Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

. Guess I'll see that land again in September :(

Actually we can probably expect to lose 2 more land when the clocks, again, make the game's timer flip its poo poo.

Now my land count is perpetually at XX8 instead of a nice round multiple of ten :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Y'know, I played Pixel People to 150, but it's a pretty awful game. Ludicrously short timers, the random animals, the exponential pricing.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Corridor posted:

Actually we can probably expect to lose 2 more land when the clocks, again, make the game's timer flip its poo poo.

Now my land count is perpetually at XX8 instead of a nice round multiple of ten :(
You can buy individual land upgrades from the Space Church for utopium. If you haven't bought any yet it starts out pretty cheap. That's only if your OCD is as bad as mine. I have no idea why you lost land though, I didn't experience it with the time change.

graventy posted:

Y'know, I played Pixel People to 150, but it's a pretty awful game. Ludicrously short timers, the random animals, the exponential pricing.
The latest patch did some balancing with the pricing and the heart rewards. The coin surprises are either 100,000 or 500,000 for me, and there are quests you can do that earn you millions of coins. "Monkey Business" where you trade in a bunch of primate animals pays out 150 million.

I mean, it still has a ton of problems and is still a buggy mess, but it's an amusing mess. It's also a lot better if you upgrade the buildings, especially if you buy the $1 doubler. I can understand not paying money if you're not enjoying it, of course.

In Nimble Quest news, I finally beat the Depths I and managed to squeak through Forest II. Is my only hope to get farther to level my characters up more? There are so many enemies on screen by that point my party gets obliterated in seconds, even with the buffs. Also, what's the advantage of the speed boost? Seems like it would be more likely to get you killed.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

FreakyZoid posted:

The answer to every Pixel People question is "because it's a really buggy mess".

I uninstalled just before the latest update. As I was getting things maxed out, it dawned on me what a time-sink the game is and how little out was getting out of it. /randombitching

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It was just a time-sink from the very beginning, it had charm but not a whole lot else.

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

if someone said they'd give me money to play music + not have a job anymore I'd say NO
I've been playing alot of real racing 3. As much as I loving hate those timers, and it's alot, I still can't seem to stop playing it and grinding mt panorama.

I'd really like some friends to play with through Time Shifted Multiplayer(tm) though. My gamecenter id is ubit_bruce.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands

DarkHorse posted:

You can buy individual land upgrades from the Space Church for utopium. If you haven't bought any yet it starts out pretty cheap. That's only if your OCD is as bad as mine. I have no idea why you lost land though, I didn't experience it with the time change.
The latest patch did some balancing with the pricing and the heart rewards. The coin surprises are either 100,000 or 500,000 for me, and there are quests you can do that earn you millions of coins. "Monkey Business" where you trade in a bunch of primate animals pays out 150 million.

I mean, it still has a ton of problems and is still a buggy mess, but it's an amusing mess. It's also a lot better if you upgrade the buildings, especially if you buy the $1 doubler. I can understand not paying money if you're not enjoying it, of course.

In Nimble Quest news, I finally beat the Depths I and managed to squeak through Forest II. Is my only hope to get farther to level my characters up more? There are so many enemies on screen by that point my party gets obliterated in seconds, even with the buffs. Also, what's the advantage of the speed boost? Seems like it would be more likely to get you killed.

I thought that'd be the case with the speed boost too, but now that you're getting to the point where fast enemies appear more often, it'll help to be able to catch up with them. Speed also helps you get the jump on enemies before they fully spawn, plus you can collect more gems from chests.

Compared to other freemium townbuilders, Pixel People is all right, and the update did rebalance things so it's less of a slog, for the most part... but having actual game progression depend on its awful RNG is some straight-up bullshit. It just becomes a lottery game at this point and it's the most unfun thing ever.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I'm up to 170 land in Pixel People and it's now at the point where it takes 2-3 days to grind up enough cash for the next expansion. I really can't be bothered tapping all my buildings every 10 minutes for a couple of days, so yeah I think that's basically it for me!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I scummed the money glitch to get a shitload of land but then I updated an lost it. I wonder if I can install the older version and cheat myself some money again.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

JERFit posted:

I've been playing alot of real racing 3. As much as I loving hate those timers, and it's alot, I still can't seem to stop playing it and grinding mt panorama.

I'd really like some friends to play with through Time Shifted Multiplayer(tm) though. My gamecenter id is ubit_bruce.
You can always just set your system clock forward to skip the timers.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I exploited the infinite loot cheat in Happy Street and upgraded my manufacturing buildings to the maximum. Which means the most complex items now only take 4 hours to make instead of 8. :negative:

If it werent for the story bits...

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING

Happy Bear Suit posted:

You can always just set your system clock forward to skip the timers.

This works in 2013? Shiiiiiiiiit. My 8 year old self would be proud.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sometimes it works. Sometimes the game remembers how far in the future you've been and refuses to cough up more til you reach the future.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Are there any other decent iOS review sites other than touch arcade?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Pocket Tactics is pretty nice, but their reviews are pretty intermittent and they're focused on strategy/tactics games. They're also great for news regarding the genre.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

Apocron posted:

I like AppSpy.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING

Apocron posted:

I use toucharcade, appshopper, SA threads, and a mixture of posts I see from various tech blogs that will recommend the occasional app.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
It got mentioned earlier, but the "Choice of" games are pretty loving cool. They have some free ones that have nags but seem otherwise complete, and straight up pay ones for 2-3 bucks. I played through Choice of Dragons once and I'm playing through Choice of Broadsides now. More than playing a Choose Your Own Adventure game, these are like playing a themed version of Alter Ego, and if you haven't played that, you should really click that link. I'm looking forward to grabbing either the Star Captain one or Eerie Real Estate Agent after I go through these a few times.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
The best/most recent ones are The Fleet and Choice of Kung Fu, the superhero one is pretty good too. The older ones are good but the new ones are really much more fleshed out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Grimmeh posted:

I like AppSpy.

Agreed. AppSpy is the best. It's just no bullshit brief reviews of games that I usually agree with.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

duckfarts posted:

It got mentioned earlier, but the "Choice of" games are pretty loving cool. They have some free ones that have nags but seem otherwise complete, and straight up pay ones for 2-3 bucks. I played through Choice of Dragons once and I'm playing through Choice of Broadsides now. More than playing a Choose Your Own Adventure game, these are like playing a themed version of Alter Ego, and if you haven't played that, you should really click that link. I'm looking forward to grabbing either the Star Captain one or Eerie Real Estate Agent after I go through these a few times.

Seconding everything in the post. Alter Ego and Choice of are really freakin' great.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

SynthOrange posted:

Sometimes it works. Sometimes the game remembers how far in the future you've been and refuses to cough up more til you reach the future.

Yeah, I can't get any more energy in Battle Cats until December 11th, 2213.

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet

LingcodKilla posted:

Anyone got an opion on The Bard's Tale? I recall the game from the early 90s being fun but I doubt this is the same people.

If you are looking for old-school Bard's Tale fun then Silver Sword is very good, and faithful to the spirit of the original, but with nicer graphics.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

What's the appeal of Battle Cats? Is it just the cats themselves? I enjoyed all the horrifying kitty monstrosities, but the gameplay was like the most boring loving tower defense in the world. I got up to like level 9 and then couldn't force myself further.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

langurmonkey posted:

If you are looking for old-school Bard's Tale fun then Silver Sword is very good, and faithful to the spirit of the original, but with nicer graphics.

I thought this looked really good from the website, noted it was £2.49 and thought wth, sometimes you should splash out. I already own it... I think it's time to go through my purchase history and see what else I bought early on and deleted to make room for other stuff >.<

Any starter tips similar to the ton of useful info banded around for The Quest? (Which I will probably get next after actually putting in some playtime in Silversword)

Fazana fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 8, 2013

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Corridor posted:

What's the appeal of Battle Cats? Is it just the cats themselves? I enjoyed all the horrifying kitty monstrosities, but the gameplay was like the most boring loving tower defense in the world. I got up to like level 9 and then couldn't force myself further.

Character design is delightfully bizarre, including the enemies and enemy bases. There's some minor strategy in there also, but the weirdness is what really drives it I think. Also, people seem to enjoy rush games.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I tried Choice of Broadsides and Romance and they had their high points but both seemed quite short and the relationship parts were awkward. Are the rest of the "Choice of" Games the same?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
The newer ones are much more fleshed-out and longer, Broadsides and Dragons are the simplest I think.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

The new batman/superman/flash/whoever game is really good. Injustice it's called. Think it is supposed to promote the console games, but it's good in its own right.

Really enjoying it.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
Wonderputt (iPad only) is currently free. Everyone grab it. It started out as a free Flash game, so look that up if you want to try it first.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Funso Banjo posted:

The new batman/superman/flash/whoever game is really good. Injustice it's called. Think it is supposed to promote the console games, but it's good in its own right.

Really enjoying it.

I liked it for an hour or so, but then the combat started to feel like a chore. Progression is SLOOOOOOOW.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Apocron posted:

I tried Choice of Broadsides and Romance and they had their high points but both seemed quite short and the relationship parts were awkward. Are the rest of the "Choice of" Games the same?

Broadsides is pretty neat, mostly because of the first half, my character is usually single by the end but a sweet rear end famous admiral.

50/50 I get killed in a mutiny.

Choice of Romance is a low end one in my opinion, Dragon is very simple. I recommend Choice of Kung Fu,

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Funso Banjo posted:

Really enjoying it.

It's fun, but gently caress you, Boss Mode Sinestro :argh:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I'd recommend Choice of Star Captain, written by Dorian Hart. You might not recognize the name but I'm sure you recognize the games he was a designer for

quote:

BioShock (2007), 2K Games, Inc.
Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich (2005), Irrational Games LLC
Freedom Force (2002), Crave Entertainment, Inc., Electronic Arts, Inc.
Thief II: The Metal Age (2000), Eidos, Inc.
System Shock 2 (1999), Electronic Arts, Inc.
Thief: The Dark Project (1998), Eidos Interactive, Inc.
Flight Unlimited II (1997), Eidos Interactive, Inc.
Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri (1996), Looking Glass Technologies, Inc.
System Shock (1994), Dro Soft, ORIGIN Systems, Inc.
Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds (1993), ORIGIN Systems, Inc.

Not sure of the specific role he played for all of those, but for System Shock 2 he was lead level/ scenario designer.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 8, 2013

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Figured I'd mention:

DJMAX RAY just updated with 15 more songs for $4.99 (if you get the bundle).

This app now has 23 songpacks / 115 songs (5 songs in each pack with 4 unlocked at start, 1 extra after you beat 8 goals) which is a absolute ton of content if you like DJ Max at all.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 8, 2013

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

DarkHorse posted:

With the speed buff you can avoid projectiles better (or at least the front guy can), and you can get within (and out of) range more swiftly. Later on when there are a ton of spawns it can also help you get to enemy parties and kill them before they phase in all the way and have a chance to attack back.

aquacadet
Aug 1, 2002

cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Quinch posted:

Playing Injustice and it got me thinking that you could probably come up with a decent fighting game using a virtual dpad and the swipe controls instead of buttons for attacking and blocking.

Also, putting another recommendation for Slayin, it's a good little time waster.

if we all wish hard enough maybe divekick will come to iOS at some point.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

furushotakeru posted:

With the speed buff you can avoid projectiles better (or at least the front guy can), and you can get within (and out of) range more swiftly. Later on when there are a ton of spawns it can also help you get to enemy parties and kill them before they phase in all the way and have a chance to attack back.

and run into walls 25% faster!

I know in theory speed is great, but in practice all it does is screw me over. I guess it's one of those things where you have to use it every time to get used to it or never use it.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?

aquacadet posted:

if we all wish hard enough maybe divekick will come to iOS at some point.

I can't believe this is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
After playing some endless runners I realized there's one that simply has to be made. An endless runner of the Battletoads jet bike track. :getin:

Duranki posted:

I can't believe this is real.

It's what happens when a joke is taken too far and people start taking it seriously instead.

• Locked thread