Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Frot Lesnar posted:

Why do you hate sex tourists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

MourningView posted:

Yahoo commentors are, even by the standards of internent comments, exceptionally crazy and racist so that would make sense.

Yeah how come that dipshit who gave Deadspin grief over a (not) racist joke in the comments section of an article didn't pester Yahoo as well?

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
ESPN is about five years too late, but OTL did a nice piece on what bullshit athlete charities are. Lamar Odom doesn't even sweat when he's accused on camera of outright fraud.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

quote:

Kevin Ware has a wild backstory. His recruitment to UCF led, in part, to their probation. [Link removed]

Not journalism per se, but Pete Thamel tweeted a two year-old story he wrote about Kevin Ware's illegal recruitment by UCF while Ware was still writhing in pain on the hardwood. It was a cynical grab for clicks and attention at the worst possible moment.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

leokitty posted:

Grant Brisbee linked to this post from another SB blog this morning that's a response to the comments insanity, have some more :stare:

http://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2013/3/29/4159344/going-dark

what in the gently caress

edit: I don't understand anything about what this guy was going for when he wrote this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 1, 2013

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

ESPN is about five years too late, but OTL did a nice piece on what bullshit athlete charities are. Lamar Odom doesn't even sweat when he's accused on camera of outright fraud.

Holy poo poo. I really really hope Chris Paul's foundation isn't this bullshit. :smith:

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Anals of History posted:

Not journalism per se, but Pete Thamel tweeted a two year-old story he wrote about Kevin Ware's illegal recruitment by UCF while Ware was still writhing in pain on the hardwood. It was a cynical grab for clicks and attention at the worst possible moment.

Then Clay Travis tried to defend it and showing the injury video.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Wow. Great article on issues that absolutely deserve further examination. These athletes are seemingly treating these charities like personal ATMs.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I was curious, would there be enough interest in doing a PYF-type thread of favorite broadcasters, announcers, color guys, theme music, etc?

I kind of really want to talk about how awesome ABC's Wide World of Sports was.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Sports broadcasting could be its own thread separate from this, certainly.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

With the death of Roger Ebert today, reminds me of his post that tore Jay Mariotti to shreds. Bit prophetic with his "good luck getting your 1,000 word rants on the air".

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080828/COMMENTARY/808289997

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Niwrad posted:

With the death of Roger Ebert today, reminds me of his post that tore Jay Mariotti to shreds. Bit prophetic with his "good luck getting your 1,000 word rants on the air".

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080828/COMMENTARY/808289997

Goddammit. gently caress cancer. gently caress it up its rear end.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
:siren: Good Journalism Alert :siren:

Read this article about Max Scherzer and his brother right now.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9130536/detroit-tigers-max-scherzer-pitches

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Meanwhile, there's this piece lamenting baseball nerds destroying "the national pass time" [sic]

Len Dykstra
Oct 24, 2010

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Meanwhile, there's this piece lamenting baseball nerds destroying "the national pass time" [sic]

everyone else caring about statistics made the Giants win the world series. Sounds about right.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ah yes, anyone who longs for the halcyon days of Baseball can't resist tying in politics.

Whatever happened to the predictability, the milk man, evening TV?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Harlock posted:

Ah yes, anyone who longs for the halcyon days of Baseball can't resist tying in politics.

Whatever happened to the predictability, the milk man, evening TV?

and the Negro League

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ManifunkDestiny posted:

quote:

With ruthless determination, computer nerds have proven that statistical probability governs the game of baseball more than anybody ever imagined. "The law of averages," my Grandpa used to call it.

But Grandpa meant that if Hrbek was 0 for his last 10, the law of averages said he would more than likely get a hit his next time up. The computer nerds go much deeper.

The apple didn't fall far from the tree.

edit: Is this the same Grand Forks Tribune that published the Olive Garden review?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 6, 2013

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

ManifunkDestiny posted:

"Let's make a trade. I propose sending all of baseball's statisticians to the federal government in exchange for a hot dog."

what

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Eric Bergeson posted:

I had a steroid shot for allergies last summer. Wow! I felt like a million bucks. So, I can imagine the temptation. Man, if I could hit like Barry Bonds by taking injections--I might!

As far as the Hall of Fame goes, I think it will all shake out in the end. If our descendants feel Bonds, Clemens and the others were unjustly omitted, they can have a special vote. Maybe they can put them in "Steroids Corner."

quote:

You keep every day players, but if you have a great starting pitcher who wants big money, let him go! Johan Santana is a case in point. What has he done since he got his huge contract with the Mets? Very little. One no hitter has been his highlight. We got that out of Francisco Liriano.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 6, 2013

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm on board with nerds heh if it means the Giants winning the World Series all the time.

Also holy poo poo I can't believe this guy collects paychecks for farting this out onto a webpage. He literally uses the term computer nerd and acts like Billy Beane throws a poo poo fit if some weak slap hitter hits a home run.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
The Washington Post did a story about Allen Iverson's life since his playing career ended. It's a pretty depressing scene.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...187f_story.html

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Tangentially related to sports, the NY Times did a huge piece on 38 Studios and Rhode Island today: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/21/business/curt-schilling-rhode-island-and-the-fall-of-38-studios.html

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Apparently someone read this and took it to heart

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

USAToday is launching a new "social sports site" called For The Win oh my god I can't stop vomiting http://paidcontent.org/2013/04/22/social-sports-site-by-usa-today-aims-for-fans-non-fans-alike/

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

stuart scott irl posted:

USAToday is launching a new "social sports site" called For The Win oh my god I can't stop vomiting http://paidcontent.org/2013/04/22/social-sports-site-by-usa-today-aims-for-fans-non-fans-alike/

Can't make it past "The Win." Instinctively hit back on the browser when I read that. *shivers*

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

stuart scott irl posted:

"For The Win wants to take a BuzzFeed-style viral media approach to sports media" :barf: :barf: :barf:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lol don't they own The Big Lead already? Because that's essentially what TBL is

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

stuart scott irl posted:

Thank God I was just thinking what sports was missing was a site that posts funny gifs and pictures. It's a real problem, finding gifs and videos.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Deadspin and Alex Belth from Bronx Banter just launched a new site called The Stacks, which is going to be a mix of hard-to-find old sportswriting, author interviews and more. I'm curious about this, one of the things I like best about Bronx Banter is when they republish old stuff I've never read before.

Alex Belth posted:

The point is simple: find classic pieces of writing that can't be found on-line and give them a home. Introduce them to a new audience or present them to readers who haven't read them in years. That's what I'll offer in this space, a simulcast of what's being reprinted in this Banter series.

This off-shoot site is intended to be a living archive, so there will be material that is reprinted for the first time on-line but also, I'll provide plenty of posts with links to worthy material that's already on-line but that you may have missed. It won't all be sports, it won't all be links to articles. Sometimes it will be interviews or author profiles.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

stuart scott irl posted:

Well, in theory it should offer a beacon for all the idiots and keep at least some of them semi-quarantined. In theory anyway.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Robert Lipsyte has been named the new Ombudsman at ESPN. This could be interesting.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Crazy Ted posted:

Robert Lipsyte has been named the new Ombudsman at ESPN. This could be interesting.

I was kind of expecting them to just do away with the position. That seems to be the trend industry-wide.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

morestuff posted:

I was kind of expecting them to just do away with the position. That seems to be the trend industry-wide.

Well why even bother having one if they're going to write about events that happened 8 months ago? That's what the last guy at ESPN did. Write more than one article a year at least.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

barkingclam posted:

Deadspin and Alex Belth from Bronx Banter just launched a new site called The Stacks, which is going to be a mix of hard-to-find old sportswriting, author interviews and more. I'm curious about this, one of the things I like best about Bronx Banter is when they republish old stuff I've never read before.

Just what I wanted, a site that combines possibly cool articles, and all the aesthetic appeal of Deadspin

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

Crazy Ted posted:

ESPN knows how to knock it out of the park with good hires, anyway. Never mind that Poynter turned out to be a disaster and the other ombudsman columns were basically hidden from view, I could see this really working out.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

ESPN knows how to knock it out of the park with good hires, anyway. Never mind that Poynter turned out to be a disaster and the other ombudsman columns were basically hidden from view, I could see this really working out.

He'll probably still be hidden from view.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Yeah, you're right. :sigh: Again, though, this is one of the better hires ESPN has made in a while, even if Lipsyte will be totally misused.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

VERRRDUUUCCCIIIIII

quote:

Welcome to the state of the art in hitting these days, where aggressiveness is disdained and passivity is exalted. The modern hitter is guided by the accepted wisdom in catchphrases such as "driving up pitch counts," "taking pitches" and "quality at-bats." There is one serious flaw in this groupthink strategy.
It isn't working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Verducci, the author who is slavishly devoted to his decade-plus-old research on the importance of pitch counts, disdains the idea that offenses care about pitch counts. This is like the Twins and walks.