Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

sassassin posted:

This is a horrible way of saying 'Ashley dies on Virmire to honorably redeem her family name, ensuring the end of not one but TWO krogan-based threats to galactic stability'.

Well the deed is done now. She seemed to enjoy killing Wrex just a bit too much if you ask me, and she got what she deserved!

It was awesome seeing Shepard throw Kaidan over her shoulder and carry him back to the ship to rescue him though :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
So I just started playing ME3 again, this time with Kaidan alive. Funny thing though, Kaidan seems to outrank Shepard in ME3, so maybe the plot will be different this time! :v:

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!
He's more useful than Ashley is in combat, but that's literally it...

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

etjester posted:

BioWare made fundamental changes to the Charm/Intimidate system twice, and they obfuscated those changes each time. Even if you knew those options were there, a player would have no reason to suspect they would be locked out of dialogue options at the end of the game for bypassing a set of dialogue options at the start of the game. I wouldn't characterize that as a player loving up.

I would, simply because in a series where the left-hand dialogue options have always lead to MORE INFO and right-hand ones lead to ignoring it and advancing the conversation beyond that point, any player that didn't select it as soon as it appeared done hosed up. The only reason to ignore it would be lack of attention and/or not caring about the dialogue options at all, in which case they're playing the wrong goddamn series.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Ashley's most notable moment in ME3 is being drunk on the floor of her room. Kaidan at least has some interesting conversations.

Especially after Sanctuary :stare:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Smol posted:

So I just started playing ME3 again, this time with Kaidan alive. Funny thing though, Kaidan seems to outrank Shepard in ME3, so maybe the plot will be different this time! :v:

He actually outranked Shepard in ME2.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Seemlar posted:

Ashley's most notable moment in ME3 is being drunk on the floor of her room. Kaidan at least has some interesting conversations.

Kaidan being alive means that you get the best squad member in the game and that the poker table actually gets used.

Kaidan wins.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Seemlar posted:

I was suprised over how little interaction there was with Ashley in ME 3. Hell, the only thing I can remember from ME 3 is that she got drunk and slept on the floor.

Oh well, at least I'm going maximum Captain Kirk this playthrough, so it's Liara as love interest this time around.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Sylphosaurus posted:

Since I went with Ashley in my first and to date only trilogy playthrough I'm going for Kaidan this time around as the Virimire survivor. I just hope that he's more fun or interesting as a character in ME 3.

He's my #1 space bro and cooks the food of his people.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sentinel Red posted:

I would, simply because in a series where the left-hand dialogue options have always lead to MORE INFO and right-hand ones lead to ignoring it and advancing the conversation beyond that point, any player that didn't select it as soon as it appeared done hosed up. The only reason to ignore it would be lack of attention and/or not caring about the dialogue options at all, in which case they're playing the wrong goddamn series.

On your first play through it's definitely worth clicking through as much of the dialogue tree as you can, but on subsequent ones, I like to just barrel through and focus on just the important choices instead...I didn't realize that some of those choices were hidden behind the left side of the wheel, which is usually the "fluff" section.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Sentinel Red posted:

In general that's true but I do think there are dialogues where cutting the dialogue short and ending it at a certain point with one of the right-hand choices feels more appropriate (depending on how you play your Shepard and the flow of the dialogue up to that point) rather than exhausting all the options by asking more questions (i.e. just picking the left-hand MORE INFO side until it's completely exhausted).

Incidentally, that very dialogue with TIM on Mars might very well be one of them.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Sylphosaurus posted:

I was suprised over how little interaction there was with Ashley in ME 3. Hell, the only thing I can remember from ME 3 is that she got drunk and slept on the floor.

Oh well, at least I'm going maximum Captain Kirk this playthrough, so it's Liara as love interest this time around.

There's a little subplot with Ashley's sister on the Citadel but that's about it.

I think a big problem with the game is that Liara is obviously the canon romance for Bioware so she gets the most scenes out of any love interest in the game. Her last scene in London is really weird if you're not romancing her.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So I screwed up and forgot to do the Zaeed and Kasumi missions before starting Citadel. Is there any way to un-flag the DLC as complete in my savegame so I can go grab those two and drag them to the party?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pierson posted:

So I screwed up and forgot to do the Zaeed and Kasumi missions before starting Citadel. Is there any way to un-flag the DLC as complete in my savegame so I can go grab those two and drag them to the party?

You can complete the citadel mission DLC and complete other non-dlc game mission before going back to finish that party.

Citadel mission and citadel party are two separate instances.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Pierson posted:

You don't need to worry about it. Just do their missions after the main Citadel mission and you can save the party for later. You're not locked into doing the party right after the main questline, and only your ME3 bros (and Wrex) show for that.

e: f,b :argh:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I did all that already, that's the problem. :(

I literally forgot both of them existed, it's been so long since ME2. Which is weird since Zaeed owned so much.

VVV Nnnnnnope! Well guess this gives me an excuse for another playthrough.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 7, 2013

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Pierson posted:

I literally forgot both of them existed, it's been so long since ME2. Which is weird since Zaeed owned so much.

Oh. If you already started the party, you might be boned unless you have an earlier save.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pierson posted:

VVV Nnnnnnope! Well guess this gives me an excuse for another playthrough.

Ahaha. You're not really missing much. Kasumi just turns invisible most of the party, pooping out to deliver wacky one liners and then roots through your underwear drawer and I forget what Zaeed does because he's dumb and smells like butt and he's a big fat butt.

Watch their youtube clips.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Burning Mustache posted:

In general that's true but I do think there are dialogues where cutting the dialogue short and ending it at a certain point with one of the right-hand choices feels more appropriate (depending on how you play your Shepard and the flow of the dialogue up to that point) rather than exhausting all the options by asking more questions (i.e. just picking the left-hand MORE INFO side until it's completely exhausted).

Incidentally, that very dialogue with TIM on Mars might very well be one of them.

Another reason to avoid the investigate options is that it often leads to Shepard asking questions that you should already know the answers to, and the paraphrasing wasn't always worded well. There were a lot of points in the series where I'd ask what seemed like a question about the situation at hand and suddenly Shepard doesn't know how some basic technological thing works or seems to be unaware of the existence of an entire alien race; stuff that someone living in that universe really should know, especially an overachieving member of the special forces.

Of course in the first game I always get into the habit of asking all of the stupid questions then fast forwarding through the conversations because it sometimes meant new codex entries, and those gave you experience points.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Smol posted:

The fact that Shepard doesn't even get a brevet promotion to outrank Kaidan is something that really annoyed me more than it should have.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Shepard's a Spectre so he probably has way more individual authority than all these lame Majors and Admirals serving on his ship :smug:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Blastedhellscape posted:

Another reason to avoid the investigate options is that it often leads to Shepard asking questions that you should already know the answers to, and the paraphrasing wasn't always worded well. There were a lot of points in the series where I'd ask what seemed like a question about the situation at hand and suddenly Shepard doesn't know how some basic technological thing works or seems to be unaware of the existence of an entire alien race; stuff that someone living in that universe really should know, especially an overachieving member of the special forces.

Of course in the first game I always get into the habit of asking all of the stupid questions then fast forwarding through the conversations because it sometimes meant new codex entries, and those gave you experience points.

I did like one of the very first ones in the series, when Shepard is talking to Anderson and Nihlus about the Prothean Beacon, instead of being like "Wuts a prothee-uhn :downs:", the investigate instead is something like "Prothean? I thought they were all wiped out". So Shepard does actually know about some stuff about them.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

ME1 had a LOT more of those investigate dialogue trees. My first playthrough clocked in at something like 40 hours, and I think most of that was listening to every shred of NPC dialogue and reading every Codex entry.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Burning Mustache posted:

I'm certainly one to always look for more "lore" in those games and going through every conversation tree with a focus on "more info" is part of that, but as you say scouring for more information doesn't make sense in every situation, and I completely agree that this dialogue was one of them.

At that point in t he game we already know he's a comic book villain, it's totally viable for a player/Shepard to be done with this guy and keep the conversation to a minimum so it's a dick move to hide a paragon/renegade option behind some "let's talk more" option, all the other talks with him don't hide these options IIRC, so you can keep the chat short by taking paragon/renegade options instead of finishing with neutral white ones.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Is it really a dick move when it's not really important at all? It doesn't really make the final scene with him much more interesting and it doesn't impact gameplay like the ME2 checks.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm kinda fine with it. It's alright having one villain, right at the end, that you can't ultimately talk out of it.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

1st AD posted:

Shepard's a Spectre so he probably has way more individual authority than all these lame Majors and Admirals serving on his ship :smug:

How does a Major who is also a Spectre factor into this? :shepface:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Look, when you go and die for a couple years, you get passed over. That's just how the world works.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Lycus posted:

Look, when you go and die for a couple years, you get passed over. That's just how the world works.

Look at Lieutenant Thomas Riker.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Drifter posted:

I forget what Zaeed does because he's dumb and smells like butt and he's a big fat butt.

He gets drunk with Garrus and attempts to fortify the obviously sub-par defenses in your apartment. He may or may not try to fill your hot tub with hydrochloric acid. Or at least that's what happened with my party (Rowdy -> Quiet -> Snacks).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

404GoonNotFound posted:

He gets drunk with Garrus and attempts to fortify the obviously sub-par defenses in your apartment. He may or may not try to fill your hot tub with hydrochloric acid. Or at least that's what happened with my party (Rowdy -> Quiet -> Snacks).

I went rowdy-rowdy-rowdy and Zaeed ends up checking out the art in Shepard's place and trying to convince Samara to have sex with him :laugh:

Also there's a neat Kasumi reference from Javik "There is a girl wandering around your apartment pretending to be invisible :colbert:"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I went rowdy-rowdy-rowdy and Zaeed ends up checking out the art in Shepard's place and trying to convince Samara to have sex with him

I'd just like to point out that this doesn't play out nearly as creepily as it sounds like it should. Zaeed may have been drunk, but he knows what "No" means.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

1st AD posted:

Shepard got promoted to a special wartime rank of "Commander Shepard", which outranks all those scrubs. :shepicide:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Found this in the gamers.txt thread:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
That is a thing of beauty.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Hahaha that rules.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That is exactly what I needed to cheer me up. Oh my god. I hope that's real.

Krista was "waking up at night in a panic thinking 'Bioware Social Network'".

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
After playing through ME1 more, I have decided that the series died when they took out the little decontamination dealie and the VI announcing you were back on the ship. Sure, it was pointless filler, but it was part of atmosphere dammit.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Dear Lord, that woman's progression of facial expressions must have been priceless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Chexoid posted:

After playing through ME1 more, I have decided that the series died when they took out the little decontamination dealie and the VI announcing you were back on the ship. Sure, it was pointless filler, but it was part of atmosphere dammit.

I don't like that loading screen because on a modern PC it just goes "Decontamination in pro-" and then the Normandy is loaded already :sigh:

• Locked thread