Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Demiurge4 posted:

Have there been any updates on Jane Jensens kickstarter? The lady who wrote Gabriel Knight.

Backers just got an alpha of a section of Moebius. It's a little rough around the edges. The game has a very distinct visual style going for it, but some of the environments can seem a little sparse. I'm cautiously optimistic. I didn't play much because I just want to play it when it comes out.

They still haven't announced what Mystery Game X is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Demiurge4 posted:

Have there been any updates on Jane Jensens kickstarter? The lady who wrote Gabriel Knight.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/02/moebius-trailer/

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Demiurge4 posted:

Game seems promising from what I played of it. Hard to tell right now much about the overall plot since its just the beginning. There's enough that I'm intrigued to play more.

I wouldn't say any characters really stand out yet though. Certainly nobody like Grace or Gabriel.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

Game seems promising from what I played of it. Hard to tell right now much about the overall plot since its just the beginning. There's enough that I'm intrigued to play more.

I wouldn't say any characters really stand out yet though. Certainly nobody like Grace or Gabriel.

Gabriel Knight was me and my moms first adventure game, I was probably around 12 at the time and we played the crap out of that thing. Best memories. Thinking back I realise I played a lot of games with my parent's not in my age group, 11th hour, Gabriel Knight and Broken Sword.

I didn't put money into Jane Jensens kickstarter but I figure I'll buy her game as a gift for my mom, she misses adventure games.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

Gabriel Knight was me and my moms first adventure game, I was probably around 12 at the time and we played the crap out of that thing. Best memories. Thinking back I realise I played a lot of games with my parent's not in my age group, 11th hour, Gabriel Knight and Broken Sword.

I didn't put money into Jane Jensens kickstarter but I figure I'll buy her game as a gift for my mom, she misses adventure games.

Buy her the four Blackwell games. They're the best.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Divinity got stretchgoals.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin/posts/446704?ref=activity

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Torment just finished at $4,188,927; $4.3m including PayPal backers.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I'm kinda stunned they didn't get more, after the first few days I was expecting them to end up in the 5-5.5 million range. Wonder why it faltered so much.

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!

Kenshin posted:

Shovel Knight just announced that Manami Matsumae, the original composer of Mega Man's soundtrack, will be doing two tracks for their game. :stare:

That's kinda awesome.

I was so excited when I found that out! Especially since I was pledging at the soundtrack level already :)

also, I caved and pledged at the Collector's level for Shroud of the Avatar... couldn't resist.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Scorchy posted:

I'm kinda stunned they didn't get more, after the first few days I was expecting them to end up in the 5-5.5 million range. Wonder why it faltered so much.

Every Kickstarter dries up during the middle.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Great Rumbler posted:

Every Kickstarter dries up during the middle.

Rule of thumb for these big ones seems to be end total = around 3-4 times the first day total, but Torment ended up at 2.4.

Looking at this https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjRsTwF0aHv6dFVwaTF1WTI5b24tbGxpQUdQNU1TSHc#gid=14, all I can conclude is that spamming you with a new update/tier every day like P:E did was a winning strategy.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Scorchy posted:

I didn't back em, they didn't even finish the first game I backed yet. I imagine a lot of people have the same thought.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

LumberingTroll posted:

I didn't back em, they didn't even finish the first game I backed yet. I imagine a lot of people have the same thought.

Most people appear to have no concept of how a game studio needs to operate while still having paid employees.

I expect they'll KS their next project at roughly the same point in Torment's development as well, whatever that project may be.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

NTRabbit posted:

Most people appear to have no concept of how a game studio needs to operate while still having paid employees.

I expect they'll KS their next project at roughly the same point in Torment's development as well, whatever that project may be.
I know precisely why they need money now, and not after Wasteland 2 is done and shipped, but that doesn't mean Lumbering Troll is wrong to wait, and I waited for the same reason. As a studio they haven't really shown me they can make a good game yet. I took the risk on Wasteland 2 but doubling down on Torment is more money than I want to give them without seeing if I'll get anything I want in return. Does it suck that if they want to keep running their studio on Kickstarter money that they won't get money from people like me and Troll? Well, it sucks for them, I guess. But it's not like people who fail to donate to the Torment Kickstarter because they want to see WL2 are in ignorance of how studios work. We're just cautious.

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009
I backed Torment, but at a significantly lower price point than what I backed Wasteland 2, not because I'm less excited for Torment, but much for the same reasons that have been listed above. The only reason I chose to back it at all prior to the release of Wasteland 2 is because they've been making the right noises throughout its development. And in my opinion they did a good job in selling the need for the money prior to the release of Wasteland 2.

I also imagine that they hit a much larger percentage of their potential target audience really early in the campaign (thus a greater proportion of total donations recieved on the first day) because they had the direct contact details of a large number of likely donators from the Wasteland 2 kickstarter. I don't really know the decisions people make that lead them to donate, but for myself if it's a project I'm interested in, I'll generally jump on board as soon as I hear about unless I'm uncertain about the pitch. For Torment, I largely knew the general drift of where the project was heading and knew that I was happy to chip in a bit based on how Wasteland 2 is developing. But I wasn't prepared to throw lots of money at them a second time until they prove that they can actually make a good game, i.e. they finish Wasteland 2.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Scorchy posted:

Rule of thumb for these big ones seems to be end total = around 3-4 times the first day total, but Torment ended up at 2.4.

Looking at this https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjRsTwF0aHv6dFVwaTF1WTI5b24tbGxpQUdQNU1TSHc#gid=14, all I can conclude is that spamming you with a new update/tier every day like P:E did was a winning strategy.

The big difference is that the Torment kickstarter was announced way ahead of time, so a lot of people had time to get the word out and prepare, causing the thing to be somewhat front-loaded. Other campaigns like Project Eternity and Wasteland 2 had no information prior to launch, so people had nothing to anticipate before it started. You can see the result in that it basically plateaued quite quickly after the first day.

That said, I was still expecting 5 million as well and I really think it is the lack of frequent updates that stopped them. They certainly didn't lack content when they did update of course, but they didn't have people constantly coming back and spreading the word about each new development.

Even so, it's a phenomenal result so I can't really begrudge it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LumberingTroll posted:

I didn't back them because they're shitheads cashing in on nostalgia for a great game which they had gently caress all to do with the creation of and which has gently caress all to do with this game.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Jedit posted:

I didn't back them because they're shitheads cashing in on nostalgia for a great game which they had gently caress all to do with the creation of and which has gently caress all to do with this game.

A number of people working on Torment: Tides of Numenera had significant roles in making Planescape: Torment, as you would no doubt know if you had looked into this even a little bit.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Torment got more than four million. That makes it the most successful videogame Kickstarter yet. I don't think anyone should be complaining.

They raised quite a lot yesterday, probably due to the announcement of the stretch goals. Slowing down a bit today, though:

I'm going to be extremely miffed if they don't get at least 800K.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

It's only the most successful videogame Kickstarter if you don't count the Ouya. Still, even then it's the third most successful overall behind Pebble and Ouya (and it had a few thousand more backers than either of those anyways). 74k is more backers than most projects outside of DFA, too.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Urdnot Fire posted:

74k is more backers than most projects outside of DFA, too.

It was basically the same number as pledged for Eternity. It'd be interesting to see how much overlap there was between the two groups, I suspect that they'd be essentially the same. Perhaps 73-74k is just the limit of people willing to pledge for a fantasy CRPG two years out.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Phlegmish posted:

I'm going to be extremely miffed if they don't get at least 800K.

Yeah companions instead of henchmen would be great.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I mainly think it's bizarre that people are throwing so much money at the company that brought us Hunted: The Demon's Forge.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Wendell posted:

I mainly think it's bizarre that people are throwing so much money at the company that brought us Hunted: The Demon's Forge.
I think lots of people would throw money at a company named "Black Hole Studios" which had a history of taking that money and dumping it into a deep, dark hole in the ground if the company was promising a Torment spiritual sequel.

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

LumberingTroll posted:

This was my thought when I first saw them post the kickstarter - and then when I saw when nostalgic nerds with more money than sense had given them millions.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

gently caress This Puzzle posted:

This was my thought when I first saw them post the kickstarter - and then when I saw when nostalgic nerds with more money than sense had given them millions.

Look at these discerning gentlemen who were clever enough to not read a short explanation in their Kickstarter feed, email, or this very thread. Such smart fellows. Not like all those idiots who backed this scam from those scammers.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
If Wasteland 2 is aggressively bad it would be interesting to see if people start calling for refunds for their Torment donations. They wont get them regardless but it would be interesting to see.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Look at these discerning gentlemen who were clever enough to not read a short explanation in their Kickstarter feed, email, or this very thread. Such smart fellows. Not like all those idiots who backed this scam from those scammers.

You are being extremely defensive in response to a mild comment.

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 6, 2013

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

ReV VAdAUL posted:

If Wasteland 2 is aggressively bad it would be interesting to see if people start calling for refunds for their Torment donations. They wont get them regardless but it would be interesting to see.

Why not? I think they would lose more in negative word of mouth—and snowball effect of people turned off by their response—than the value of their backing alone. Worst case, I know there hasn't been a high-profile legal case involving KS yet, but that could be a great opportunity for a class-action suit.

Fuschia tude fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 6, 2013

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Wendell posted:

Very few of the people who made Hunted: The Demon's Forge are working on Torment: Tides of Numenera, certainly not in high-level roles.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Fuschia tude posted:

Why not? I think they would lose more in negative word of mouth -- and snowball effect of people turned off by their response -- than the value of their backing alone. Worst case, I know there hasn't been a high-profile legal case involving KS yet, but I bet that would be a great opportunity for a class-action suit.

If the numbers actually got large enough to make giving money back a PR issue it would be unlikely there would be enough money to pay out those refunds. Most of the money would be spent by then.

On what basis would a class action lawsuit be pursued? The scenario I am contemplating is people wanting donated money back from a different project to the one that was of low quality. What law or contract is being breached?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ReV VAdAUL posted:

You are being extremely defensive in response to a mild comment.

People get defensive about things they like, it's normal. Personally, I'm fairly optimistic about Torment and I'm glad they did well. If there's a KS you want to criticize, let it be Shroud of the Avatar for turning out to be yet another insipid semi-MMO instead of the 'return to Ultima VII' they were talking about.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I can definitely see being wary about funding them before WL2 comes out, but saying they're just scammers is just being ignorant. They really gave a good explanation of why they had to it and at this point they've reunited essentially all the major people behind the original game plus guys like Ziets and Mitsoda who helped make two of the best RPGs of all time that weren't Torment 1. They clearly have the passion and experience to pull it off so I was willing to trust them, unlike say Ouya which had disaster written all over it from the start.

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I love the original Torment (and kickstarted Wasteland 2 since I enjoyed that game in my youth) but it's really silly for them to go kickstarting another game when they haven't even finished the first one. I said nothing of scams - though I am being cynical about them.

People seem to think just because someone produced something good that means whatever they're involved with will be good. M. Night popped out two good to great movies and then look what happened. They are purely cashing in on nostalgia, which I think is fine for your first game but it's kind of a dick move in my book to do it again before you've even produced something.

Fuck This Puzzle fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 6, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

I love the original Torment (and kickstarted Wasteland 2 since I enjoyed that game in my youth) but it's really silly for them to go kickstarting another game when they haven't even finished the first one. I said nothing of scams - though I am being cynical about them.
It's clearly not silly - they made millions of dollars.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

it's really silly for them to go kickstarting another game when they haven't even finished the first one.

Not silly for them, however, as they became the most successful videogame Kickstarter ever...

Edit: Beaten like a rented mule! Curse you, TychoCelchuuu!

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

Diablo 3 sold more than the first two games combined. It is still a very bad and silly game.

Like I said, more money than sense.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

They put together a great team, they pitched [in considerable detail] what they're going to do to make this a great game, they presented two proof-of-concept locations [both animated in the way that the final game will be], and they're making sure that Mark Morgan stays employed. That's a pretty compelling case for earning my money, I'd say.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Doing a second Kickstarter allowed them to not fire a large percentage of their staff. So, maybe not such a dick move?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Diablo 3 sold more than the first two games combined. It is still a very bad and silly game.

I'm curious as to what kind of "sense" a Kickstarter can make except for "it makes a lot of money." I guess you could say "well, it could make a good game" but obviously the Planescape devs think they are going to make a good game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

I actually think they're both going to be good games, it's just weird to go back to the well before you've produced anything.

I'm also a bit bitter nobody's trying to kickstart FreeSpace 3 or something.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I'm curious as to what kind of "sense" a Kickstarter can make except for "it makes a lot of money."

More money than sense applies to the people donating.