Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Nikaer Drekin posted:

My least favorite on Era Vulgaris is probably Run, Pig, Run- it's not really bad or anything, but Long Slow Goodbye and I Think I Lost My Headache are such amazing last tracks for their respective albums that it just seems weak in comparison.
See, I think it upholds the same amazing last-track record. So loving creepy and borderline insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'd definitely start with Rated R and Songs for the Deaf. Honestly, I just don't listen to the later stuff much, and I'm not sure why - it's not that I don't like it, that's for sure. And I love Them Crooked Vultures. :shrug:

I remember being incredibly sick of hearing everyone I knew singing "Feel Good Hit of the Summer". Not to mention, doing the drugs mentioned in that song, in that order, is a terrible idea. Never drink alcohol while on or immediately after Ecstasy!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So silly question, but I remember them chopping and changing the setlist each night when I saw them (during the Era Vulgaris tour). Do they just play the same shows at festival, or do you think they only have a small mount of material with the new drummer?

Also for a laugh, Dave Grohl playing Hanging Tree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TkVl8scFFw

He plays it C C C C# instead of C C C D which is why it sounds "dark" or "wrong"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

LordPants posted:

So silly question, but I remember them chopping and changing the setlist each night when I saw them (during the Era Vulgaris tour). Do they just play the same shows at festival, or do you think they only have a small mount of material with the new drummer?

Tough to say for now, since there's only been one full setlist thus far. The second one I've seen included the same songs as the first one, plus a few more. I think the only thing that's certain is an absence of self-titled album stuff; IIRC Josh said playing all those songs for that album re-release tour made them sick, sick, sick of it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That's sad, Avon, If Only and Regular John were some of my favorite songs and I didn't the band on the Queens of the Stone Age tour. Although looking at the setlist of the last show I saw apparently I heard Avon but I don't remember it too well. :iiam:

double edit: Last time they played a non festival show in Australia from memory they were playing the same night same time as Primus and I literally had one of those fits of indecision meaning I saw neither band. :suicide:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I'm of two minds about Oliveri returning. On one hand, I think he (and Grohl) really provided the insane energy that made Songs for the Deaf so good, while the albums after feel kinda flat. However, he is a girlfriend beating piece of poo poo who deserves no cut of fame, and I wouldn't mind him disappearing.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Famethrowa posted:

I'm of two minds about Oliveri returning. On one hand, I think he (and Grohl) really provided the insane energy that made Songs for the Deaf so good, while the albums after feel kinda flat. However, he is a girlfriend beating piece of poo poo who deserves no cut of fame, and I wouldn't mind him disappearing.

That was 10 years ago. Hopefully he's changed. Though I guess we might never know.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

That was 10 years ago. Hopefully he's changed. Though I guess we might never know.

The swat team incident was only a couple of years ago I think. So that's a no.

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy

LordPants posted:

He plays it C C C C# instead of C C C D which is why it sounds "dark" or "wrong"

That's how the bass part is on the original Desert Sessions recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DjZ8B9uNyk

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

He isn't returning. Michael Shuman is still the bassist. It's probably just for a one-off song because Josh knew there's no way Nick would be able to handle touring with his 3 years of probation.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Run Dodo Run posted:

The swat team incident was only a couple of years ago I think. So that's a no.

Never heard about that. Oh well.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

Never heard about that. Oh well.
I posted about it on the first page of this very thread. Check his wikipedia if you're interested on more details, he's a deranged lunatic.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
I'd be really thrilled if Nick came back, we really need more songs like Ode to Clarissa, that stuff is just great. It doesn't excuse any of the poo poo he's been pulling off, though.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mia2000 posted:

That's how the bass part is on the original Desert Sessions recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DjZ8B9uNyk

Huh. There you go.

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)

Famethrowa posted:

I'm guessing he went to rehab and made some pretty heavy apologies to be allowed to play with QOTSA again.

Zaburino
Jul 22, 2006
Wikipedia says Oliveri is only contributing vocals to one song, so Homme could have just stayed home that day or something.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Handen posted:

Calling it now: The blue/black/white colour scheme will be inverted come June.

It's getting there...

https://www.mygodisthesun.com

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
When they say "contributed vocals to", let's not get too excited. Shirley Manson, Brody Dalle and Jack Black are on Lullabies, and before that was released people made a big deal, but they are barely audible.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
:woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg7vvMeDuhc

Terrible quality but still.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Haha, that would probably sound great if not for Baby's First Live Audio Mix.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
So, this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cka6X2Ow0Ik

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Zaburino posted:

Wikipedia says Oliveri is only contributing vocals to one song, so Homme could have just stayed home that day or something.

Maybe it'll be like that Mr Bungle song where the bassist knew nothing about it until he found the recording in the studio one day, so he recorded old man vocals all over it and Mike Patton didn't find out until just before the album was released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydChUtBuVBE

edit for nurp

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 7, 2013

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Bill Hader is a pretty good key player

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Maybe it'll be like that Mr Bungle song where the bassist knew nothing about it until he found the recording in the studio one day, so he recorded old man vocals all over it and Mike Patton didn't find out until just before the album was released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydChUtBuVBE

edit for nurp

Haha what's this? This I'd like to know more about!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

nosophoros posted:

Haha what's this? This I'd like to know more about!

Everything you want to know... and probably more!

http://www.bunglefever.com/faq.html#VI.5

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Handen posted:

Calling it now: The blue/black/white colour scheme will be inverted come June.

:holy::unsmigghh::holy:

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I hope that sticks. Looks way better than the blue/black one.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

He isn't returning. Michael Shuman is still the bassist. It's probably just for a one-off song because Josh knew there's no way Nick would be able to handle touring with his 3 years of probation.

Ah. Fair enough.

Still don't think he deserves to be on Queens liner notes. :colbert:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

Ah. Fair enough.

Still don't think he deserves to be on Queens liner notes. :colbert:

Yeah, I doubt we'll see him around the band. I don't blame Josh for wanting to help the guy--they were really great friends--but can't because of all the poo poo domestic abuse/drugs/etc he sticks to. He helped Jesse Hughes get out of the drug rut he had been in, and that seemed to work out better, fortunately.

Don't forget, around 2:40 EST, the studio version of My God Is The Sun is supposed to be broadcast today.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

:siren: My God Is The Sun is up. :siren:

It's very nice sounding.

Tychtrip fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 8, 2013

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

Yes! Preorder is up too....

http://store.matadorrecords.com/like-clockwork

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
Oh God, this is so good. Why isn't it June already?

mulletlummox
Feb 26, 2003

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Oh man, the album version of My god is the son is so loving good.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm so stoked that after 6 years of waiting, this literally arrives on my birthday. Album version is even better but I can't wait for a tracklist to leak, they never disappoint with killer song names.

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

1. Keep Your Eyes Peeled

2. I Sat By The Ocean

3. The Vampyre of Time and Memory

4. If I Had A Tail

5. My God Is The Sun

6. Kalopsia

7. Fairweather Friends

8. Smooth Sailing

9. I Appear Missing

10. …Like Clockwork

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
That album art is rad. Loving it.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

mia2000 posted:

1. Keep Your Eyes Peeled
2. I Sat By The Ocean
3. The Vampyre of Time and Memory
4. If I Had A Tail
5. My God Is The Sun
6. Kalopsia
7. Fairweather Friends
8. Smooth Sailing
9. I Appear Missing
10. …Like Clockwork

Aw man I was hoping we could get another 2-3 tracks :(

Still though if all the songs are anywhere near as good as My God is the Sun this album will be incredible.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

LordPants posted:

Alain Johannes posted in the Youtube comments there that Dave played it correctly (how it was originally played) to correct someone else and I can't stop laughing at that.

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

Manoueverable posted:

Aw man I was hoping we could get another 2-3 tracks :(

Still though if all the songs are anywhere near as good as My God is the Sun this album will be incredible.

There's usually a bunch of B-sides on the single releases. :)

(e: ... which would be like, duh, 30 years ago.)

Man, QotSA is good at making rock songs in 3/4 and 6/8 time.

Mr. Mojangles fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

That album art is rad. Loving it.

I need a poster of this yesterday.

• Locked thread