Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thoren posted:

I wouldn't mind a gray area. Having the human-titans blend into humanity so well almost makes you feel pity for them. Their perception of humanity is clearly hosed, too. At the same time though, the poo poo they did is unforgivable. The foreshadowing looks like this might apply to humanity as well. It's kind of like how even if a murderer does amazing things after the fact, he or she will always be a stain upon the earth. in AOTG the question really is: Who's the stain and who is the janitor?

I don't really agree that someone doing something terrible makes them a permanent "stain upon the earth." Particularly in the case of Reiner and Bernholdt, committing some terrible crime at the age of 10 (I think?) doesn't mark someone as a bad person. That being said, killing/trying to kill their previous companions like they've done just recently is terrible and makes them pretty bad.

Do they ever give any idea of the total area that the humans in this series have explored? Like, what is the radius of the total area that they're familiar with? I can't imagine they've gone more than 20-30 miles outside of the city.

Oh, I also want to mention that I really liked the way they did the whole Reiner/Bernholdt as armored/colossal titan reveal. Eren's delayed reaction was pretty funny and mirrored my own pretty well. Related to that reveal, I do hope that they explain Reiner's whole monologue when they were under attack in the castle and before he was bitten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

Reiner/Bernholdt as armored/colossal titan reveal. Eren's delayed reaction was pretty funny and mirrored my own pretty well. Related to that reveal, I do hope that they explain Reiner's whole monologue when they were under attack in the castle and before he was bitten.

Forget that, theirs an even bigger issue hidden underneath that. Why were Reinder and his friend both human children in their flashback with Ymir when she was eating some dude?.

Obviously they don't plan on killing Eren and are trying to avoid casualties, so I'm wondering if they are even on the same side as the current Titans attacking the wall.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I don't really agree that someone doing something terrible makes them a permanent "stain upon the earth." Particularly in the case of Reiner and Bernholdt, committing some terrible crime at the age of 10 (I think?) doesn't mark someone as a bad person. That being said, killing/trying to kill their previous companions like they've done just recently is terrible and makes them pretty bad.

Terrible crime is an understatement. They jeopardized the very survival of the human species and their actions led to the death of many people. Even the "child soldier" justification falls flat for a crime like that.

In short, motherfucking Titans need to die :colbert:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Thoren posted:

Terrible crime is an understatement. They jeopardized the very survival of the human species and their actions led to the death of many people. Even the "child soldier" justification falls flat for a crime like that.

Most of these points have been debated already so I want both harping on my disagreement, but I'd like to point out that it's most likely that they were not endangering the survival of the human species by destroying the wall. The human-titan faction most likely exists outside the wall. Unless they're complete crazies they have to have a reason for destroying the walls and seeking the end of the civilization within that doesn't endanger their own existence. It therefore stands to reason that they, as humans, could carry on civilization and species once the walls are all destroyed.

Unless there ends up being a big twist on that front that throws the most basic logical assumptions out the window of course. Which is possible.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Sanguinia posted:

Most of these points have been debated already so I want both harping on my disagreement, but I'd like to point out that it's most likely that they were not endangering the survival of the human species by destroying the wall. The human-titan faction most likely exists outside the wall. Unless they're complete crazies they have to have a reason for destroying the walls and seeking the end of the civilization within that doesn't endanger their own existence. It therefore stands to reason that they, as humans, could carry on civilization and species once the walls are all destroyed.

Unless there ends up being a big twist on that front that throws the most basic logical assumptions out the window of course. Which is possible.

Yeah, I feel like they definitely feel they are justified in destroying the wall, for whatever reason. Maybe the people inside the wall created the titans in the first place, and the titan-people begrudge them for that. The existence of the walls seem a little too convenient, maybe some group made the walls then released a titan-producing plague on everyone outside it. Maybe they're angry that a bunch of titan brethren form the core of the walls. Maybe it's a sort of "I am Legend" thing where the people in the walls are actually throwbacks and the titans are wondering why the humans keep killing their young or something. I'm really looking forward to finding out.

Plus, as Sanguinia and others have posted, there's really no proof that the walled humans are the last on the planet. It's supposedly only been 100 years and change since the original titan attacks, it seems like too much information of the outside world has been lost it that to be an accident. Especially since Armin's grandfather wasn't supposed to have whatever books he did have.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It seems very likely that the walled city is the largest remaining population of humans, but there are smaller-scale alternatives to walls made out of titans. Underground, an island, mountainous terrain, etc.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Sanguinia posted:

You make good points. I guess I'm just closely tied to the human perspective of thing, ie, gently caress THOSE drat TITANS :argh:

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Human-Titans might be sterile. Far- fetched but do to the Titan goo it could render then incapable of pro- creating.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Human-Titans might be sterile. Far- fetched but do to the Titan goo it could render then incapable of pro- creating.

Well, they'd best hope at least that any potential partner isn't a biter... :gonk:

eladank
Feb 22, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I don't really agree that someone doing something terrible makes them a permanent "stain upon the earth." Particularly in the case of Reiner and Bernholdt, committing some terrible crime at the age of 10 (I think?) doesn't mark someone as a bad person..
they weren't ten when they tried to take down the second wall.

Giant Enemy Cliche
Oct 10, 2012

"It was then that an ominous man stood beside me with a face of ill portent."
My guess is the titans in the walls have some knowledge that is required to end the titans, or that would otherwise drat the religious leaders. Most likely, the furry titans began whatever causes the crazy titans. Human titans were created somehow, in order to provide protection. The wall was erected as a temporary measure and to provide a base of operation against the titans. However, it became a permanent when the gentry and the Religious leaders found themselves comfortable in the centre. The human titans were forced into exile and have recently been prompted into action to free the wall titans. Probably due to the appearance of the hairy titan near or within the walls, or knowing that he would appear.

Spoilered just in case.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Anime version's character designs have been released:

The rest are here at CR

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Haha Armin is being voiced by Yoko.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I think you mean, haha Ymir is being voiced by Hatsune Miku.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
They really hosed with Armin's bob.

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012

Thoren posted:

They really hosed with Armin's bob.

Yeah, it's a shame that they've simplified it. Although I suppose that redrawing every strand of his hair like in the manga would be too taxing for the animation team.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
New PV of Attack on Titan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHtdKWJdif4

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

So, I just blitzed through all 43 parts in this weekend and :asoiaf:

I was genuinely surprised at how good this is written. People act like actual human beings, and the titans are some of the most disturbing designs I've actually seen in awhile. I already can't wait for the next issue!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Fiend Computer posted:

So, I just blitzed through all 43 parts in this weekend and :asoiaf:
Hah! I did the same thing. I am also rather surprised that there were 30 pages of this thread to read through considering how slow the manga is. So I just skipped over most of them and it doesn't seem like the discussion got to a point where it wasn't clear and easy to understand.

Edit: Then again it makes sense when it's a month between each chapter and any time a new one is out everyone just goes on "Oh poo poo that is so cool!" "This scene rocks!" for two pages.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Is this show being put on Cruchyroll or the like by chance? The anime probably warrants it's own thread once it starts up if only to keep spoiler crossover from ruining some of the twists, but goddamn does it look good based on those PVs.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Hah! I did the same thing. I am also rather surprised that there were 30 pages of this thread to read through considering how slow the manga is. So I just skipped over most of them and it doesn't seem like the discussion got to a point where it wasn't clear and easy to understand.

Edit: Then again it makes sense when it's a month between each chapter and any time a new one is out everyone just goes on "Oh poo poo that is so cool!" "This scene rocks!" for two pages.

And pointing out how everything was foreshadowed 10 chapters ago, cannot forget that!

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Mo_Steel posted:

Is this show being put on Cruchyroll or the like by chance? The anime probably warrants it's own thread once it starts up if only to keep spoiler crossover from ruining some of the twists, but goddamn does it look good based on those PVs.
If I had to speculate, my guess is that it's one of those series that usually come down to the wire (last-minute licensing) depending on how much Funimation bids it up if it's interested (IMO not impossible), and if any other partners come in and collaborate with Crunchyroll. So you'll probably have to wait until just before broadcast to find out. Since nobody's announced it yet afaik, and it's Production I.G., maybe their asking price was high, or something, which would probably mean partnering up for the DVD rights, or a DVD distributor licensing it. If the price was high (or bidder up).

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Aren't titan's supposed to be relatively light? Those guys stomping around made it seem like they had some heft in their step

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Vincent Valentine posted:

Aren't titan's supposed to be relatively light? Those guys stomping around made it seem like they had some heft in their step

I think it's along the lines of say, a titan that's ten times the size of a human is only about five times the weight. So it's not that they're able to be tossed around super easy, they're just not nearly as heavy as they would be if they corresponded to a human's weight.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3542537

Made an anime thread for Attack on Titan!

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
So I just watched the first episode of the anime about 3 hours ago. Long story short, I'm now on chapter 32, holy poo poo this is good why didn't I pick this up before now.
edit: And now I'm up to date.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 7, 2013

Thoren
May 28, 2008

ActionZero posted:

So I just watched the first episode of the anime about 3 hours ago. Long story short, I'm now on chapter 32, holy poo poo this is good why didn't I pick this up before now.
edit: And now I'm up to date.

Enjoy the monthly waits :)

A new chapter is due next week!

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
How often is the anime supposed to update? Weekly?

snowberker
Dec 30, 2012
Just bought the first two books and I couldn't stop reading!

This is really interesting and is leaving me with so many questions, especially with the whole berserker titan.
Thanks for the great suggestion of reading this.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So, a two-cour anime. I'd say Annie's defeat seems like a logical endpoint, yes?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

So, a two-cour anime. I'd say Annie's defeat seems like a logical endpoint, yes?
Well, that's probably as far as they could possibly go, considering the next arc still isn't really done and probably won't really be before the anime ends. Don't know if they could do it in 26 episodes though.

Though if they somehow do get as far as the manga currently is and then do an anime only ending, I'd hope it'd be along the lines of the walls being broken down and humanity being wiped out. The end. No answers to anything. I mean, it'd fit the tone of the story at least.

FourOhFour
Oct 17, 2012

Eiba posted:

Though if they somehow do get as far as the manga currently is and then do an anime only ending, I'd hope it'd be along the lines of the walls being broken down and humanity being wiped out. The end. No answers to anything. I mean, it'd fit the tone of the story at least.

As far as an anime only ending to something could go, this is probably the best that could happen, especially for this series. The biggest fighter they have is the Eren Titan, and even then he's getting wrecked in the manga by the Armored Titan, so humanity's odds are looking really slim in the long term here. The next chapter is going to be interesting if he finds a way to fight back for real though.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
"Attack on Titan? Sounds pretty interesting, let's have a loo-" :stare:

:stare:

Four hours later and I'm still reading - I haven't been this captivated by a manga since I read the original Battle Angel Alita (thanks ADTRW!).

BrilliantFool
Jan 23, 2007

Bravo.
Oh, I'm in the wrong thread. Oops! Well isn't that ironic.

BrilliantFool fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 9, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

No he isn't.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So did the English publishers ever explain why they chose such a dumb and confusing name when they brought it over?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

RatHat posted:

So did the English publishers ever explain why they chose such a dumb and confusing name when they brought it over?
I think it's because that's what the original author wanted it to be.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Mangaka thought it up, they respected his wishes despite his grasp of English being tenuous at best, just like most Japanese.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Attack OF the Titans makes way more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You guys are going to feel silly when it turns out all the titans share a hive mind, and the secret of where the master titan is rests in Eren's dad's basement. The Scouting Legion and all the friendly human titans will ride out in an attack on that titan in the climax of the story.