Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Geokinesis posted:

Talking about what can be fed to chickens I found this to be helpful.

A treat chart.

That chart is very helpful, but I don't know why they put citrus on the 'No' list. My chickens used to LOVE to snarf down the flesh of the fallen blood oranges off our backyard tree, and did so for years with no ill effects, either to them or their eggs. Plus they'd run around with pink faces from the juice staining their feathers temporarily. :keke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Oh god, who just bought two red shouldered yokohama roosters ($4.50/each), a polish rooster ($4), a sumatran rooster ($5) and four muscovy duck hens ($4/each)?

This guy.

unprofessional fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 6, 2013

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

unprofessional posted:

Oh god, who just bought two red shouldered yokohama roosters ($4.50/each), a polish rooster ($4), a sumatran rooster ($5) and four muscovy duck hens ($4/each)?

This guy.

Pictures or it didn't happen! :colbert:

Fake edit: Seriously, congratulations. You got some gorgeous breeds. Why did you get so many roosters? Isn't that problematic?

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
THEY'RE SO PRETTY! ...and it's an auction and I got a little carried away. Pics soon.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Geokinesis posted:

Talking about what can be fed to chickens I found this to be helpful.

A treat chart.
Our original three ex-batts demolished a large rhubarb plant over the course of two days (even started digging the root up) and suffered no ill effects, though they all had this weird look in their eyes while they were going mental on the greenery.

Chickens Don't Eat Rhubarb by hennhaus, on Flickr

Chido, sorry to hear about Baba, :ohdear: hope she pulls through.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 6, 2013

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

Chido posted:

Baba seems to have either egg peritonitis or an egg broke inside her, and she's not doing well at all. She's been pooping egg whites and yolk along with some blood all day, and I can't really do anything but keep her comfortable. The girls are worried about her, and they fear she might die. We already had one hen die last year and while the girls handled that well, they are scared we might lose Baba too. I tried to be positive and reassured them that while yes, it's possible that Baba might not get better, she'd probably be ok and that I'd do my best to help her out. So now I have her in a crate in my room, and I've been giving her liquids with a dropper to keep her hydrated.

This is sad and terrifying. Is this the life a chicken breeder must live? To know that for every egg that might perchance itself into a frying pan, it might destroy the uterus of a chicken and let it slowly die a death on eggshells?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Tricky Twisty posted:

This is sad and terrifying. Is this the life a chicken breeder must live? To know that for every egg that might perchance itself into a frying pan, it might destroy the uterus of a chicken and let it slowly die a death on eggshells?

Egg peritonitus is just one of the illnesses and ailments that can befall chickens--but this is the case with any animal. What good chicken keepers do is learn as much as they can beforehand so that when something comes up suddenly, they are ready. Chido is an excellent chicken owner and takes the best care possible of her birds, so I have no doubts Baba is getting the best. :)

spookygonk, I had a turkey hen who resolutely sat on a mature artichoke plant (spiniest damned things ever) every damned day until she killed it.

This morning I did a breakout on big eggs gathered in the last two days--infertile!!! So the kid and I are heading out into the run with a pair of scissors right now to give everyone a butt haircut.

WEEDCAT!!!! :argh:

VVVV Exactly, between his fluffy butt and the hen's, he tends to miss his...ah...'target'. Too much padding!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 6, 2013

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Buttcuts for all! So VS, the fact that they have a lot of butt feathers means what? The rooster's sperm can't get to the eggs to fertilize them?

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Egg peritonitus is just one of the illnesses and ailments that can befall chickens--but this is the case with any animal. What good chicken keepers do is learn as much as they can beforehand so that when something comes up suddenly, they are ready. Chido is an excellent chicken owner and takes the best care possible of her birds, so I have no doubts Baba is getting the best. :)

spookygonk, I had a turkey hen who resolutely sat on a mature artichoke plant (spiniest damned things ever) every damned day until she killed it.

This morning I did a breakout on big eggs gathered in the last two days--infertile!!! So the kid and I are heading out into the run with a pair of scissors right now to give everyone a butt haircut.

OH MY GOSH, Can't wait to hear how this goes! I'm laughing sadistically already....

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I can only imagine this being put on a resume: Professional Chicken Brazilian Clipper.

I also imagine the chickens aren't exactly big fans of this treatment.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Well, at least the chickens will be in fine fashion to go to the beach when it warms up a bit more. :bigtran:

I'm curious how much you have to shear off and how often you have to shear it off.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
What the gently caress. I was out gardening, and my hens always run up to me on the other side of my fence. Today one started clucking maniacally and freaking out, and then just took off and flew right over the fence at me. This from a chicken that supposedly can't fly and who's wing I clipped last week.

Edit- I'm watching you garden. Always watching...

Armed Neutrality fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 6, 2013

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
HELLO!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The thought of using a suet cage to hold vegetable treats for chickens is sort of a "no duh". I can't believe I didn't think of that sooner considering how they like to try and get up on our deck and eat the suet we put out for the birds.

I like how our yard where the chickens live is weed-free and only grows grass (and stilt grass :argh:) and the other parts of our yard are full of chickweed, dead nettles, and henbit. My mom was visiting and found it funny how when I weed I throw whatever I pull out over the fence into the backyard for the chickens to eat.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 6, 2013

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Half rear end chickens you say?

Never thought to take pictures of them before but I started giving rear end clippings a couple of weeks ago since its started getting hotter. Vito the brown red rooster with half an rear end.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Baba is still the same, I honestly don't think she'll make it. the vet I found that would see chickens is out of town, and given how hard it was to find an avian vet that would see chickens (nobody in my town or neighboring cities would, I had to go to Pasadena to find one), I think all I can do is keep her comfortable and cross my fingers she makes it through the weekend, or that she passes away without suffering much. I feel like crying, and I dread having to tell the girls the bad news, they were both very upset last night at seeing Baba like this.

With Mega healing and Baba sick, it hasn't been a good week. The girls have been extra alert and checking on the chickens more, and they woke me up early today to tell me Pancake had two tiny ticks/fleas attacked to her face. I asked them to bring me the hen so I could remove them. It's gonna be hard for them if BBaba doesn't make it, she's one of their favorites :(.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Tim the Enchanter posted:

Half rear end chickens you say?

Never thought to take pictures of them before but I started giving rear end clippings a couple of weeks ago since its started getting hotter. Vito the brown red rooster with half an rear end.

OH MY GOD. Poor Vito! It literally looks like you cut him in half. I'm laughing hysterically. At least I left Weedcat some of his tail, although not much dignity.

This procedure was NOT a hit, especially with Weedcat. River the New Hampshire had the best reaction, craning her head around to watch me incredulously with a pure 'WTF?!' expression on her face.

Those were some heavy duty winter fluffy butts. I'm pissed I didn't think of it before, but since this was our first real winter up here--and last year we had ALL those other roos as well--the chickens all grew fluffy butt feathers like mad things. From now on the chicken shavedown will be a Springtime rite. I figure I can start checking fresh eggs in 2 days for fertility...c'mon Weedcat!

In my chickens' opinion, we are entirely too obsessed with their fannies.

Also, Yoya the Giant Cochin has joined Wiggles in the broody hen department!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 6, 2013

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Sumatran!

I love the Polish.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I'm so sorry Roo, but I think unprofessional's sumatra rooster is better looking than you. He'd look so cute in a night gown :haw:

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Yay! :neckbeard: Thanks for sharing. The Polish looks so delightfully surly. Do they have names yet?

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Also, Yoya the Giant Cochin has joined Wiggles in the broody hen department!

If they're both broody, will you split the babies between them? I kinda want to see two mommas, one huge and one tiny.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

Chido posted:

I'm so sorry Roo, but I think unprofessional's sumatra rooster is better looking than you. He'd look so cute in a night gown :haw:
He's gonna look good in a soup pot if he doesn't stop picking on the little chicks. All the other roosters are chill. The polish is ridiculously friendly.

I generally don't name my chickens. I'm sure the polish will be named by my kids soon enough.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Bertha you seem to have lost weight.

Baby dont got back.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Chido posted:

Baba is still the same, I honestly don't think she'll make it. the vet I found that would see chickens is out of town, and given how hard it was to find an avian vet that would see chickens (nobody in my town or neighboring cities would, I had to go to Pasadena to find one), I think all I can do is keep her comfortable and cross my fingers she makes it through the weekend, or that she passes away without suffering much. I feel like crying, and I dread having to tell the girls the bad news, they were both very upset last night at seeing Baba like this.

With Mega healing and Baba sick, it hasn't been a good week. The girls have been extra alert and checking on the chickens more, and they woke me up early today to tell me Pancake had two tiny ticks/fleas attacked to her face. I asked them to bring me the hen so I could remove them. It's gonna be hard for them if BBaba doesn't make it, she's one of their favorites :(.

Chido, I'm so sorry about Baba. From what I read, there is not a lot to do but keep the hen comfortable. The internal egg process is brutal. :sympathy: Illness that happens like this makes me think I should start with 6 or 8 hens.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Megatron's wound is healing well, that EMT gel and spray thing is awesome, it made the wound scab over pretty well. the area where you see that ugly scab is where Roo ripped off and opened the wound again. the upper half of the old scab was lifted in one side, but it didn't come off that day. Now there's new tissue already formed in more of the wound, :3: finally, some good news.

I'm gonna go buy some baby food to try and feed Baba. I can't do much for her but I don't want to let her just waste away, I still want to try and give her a chance.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Baby dont got back.

Now the neighbors can REALLY call me Crazy Chicken Lady, since I'm sitting here next to an open window howling with laughter. Honest to God, that looks 'shopped. That chicken just suddenly ENDS.

Yoya is kinda 'meh' on the broody thing so we'll see how it goes. Wiggles got chased off her nest by Bug, ran over and started angrily (and ineffectually) pecking at my shoes. :keke: Whoever is the strongest broody gets the chicks, we won't split them up between hens or put two broodies in one box. I only ever had one instance where I could put two broodies together, my identical twin sister bantam buff Cochin ladies. They peacefully and calmly shared three chicks between them with no squabbling, ever.

Chido, Mega is looking really good!

unprofessonal, the Silver Laced Polish rooboy is very pretty, as are they all!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Baby dont got back.

Tim, do you do this for your breeding program, the AI? So the feathers stay this way until their next moult then? Are these birds you have entered in shows before?

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

:eek: oh my dear god...and this happened because a rooster wanted to have sex? I....don't understand how this happened

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

piscesbobbie posted:

Tim, do you do this for your breeding program, the AI? So the feathers stay this way until their next moult then? Are these birds you have entered in shows before?

I mainly just clip butts to keep them cool and cleaner once it starts getting hot but it's a big improvement to fertility as well since they can actually get contact without the gigantic bun of feathers cochins have blocking them.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
As requested, some pictures of my Ladies. You can tell which ones are my favorites. I am a bad chicken owner; I shouldn't have favorites.

These are Daisy's feet. She is a Faverolles, so she's going to have mondo feathery feets. This is the breed I've decided on for a rooster when we eventually get one. Because they are handsome mofos (behold)

All of the Ladies. We have an old dog gate thing that I put around the coop. They can come out a bit more and forage stuff other than what's under their coop/run. I have to be there to supervise, though, or the cats would eat them.

Daisy up close. She is so lovely. :3:

Dahlia - yes, my other favorite. She's a blue Andalusian, and the most aggressive of the chicks. You can see Daisy behind her.

And for reference, here is what they looked like at the beginning of March/end of February when they were a week old:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I finally managed to get Baba's crate warmer, and she's finally able to lay down and stop being so fluffed up. She's rather alert, but she doesn't move much, and now she makes this squeaky peep when she poops. I'm tempted to rinse the inside of her cloaca a bit with a syringe and see if that helps her. She shows some interest in food, but doesn't really eat it. I'm gonna try and force feed her some gerber sweet potato puree so she can at least have something in her.

This is what she's been pooping since yesterday :smith:.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Chido posted:

I finally managed to get Baba's crate warmer, and she's finally able to lay down and stop being so fluffed up. She's rather alert, but she doesn't move much, and now she makes this squeaky peep when she poops. I'm tempted to rinse the inside of her cloaca a bit with a syringe and see if that helps her. She shows some interest in food, but doesn't really eat it. I'm gonna try and force feed her some gerber sweet potato puree so she can at least have something in her.

You might consider treating for Cocci...

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

Brahma hens were being a nuisance the whole time I was doing some yard work so they got pictures taken of them. They dont stand still long enough to be anything but blurs usually but a couple turned out.

One hen facing off with a Brown Red cochin a fifth her size through some wire.

Another hen busy waddling to some new destination, no doubt where she can trip someone while eating their shoelaces.

Gigantor the standard splash Cochin hen and some frizzle mutt sticking her face in the picture.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
Assuming I can find someone to pay 700 bucks or so for this tiny egg, my chickens will have paid for themselves! Huzzah!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Brahma hens were being a nuisance the whole time I was doing some yard work so they got pictures taken of them. They dont stand still long enough to be anything but blurs usually but a couple turned out.

One hen facing off with a Brown Red cochin a fifth her size through some wire.

Another hen busy waddling to some new destination, no doubt where she can trip someone while eating their shoelaces.

Gigantor the standard splash Cochin hen and some frizzle mutt sticking her face in the picture.

How I wish I lived there so I could enjoy the saga of your chickens! You have Cochins, Silkies, Brahmas AND Frizzles! I was wondering, when you trim their butt feathers as in the previous pictures, I assume it stays that way until the next molt? I'm always curious and ask stupid questions...:allears:

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Chido posted:

:eyepop:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

So now we have three broody hens.

Wiggles is still going strong and really getting in to it. Yoya the gray Giant Cochin has decided to stick with it (for now) and Colonel, another chick from last year, has decided to brood. Colonel is one of the MilleFleur d'Uccles.

Yesterday evening Yoya and Colonel apparantly teamed up to oust Wiggles from her eggs, which PISSED HER OFF. I was out there passing out dandelion greens when Wiggles ran up to me, clucking rapid-fire, grabbing my pant leg and pulling me towards the coop.

OK, gotta go see what tiny angry hen wants. I walk in that direction and she sprints ahead of me, growling and clucking all the way, stopping in front of HER nest box and staring in. Uh oh. I check it and find Yoya and Colonel, reach in the pet them, scritch their heads a bit...

I take too long to suit Hitler-in-a-hen. Outraged pacing, extra-large fluffing up and full-on loud, angry bucawking starts at my feet, clearly this is, 'Mom, they took my nest. No fair! Make 'em give it baaack, NOW!' The Belgian Time Bomb is about to reach DEFCON 1. Well, those hens ain't moving. I ended up taking one of the eggs from under Yoya and setting it in the next nest box over and showing it to Wiggles.

She stares into the new nest box for a minute, then reluctantly decides that this is an acceptable compromise and slowly heads in to sit on it. All is quiet again, for now...

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

piscesbobbie posted:

How I wish I lived there so I could enjoy the saga of your chickens! You have Cochins, Silkies, Brahmas AND Frizzles! I was wondering, when you trim their butt feathers as in the previous pictures, I assume it stays that way until the next molt? I'm always curious and ask stupid questions...:allears:

Yeah it stays that way until the molt. I keep the standard Cochins and Brahmas for eggs, the various little bantam frizzle mutts I keep and others are rescues people have given me to take care of since I have no shortage of space. Bantam Cochins and Silkies are all I actually breed and show.

A black Silkie cockerel.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

So now we have three broody hens.

Wiggles is still going strong and really getting in to it. Yoya the gray Giant Cochin has decided to stick with it (for now) and Colonel, another chick from last year, has decided to brood. Colonel is one of the MilleFleur d'Uccles.

Yesterday evening Yoya and Colonel apparantly teamed up to oust Wiggles from her eggs, which PISSED HER OFF. I was out there passing out dandelion greens when Wiggles ran up to me, clucking rapid-fire, grabbing my pant leg and pulling me towards the coop.

LOL! VS, I wish you had a cell phone camera to capture video of this hilarious behavior! Poor little Wiggles! I think she deserves to be the broody hen for the new chicks, even if she is so small. :D

And I love that Wiggles came to you for help. And people say that chickens are dumb and have no personality?

Tim the Enchanter: As usual, all of your chickens are beautiful and adorable! Thanks for posting pics!

Lynza: Thanks to you also for the pics. Very cute chooks! :)

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Hah, Yoya and Wiggles.