Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

obeyasia posted:

Just wait till all the cool poo poo you could do with OPUS is missing when you get saddled with OPUS Mobile.

Sad beef is sad.

What should I expect in training? So far I know I have worked with my trainer before so I know he is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

obeyasia posted:

Just wait till all the cool poo poo you could do with OPUS is missing when you get saddled with OPUS Mobile.

It's probably because I got hired after my store got OPUS mobile, but I really like it. Portability to do stuff anywhere in store trumps the computers having more options and being slightly quicker.

Beefstorm posted:

What should I expect in training?

To be bored out of your mind.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duckman2008 posted:

It's probably because I got hired after my store got OPUS mobile, but I really like it. Portability to do stuff anywhere in store trumps the computers having more options and being slightly quicker.

To be bored out of your mind.

Ring out entire transactions via iPhone. Yes please. loving loved that. Opus mobile rules.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Some users on reddit are saying that JellyBean is rolling out to the i777 (Galaxy S2). Anyone received any messages about this yet?

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
This may be a dumb question with a really obvious answer, but if I'm eligible for an early upgrade is there anything keeping me from getting a cheap smart phone and selling my 4S for $$$ or does AT&T not care as long as they keep getting you to sign those sweet contract extensions?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Scruffy the janitor posted:

This may be a dumb question with a really obvious answer, but if I'm eligible for an early upgrade is there anything keeping me from getting a cheap smart phone and selling my 4S for $$$ or does AT&T not care as long as they keep getting you to sign those sweet contract extensions?

Early upgrades are not full discount upgrades. You are talking about paying hundreds more than a normal upgrade. AT&T doesn't care though no.

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
I have an HTC one x and for the past 4-5 days, although it has the icon for 4G LTE, whenever I open an app like the awful app, facebook, chrome, etc, the apps say that I have no network connection. When I turn on the wifi, the apps work and I do have internet access. I've restarted my phone several times, both the quick restart and the full on/off. My bill is paid, and I've had LTE for months before now.

What gives? How can I fix this? Thanks!

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

BUTT CONSPIRACY posted:

I have an HTC one x and for the past 4-5 days, although it has the icon for 4G LTE, whenever I open an app like the awful app, facebook, chrome, etc, the apps say that I have no network connection. When I turn on the wifi, the apps work and I do have internet access. I've restarted my phone several times, both the quick restart and the full on/off. My bill is paid, and I've had LTE for months before now.

What gives? How can I fix this? Thanks!

Call technical support. Easiest solution is probably a SIM card change.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Is there a way for AT&T to set a hard data limit on one smartphone of a regular family plan? So it can never go over? What about on the mobile share?

Something else, this may be fyi for people here using a FAN discount: (maybe everyone knew, I'd never seen it mentioned)

I have a traditional family plan with a FAN discount from work. I went to add a line today at a corp store, wanted to use an old phone I had so I just got a sim from them. The guy assured me it's no-contract and I could cancel any time, just a $36 activation and the monthly service after that.

I got home, looked at the printout they gave me and it showed that new line in the ETF section: 24 months and $325 etf. Called 611 they confirmed, it's contract, after a bit they got the contract cancelled based on the fact that guy at the store said there'd be none. The 611 lady said it happened because of the FAN, it's automatic 24 months for any new line even if you bring your own equip. Is that a normal thing? Normal for certain companies FAN discounts? Or did I almost get BS'ed/railroaded somewhere?

Edit: guy at the store is the same guy who just recently got us an upgrade 3 weeks early so I hope nothing bad comes on him cause of something it seems like he had no idea of. The 611 people did call the store.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 3, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wagonburner posted:

Is there a way for AT&T to set a hard data limit on one smartphone of a regular family plan? So it can never go over? What about on the mobile share?

Something else, this may be fyi for people here using a FAN discount: (maybe everyone knew, I'd never seen it mentioned)

I have a traditional family plan with a FAN discount from work. I went to add a line today at a corp store, wanted to use an old phone I had so I just got a sim from them. The guy assured me it's no-contract and I could cancel any time, just a $36 activation and the monthly service after that.

I got home, looked at the printout they gave me and it showed that new line in the ETF section: 24 months and $325 etf. Called 611 they confirmed, it's contract, after a bit they got the contract cancelled based on the fact that guy at the store said there'd be none. The 611 lady said it happened because of the FAN, it's automatic 24 months for any new line even if you bring your own equip. Is that a normal thing? Normal for certain companies FAN discounts? Or did I almost get BS'ed/railroaded somewhere?

Edit: guy at the store is the same guy who just recently got us an upgrade 3 weeks early so I hope nothing bad comes on him cause of something it seems like he had no idea of. The 611 people did call the store.

I've run into the FAN contract issue before but he is correct that it should not be a contract. The two ways to get around it are to either remove the FAN and then re add it afterwards (too late for the rep to do that), or to file in the system t have the contract removed (also the rep that does this and he can).

I wouldn't panic, with a dispute and account research you can prove you weren't supposed to have a contract. Simplest fix is to get back, see the rep and have him file to have the contract removed.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I have Telegence access. Should I?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Beefstorm posted:

I have Telegence access. Should I?

You wont in a few days.

:)

Once you log in, And they realize it. Itll get shut down. By default the cor rep profile has access. But theres some auto policy if you dont have a second flag itll shut down the account. Happened to me. You can get access again later if they feel you need it. But you have desk monkies to gently caress with it. Just call support and make them jerk that piece of poo poo off. Use Opus, Its a billion times better for a POS system. Sure when theres a problem its nice to just fix it if you know how but christ theres so much little bullshit. Plus you need to know soc codes and all kinds of poo poo. Instead of just "click box" "apply feature" Done. And this is coming from someone who managed to keep it in a market that they didnt want ANY reps to have it. If you get good with it, Expect it to cut into your sales time. Use support.

Guess what im saying, Take a peek now, but dont get used to it. :)

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima
I'd like to use a custom SIM while in Asia, AT&T won't unlock my phone till my 2 years are up. Any way around this?

Medikit fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 4, 2013

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

EbolaIvory posted:

You wont in a few days.

:)

Once you log in, And they realize it. Itll get shut down. By default the cor rep profile has access. But theres some auto policy if you dont have a second flag itll shut down the account. Happened to me. You can get access again later if they feel you need it. But you have desk monkies to gently caress with it. Just call support and make them jerk that piece of poo poo off. Use Opus, Its a billion times better for a POS system. Sure when theres a problem its nice to just fix it if you know how but christ theres so much little bullshit. Plus you need to know soc codes and all kinds of poo poo. Instead of just "click box" "apply feature" Done. And this is coming from someone who managed to keep it in a market that they didnt want ANY reps to have it. If you get good with it, Expect it to cut into your sales time. Use support.

Guess what im saying, Take a peek now, but dont get used to it. :)

:( I've been checking it out for a couple days. That's upsetting. It seems so useful when you REALLY need it. Also, there are some reports about this company, that I feel like, I shouldn't have access to. Probably shouldn't say what they are for reasons of probably being fired for divulging them...but like, wow. Talk about details that we DON'T NEED.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Beefstorm posted:

:( I've been checking it out for a couple days. That's upsetting. It seems so useful when you REALLY need it. Also, there are some reports about this company, that I feel like, I shouldn't have access to. Probably shouldn't say what they are for reasons of probably being fired for divulging them...but like, wow. Talk about details that we DON'T NEED.

I know right? Sprints totally the other way around, No access to poo poo. Cross your fingers on tele but honestly I havent seen a "new" employee keep it before. At least in MWR

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Medikit posted:

I'd like to use a custom SIM while in Asia, AT&T won't unlock my phone till my 2 years are up. Any way around this?

Call and tell customer service you are traveling internationally and need to use a foreign SIM.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
I have a mobile share plan with just one line. Is there any way to add a line for just a month without having to pay an ETF when I cancel it?

edit: I'd just go the GoPhone route, but this line needs LTE data.

quadratic fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 4, 2013

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

quadratic posted:

I have a mobile share plan with just one line. Is there any way to add a line for just a month without having to pay an ETF when I cancel it?

Yes, dont buy a new subsidized phone when you activate the line. You will pay the activation though. Better off just getting a pre-paid if its only a month.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

obeyasia posted:

Yes, dont buy a new subsidized phone when you activate the line. You will pay the activation though. Better off just getting a pre-paid if its only a month.

Thanks, I was under the impression that they were requiring 2-year contracts even on unsubsidized lines.

I must have edited right as you posted, but I need data (and LTE) for this line and it seems like you can't get that with their prepaid lines.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

quadratic posted:

Thanks, I was under the impression that they were requiring 2-year contracts even on unsubsidized lines.

I must have edited right as you posted, but I need data (and LTE) for this line and it seems like you can't get that with their prepaid lines.

You are correct, so if you are willing to pay the premium as long as you provide your own phone you will not have a contract.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duckman2008 posted:

You are correct, so if you are willing to pay the premium as long as you provide your own phone you will not have a contract.

Assuming the rep who does it remembers to drop down the 0 contract box and not lying about saying they cant do it.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

EbolaIvory posted:

Assuming the rep who does it remembers to drop down the 0 contract box and not lying about saying they cant do it.

Apparently you need a manager override to put a contract on Customer Owned Equipment. THats at least what I have learned in my training so far for COR stores.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Beefstorm posted:

Apparently you need a manager override to put a contract on Customer Owned Equipment. THats at least what I have learned in my training so far for COR stores.

Unless I had magic permissions you just change the contact length on the initial setup

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

Unless I had magic permissions you just change the contact length on the initial setup

The system errors out and insists that a contract is required for a FAN discount, especially on mobile opus.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duckman2008 posted:

The system errors out and insists that a contract is required for a FAN discount, especially on mobile opus.

I guess you're stuck removing and readding a fan then. If no fan is attached you should be able to do Zero contract

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

I guess you're stuck removing and readding a fan then. If no fan is attached you should be able to do Zero contract

Correct, you either remove and readd the fan or fix it through an escalation after the fact.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm traveling internationally in a month, and I'd like to unlock a phone, I have a GSM Galaxy Nexus already unlocked so I don't need to worry about that, but I want to get my wife's phone unlocked. We've been with AT&T for years, but I just renewed her contract and got her an iPhone 5 so they are rejecting my claims. I have a Samsung Focus, and a Samsung Blackjack II, if I could unlock one of them that'd be fine. How can I go about getting those old phones unlocked?

I've seen some ebay stores that unlock iPhones, is there one that is recommended or are they all illegal now with that inane DCMA thing?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duckman2008 posted:

Correct, you either remove and readd the fan or fix it through an escalation after the fact.

Managers can still swap FANs right?

I guess my point is. Seems like someone at that store was lazy as gently caress.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

Managers can still swap FANs right?

I guess my point is. Seems like someone at that store was lazy as gently caress.

Removing and re-adding FANs is fraud on some level according to someone I emailed about it. Ill see if I can dig up that email when I get back to work tomorrow.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

obeyasia posted:

Removing and re-adding FANs is fraud on some level according to someone I emailed about it. Ill see if I can dig up that email when I get back to work tomorrow.

It's not about fraud. Its about getting it done.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

EbolaIvory posted:

It's not about fraud. Its about getting it done.

^

Call customer service. Customer had error on bill.
CS: "We cant do anything about it."
Me: "But the charges aren't legit..."
CS: "Yeah that doesn't matter."

Call RAE. Charges gone in 5 minutes. That story I just said can be told a billion times with different customers. That's why I went to COR. Going the LONG rear end WAY around things is stupid. I just want to fix the customers problem and move on.

On that note, if you ever have problems with your bill, an AR is just going to call customer service for you. Save your gas and call. Or go to a COR store.

On a more awkward note, I was in training on Friday, annnnnnnnd my RAE walked in. :sweatdrop: He did NOT know I went to COR since I outright lied to my dealer about leaving for COR because of that whole non-compete clause. I talked to him afterwards and he said he wouldn't say anything. So I'm crossing my fingers.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

^

Call customer service. Customer had error on bill.
CS: "We cant do anything about it."
Me: "But the charges aren't legit..."
CS: "Yeah that doesn't matter."

Call RAE. Charges gone in 5 minutes. That story I just said can be told a billion times with different customers. That's why I went to COR. Going the LONG rear end WAY around things is stupid. I just want to fix the customers problem and move on.

On that note, if you ever have problems with your bill, an AR is just going to call customer service for you. Save your gas and call. Or go to a COR store.

On a more awkward note, I was in training on Friday, annnnnnnnd my RAE walked in. :sweatdrop: He did NOT know I went to COR since I outright lied to my dealer about leaving for COR because of that whole non-compete clause. I talked to him afterwards and he said he wouldn't say anything. So I'm crossing my fingers.

You should still expect to have to call into care a decent bit. ATT claims that reps have the ability to on the spot fix customer issues with a credit, but its so locked down now you basically need approval from management, and my management team at least is really cautious with their credit budget, so having care fix an issue fixes the problem while still having a budget to credit for new lines or whatever else.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Can anyone with experience having Uverse chime in? I currently subscribe to Time Warner and absolutely hate it. However, no one I know has ever went with AT&T as a cable provider so I can't ask anyone their opinion on the matter. Thanks! Oh, and if it matters, I go through AT&T for my cellphone plan.

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 7, 2013

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Can anyone with experience having Uverse chime in? I currently subscribe to Time Warner and absolutely hate it. However, no one I know has ever went with AT&T as a cable provider so I can't ask anyone their opinion on the matter. Thanks! Oh, and if it matters, I go through AT&T for my cellphone plan.

I had it for 2 years when I lived in a neighborhood that had it available. This will all be anecdotal of course. I had only 1 ever service outage that I can recall. TV was consistently of decent quality, but i didnt have an HD TV at the time. Internet speeds are consistent with advertised. I was paying for 12mb, and sure enough I could top a torrent out at 1.2-1.3MB/s.
If you're gonna put an order in, before you do, PM me or something. I'll at least make sure AT&T delivers every possible promo and discount available.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

obeyasia posted:

I had it for 2 years when I lived in a neighborhood that had it available. This will all be anecdotal of course. I had only 1 ever service outage that I can recall. TV was consistently of decent quality, but i didnt have an HD TV at the time. Internet speeds are consistent with advertised. I was paying for 12mb, and sure enough I could top a torrent out at 1.2-1.3MB/s.
If you're gonna put an order in, before you do, PM me or something. I'll at least make sure AT&T delivers every possible promo and discount available.

Thanks! I certainly will drop you a line before I make an order. Having a good HD experience is at the top of my list of demands, so I think I will try to track down a little more anecdotal experiences before I pull the trigger.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Thanks! I certainly will drop you a line before I make an order. Having a good HD experience is at the top of my list of demands, so I think I will try to track down a little more anecdotal experiences before I pull the trigger.

Ask your neighbors. They will give you the best idea of what service will be like in your neighborhood.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I'm glad I read this thread, I signed up for a Mobile Share data plan for my laptop, and while the rep said it was month-to-month since it was my own device, looking on the website I am indeed on a contract. :I

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Hello.

My wife and I have a MOBILE SHARE 1GB plan with TWO smartphones. I would love to tell you what we are paying for this, but since we turned off uverse last week I have not been able to view our bill online. Maybe some day it will return LOL.

I am trying to add a third line, and eventually we may add an AT&T ipad. When I login at att.com and 'Add a line' -> 'Add a line – Mobile Share' -> Select iPhone 5 -> no accessories ->

at the Rate Plans screen I select "AT&T Mobile Share(R) with Unlimited Talk & Text" with a monthly charge of $0.00 listed. The next screen is for selecting 'Data Plans for iPhone'. I suppose I want to join a mobile share group? So I enter my mobile number...

Three plans are presented. The first is our current one 'AT&T Mobile Share(R) 1GB with Unlimited Talk & Text' for $34.80 (normally $40 but corp discount, ha). It says 2 of 10 lines in group. It is missing an 'Add to Cart' button. Huh? But it does have a selected radio button, and that is the only radio button.

There is a $45 option for 'AT&T Mobile Share(R) Personal for iPhone on 4G LTE (1)'. Is AT&T really charging more for data on an iphone just because it is an iphone? I feel dumb enough buying an iphone.

Some one please explain what I can do here.

edit: and if we upgrade a line to an iphone online we have to join it to a single-user data plan and then put it back in the share plan later? And there is a $30 upgrade fee :/.

other people fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 8, 2013

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Hello.

My wife and I have a MOBILE SHARE 1GB plan with TWO smartphones. I would love to tell you what we are paying for this, but since we turned off uverse last week I have not been able to view our bill online. Maybe some day it will return LOL.

I am trying to add a third line, and eventually we may add an AT&T ipad. When I login at att.com and 'Add a line' -> 'Add a line – Mobile Share' -> Select iPhone 5 -> no accessories ->

at the Rate Plans screen I select "AT&T Mobile Share(R) with Unlimited Talk & Text" with a monthly charge of $0.00 listed. The next screen is for selecting 'Data Plans for iPhone'. I suppose I want to join a mobile share group? So I enter my mobile number...

Three plans are presented. The first is our current one 'AT&T Mobile Share(R) 1GB with Unlimited Talk & Text' for $34.80 (normally $40 but corp discount, ha). It says 2 of 10 lines in group. It is missing an 'Add to Cart' button. Huh? But it does have a selected radio button, and that is the only radio button.

There is a $45 option for 'AT&T Mobile Share(R) Personal for iPhone on 4G LTE (1)'. Is AT&T really charging more for data on an iphone just because it is an iphone? I feel dumb enough buying an iphone.

Some one please explain what I can do here.

edit: and if we upgrade a line to an iphone online we have to join it to a single-user data plan and then put it back in the share plan later? And there is a $30 upgrade fee :/.

You just don't understand the pricing structure for the service you are paying for, that's all. The data bucket is $40 ($34.80 w/your discount) and then EVERY smart phone after that is $45 per line. Activations/Upgrades are $36 regardless. Good luck getting it waived. AT&T corporate just dropped a serious hammer on them and have reinforced to us retail heads that there is no waiving them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

obeyasia posted:

You just don't understand the pricing structure for the service you are paying for, that's all. The data bucket is $40 ($34.80 w/your discount) and then EVERY smart phone after that is $45 per line. Activations/Upgrades are $36 regardless. Good luck getting it waived. AT&T corporate just dropped a serious hammer on them and have reinforced to us retail heads that there is no waiving them.

Its like that at any Corp wireless now a days. Sprint did, and im sure the other big 2 are not letting that slide any more. I know I paid 36 for my last one, and that was a while ago.