Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
omeg
Sep 3, 2012

That's what I call an accurate error message!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Thanks Microsoft, now I know what to do...

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Grawl posted:

Let me guess: If the icon on that line is a green checkmark it would say "Computer is a domain controller", and they didn't think that a red x next to "computer is a domain controller" would convey adequately that the computer failed this criterion.

To think that we use MS's style guide for our documentation.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
See the error? Can't be installed on a DC.

I think it's an affirmative test that the machine is NOT a DC. So the red X is a double negative - it's not not a DC, or, rather, it is a DC.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Makes perfect sense to me as well, it failed the check "Computer is not a domain controller"

Funny that it didn't check that right at the beginning before installing a bunch of .NET stuff though.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
No keyboard found.

Press F1 to continue.

That one will actually blow your mind if you think about it too hard. Ok, so I plugged in a keyboard, is the message still valid? No? THEN WHY IS IT THERE *head explodes*

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Grawl posted:

It beats their Office 365/AD sync tool and its misleading bullshit. I decided to run it on a clean Win7 machine.

1. It lists .NET, PowerShell, and joined-to-a-domain as the requirements.
2. Then the "readiness tool" evaluates your environment and gives you a day's worth of work making small modifications, making no complaints whatsoever about the machine itself unless you're missing .NET or PowerShell or whatever.
3. Then the installer runs, and everything goes fine.
4. Then the setup wizard says "gently caress you, go get Windows Server 2008."

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower
"Execute BlindHO!"

Awfully funny given the vendor, not so funny when you understand the BlindHO status.

"Highdog is starved" makes no sense though.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Gweenz posted:

No keyboard found.

Press F1 to continue.

That one will actually blow your mind if you think about it too hard. Ok, so I plugged in a keyboard, is the message still valid? No? THEN WHY IS IT THERE *head explodes*

Not really, if you think about it. The computer is waiting for you to plug in a keyboard and then test that it/the port is working with F1.

rand
Apr 26, 2003

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

That is some Zen poo poo right there.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

sanchez posted:

Makes perfect sense to me as well, it failed the check "Computer is not a domain controller"

Funny that it didn't check that right at the beginning before installing a bunch of .NET stuff though.

So you're the one writing error messages like this. Come the revolution you are going to be the first up against the wall.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
I don't have a screenshot but ran into one on a webpage internal to the company I work for. A user accessed the page and tried to search for someone by name, but instead of clicking the "Click Here to Search" button, hit Enter on the keyboard and got this message:

405 - HTTP verb used to access this page is not allowed.

My brain stopped working for a few seconds while I tried to process exactly what the gently caress that meant. The search button still worked fine when clicked, however. :psyduck:

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Ozz81 posted:

I don't have a screenshot but ran into one on a webpage internal to the company I work for. A user accessed the page and tried to search for someone by name, but instead of clicking the "Click Here to Search" button, hit Enter on the keyboard and got this message:

405 - HTTP verb used to access this page is not allowed.

My brain stopped working for a few seconds while I tried to process exactly what the gently caress that meant. The search button still worked fine when clicked, however. :psyduck:

In HTTP, "verbs" means the same thing as "methods". There are two different methods that are used for sending data to a server: "PUT" and "POST". Whoever coded the page is bad and somehow hosed it up, so pressing Enter uses one method and clicking Search uses the other one. It may also be differences between browsers causing the problem, but it's more than likely incompetence from your developer.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

SNOT CORN posted:

I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet

ROTT was the first shoot-em-up I ever played. Ah, the memories.

gold brick
Jun 19, 2001

no he isn't

:stare:

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
Windows told me it needed an additional 734PB to extract a zip file today :stonk:. My linux install had no problems with said zip file.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Sparse files, probably.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

dpbjinc posted:

In HTTP, "verbs" means the same thing as "methods". There are two different methods that are used for sending data to a server: "PUT" and "POST". Whoever coded the page is bad and somehow hosed it up, so pressing Enter uses one method and clicking Search uses the other one. It may also be differences between browsers causing the problem, but it's more than likely incompetence from your developer.

Most likely a dev issue, since everyone in our company uses IE 8 (some have other browsers but we highly advise against using them since some of our sites don't work right with them).

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
A ticket a friend got today:

Title: Exception thrown in destructor
Description: Should I be worried?

gently caress you, Quickbooks. That is not a user-friendly error message, and your KB article on the supposed cause is even more wallpunch-worthy.

quote:

This error usually occurs when Internet Explorer is open while using QuickBooks. To avoid this error you can use a different browser such as Mozilla Firefox, if you need to use the Internet while QuickBooks is open. Sometimes changing your default browser in Windows can resolve this problem.
:rolleye:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
More errors I understand that most people probably wouldn't because they should never have to!

That's an odd way of putting it, but that probably means the site is doing something in the background, like uploading a file. I get a similar error in Gmail all the time.

xov posted:

A ticket a friend got today:

Title: Exception thrown in destructor
Description: Should I be worried?

gently caress you, Quickbooks. That is not a user-friendly error message, and your KB article on the supposed cause is even more wallpunch-worthy.

:rolleye:

"Destructor" is programmer jargon. A destructor is what runs when a program is done with some object and needs to clean up. Probably what's happening is Quickbooks is trying to overwrite some temporary files for security, but the files are in use by Internet Explorer. Of course, that should not be happening. Quickbooks should be using its own temporary files and giving a meaningful warning if it can't delete something.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Choose your destructor.

The traveler has come.

Brayden
Jul 14, 2012

This happened when I opened Killing Floor once. This popped up instantly and then it crashed with some Steam API error.

Good to see decent progress being made on that achievement though!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Thanks, Thunderbird! Gonna need some extra time to go through them all, I guess.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Didn't know + is not a character. :v:
I think it only accepts alphanumeric characters...

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
Never mind, wrong thread.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
This thread makes me want to come up with some really incoherent, cryptic, and unhelpful error messages and incorporate them at work.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks Outlook!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bort
Mar 13, 2003

This appeared only once in my logs on a Cisco 6500 series switch:
Apr 2 19:09:33.705 CDT: %SYSTEM_CONTROLLER-3-ERROR: Error condition detected: TM_DATA_PARITY_ERROR
Apr 2 19:09:33.705 CDT: %SYSTEM_CONTROLLER-3-EXCESSIVE_RESET: System Controller is getting reset so frequently

Cisco Output Interpreter:
Recommended Action: If this message occured once, it is a Software parity error and then it was probably caused by some external radiation.

:sun: :tinfoil:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

bort posted:

This appeared only once in my logs on a Cisco 6500 series switch:
Apr 2 19:09:33.705 CDT: %SYSTEM_CONTROLLER-3-ERROR: Error condition detected: TM_DATA_PARITY_ERROR
Apr 2 19:09:33.705 CDT: %SYSTEM_CONTROLLER-3-EXCESSIVE_RESET: System Controller is getting reset so frequently

Cisco Output Interpreter:
Recommended Action: If this message occured once, it is a Software parity error and then it was probably caused by some external radiation.

:sun: :tinfoil:

Random cosmic rays are responsible for like 30-60% of all random bit flips in RAM. Regular radiation like gamma or beta can also cause this, so if your Cisco is wedged against a coolant tank of unknown provenance, you should probably check that.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

One of my colleagues was working on it shortly afterward. We've all accused him of having superpowers and demand that he take on the greater responsibility of fighting crime.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
Oh vCenter...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Assplant
Apr 21, 2007
I'm gonna smoke your face.
There's been a couple like it so far but, well, what the hell.

Zabbley
Apr 11, 2013
I'm not surprised at how many error messages say something along the lines of "Never should have gotten here".

I wish more programmers would tidy up their error handling instead of assuming that some outside side-effect could possibly cause the code to reach where it shouldn't. I bet that kind of mind-set would have programmers handle errors that should be handled but actually were not.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zabbley posted:

I'm not surprised at how many error messages say something along the lines of "Never should have gotten here".

I wish more programmers would tidy up their error handling instead of assuming that some outside side-effect could possibly cause the code to reach where it shouldn't. I bet that kind of mind-set would have programmers handle errors that should be handled but actually were not.

Like all things, you can make software as reliable or as brittle as you want; if you are willing to pay the costs. I was interviewing for a position at Lockheed a while ago, and the amount of code that made it to "production" was about 200-400 lines of C code per month per dev because of the insane amount of validation that goes into things like missile guidance systems. On the other hand, when prototyping where I'm willing to skip almost all error handling since to goal is just to see if there is any value, you could do that in ten minutes. Project Managers need to pick a happy compromise.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 20, 2013

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

:stare: Uhhh...poo poo...

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

H1KE posted:

:stare: Uhhh...poo poo...

Just go into task man and end task. If you can't just hold down the power button. Back away from that poo poo slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Tunga posted:

Thanks Outlook!

SalesLogix? That package and it's half-assed Outlook integration is quickly becoming the bane of my existence

• Locked thread