Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Zenith Nadir posted:

Humans Must Answer, the 2D space shooter by ex-S.T.A.L.K.E.R. devs, is in its final fundraiser week and needs a cash infusion to make it!

I always got the sense that the STALKER devs never really liked me, or any of their customers. Thats great in a russian style FPS but a 2d shootemup is a game that you want the devs to love you katamari damancy style.

Plus its in franks or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Zenith Nadir posted:

Humans Must Answer, the 2D space shooter by ex-S.T.A.L.K.E.R. devs, is in its final fundraiser week and needs a cash infusion to make it!

I don't get why they opened up Paypal options when they haven't even successfully funded the game.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Midrena posted:

I don't get why they opened up Paypal options when they haven't even successfully funded the game.
Maybe they will just dump the Paypal money into their own Kickstarter?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Orzo posted:

Maybe they will just dump the Paypal money into their own Kickstarter?

If they do that they deserve not to succeed. The sheer waste of double dipping taxes and fees is horrible.

edit: wow, that was a bit harsh. If it's something they accounted for beforehand, then it's cool, but still slightly wasteful. Better to pay the lamb and get the lion's share, I suppose.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 7, 2013

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Drifter posted:

If they do that they deserve not to succeed. The sheer waste of double dipping taxes and fees is horrible.
That's a bit extreme. Not everyone is eligible to use kickstarter to give funds, which is why a lot of people open it up as an option. And since the real drive of a kickstarter is 'I need X money to complete this product', does it really matter where the total funds come from?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Orzo posted:

That's a bit extreme. Not everyone is eligible to use kickstarter to give funds, which is why a lot of people open it up as an option. And since the real drive of a kickstarter is 'I need X money to complete this product', does it really matter where the total funds come from?

I think the criticism stems from opening Paypal before it's funded because if they get $2000 off Paypal, but don't succeed in funding on kickstarter then those $2000 have still been charged but there's no product.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

I think the criticism stems from opening Paypal before it's funded because if they get $2000 off Paypal, but don't succeed in funding on kickstarter then those $2000 have still been charged but there's no product.
Agreed, my post was about the hypothetical situation where they dump their paypal into their kickstarter to make sure they don't lose out on the kickstarter money.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Zenith Nadir posted:

The demo seems pretty drat solid. I'll kick a few Euro-bucks their way for a good SHMUP.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Orzo posted:

I am honestly surprised that such a polished, already-functional game like this hasn't met such a modest goal. The graphics are really great. Is the genre something people just aren't interested in?

Edit: The music is pretty great too.

Wasn't there another developer a while ago that was in a similar situation where they had a fairly functional game already and just needed some money to get it ready for commercial release? Then when their Kickstarter ended, they mentioned that they got a fair number of comments that basically said "Why do you need money? This game looks finished to me." I may be making that up but I swear I heard that somewhere.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Wasn't there another developer a while ago that was in a similar situation where they had a fairly functional game already and just needed some money to get it ready for commercial release? Then when their Kickstarter ended, they mentioned that they got a fair number of comments that basically said "Why do you need money? This game looks finished to me." I may be making that up but I swear I heard that somewhere.

That seems like a very worrying sentiment to me. Imagine trying to produce a respectable presentation for your game to show what aspects need funding and what is currently playable, and people refuse to give you money because they don't think you really need it. Well what did you think the Kickstarter page was set up for, so the devs could just sit on their thumbs?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

StevenM posted:

That seems like a very worrying sentiment to me. Imagine trying to produce a respectable presentation for your game to show what aspects need funding and what is currently playable, and people refuse to give you money because they don't think you really need it. Well what did you think the Kickstarter page was set up for, so the devs could just sit on their thumbs?

I find it very interesting. I wonder what the sweet spot is for finished vs. unfinished for maximum dollars. Nice graphics, but terribly animated? Overall beautiful but terrible gameplay? It sounds like kickstarter backers tend to like projects where they can feel like their dollar was a major factor in improving the game, and so they want a game that has potential but is obviously not good enough in its current form.

With bigger developers starting more and more kickstarters, and publishers trying to get in too, I bet there is a bunch of market research going on right now to figure out exactly how to wring the maximum amount of money out of backers.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Donated to the Shovel Knight Kickstarter. I really want Yacht Club to be able to reach that 4-player battle mode just because it sounds really fun.

Also I want to see Matt, Pat, and Woolie play it in a Best Friends Brawl episode.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Baloogan posted:

Uh, you mean pounds?

Kickstarter is still mostly an American service, they just recently decided to support start-ups in the UK. People in the rest of Europe have to work around the requirements if they want to get their project on KS. For example, Larian had to set up a subsidiary in California for their D:OS Kickstarter.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Baloogan posted:

It's six Jeffs to the Frank at the moment. You'd be a fool not to get in on the ground floor.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mojo Jojo posted:

It's six Jeffs to the Frank at the moment. You'd be a fool not to get in on the ground floor.

You'd have to be a fool to try. Jeffs and Franks may trade in a few places, but in the civilised world we only take the Mickey.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

call me when I can pledge in bitcoins. They won't know how much I've put up and neither will I.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Jedit posted:

I didn't back them because they're shitheads cashing in on nostalgia for a great game which they had gently caress all to do with the creation of and which has gently caress all to do with this game.

The dev team has quite a few of the original PS:T creators on board. Including Avellone who's widely considered the mastermind behind PS:T. Whether or not you feel like the game is going to be worthwhile I think it's fair to say it isn't a blind nostalgia cash grab.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

FriggenJ posted:

The dev team has quite a few of the original PS:T creators on board. Including Avellone who's widely considered the mastermind behind PS:T. Whether or not you feel like the game is going to be worthwhile I think it's fair to say it isn't a blind nostalgia cash grab.

Not to mention the masterminds behind Mask of the Betrayer and Vampire: Bloodlines, two of the best RPGS of the past decade.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

theblackw0lf posted:

Not to mention the masterminds behind Mask of the Betrayer and Vampire: Bloodlines, two of the best RPGS of the past decade.

Coincidentally I just started playing the Vampire RPG, and wow. Such an excellent game! I patched the game with the bug-fixing mod, hacked my character for combat to be trivial, and wow. One of the BEST RPGs I've ever played. Writing is great, and your decisions seem to actually matter. I don't know if decisions do or don't count that much, or if it's just illusion, but without spoiling anything, I've opened and closed a few major quests just with my dialogue choices. I never liked the whole Vampire thing, but I'm digging it.

Back to the PS:T kickstarter, it has a Hall of Fame of RPG writers and a famous and popular fantasy author, made by a guy who has dedicated his life to making the RPGs he believes in. It's a good project to back (although I don't think you can anymore since the Kickstarter ended a few days ago).

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Don Tacorleone posted:

Coincidentally I just started playing the Vampire RPG, and wow. Such an excellent game! I patched the game with the bug-fixing mod, hacked my character for combat to be trivial, and wow. One of the BEST RPGs I've ever played. Writing is great, and your decisions seem to actually matter. I don't know if decisions do or don't count that much, or if it's just illusion, but without spoiling anything, I've opened and closed a few major quests just with my dialogue choices. I never liked the whole Vampire thing, but I'm digging it.

Back to the PS:T kickstarter, it has a Hall of Fame of RPG writers and a famous and popular fantasy author, made by a guy who has dedicated his life to making the RPGs he believes in. It's a good project to back (although I don't think you can anymore since the Kickstarter ended a few days ago).

They kept the paypal store open. Additionally they've kept the last stretch goal (Stronghold, more story) open until the end of April due to fan demand. https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/store

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Don Tacorleone posted:

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is such a tragedy [in a video game sense], because with proper combat and a less rushed final few zones, it would be remembered as one of the greatest RPGs of all time by just about everybody. As it is, it's an absolutely amazing RPG saddled with some absolutely horrid combat. I still love it to death, though, because the writing, characters, quests, voice acting, and mood are just so, so good.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

ARACHNOTRON posted:

pro tip: The set of people donating to Torment is not necessarily the same set that donated to Wasteland 2. The overlap could be large, small, or nonexistent. Some of these people could potentially have not even known about the Wasteland 2 kickstarter, or know about it but not know it's the same company. Many could know but not care.

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to click around and see just who the heck donates at those insane $1,000+ tiers? I know you can click on a user and see what they've backed, though I don't know if you can see at what level. I'm more curious to go at it from the other direction - According to http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera, Torment has 9 people in for $10,000. I'd love to know what else those people are spending their money on. I don't even need to know who they are - not interested in stalking them at any level - but I've read all 255 pages of this thread in the last couple of weeks and it's been really fascinating. I don't even have a kickstarter profile myself but I eagerly look forward to the day I'll be able to buy all these great looking games.

Are there any websites like kicktraq which collate user data from kickstarter and let you see trends, e.g. how many people who donated to Torment •also• donated to DFA, or how many people who've pledged $5,000 for one game have pledged an equal amount to another game? That kind of thing.

Anecdotally, I've seen lots of posts in the thread about Notch kicking in $10,000 for a handful of projects. Is there some reliable source of info for that?

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
I don't think it is but having a bunch of statistics would be really rad. Project creators can definitely see who donated what, so inXile could definitely show a breakdown between WL2 and Torment (with no personal information obv) if they wanted to.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Each projects has a list of everyone who backed it, and each user has a list of what they backed all available to anyone who is logged in, so it seems like it would be fairly simple to compile those data, but I haven't seen it done.

e: there's nothing about how much you kicked in, though, only that you did

Arnold of Soissons fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 8, 2013

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Five Cent Deposit posted:

Anecdotally, I've seen lots of posts in the thread about Notch kicking in $10,000 for a handful of projects. Is there some reliable source of info for that?

Here's confirmation about him on the Torment kickstarter.

The problem with publishing data like you're talking about is that while it would be mega interesting to poke through, it would open backers up to all sorts of obnoxious poo poo. Even without the $ amount funded included, I could easily see every new RPG kickstarter trawling through databases to find people who have contributed to multiple other RPG's, then spamming them individually to try to get a few extra dollars. If it were published at all, I'd want it completely stripped of any sort of identifying information whatsoever.

E: Now that I think of it, I'm sure marketing research companies are already approaching successful KS's to offer money for the donor list. Is there stuff in KS's terms of service about this? A list of people willing to give money for a promise would be worth its weight in gold to a lot of businesses.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 8, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'd just like to know the average income or net worth of someone who donates $10,000. I mean obviously Notch can do whatever he wants, but you have to figure there's one guy who gave his life savings to see one of these games made.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'd just like to know the average income or net worth of someone who donates $10,000. I mean obviously Notch can do whatever he wants, but you have to figure there's one guy who gave his life savings to see one of these games made.

I imagine a lot of it is younger guys with decent jobs and credit cards, but living beyond their means.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I suspect in some cases it's not just one person, since I'd assume (or hope) that you are allowed to bring someone to these lavish parties or whatever. I think some goons pitched in together for one of the more expensive tiers in the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You might be underestimating how much money some people how happen to be hardcore PC gamers have.

What do you think people who've retired before they're 30 because they've made many millions of dollars do? They have to do something with their time and money. There are also plenty of extremely wealthy kids of mega-millionaires. $10,000 really is not much to someone with a net worth of >$10 million.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I could see myself doing it if I cared maybe twice as much about games as I do, and weren't such a tightwad. I'll get excited about some of these high tier rewards but then sit down and reason to myself that I wouldn't actually get what would be worth (to me) that much money. As it stands the highest I've given to a kickstarter is $45 for torment, and that's only because that tier included Wasteland 2. I'm not rich or anything, but I have no debt or dependents and gaming is my only remotely expensive hobby.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Kenshin posted:

You might be underestimating how much money some people how happen to be hardcore PC gamers have.

What do you think people who've retired before they're 30 because they've made many millions of dollars do? They have to do something with their time and money. There are also plenty of extremely wealthy kids of mega-millionaires. $10,000 really is not much to someone with a net worth of >$10 million.

Well, that's actually what I want to find out. I know those people exist(Notch is one of them, so of course they do) but I want to find out if the 10 grand backers are mostly that kind of person.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kenshin posted:

You also underestimate the degree of fiscal irresponsibility less fortunate people can exhibit. There was at least one goon who was nearly brankrupting himself while spending thousands of dollars on kickstarters.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Well, that's actually what I want to find out. I know those people exist(Notch is one of them, so of course they do) but I want to find out if the 10 grand backers are mostly that kind of person.

That steve dengler dude basically invests in video games as a job now since he made all of his money in the dot com bubble.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You also underestimate the degree of fiscal irresponsibility less fortunate people can exhibit. There was at least one goon who was nearly brankrupting himself while spending thousands of dollars on kickstarters.

There was also the entire bitcoin thread. I vote for mainly irresponsibility, but there may well be a few Richie Rich types out there too.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
You also have to wonder how many of the high-rolling pledges fall through when Amazon goes to charge the cards.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Some of the high end backers could also be on behalf of companies. We know that the guy that runs Razer and Obsidian backed Torment for some amount (likely one of the higher tiers), and I imagine those donations probably don't come out of the CEOs personal pocket.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

GhostBoy posted:

Some of the high end backers could also be on behalf of companies. We know that the guy that runs Razer and Obsidian backed Torment for some amount (likely one of the higher tiers), and I imagine those donations probably don't come out of the CEOs personal pocket.

Do they go for the actual level, though, or just pledge the money? I mean a corporation doesn't care about a resin statue and an invitation to a party for two people, right?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Do they go for the actual level, though, or just pledge the money? I mean a corporation doesn't care about a resin statue and an invitation to a party for two people, right?
Every corporation I've ever worked at had people that just loved to go to whatever gathering they could to party and make connections. Also Obsidian/inXile are filled with people that love collectable crap and it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't somebody at more formal corporations wouldn't totally sneak that statue into a bag to bring home.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GhostBoy posted:

Why wouldn't those come out of pocket? Why would a company back a kickstarter project that they'll get nothing back from? Feargus's pledge on Torment was most likely his own personal money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Yeah, Ray Muzyka sunk $1,000 of his personal wealth into Project Eternity, but I think at that point he'd left Bioware.