Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe

Chicken Biscuits posted:

I thought maybe I was getting a UTI (Never had one before, so I don't know what's normal with it), so I was able to get in a week early for my next scheduled midwife appointment. The urine test came back negative, but they're doing a culture (?) test to see if that comes up with anything. The only thing I've really felt was a little pain in my bladder area after I pee, and then random sharp pains afterward, sometimes lasting a couple hours. The midwife said it could also just be the baby bouncing on my bladder. I'm only 13 weeks, is the baby even big enough to start causing me pain like that? :) Everything looks normal, so I won't worry, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience and whether UTIs typically feel much worse.

Ughhhh, this has been my biggest complaint (that and the stuffy nose). I've had a handful of UTI's in my life and they were pretty awful. I thought I had one a month or so ago (I'm 30 weeks now) but it turned out to not be. It's lessened a bit but it's been annoying since around 24 weeks. I at first didn't think anything of it because I'm drinking way more water, and I'm pregnant so I'm peeing all the time, but it feels like I'm not emptying my bladder fully, like, it feels like if I could pee standing up I'd be able to though, and my urethra constantly feels irritated and/or like it's spasming. Annoying, but nowhere near as severe as previous UTI's were, and I've had a bunch of cultures come back negative. It's hard to tell sometimes what's normal pregnancy stuff and what's a problem! Hope you find relief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I was a VBAC homebirth in the 80's and I made it. :getin:

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 4, 2013

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Re: Carrier talk.

I saw these Stokke carriers get released a while ago but haven't seen them anywhere to try one on, none of the baby shops I've been into have had them in stock. They look interesting with the inside/outside/back carrying options, and Stokke is supposed to be a good brand. Has anyone had experience with these at all? After all this chitchat I'm considering structured carrier options for when kiddo gets bigger.

Re: C-section talk

I had to have an emergency c-section when I got induced for being past the 41 week mark. Mine was weird though, they applied the first lot of the Prostaglandin gel and 6 hours later they put me on a monitor before giving me the second. In that time I had not dialated at all, I had no contractions, no pains, just the odd braxton hicks type tightening. However, the little dude's heart rate would be up around the 160bpm then suddenly plummet to 115-120bpm and hang there for a bit before jumping back up. After the midwife watched it happen for a few minutes she went and got the doctors who consulted with the head OB and blammo, I was being wheeled to surgery. It was surreal.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

iwik posted:

However, the little dude's heart rate would be up around the 160bpm then suddenly plummet to 115-120bpm and hang there for a bit before jumping back up. After the midwife watched it happen for a few minutes she went and got the doctors who consulted with the head OB and blammo, I was being wheeled to surgery. It was surreal.

Hm. When I gave birth to my daughter, something similar would happen. Her heart rate was consistently a bit higher than they like it (155-160), with some dips. They never mentioned a section. What they did do was put an electrode on her to monitor better, give me some iv fluids (I was dehydrated from having thrown up a lot) and eventually they took a blood sample of the baby to see if she was distressed.

She came out fine. They said the heart rate thing was probably because I was dehydrated and had a slight temperature.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

^^ I also got the electrodes on both of my kids for monitoring due to fluctuations in rates. A c-section was mention briefly with my daughter (due to a cyst I had, nothing to do with the birth) and not at all with my son. Mine mentioned the heart rate thing was probably the contractions and my uterus squeezing my daughter. Which makes sense. I guess she was squeezed so hard she pooped :haw:

iwik posted:

I had to have an emergency c-section when I got induced for being past the 41 week mark.

I'm glad you brought this up. This is another good point - you don't have to be induced if you're past your due date. Unless you're having medical complications it's not necessary. That's another thing OBs push on women. I know many women who have gone 1-2 weeks past their due dates (some slightly longer). Again, I think we're just super overly cautious here in the US (and probably other countries like Canada and AU) for liability reasons.

I'm using "you" as a general term, fyi. Not directing the comment towards iwik. :)

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 4, 2013

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Yeah 41 weeks isn't really any danger as long as they check on the baby and mother to see that everything is good. Here in Norway the rule of thumb for starting to talk about induction is 42 weeks (unless there is some specific problem indicating otherwise). I went to 41+3 with my son, 42 weeks with my daughter. It wasn't fun, but I felt very safe. They had me come in for monitoring regularly at the end.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Yeah, it was odd. I think their main concern was that there was no reason for his heart rate to be dropping, it would do it every couple of minutes, hang low for about 30 seconds or so then pop back up again. They could see on the monitor that there were no contractions happening that would account for it and I was only 1cm dilated the entire time (despite 2 sweeps in the weeks leading up to it, plus the gel) so they decided the best place for him was out.

They used forceps somehow too, so perhaps he was just wedged in a corner somewhere and couldn't get himself out. Or my body decided that pooping a baby was just not something it was prepared to do.

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007
It looks like the carrier talk is almost over, but I have to mention Onya carriers. I found them at my local outdoors store, and tried one on... and WOW. I've used Boba and Ergo soft structured carriers, Baby Hawk mei tais, Sleepy Wraps and ring slings, and this Onya was amazing. I have serious arthritis in my back (which is why we have so many carriers), and this one was the only one I could carry my daughter in comfortably for any long period of time. The hip belt is wide and padded, it can go on the front or the back, and has an attached hood that fits into a clever pocket. It also turns into a chair seat for your kiddo!

We also have a Kokopax backpack that we found out about from earlier incarnations of this thread, and my partner loved wearing our daughter in it when she was a bit older. We used it for ages. I liked the feature that if you take it off, it'll stand up on its own with kiddo inside to help you get them in and out.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 22, 2017

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

I love the Ergo, it's the most comfortable on my back, but FYI at nearly 7 weeks old my kiddo doesnt need the infant insert. He fits comfortably in it with his legs froggied and it supports his head without mushing his face up against me.

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

I love the Ergo, too--I've carried my son in it since he was a newborn. Now he's two and change, and loves to ride on my back in the Ergo. It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that you can move the cross strap in back up and down; it was jammed into my throat for quite awhile. =/ But now it's great, super comfortable!

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
The cross strap adjustment took me a while too. I never could reach behind my back to clip it... and then I discovered it could be moved up. The Ergo got a lot more use after that.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Does anyone have any recommendations for things I can try to relieve morning sickness? I am feeling ill 24/7 and I feel like it's getting slowly more intense with time. I'm only at 6 weeks at the moment and I've been told it might settle after 12 weeks, but that's still six more weeks of me having a lot of trouble functioning.

So far I've tried peppermint tea which did work for a little while but then caused my heartburn to get ridiculously bad so I'm not keen to try that again, and chamomile tea which didn't seem to help very much. I am not a fan of ginger, but I suppose I'd be willing to try it if someone told me that it really made a difference for them, I am wary of it making my heartburn worse though :(

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Ginger has been used to treat heartburn, but can also cause heartburn.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.
I liked Captains Wafers crackers, dry cereal, and sour patch kids (not together. Ew.) I pretty much ate 24/7.
Also fizzy pop or those flavored seltzer water thingys.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Try eating a small snack every hour or two. I also liked using orange oil on my hands so if I got a whiff of something horrible, I could counteract it quickly.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
Something with a little bit of protein usually helped me. I went through a ridiculous amount of greek yogurt. Peanut butter, with or without crackers, was also a good snack.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I found motion to be a trigger so for me the key was keeping something on the nightstand so that I could reach over and grab something to nibble while laying completely flat. If I sat up, forget it.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
You can always get medication too. It's been safely used for many years.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Full disclosure: I had no morning sickness. I was nauseous till about 10 weeks, but it was very very very mild, as long as I didn't get right out of bed, and as long as I didn't let my stomach get empty. I swore by Sea Bands myself. I always made sure to have some crackers on the bedside table and munched a couple before I even moved my head. I can't say the Sea Bands helped but I can say I didn't have morning sickness!

If it's bad, call your doctor though, there's plenty of meds that are safe.

Daemoxx
Oct 20, 2007
[witty comment goes here]
I know I'm a bit late on this, but I was another C-section after failed induction. I spent weeks 28-37 having horrible full-on contractions nearly every night, to the point where my doctor prescribed me a bottle of pain pills and told me to feel free to take one if they got really bad (she knew already that I wasn't a fan of pain medicine and wouldn't take it unless I needed), and to call her if that didn't put me to sleep. I was in L&D every week or so with clearly trackable contractions 2-3 minutes apart that I couldn't stand or talk through, and half the time they were causing me to vomit every time I had one. At 37 weeks, I was already dilated to 3cm and mostly effaced, and they gave me the choice of being on morphine rest in the hospital and trying to keep her in until 40 weeks, or doing an amnio to test the lungs and then inducing.

Amnio came back clear, and I wasn't comfortable with 2-3 weeks straight of morphine, so we went ahead and induced. Everything started slowly, took about 20-24 hours to get to 4cm, and then suddenly I was at 8cm within an hour or two. Got stuck there until the 36-hour mark at which point they determined that she had gotten herself stuck. I'm a bit fuzzy on the timing but it went to a C after that and honestly at that point I just wanted her out so I couldn't care less. I'm small as hell and my fiance is tall, so I wasn't entirely surprised that it came to that, either.

To some degree I wish I'd been able to have her without surgery, but I'm honestly glad I had her then instead of trying to continue to push to 40 weeks. The entire pregnancy was a parade of misery, symptom-wise, and while it was entirely worth it I don't think I could have handled another three weeks of the baby trolling us. She was happy and healthy at birth, and is doing great now at 6 weeks.

Bee: I had some unholy morning sickness. Get some Zofran, it is a miracle drug and if you get the dissolving version it takes effect almost instantly and you'll feel so much better. I was taking it around the clock and it kept me eating and working and not feeling awful. The midwife also suggested Unisom (the doxylamine succinate kind, not the kind with melatonin) with a Vitamin B6 supplement taken at night. Didn't do much for me but she said she'd had really good luck with it.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
I felt horribly queasy whenever I didn't have something in my stomach, so I constantly nibbled. Combined with the lack of activity from feeling completely worn out all the time I gained 15 pounds or so over the first trimester :v: Started out as a twig, through, so no biggie.

But what alleviates morning sickness is so different from one person to the next, so you really just have to try things untill you find what works for you.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Wow, thanks so much for all the suggestions everyone. I've been nibbling crackers and that is definitely making a bit of a difference. :)

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

Lullabee posted:

How was the ergo on your back? A wonderful woman I met on my local area mommy group on Facebook is sending me her ergo with infant insert for free.

That's great! There's nothing better than freebies! I know there is a lot of Ergo love out there, so I'm sure you'll be fine. I didn't ever get on the bandwagon though; I found the straps and hip belt too narrow and squishy, they stretch out of shape and fade, and older babies always look like they're going to fall out because the sides seem too low. It was ok on my back, but not great because of the narrower straps, and a couple of my friends who wore theirs all the time said the straps got even worse as the baby got bigger.

I like the Onya better because the straps are wider and firmer (and don't narrow over time) and the padding is stitched in, the fabric is synthetic on the outside, so they wipe clean easier, the tightener straps have these clever elastics so you're not trailing straps everywhere, the inside is mesh so kiddo stays cooler, and the sides are higher. It was great how long the straps were, too, and how easy it was to switch back and forth between users. And... it turns into a seat for your older baby as well!

Having spinal arthritis really did me in. I wanted to baby wear all the time, but I really had to limit how long I carried my daughter. I'm sure that if your back is ok, you'll be able to do fine with the Ergo. I've read that their infant insert can be used in other carriers, too. We used a sleepy wrap when my daughter was quite little, and it was amazing until she got too heavy. The straps spread really wide, so the weight is spread out, and it just ties on, so it fits both my partner and me.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Stop giving me carrier envy! I can't afford ANOTHER one!

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 22, 2017

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

bee posted:

Wow, thanks so much for all the suggestions everyone. I've been nibbling crackers and that is definitely making a bit of a difference. :)

I found that giving in to my cravings during the first trimester did help some. Even if they seemed like things that should be bad for nausea or heartburn. I still wound up needing to be on pretty substantial amounts of medication to get through though.

If you want to manage without meds and are able to, great! If you aren't able to drink enough liquid though, you need to talk to your doc about meds sooner rather than later though, even if you aren't actually throwing up! Dehydration is way worse for you and the baby than the meds they will put you on, which are used quite a bit because this is such a common issue.

Generally, it's good to try starting with B6 and Unisom (Doxylamine) as a combo, which is the oldest and most studied morning sickness medication. Talk to your doc for dosages. If that doesn't work you might need to add other meds or switch to something else. I wound up on both B6/Unisom and Zofran to make it so I was able to stay hydrated and not lose weight. Without meds I'd have been hospitalized multiple times. With them I only had about two weeks of being non-functional due to the nausea (which luckily overlapped with me being on bed rest for other reasons). The rest of the time I wasn't exactly happy, but I could go to school and work. So they are definitely worth it if you end up needing them.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Disclaimer: I never had morning sickness or heartburn. None. So, I don't know if this works for sickness or not.
But! I know ginger is good for nausea, and I know when I'm feeling really crap because of a cold/flu bug or something this helps. I drank it often because I had a lot of snuffly noses.

Get 1 cup. Add a swizzle of honey and a few slices of fresh ginger to it (probably 2-3 thinnish ones, you can peel it if you want but I don't bother). Fill with hot water and stir to dissolve the honey. Let it sit for a few minutes to steep (and cool to a drinkable temperature) then sip gently.

It's very soothing.

I don't know if the honey would also make heartburn flare up too though, I guess it all depends on your triggers.

iwik fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 7, 2013

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
This is getting ridiculous. The kid has settled so firmly in on the right side of my stomach that she's now squishing my ribs on that side and making it uncomfortable to just sit normally (which sucks when my job involves working on the computer. Standing gets old quickly).
You've got the entire left side of my stomach to play around in, silly baby! Grow sideways a bit, not just upwards!

Also I'm loopsided when I'm lying on my back :saddowns:

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Sockmuppet posted:

This is getting ridiculous. The kid has settled so firmly in on the right side of my stomach that she's now squishing my ribs on that side and making it uncomfortable to just sit normally (which sucks when my job involves working on the computer. Standing gets old quickly).
You've got the entire left side of my stomach to play around in, silly baby! Grow sideways a bit, not just upwards!

Also I'm loopsided when I'm lying on my back :saddowns:

Mine has been like this since ~24 weeks? Except on the left side. And she's still there and my ribs still hurt like a bitch by the end of a few hours of sitting. I'm 37 weeks tomorrow.

It used to be that laying down overnight meant I woke up with little to no pain in my ribs, so I kind of got a reset every night. Now her butt is so firmly planted in my ribs that even when I'm laying down there is still pressure, so I never get complete relief from it. It helps a bit to lay on my right side, but then she kicks me in the ribs on my right because apparently she doesn't like that position. Sitting up really straight also helps a bit. And sometimes putting an ace wrap around my chest across my ribs can ease the pain for a little while. Mostly I think I've just learned to put up with it.

Sorry you are stuck with the same thing!

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Nooo, I was hoping for stories about babies moving, not staying put like that. I hope I don't have to put up with rib-butt from now until July :(

It does wonders for my posture, though, I sit up straight like nobody's business!

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Sockmuppet posted:

Nooo, I was hoping for stories about babies moving, not staying put like that. I hope I don't have to put up with rib-butt from now until July :(

It does wonders for my posture, though, I sit up straight like nobody's business!

Just be glad it's her butt in your ribs, not her head :v: Mine would smoosh her big old head into my ribs all day long, and tickle me in the side with her feet. Silly buttbabbies!

No but seriously, you have my sympathies. Being pregnant can be very uncomfortable. I'm glad I'm not, ha! Although at 7 weeks post partum my hips have decided that acting up is super sensible, so I waddle around like a cow with arthritis.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

rectal cushion posted:

Just be glad it's her butt in your ribs, not her head :v:

To be honest I have no idea which end it is, it feels like she does flips in there on a regular basis. I'll ask at my midwife appointment on Wednesday, I'm pretty curious. There are bits bulging out here and there, but they're all just vaguely rounded and could be anything but elbows, really.

I'm glad for you that spring is finally here - waddling is easier on bare pavements, at least!

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
After two weeks of sitting about in hospital I started having contractions at 11.30pm and have birth at one o'clock the next day. Ellie was only 34 weeks so she's now in special care with monitors and tubes all over her but it looks as though she'll be fine. she weighed 5lb which is hopefully a good sign and her lungs are in good shape. I feel a bit useless now sitting about not being able to do much but have been hand expressing which helps me feel more connected.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

After two weeks of sitting about in hospital I started having contractions at 11.30pm and have birth at one o'clock the next day. Ellie was only 34 weeks so she's now in special care with monitors and tubes all over her but it looks as though she'll be fine. she weighed 5lb which is hopefully a good sign and her lungs are in good shape. I feel a bit useless now sitting about not being able to do much but have been hand expressing which helps me feel more connected.

Could I make a recommendation after just going through this a couple months back with a 6 week preemie as well? If your baby is going to be in for a while, get your husband/partner home as soon as possible, and get yourself checked out and back home as soon as you can. You'll feel terrible about it and think that you're a horrible person, but you'll soon find that spending every waking moment in the NICU is so incredibly hard that you won't make it more than a couple days.

Ours was only in the NICU and Special Care for 13 days, but even a few days being there non-stop are just too draining. The midwives/nurses/doctors all told us that we'd be in a much better state if we slept at home and came back every morning, and they were so 100% correct. Being able to nothing but watch is so frustrating, and watching the monitors for 18 hours a day just has you freaking out at every little beep. Trying to sleep in a hospital bed a few hours each night just leave you a walking zombie.

Ours was on a 3 hour rotation with checks/nappy changes/feeds/etc..., and their recommendation of trying to hit a few of those each day was the perfect way to go about it. You're still there for the important bits, but not there for the hours of downtime where she just sleeps and the monitors beep. For example, my wife would be there for the 8AM and 11AM rounds, then get lunch and take a nap, then pick me up from work for the 5PM and 8PM rounds. On the weekends we'd try to hit most of the daytime rounds.

This kept us in a much better state of mind, and it also let me save up my few weeks of paternity leave to use when our son was actually home, instead of wasting it siting in the hospital.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
Seconding everything JBark posted. I had my son right at 34 weeks last February. He was in the NICU for 9 or 10 days and holy poo poo. Postpartum hormone dump, baby-in-the-NICU stress and trying to establish expressing/pumping/breastfeeding if you're doing that--all while juggling the rest of your family--is super rough, so you need to rest as much as you can. If you get so run down that you catch something, you may have to stay away for a few days.

My husband and I made it a point to be there for feedings and cares as much as we could and did lots of skin-to-skin. The nurses were really good about scheduling baths and stuff like that for when we'd be present while also making sure our little guy wasn't getting too worn out in the process. They explained all of the monitors, wires and tubes to us as well as how to tell the difference between when a monitor alarm was going off because of something serious and when it was going off because a wire had detached or was positioned poorly. Fortunately for us, we never got any serious alarms.

I posted about it once or twice in the thread at the time, but that period was such an emotional, exhausted haze that I'm a little fuzzy on it now. Take care, and I hope you get to take your little girl home with you soon.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Thanks for the advice :) they'll be chucking me out in the next couple of days because they need the bed but living so far away is going to make it difficult. hopefully it won't be for too long though. it really has been an emotional roller coaster, i don't think I've cried as much in my life as i have these last two weeks.

sorry for spelling and punctuation, my phone is awful for typing on.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Rooting for you and your little girl, hookerbot5000.
It sounds like such a harrowing experience, hopefully you'll both be safe and sound at home as soon as possible.

In less important news, my buttbaby turned out to be headbutting my ribs, not butt-butting them. The midwife wasn't concerned, she said she had plenty of time to turn around. Also I'm apparently awesome at this pregnancy business, every test and measurement the doc/midwife does comes out perfect every time. Very reassuring, and it makes me feel wonderfully accomplished despite not actually doing anything.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I've been thinking about you!

5lbs is pretty awesome for being only 34 weeks, or it seems pretty great to me! Some babies are 5lbs full term.
I'm sure it is incredibly stressful though..things will get better. Will keep you and your little lady in my thoughts. :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Sockmuppet posted:

Rooting for you and your little girl, hookerbot5000.
It sounds like such a harrowing experience, hopefully you'll both be safe and sound at home as soon as possible.

In less important news, my buttbaby turned out to be headbutting my ribs, not butt-butting them. The midwife wasn't concerned, she said she had plenty of time to turn around. Also I'm apparently awesome at this pregnancy business, every test and measurement the doc/midwife does comes out perfect every time. Very reassuring, and it makes me feel wonderfully accomplished despite not actually doing anything.

Oh man. I hope your babby flips and you're not cursed with buttbabby. Both me and my colleague that I share an office with had buttbabbies like a month apart :argh:

That being said, the worst part of having buttbabby was the worrying about it. Actually birthing her was fine.

How many weeks are you?