a cert that will give them keys to the kingdom, so to speak, in the event of a spoofing situation.

Fair enough, I'll amend to say trying to make all exchange services work off a single-site cert sucks.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Does anyone use the remote wipe feature of exchange 2010/13? I know how to do the wipe but I am curious if the phone displays any information about the wipe after it is reset. I have read that when it reboots there is something that says a remote wipe occurred but I am wondering if it will say anything about who initiated it or what server gave the command.

If there is a message, can it be customized? Can i put something like "This phone is property of 'company', please call 'number' to arrange return of 'company' property."?

geera
May 20, 2003
So we got hit over the weekend by the iOS 6.1/6.1.1 bug. This of course filled up the mailstore that the user's account was on until it unmounted the database. I was able to disable his ActiveSync access and perform a defrag to get enough space back to re-mount the database. I'm running a full backup currently to hopefully take care of all 15,000+ log files that were created. The issue that I have now is that it still seems like the drive is bleeding space as I've been monitoring it today and I'm not sure why. We don't have another runaway iOS device, this bleed is much slower, but we've still lost about 2 GB over the past 5 hours for some reason. At that rate the drive will fill up again by some time tomorrow.

Is there a utility or something that will let me see the activity on the server for a specific mailstore? Mail flow, disk writes (and who's writing it), etc... anything that will help me pin down what's going on?

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

geera posted:

So we got hit over the weekend by the iOS 6.1/6.1.1 bug. This of course filled up the mailstore that the user's account was on until it unmounted the database. I was able to disable his ActiveSync access and perform a defrag to get enough space back to re-mount the database. I'm running a full backup currently to hopefully take care of all 15,000+ log files that were created. The issue that I have now is that it still seems like the drive is bleeding space as I've been monitoring it today and I'm not sure why. We don't have another runaway iOS device, this bleed is much slower, but we've still lost about 2 GB over the past 5 hours for some reason. At that rate the drive will fill up again by some time tomorrow.

Is there a utility or something that will let me see the activity on the server for a specific mailstore? Mail flow, disk writes (and who's writing it), etc... anything that will help me pin down what's going on?

Exmon is a tool that will show you user activity and how it relates to system resources (including transactional logging). I've only ever used it on 2003/2007 boxes and I know there is a 2010 version but I haven't used it yet.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

geera posted:

Exchange 2010? We had a similar issue due to an unpatched RTM version or unpatched SP1 version of 2010 where the Database grew exponentially out of control. Fix was to install the SP2 + latest rollup, and then move mailboxes to a new database =\.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I am having one hell of a headache with Exchange 2007 SP3, My boss wants me to increase the max attachment size of files in OWA to 75MB. Now I realize most businesses will kick back attachments of this size from being received, however I still need to get this done. I have adjusted the max attachment size to 75MB for a test user and can successfully send via OWA to our company such as;

UserA using owa can send a 30MB attachment to UserB using outlook or OWA.

However, when UserA sends an attachment 20MB to UserC(at)gmail the message is kicked back from our exchange server for MAX file size limit.

Everything I see look says my max file size if at 75MB, however mail still can't be sent to remote mail servers.

I have restarted the exchange services, do I just need to reboot the whole thing? Really at a loss right now.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

I have restarted the exchange services, do I just need to reboot the whole thing? Really at a loss right now.
If i remember correctly all you need to restart is the services, but there's limits on serveral places, have you upped the limit everywhere in the exchange console? and in the shell?

There should be one on the send connector too if i remember correctly (only a 2003 to look at here).

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

underlig posted:

If i remember correctly all you need to restart is the services, but there's limits on serveral places, have you upped the limit everywhere in the exchange console? and in the shell?

There should be one on the send connector too if i remember correctly (only a 2003 to look at here).

Yeah I have set them to all exact matches. Get-TransportConfig in EMS verifies my settings are correct as well.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Corvettefisher posted:

Yeah I have set them to all exact matches. Get-TransportConfig in EMS verifies my settings are correct as well.

Check your send-connectors; there's a limit there.

Remember the places that you can set size limits:

1) Organizational level
2) Send-connector
3) Receive-connector
4) User level
5) there were limits on the Storage Group or whatever in 2007 as well, weren't there?

edit: are you using an Edge Transport server? Make sure its send connector has a limit adjusted as well.

geera
May 20, 2003

Will Styles posted:

Exmon is a tool that will show you user activity and how it relates to system resources (including transactional logging). I've only ever used it on 2003/2007 boxes and I know there is a 2010 version but I haven't used it yet.
Yeah I've been using ExMon, but it doesn't seem to keep a running total for each user when you refresh... it just shows all new data so it's hard to follow from refresh to refresh. Maybe I'm just using it wrong.

Gyshall posted:

Exchange 2010? We had a similar issue due to an unpatched RTM version or unpatched SP1 version of 2010 where the Database grew exponentially out of control. Fix was to install the SP2 + latest rollup, and then move mailboxes to a new database =\.
Yup, 2010. I hadn't heard of that issue, but I believe we're at the latest patch level. It's crazy how many ways Exchange has to go haywire, and how it seems like the default behavior is just to "crash the database" instead of responding intelligently.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Corvettefisher posted:

From what I remember in Exchange, internal mail limits count as a receive (as in the message store receives the message), and external mail is the Send Connector. Makes no sense to me either.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

geera posted:

Yeah I've been using ExMon, but it doesn't seem to keep a running total for each user when you refresh... it just shows all new data so it's hard to follow from refresh to refresh. Maybe I'm just using it wrong.

Yeah ExMon is more for a look at what's happening in the moment. I found it best to sort based on logging activity, then if the same person is consistently logging a lot then they're easy to find.

Also you can use the Get-StoreUsageStatistics command in powershell in Exchange 2010 which will give you information for over the past hour. When I notice a large amount of logging I'll run the below for an easy view of who's generating the most logging on a particular database

code:
Get-StoreUsageStatistics -Database <database that is running out of space> | ? { $_.DigestCategory -eq 'LogBytes' } | sort LogRecordBytes | ft DisplayName,SampleTime,LogRecordCount,LogRecordBytes

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy
Any of you doing hosted exchange at appriver? Someone I know just moved a client to them recently, and the service is now down indefinitely. Appriver claims it was a bad update and their recommendation was to move to another hosted exchange provider. :psyduck:

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Briantist posted:

Any of you doing hosted exchange at appriver? Someone I know just moved a client to them recently, and the service is now down indefinitely. Appriver claims it was a bad update and their recommendation was to move to another hosted exchange provider. :psyduck:

hahaha what. No, but please tell us more as you hear about it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Briantist posted:

Holy poo poo. I thought the occasional issue with Office365 was bad, but that's just loving insane.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy
Well I spoke to my friend and he said that they're back up now but I'm pretty sure he's still looking for another provider. I don't have a whole lot of detail on what the problem was though.

tjl
Aug 6, 2005

Corvettefisher posted:

I am having one hell of a headache with Exchange 2007 SP3, My boss wants me to increase the max attachment size of files in OWA to 75MB.
:catstare:

Configuring your server is only half the equation. I can't think of a mail server (or MTA) in the world that would accept something that large... At least not any of the big names like Yahoo, Google, Microsoft, Apple, pretty much all ISPs globally, educational/gov, as well as companies with sensible attachment limits.

Just to be sure I'm reading this correctly: You are trying to send a 20MB attachment from your Exchange environment to an @gmail account? Gmail will kick that back as it will likely exceed their 25MB limit once it's been MIME encoded. MIME adds filesize overhead, about 33% more... so 20MB expands to ~26MB in transit. Maybe the bounce looks like it's coming from your server... perhaps. But I'm thinking that Gmail is actually kicking it back.

You simply cannot reliably send files that large to public mail servers. I think that upping your Exchange limits is the wrong solution to your attachment problem, and you should try and explain that to your boss. You are sending year-2013-sized files using a standard developed (and perpetually stuck in) 1992.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Eh, I always have a habit of configuring the max attachment size to 100MB for all of my clients when rolling out servers. because if I don't, they will just ask me to later.
Usually it's for sending pdfs to other companies etc so it's fine.

I do have the same problem with the attachment limit in OWA though, nothing I do seems to resolve the issue even after increasing the iis clientmaxrequestsize to be 100MB I can't attach anything larger than around 25MB.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
You may may need to modify the web.config file and modify the IIS config to allow larger attachments.

web.config, modify the httpruntime portion (40 mb)
<httpruntime executionTimeout="300" maxRequestLength="40960">

IIS config (40 mb)
C:\windows\system32\inetsrv\appcmd set config "Default Web Site/owa" -section:requestFiltering -requestLimits:maxAllowedContentLength:41943040

Technet: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996835(v=exchg.80).aspx

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I'm going to read this entire thread, but does anyone who used to host in-house Exchange have regrets about o365? Or using Dell's o365 service?

My initial introduction of o365 today was a disaster as Microsoft "engineers" kept talking us out of options when they learned about how many seats we really needed. Plus when they were showing us Exchange, they wouldn't go into spam/antivirus options. I believe my question, of "How do I look at filtered emails in case an important one was tagged?" was the problem. I was really annoyed with our Dell reps as I did not want to spend 30 mins getting my business needs right when Dell should've already addressed this in the first place.

edit: I'm reading the thread now, oh man that's why they poo poo on all discussion for ADFS for SSO.

ghostinmyshell fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 30, 2013

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I am going to take a shot in the dark here and ask this even though Exchange 2003 is ridiculously ancient. I have an interesting issue to say the least. My uncle has solicited me for help with his SMB IT issues since "family discount" etc. Anyway I digress. He's running Exchange 2003 on a 2003 domain. The only domain controller died- HD died and mobo seems to be fried. What I'm trying to figure out is how can I A. preserve exchange mailbox data and B. get it reconnected to a new domain with the same users (or in a fashion that lets me recreate each user by hand)

I've googled the gently caress out of this and found a potential solution but I'm unsure how viable-

1. Install server 2003 on a new machine and use the same domain name
2. Install exchange 2003 on the machine and use the same OU
3. Install service packs if necessary
4. Dismount new exchange 2003 DB, and bring over old server's exchange DB files and overwrite the new exchange db files with them
5. Mount the store
6. Run the cleanup agent and create an LDF file from the disconnected users
7. Clean the file and import that back into ADUC with Ldifde
8. Reconnect the mailboxes to the newly created users in ADUC

Some extra information that I'm not sure if it makes it more complicated or easier:
-Only 15 mailboxes
-Most of them are larger than 2 GB
-User security not an issue (meaning I can do password resets if necessary)
-These are the only two servers that require the domain. Others are not on the domain, have their own policies and what not.

If anyone has any thoughts it would be much appreciated.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

vyst posted:

What I'm trying to figure out is how can I A. preserve exchange mailbox data and B. get it reconnected to a new domain with the same users (or in a fashion that lets me recreate each user by hand)
As another option you could also try to extract edb to pst, to get the mailboxes out from the maildb itself and then import the mails to the new exchange from each client, if all else fails i mean.

Do you know what servicepack level the old server was on?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

underlig posted:

As another option you could also try to extract edb to pst, to get the mailboxes out from the maildb itself and then import the mails to the new exchange from each client, if all else fails i mean.

Do you know what servicepack level the old server was on?

That's probably what I am looking at doing if there's no better way.

Both the exchange server and the dead DC were Enterprise SP2.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

New weird Exchange 2010 issue (I think I'll be having a lot of these, so I apologize in advance)

A user has setup a rule to forward an email with a specific subject to another account. It's acknowledged as a server-side rule, but the forward part of it isn't working. I even added a "mark as read" to the rule to see if the rule was running at all, and the mark as read part worked, but it's still not forwarding. Any idea?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

Frozen-Solid posted:

New weird Exchange 2010 issue (I think I'll be having a lot of these, so I apologize in advance)

A user has setup a rule to forward an email with a specific subject to another account. It's acknowledged as a server-side rule, but the forward part of it isn't working. I even added a "mark as read" to the rule to see if the rule was running at all, and the mark as read part worked, but it's still not forwarding. Any idea?

If it's marking it as read, the rule is running. Double-check the destination of the forward? Anything in the event logs?

--
Now, my own question:

Finally migrated everything to Exchange 2010. Final step is to uninstall Exchange 2003 and turn off that 10-year old server. I can't find the media, and apparently I can't just do an "Add/Remove Programs" to uninstall... so, what do I download from Microsoft to get this taken care of? I've got "Exchange 2003 Standard Edition" listed on the Volume Licensing, and I've downloaded everything I can find, but nothing takes me to what I expect to see. :argh:

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Alfajor posted:

Finally migrated everything to Exchange 2010. Final step is to uninstall Exchange 2003 and turn off that 10-year old server. I can't find the media, and apparently I can't just do an "Add/Remove Programs" to uninstall... so, what do I download from Microsoft to get this taken care of? I've got "Exchange 2003 Standard Edition" listed on the Volume Licensing, and I've downloaded everything I can find, but nothing takes me to what I expect to see. :argh:

Google for "remove exchange 2003 adsiedit". You'll want to just power the server off, remove the computer object and rip out the references to it in adsiedit.

Did you leave the 2k3 server on for a while and check the messagetrackinglogs every few days to make sure nothing's using it anymore? Always a good idea before you start clobbering things with adsiedit.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Frozen-Solid posted:

Check your mail logs to see if a message is being generated and possibly being routed somewhere else (via a transport rule maybe) or blocked by a spam filter. Test the rule on a different mailbox or with a different recipient of the forward.

What you're trying to do should work, so the first step is to isolate where the problem is.

Alfajor posted:

If you're uninstalling Exchange 2003 Add/Remove Programs should be all you need http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125110(v=exchg.65).aspx. You may need to point it to the exchsrvr directory on the install media during the removal process.

You can use adsiedit to remove the old exchange servers, this was discussed a few pages back and might be worth your time to read. If the physical server is still there I'd suggest trying to work out the uninstall problem before messing around in adsiedit.

Edit: fixed the technet link

Will Styles fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 4, 2013

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I got the auto-forward working. There were a few options I missed on the Hub Transport to enable auto forwarding. As soon as I did that it started working.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Mierdaan posted:

Google for "remove exchange 2003 adsiedit". You'll want to just power the server off, remove the computer object and rip out the references to it in adsiedit.

Did you leave the 2k3 server on for a while and check the messagetrackinglogs every few days to make sure nothing's using it anymore? Always a good idea before you start clobbering things with adsiedit.

Yup, the 2k3 server is still on and nothing's hit it in a couple of days, so I'm ready to rip it out. I'd rather do the non-adsiedit if possible.

Will Styles posted:

If you're uninstalling Exchange 2003 Add/Remove Programs should be all you need http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125110%28v=exchg.65%29.aspx. You may need to point it to the exchsrvr directory on the install media during the removal process.

You can use adsiedit to remove the old exchange servers, this was discussed a few pages back and might be worth your time to read. If the physical server is still there I'd suggest trying to work out the uninstall problem before messing around in adsiedit.

That Technet link: "Server Error in '/' Application." :argh:
I'll try it again later, but thanks.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Alfajor posted:

That Technet link: "Server Error in '/' Application." :argh:
I'll try it again later, but thanks.

Just pull the errant period out of the link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125110%28v=exchg.65%29.aspx

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Corvettefisher posted:

My boss wants me to increase the max attachment size of files in OWA to 75MB.

We deployed a Zend.to server for easy-to-use large file transfers. Threw a SSL cert on it, installed and stored on an encrypted partition. Easy-peasy secure file transfers with an automated 14-day file expiration. It's even got download tracking.

Now I get to keep my reasonable 10MB attachment limit and the end user cries of agony are a distant memory.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

With a server like Exchange, how would you determine if you need more memory or not? I know the database will do it's best to cache as much as it can, but does it ever reach a point where it doesn't feel like it has to keep sucking up memory for caching?

Right now we are floating between 8.3-8.5 GB out of 10 GB free, and it seems to be running just great. We have some spare memory that I can allocate to it, but I'm not sure if it's worth the increase or not. If I give it another 2-4 GB, would it just start using the same % of memory, or should I only worry about allocating more if it gets to the point it's using close to 100% of it's memory?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Ohgod, I didn't even notice that. gently caress. Sorry guys.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Frozen-Solid posted:

With a server like Exchange, how would you determine if you need more memory or not? I know the database will do it's best to cache as much as it can, but does it ever reach a point where it doesn't feel like it has to keep sucking up memory for caching?

Right now we are floating between 8.3-8.5 GB out of 10 GB free, and it seems to be running just great. We have some spare memory that I can allocate to it, but I'm not sure if it's worth the increase or not. If I give it another 2-4 GB, would it just start using the same % of memory, or should I only worry about allocating more if it gets to the point it's using close to 100% of it's memory?

It will chew up a lot of memory, but that's normal. You can use the Microsoft sizing guides to figure out how much memory your environment should need. How many users do you have, and what's your mailbox count (and total DB size)?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

madsushi posted:

It will chew up a lot of memory, but that's normal. You can use the Microsoft sizing guides to figure out how much memory your environment should need. How many users do you have, and what's your mailbox count (and total DB size)?

We're relatively tiny. 75 mailboxes, total mailbox DB size is 25 GB. The minimum for a single server with all 4 roles was 10 GB, which is what I gave the VM to start with. My original sizing estimates based on Microsoft's guides were 8-12 GB. We're not using Unified Messaging, so 2 GB for each role + 2 GB cache made 8 GB. The consulting company we hire insisted we absolutely couldn't make an Exchange server without 16 GB of memory which seems ridiculous to me.

Since we're at 8.3/10GB right now, I'm not sure what actual % I should expect, or how I would tell if I SHOULD give it another few gigs. I obviously don't want to over allocate, since it's a VM and if it doesn't need it, it's not going to get it.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Frozen-Solid posted:

We're relatively tiny. 75 mailboxes, total mailbox DB size is 25 GB. The minimum for a single server with all 4 roles was 10 GB, which is what I gave the VM to start with. My original sizing estimates based on Microsoft's guides were 8-12 GB. We're not using Unified Messaging, so 2 GB for each role + 2 GB cache made 8 GB. The consulting company we hire insisted we absolutely couldn't make an Exchange server without 16 GB of memory which seems ridiculous to me.

Since we're at 8.3/10GB right now, I'm not sure what actual % I should expect, or how I would tell if I SHOULD give it another few gigs. I obviously don't want to over allocate, since it's a VM and if it doesn't need it, it's not going to get it.

Memory's cheap and worrying about email is expensive. Just add more?

Look in the exchange management console toolkit, I think there's some performance monitoring thing in there. Also keep in mind that back pressure is a thing, so if exchange is really hard up for resources, and you're watching there eventlog, you will know about it.

Edit: awful app :arghfist:

Mierdaan fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
What's everyone using for an archiving app?