Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
:siren: CLICK HERE FOR THE MANGA THREAD :siren:

Shingeki no Kyojin, also known as Advance of the Giants and, more officially, Attack on Titan, is the anime adaptation of the award winning manga of the same name. It's being produced by Production I.G. and Wit Studio, one of its subsidiaries, and being directed by Araki Tetsurou (Death Note, Guilty Crown, Highschool of the Dead). The manga is notable for being incredibly smart, incredibly good, and iinnncrediblyyyy well received here in ADTRW. We cannot get enough of Shingeki no Kyojin guys.

It is the twilight of mankind. The last bastion of humanity finds its walls besieged by colossal man-eating giants, incomprehensible entities that seek only to consume and destroy. They cannot be reasoned with. They cannot be opposed. And as the giants pierce our walls once more, the dusk of mankind is coming to an end.

Or is it?

Why you should probably watch Attack on Titan!
1) The manga is actually really well written. A common take away in the manga thread is just how... reasonable and smart characters act. They take justified actions and act in reasonable ways. There's none of that so infuriating "Characters are much stupider than the audience" that permeates everything.
2) The Giants are genuinely creepy as hell. It's one of the few action-horror manga that is pretty freaky at times.
3) The plot is full of genuine intrigue. There's more to the giants and their actions than is immediately apparent. Revelations keep occuring in the manga and we're all basically constantly AAAAAAA.
4) The staff on this is pretty drat good. Production I.G. is stellar, and the director is fairly competent when it comes to stylish action.

But...
I just want to point out the manga is ongoing, so we are probably going to get an anime original ending of some kind. There is no real natural cut-off right now that really would work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKzmOh4SuBc&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHtdKWJdif4&hd=1

Keep all manga discussion in the manga thread.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Hell yes.

Has the first episode aired yet? All the promotional materials said 4/6, and it should be 4/7 in Japan by now.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Watched the episode live. Kaji Yuuki's Eren was pretty unimpressive, and I'm not quite sold on Inoue as Armin yet. Voice acting woes aside, it was pretty good, though understandably a little less graphic than the manga. Like for instance the bit where Eren's mom gets eaten is shown outright in the manga, while in the anime you only get a cut of the titan biting down and then blood flying everywhere.

Oh, and if the 3D Gear sequences from the opening are any indication, the action scenes in this anime are going to be absolutely glorious.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
The raw of the first episode is already up here: http://www.nosub.tv/watch/43445.html I'm in the middle of watching it but it seems awesome so far!

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

There's a torrent out for the raw too. I saw the OP on youtube and its really good, looking forward to the rest.

musouka
Apr 24, 2009
Well, that was sure...the director of Death Note's take on Shingeki no Kyojin.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sub is out http://www.ggkthx.org/2013/04/attack-on-titan-01/

-edit Just watched it, its a pretty faithful adaptation, and it doesn't seem like its trying to rush through the plot. I also like how it kept the world building notes from the manga. I just hope they gave the show enough episodes.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 7, 2013

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I don't really have an opinion on VAs since I'm pretty tone-deaf when it comes to foreign languages, but to me Eren sounds pretty intense, which is how I recall him from the comic so I really like that. And speaking of the manga they may have shown 'less' but that was exactly as brutal as I remember the introduction being, drat.

And the 3D gear sounds just as amazing as it did in the PVs, can't wait to see a real fight.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

After watching the episode twice, I think Eren's voice fits pretty well. I'm not a big fan of the actor either.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Wonder what the rationale for withholding streaming rights. Just asking for people to turn to torrents.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Demicol posted:

After watching the episode twice, I think Eren's voice fits pretty well. I'm not a big fan of the actor either.

Oh yes, I freely admit my beef with Kaji is a general dislike of his voice instead of something to do with Eren specifically.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Stall_19 posted:

Wonder what the rationale for withholding streaming rights. Just asking for people to turn to torrents.

Yeah it doesn't make any sense. There is a massive and loyal base that pay for sites like Crunchyroll and they are willing to legally give you money to watch your content. If you just hold the rights and refuse to let them show it, you're not helping anyone. People are just going to pirate your content. No one is going to wait around for the home video release of the series for the first view. This is not 2004 anymore.

That aside, I loved the first episode. It seemed pretty faithful and I love Eren's voice. I think this is going to turn out fantastic, even if it's not as graphic and violent as the manga is.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I think they did a pretty good job showcasing just how terrifying the titans can be in terms of both appearance and raw power. The scene with Haneth where time stops when he's in front of the titan was like a kick in the gut of shounen tropes about heroic deeds, it felt right on the money and was basically a perfect representation of that moment of time in the manga.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
Yeah, the Titans look fantastic.

Really dug this and I'm glad it's getting the adaptation it deserves.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah, this is definitely going to be the best new show of the season. Araki knows how to handle source material really well, but I hope he doesn't insert that one moment where there's an anime original thing that's obvious it was not in the source material and completely terrible (Death Note's footrub scene, and slo-mo bullet between the tits in HSotD).

It'll be interesting for me because I'm only reading the official manga release so it will be fun to see when they hit stuff I haven't read yet.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Speaking for someone who hasn't read the source material...holy crap that was awesome! I'm sold already.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I'm really loving how they are taking the sound and animation for the titans. They move just so unnaturally, it is really chilling to see them in full motion compared to the stills in the manga.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm up to like chapter 10 of the manga and just haven't gotten around to advancing further. I'm more than happy watching this play out on the screen.

Man it looks absolutely great. The backgrounds, the animation, the everything, totally owns bones.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The skin texture of the titans seemed a bit different. It looked slightly translucent, with some darker bits underneath that might be veins, and it looked like something not quite there.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Oh man they used the perfect shot for the "thanks to or sponsors" or whatever it's called screen. :gonk:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

So apparently the anime is confirmed for two seasons, based on a tweet from one of the anime's scenario writers saying he's in charge of 6 episodes, including four that're past episode 12 (which would be the end of a single season).

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Why do I even have a Crunchyroll sub if this isn't on it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Fiend Computer posted:

I'm really loving how they are taking the sound and animation for the titans. They move just so unnaturally, it is really chilling to see them in full motion compared to the stills in the manga.

Yeah the way the sound is kind of like... not understated, but utilized more conscientiously? Than just having a BGM running all the time in the cliche ways it could be. The scene where the old drunk dude charges that giant, and then stops, and then the audio just goes dead, he stares at a second, then turns around and runs the hell away was magic.

Real good first episode.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

OnimaruXLR posted:

Yeah the way the sound is kind of like... not understated, but utilized more conscientiously? Than just having a BGM running all the time in the cliche ways it could be. The scene where the old drunk dude charges that giant, and then stops, and then the audio just goes dead, he stares at a second, then turns around and runs the hell away was magic.

Real good first episode.

That bit won me over more than anything else. That, and how strangely horrifying the giant looked in that moment. It filled me with a genuine sense of dread.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Watched the episode through to the end, had the biggest loving grin on my face when the MC's mom got eaten. This looks like a very interesting anime and I am picking this up.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

OnimaruXLR posted:

Real good first episode.

Holy poo poo, yes. I was soo thinking he'd at least try for a doomed last stand, but... no. Can't say as I blame him one bit either. That grin...

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
That was certainly an incredibly addicting first episode. Definitely on the watch list.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

Real good first episode.

I love how it's set up as this great dramatic moment where he's going to save everyone. Then he realizes Holy poo poo I'm actually going to die if I go through with this and gets the gently caress out of Dodge with the kids. It's such a fantastic way to define the tone of the series.

Markkei
Aug 11, 2010
I actually cried during the last scene during the mother's exchange with Eren and Mikasa. I thought the VA pulled that entire sequence very well and it hit me pretty hard. That said I really enjoyed this episode and look forward to more.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

That was a fantastic first episode, I can't wait to see the rest of the series adapted. Now to force convince all my friends to watch it too.

I really like how they did the animation/character designs, it all looked really good.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Well I had high hopes for this based on the preview a few months ago and holy hell it did not disappoint.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I'm thoroughly impressed with how well executed this animated adaption was. The comic was already fantastically well drawn, but had a lot of 'empty space' in the art. This anime fully fleshes out the world around the characters visually in a fantastic manner.

It's always great to see an animated adaption that visibly improves on the comic - even when the art of the comic was fantastic to begin with!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Markkei posted:

I actually cried during the last scene during the mother's exchange with Eren and Mikasa. I thought the VA pulled that entire sequence very well and it hit me pretty hard. That said I really enjoyed this episode and look forward to more.

The bit that really stood out to me is screaming at Hannes and Eren and Mikasa to run, being thankful for it, and the quietly telling herself she doesn't want to see her children leave.

Her death was so much more merciful than the manga, and I don't begrudge it one bit. The backsnap surely put put her into shock :ohdear:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

The bit that really stood out to me is screaming at Hannes and Eren and Mikasa to run, being thankful for it, and the quietly telling herself she doesn't want to see her children leave.

Her death was so much more merciful than the manga, and I don't begrudge it one bit. The backsnap surely put put her into shock :ohdear:

I don't think having your upper body twisted like a bottle top qualifies as merciful at all. :stare:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's better than being bitten straight in half.

I think.

My medical knowledge hasn't been updated since undergrad.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 7, 2013

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
So far Hannes is my favorite character. I really liked his responses to Eren when they were talking about guard duty. They could have so easily let him slip into some kind of drunk rear end in a top hat trope, so many times, but at every turn they gave him something to say that really made him just come off as mature. He was just honest with the kid, and when Eren get pissed at him, Hannes didn't smack him or anything, he just laughed it off. Reminds me of the kind of flawed but realistic character you see in Game of Thrones. Good stuff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Outstanding first episode. This one at least fulfills every expectation I had from the trailer. We'll see how well the animation quality sticks throughout the rest of the show or if it nosedives after episode 3.

Eren's mom's reaction to seeing them leaving and knowing she was about to die, Hanne's reaction to confronting an actual Titan, everything that made me get SO into the manga was magnificently done. The surroundings were so well fleshed out that it made things even MORE impactful, and I teared up during the buried mom scene.

That particular scene reminds me of...poo poo, I don't remember the animated movie's name, but it's a no-holds-barred showing of the events during the bombing of Hiroshima, and it shows a character run home after the bombing only to find their family buried under a collapsed house, have no strength to lift the rubble to save them and can only sit and watch as their parents and siblings burn to death.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I liked the first episode a lot, though as I predicted it's a bit slow, especially if you've read the manga so the exposition is pointless. Should pick up pretty quickly though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Outstanding first episode. This one at least fulfills every expectation I had from the trailer. We'll see how well the animation quality sticks throughout the rest of the show or if it nosedives after episode 3.

Eren's mom's reaction to seeing them leaving and knowing she was about to die, Hanne's reaction to confronting an actual Titan, everything that made me get SO into the manga was magnificently done. The surroundings were so well fleshed out that it made things even MORE impactful, and I teared up during the buried mom scene.

That particular scene reminds me of...poo poo, I don't remember the animated movie's name, but it's a no-holds-barred showing of the events during the bombing of Hiroshima, and it shows a character run home after the bombing only to find their family buried under a collapsed house, have no strength to lift the rubble to save them and can only sit and watch as their parents and siblings burn to death.

Barefoot Gen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Learned about this series from Captain Invictus post in the GBS Youtube thread. I haven't heard of the manga...heck I haven't watched an anime in years. Really sold on that first episode.

Should I expect a subbed episode 2 a week from today?

• Locked thread