Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Packet Tracer is great but doesn't get much of a mention on here. Always wondered why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah since we're talking about it, what IS a current CCNA lab looking like these days?

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Thirteenth Step posted:

Packet Tracer is great but doesn't get much of a mention on here. Always wondered why.

I used packet tracer pretty much exclusively for my CCNA studies. It was perfectly capable of doing everything required for the CCNA and more. There are some quirks - like it doesn't accept some widely used abbreviations in syntax, etc. Overall though, it's a really useful study/lab tool.

The only reason I'd ever suggest building a lab with physical gear is if you're completely new to the networking world and want to get your hands on the real thing.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah since we're talking about it, what IS a current CCNA lab looking like these days?

The same as ever. Ideal lab for cheap seems to be 2-3 2600xms, 2 x 2950s and a 3550. The new exams need ios15 but it's pretty identical to ios12.4 bar a few commands relating to how licensing works. A cisco 1841 256MB Ram/64MB flash is the minimum kit that can run IOS15 if you really want to run it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Thirteenth Step posted:

Unless things have changed, you had to be enrolled in a Cisco Networking Academy course in order to get it. GNS3, on the other hand, is free.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, is there such thing as a technet reseller, or discount codes?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

spidoman posted:

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, is there such thing as a technet reseller, or discount codes?

"Technet reseller" selling individual activation keys? No.
Discount codes for technet? Yes.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

ToG posted:

The same as ever. Ideal lab for cheap seems to be 2-3 2600xms, 2 x 2950s and a 3550. The new exams need ios15 but it's pretty identical to ios12.4 bar a few commands relating to how licensing works. A cisco 1841 256MB Ram/64MB flash is the minimum kit that can run IOS15 if you really want to run it.
Ahh cool, I didn't know if there had been strides or suggested upgrades in the home lab industry, thank you.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

I've been notified of a helldesk position opening at a new medical college nearby in a couple months. One of the requirements is that I have either the Windows 7 or Windows 8 MCIPT. I do know a bit already (I've been managing a small network for two years at my current job) but I don't have a large grasp on enterprise level machinations.

Is there a good comprehensive study guide for MS 70-680 and 685, and will it be better to get the Windows 8 MCIPT or just do Windows 7?

EDIT: I'm an idiot, I meant MCIPT.

Lareous fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 8, 2013

Lazer Vampire Jr.
Mar 31, 2005

Ask me about whatever fat loss diet is popular this month!
As mentioned the downside to legal procurement of Packet Tracer is having an account for the Cisco Networking Academy. The upside being that once you have a login you can download Packet Tracer even when you've finished the class. If you have a local community college and they have networking courses it'll probably be Cisco Networking Academy based and price-wise, yeah its more expensive than a e-bay/surplus router setup, but Packet Tracer has a lot of flexibility since it can simulate a ton of different hardware you find in an enterprise environment that purchasing an actual working model of is cost prohibitive.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
I'm told Cisco Learning Labs uses the same scenarios as Packet Tracer.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

CrazyLittle posted:

"Technet reseller" selling individual activation keys? No.
Discount codes for technet? Yes.

The discount codes have dried up since they lowered the cost (and the ammount of keys on the account). Your best bet for the lowest technet cost is to buy from a VAR or provantage

http://www.provantage.com/microsoft-jrf-00001~7MSTE00X.htm

E: never mind! the upgrade option is on my account!

incoherent fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 9, 2013

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
I ended up going with the Boson CCENT package that has the practice test and their NetSim.

GNS3 looks good but I didn't want to buy a router to get IOS and gently caress around configuring GNS3 itself. I don't want to sign up for a class to get Packet Tracer and the Learning Labs look good but I'm old timey and would rather have some software I can keep forever. The other advantage of the NetSim is it comes with labs so I don't have to create my own.

At $189 it wasn't too much more than the alternatives and I was going to buy the practice test for $100 anyway so hopefully the ~$50 premium I paid will be worth it.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
So my school's got a copy of Visual Cert and I've been taking 50 questions from the 220-701/702 daily. I've averaged a score of 940/1000 on the 701 and just started the 220-702 portion of the A+. My school offers a voucher for the certs and a discount if I don't pass my first time, something like half off the cost of another test.

Should I ask for the voucher now and test for the 701 now, or should I hold off? I feel comfortable with the material but I'm just not sure if I should risk it. I'm a bit nervous, mostly.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I booked my ICND1 for the end of May. Can anyone recommend any decent practice exams or questions? Even ones that are paid, if they aren't exorbitant.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

VR Cowboy posted:

I booked my ICND1 for the end of May. Can anyone recommend any decent practice exams or questions? Even ones that are paid, if they aren't exorbitant.

Yeah I would be interested in this as well. I ended up getting Boson Netsim for my lab practice but I am thinking of signing up to take ICND1 sometime end of April and could use some general practice exam stuff.

SilentGeek
Jul 24, 2011

Does anyone have a recommendation for a place to get discounted A+ exam vouchers? I know I can get them from TotalSem for $168 each but I was wondering if there was any place to get them cheaper.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Booked Network+ for May 4th. Almost done the CompTIA Microsoft version of the N10-005, listened to all of the audio CBT Nuggets and have been taking some tests over and over again. Just have to keep studying.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just remember that the simulations at the beginning are weighed more towards your score. After I completed them, the test picked up from question 21.

entragian
Oct 13, 2003

VR Cowboy posted:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 12, 2013

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

entragian posted:

braindumpsitethatischeating.com

That site is cheating and deserves to be removed.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

routenull0 posted:

That site is cheating and deserves to be removed.

Yeah, I'm not down with cheating on something I need to advance my career.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Anyone purchased 12-20U cabinets lately on the cheap? I need to build a mini-lab at home with a mix of GNS3/Cisco/Juniper for CCIE/JNCIE studying and I haven't stumbled upon anything good on craigslist.

I have my CCIE written scheduled in two months, so I want to get cracking on building out the lab soon.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002
I took and passed my PMP exam today!

As far as studying goes, I started by reading the PMBOK (pretty much cover-to-cover). It is awful and dry, but I do think I learned a good bit of the relevant content from it, so if you can stomach it, I'd personally say it is worth the effort. Just this studying got me into the mid-60% range on practice tests, which is supposedly about what you need to pass the exam.

I also took a 4-day exam prep boot camp last week from https://pmstudy.com. I thought the class was really helpful, but a caution for those who are considering it - they only teach you how to pass the test. The class is not a way to become a better project manager, but it focuses on the definitions, formulas, etc that you need to pass the test (including a lot of stuff that isn't in the PMBOK). They also have a good guarantee, where they pay for your 2nd and 3rd re-take of the exam if you don't pass on the first try (I did pass on the first try). My instructor was very knowledgeable, and the class size was only 4 people so we got a lot of personal attention (she said her class sizes vary from 4-20 depending on location). After the class, I was scoring around 85% on the practice exams (which pmstudy considers "well prepared").

I have several colleagues who took a similar course from https://4pmti.com with similar guarantees, and all passed on 1st or 2nd try, so I think there are plenty of good classes out there if you can afford them (mine was $1999, thankfully paid by my employer).

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Passed my 680 exam today. Got the 685 scheduled for next month with second shot. I pass that, I get a nice bump in pay. Feeling pretty decent.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

Not sure if this has been covered in this thread yet.

Are the 70-640, 642 and 646 really being retired?

According to this post they are still going to be active, just if you complete them, you will be an MCSA: Server 2008 instead of the MCITP variant. Potato potaaaaato.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/CertGeneral/thread/59cdd9a8-8d45-4079-9aa2-954c4b5d0194

If this is true, I may hack out the three 2008 R2 tests then upgrade the cert to 2012.

I just took the 2012 exam. The MS book is the only one out there for the 70-417 now, but it's actually readable and logical. It's as good as the Sybex books I used for 2k3 and ten times better than the 70-648 book to upgrade.

The one thing you want to know for 2012: so much of it is Hyper-V that if you use Virtualbox, you're gonna have to find another VM solution. Reason being you can't install the Hyper-V role on a 2012 server that doesn't have its processor exposed to the OS. There's nothing in Virtualbox that allows full CPU exposure - at least, nothing I could find in the Virtualbox forums. You may wanna plunk down for just a separate physical box to do the Hyper-V labs on, if you've got the dollars for it.

Definitely know your Hyper-V, and be prepared for a lot of stuff on Server 2012/Win 8 features that work well in Server 2012 environments, and at least understand basic Powershell cmdlet structure.

Jesus Stick
Dec 14, 2004

Bomb Hills, Not Countries

MJP posted:

I just took the 2012 exam. The MS book is the only one out there for the 70-417 now, but it's actually readable and logical. It's as good as the Sybex books I used for 2k3 and ten times better than the 70-648 book to upgrade.

The one thing you want to know for 2012: so much of it is Hyper-V that if you use Virtualbox, you're gonna have to find another VM solution. Reason being you can't install the Hyper-V role on a 2012 server that doesn't have its processor exposed to the OS. There's nothing in Virtualbox that allows full CPU exposure - at least, nothing I could find in the Virtualbox forums. You may wanna plunk down for just a separate physical box to do the Hyper-V labs on, if you've got the dollars for it.

Definitely know your Hyper-V, and be prepared for a lot of stuff on Server 2012/Win 8 features that work well in Server 2012 environments, and at least understand basic Powershell cmdlet structure.

I'm sitting for the 70-417 tomorrow and that seems to be what I've heard. Hyper-V doesn't really worry me at all, but I've got a separate machine here at home I've been playing on it with. Only thing I haven't played with is Clustering and Hyper-V Replicator since I only have the one box, but eh, I'm not worried. The MS Press book I think did a pretty good job, although I hate that none of the books have exercises to do at the end of the chapters anymore.

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream
I just passed the Comptia Project+ exam (832/900, 710 to pass). I used the following resources:

Everything you need to know is in here, if you can choke your way through it - CompTIA Project+ Study Guide Authorized Courseware: Exam PK0-003

Written in a much less dry style - IT Project Management: On Track from Start to Finish, Third Edition

Then I bought a month of CBT Nuggets project management training, which includes sample tests, and used those.

I probably overstudied a bit, but then again it's nice having some confidence when hitting the 'end exam' button at the end of the test.

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran
Passed my 70-414 on Monday to complete my MCSE:Server Infrastructure. I took the 70-417 upgrade route, and the 70-414 was definitely the toughest for me out of the 3 exams - there were plenty of questions I was pretty confident I'd got right but I scraped through with a mid 7xx/1000 score.

I used the MS Exam reference book for 70-413 and CBT nuggets for both 70-413 and 70-414, alongside my home lab and work environments.

Feeling like I want to line something else up to do next, but I think I'm going to wait until there's some actual study material available for the Private Cloud and Desktop Infrastructure exams.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

"[oMa posted:

Whackster" post="414521796"]
Passed my 70-414 on Monday to complete my MCSE:Server Infrastructure. I took the 70-417 upgrade route, and the 70-414 was definitely the toughest for me out of the 3 exams - there were plenty of questions I was pretty confident I'd got right but I scraped through with a mid 7xx/1000 score.

I used the MS Exam reference book for 70-413 and CBT nuggets for both 70-413 and 70-414, alongside my home lab and work environments.

Feeling like I want to line something else up to do next, but I think I'm going to wait until there's some actual study material available for the Private Cloud and Desktop Infrastructure exams.

How long did it take for you to study for the 414 and 413? I looked at the objectives and they seem like big jumps from the stuff I even have peripheral experience with from MCSA 2k3 and 2k8. They also seem so heavy into Hyper-V that it doesn't seem too worth it given that I haven't really seen many Hyper-V environments in use.

Either way I figure it'd be a stretch to get either before Second Shot expires, but if the MS Press book for 417 is indicative of the readability/usability of their 413/414, I may just go with what they have instead of Sybex or ExamPrep if they ever make 'em.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

MJP posted:

How long did it take for you to study for the 414 and 413? I looked at the objectives and they seem like big jumps from the stuff I even have peripheral experience with from MCSA 2k3 and 2k8. They also seem so heavy into Hyper-V that it doesn't seem too worth it given that I haven't really seen many Hyper-V environments in use.

Either way I figure it'd be a stretch to get either before Second Shot expires, but if the MS Press book for 417 is indicative of the readability/usability of their 413/414, I may just go with what they have instead of Sybex or ExamPrep if they ever make 'em.

I took a beta course on 70-413 and 70-414 offered by Microsoft, the course is now available to the general public. Along with those courses and home lab work it took me ~30days to study for each exam. I would recommend you know everything there is in terms of AD Federation Services, AD Rights Management and Certificate Services as well as what portions of the System Center suite do what. 70-413 and more so in 70-414 are very much pushing the 'cloud os' vision. The exams test you on the whole Microsoft solution stack, and how you can best design, implement and support the private cloud infrastructure and not just Windows Server 2012

Nebulis01 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 17, 2013

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009

thiazi posted:

I took and passed my PMP exam today!

As far as studying goes, I started by reading the PMBOK (pretty much cover-to-cover). It is awful and dry, but I do think I learned a good bit of the relevant content from it, so if you can stomach it, I'd personally say it is worth the effort. Just this studying got me into the mid-60% range on practice tests, which is supposedly about what you need to pass the exam.

I also took a 4-day exam prep boot camp last week from https://pmstudy.com. I thought the class was really helpful, but a caution for those who are considering it - they only teach you how to pass the test. The class is not a way to become a better project manager, but it focuses on the definitions, formulas, etc that you need to pass the test (including a lot of stuff that isn't in the PMBOK). They also have a good guarantee, where they pay for your 2nd and 3rd re-take of the exam if you don't pass on the first try (I did pass on the first try). My instructor was very knowledgeable, and the class size was only 4 people so we got a lot of personal attention (she said her class sizes vary from 4-20 depending on location). After the class, I was scoring around 85% on the practice exams (which pmstudy considers "well prepared").

I have several colleagues who took a similar course from https://4pmti.com with similar guarantees, and all passed on 1st or 2nd try, so I think there are plenty of good classes out there if you can afford them (mine was $1999, thankfully paid by my employer).

awesome man, congratulations. I'm going through the Head First PMP book right now in prep for the 4 day boot camp class I'm taking in June. Work is paying for me to do the whole process so I'm pretty motivated to get rolling through it. I'm not sure how much you can talk about this but from the practice exams I've taken so far just to see how they work I notice a lot of it is just multiple choice, is that how the test is laid out or is there some writing elements? I've never taken a test for any kind of certification before, just normal school tests (High School through College). Wanted to get an idea of what to expect.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Any recommendations for VCP practice exams? Somewhere non-shady and not a braindump, of course. I don't mind paying if it's good content.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

stubblyhead posted:

Any recommendations for VCP practice exams? Somewhere non-shady and not a braindump, of course. I don't mind paying if it's good content.

Trainsignal has some good ones, vmware elearning also provides you will some;
http://www.simonlong.co.uk/blog/vcp5-practice-exams/
http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrSurvey/assess.cfm?item=24908&refer=0&p=0&ui=www_cert

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

smokmnky posted:

awesome man, congratulations. I'm going through the Head First PMP book right now in prep for the 4 day boot camp class I'm taking in June. Work is paying for me to do the whole process so I'm pretty motivated to get rolling through it. I'm not sure how much you can talk about this but from the practice exams I've taken so far just to see how they work I notice a lot of it is just multiple choice, is that how the test is laid out or is there some writing elements? I've never taken a test for any kind of certification before, just normal school tests (High School through College). Wanted to get an idea of what to expect.

The format is 200 multiple choice questions, no writing. (http://www.pmi.org/Certification/Project-Management-Professional-PMP/PMP-Exam-Prep.aspx)

A word of warning (in case you weren't already aware) - they are switching the exam to cover PMBOK v5 starting at end of July, so my instructor warned there is going to be a crush of people taking the exam in June/July to get in under the wire (apparently the same thing happened a few years ago when the went from v3 to v4). All of that is to say that, if you haven't already, I'd apply to PMI now and get a testing date scheduled so you're not left scrambling to get an appointment.

Good luck!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Any recommendations for practice A+? Something that would help with the simulator parts of 801/2 would be perfect.

vvv - Didn't read the OP as thoroughly as I should have, apologies.

Relyssa fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 18, 2013

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Kaethela posted:

Any recommendations for practice A+? Something that would help with the simulator parts of 801/2 would be perfect.

Did you happen to read anything but the last page of this thread? This has to be the most common question and its been covered a few dozen times. Its even in the op.

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran

MJP posted:

How long did it take for you to study for the 414 and 413?
For each exam I probably did about 1-2 hours of studying course material per day over the course of a month, but in my day job I'm messing about with a bunch of Server 2012 boxes and System Center 2012 so I was getting plenty of hands on experience too.

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009

thiazi posted:

The format is 200 multiple choice questions, no writing. (http://www.pmi.org/Certification/Project-Management-Professional-PMP/PMP-Exam-Prep.aspx)

A word of warning (in case you weren't already aware) - they are switching the exam to cover PMBOK v5 starting at end of July, so my instructor warned there is going to be a crush of people taking the exam in June/July to get in under the wire (apparently the same thing happened a few years ago when the went from v3 to v4). All of that is to say that, if you haven't already, I'd apply to PMI now and get a testing date scheduled so you're not left scrambling to get an appointment.

Good luck!

ah didn't realize that about the v4 to v5. I've already applied to PMI and paid the money to join and received my Welcome email so I'm guessing I'm ok from that stand point right. Anyway thanks for the info and I'm definitely going to push to have everything finished by July, which was my plan anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Just passed my TSHOOT which makes me officially CCNP, wooooooo! Looking at my test history I took my last CCNP test almost a year ago in may, talk about cutting it close...

For some reason I was thinking the individual tests expired after one year not 3, yeah, nope.

Fatal fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 19, 2013