Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

BULBASAUR posted:

Sotar 20/20 question. How high do you run it for detail work (like base coating marine legs or shoulder pads). I've been trying to get the hang of it at around 5psi, but the thing ends up jamming after a few min and I have to clean it.

My hunch is it might be my thinner (99% alcohol) which evaporates really fast.

The buypainted fella sprays from 20-40psi when he is doing detail work. I thought that was way too high but for some reason it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

The buypainted fella sprays from 20-40psi when he is doing detail work. I thought that was way too high but for some reason it works.
Take it with a grain of salt. I had the same compressor and no way it's gonna achieve 40 psi.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
An LGS started running Wargaming nights but had no terrain built for it, so here's my first set of terrain I've built for them:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Daedleh posted:

An LGS started running Wargaming nights but had no terrain built for it, so here's my first set of terrain I've built for them:

That's great! How did you do the craters in the middle and that bunker-looking thing?

Also, sweet tank traps!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Thanks for all the advice. I'll switch to windex and shoot at a higher PSI. Maybe that will help.

My paint spiders at around 10psi if I'm trying to get close and not overspray something like the inside trim of a Chaos shoulder pad. I'll have to look at his video and see how he does it. I'm probably just an airbrush baby.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

BULBASAUR posted:

Thanks for all the advice. I'll switch to windex and shoot at a higher PSI. Maybe that will help.

My paint spiders at around 10psi if I'm trying to get close and not overspray something like the inside trim of a Chaos shoulder pad. I'll have to look at his video and see how he does it. I'm probably just an airbrush baby.

Remember you also can spray without pulling all the way back on the trigger. Try pulling pack just barely until you see some color.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Airbrush results are like a 4 variable equation: Paint Thickness, Distance from Model, Air pressure, how much you open up the needle.

If you want to lower your air pressure, you are going to need to thin the paint more. If you want to paint up closer with less over spray, lower the airpressure, but you might need to increase your paint thickness.

And so on, it is all about experience. I like to stay around 20 PSI and alter my paint, trigger pull, and distance. It is one less thing to worry about.

I do prime at about 30 PSI to save time.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm starting to have time again and I want to get my mold casting on, it's sort of been on hold for a while. I practiced with some plaster today after watching those great videos someone posted a little bit back, but I want to get some better material. Last I was talking about it, it sounded like Tufstone was the bee's knees, but man, I REALLY can't find a source for it that isn't plaster.com and isn't in California. Anyone know of a source in, say, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo, Erie, or even NYC?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Cyclomatic posted:

I'm getting ready to start in on a for serious run at painting up my Autumn forest themed Circle army (hopefully with some water effects for streams here or there).

The first step though is that I need to scout out the basing materials to use. I really want to go all in on the bases, so I'm interested in anything anyone might suggest for me to look at, or suppliers of basing related materials that I might not have seen. Or ideas in general.

I've looked at:

http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/
They've got some really nice Autumn dyed birchpod leaves, and some tree stumps.

http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/
They've got some nice etched brass foliage. They also appear to sell cork boulders by the tub, which I haven't found anyone else doing. They are EU based, so it will be a pain to have to get stuff from them.

http://www.sceneryexpress.com/default.asp
They have a bunch of Silflor stuff. They have a lot of flower basing options, and I'm thinking about trying to work the occasional bit of flowers into the bases, since making 'spring circle' with 'fields of wild flowers' as their basing was a close second theme wise.

http://sciborminiatures.com/en_,index.php
They've got a lot of cool stuff, but I'm not seeing anything that jumps out at me.

I used Gale Force Nine's autumn flock blend (http://www.flamesofwar.com/gf9online_store.aspx?CategoryID=13166) on my wood elves, and I liked the effect (lovely old picture incoming)

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

krushgroove posted:

That's great! How did you do the craters in the middle and that bunker-looking thing?

Also, sweet tank traps!

Cheers!

The craters were triangles of blue foam laid out in a circle, then torn up bits of sheet cork glued on top, fillered and then (unused!) cat litter for rubble.

The main shell of the bunker was just foamboard and some card for the metal strips:

Texture was done with watered down filler.

And the tank traps were very easy. They're just little cardboard seedling/compost pots that I found in a hardware shop. They were a little tall so I trimmed the height down.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I do like removable tops for buildings, it's got to be one of my next terrain projects.

I was asking about the tank traps because I made a video tutorial for them, posted earlier in the thread, those look great and using the compost pots is a great idea. They definitely look cleaner than mine, there's something to be said for terrain that's all made at once with the same color flocking and paint.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

krushgroove posted:

I do like removable tops for buildings, it's got to be one of my next terrain projects.

I was asking about the tank traps because I made a video tutorial for them, posted earlier in the thread, those look great and using the compost pots is a great idea. They definitely look cleaner than mine, there's something to be said for terrain that's all made at once with the same color flocking and paint.

I'm regretting making that roof having a relatively complex join. The buttresses didnt line up with the holes I'd cut out of the roof so I ended up having to make those slots quite large (you can see the gaps when the roof is on).

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

Daedleh posted:

custom made or purchased? it looks fantastic

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
Goblin tester model from The Hobbit. I got 36 of these little twerps, so I'm keeping it simple. Thoughts?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Darken the bandoleer and loin cloth to make them more distinct from the flesh tone.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Daedleh posted:

This kind of terrain makes me really nostalgic for when I started gaming - I love seeing old-school scratchbuilt terrain! That bunker is extra cool.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Can someone get me some really tight measurements on a typical 1" round GW base? I just need to know the overall height, down to .1mm. I've got some old square WotC bases and they're 4.3mm tall, I need to know if the GW ones are any taller but I don't have any on hand, believe it or not.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
These just arrived today from a trade :)

Anyone tried magnetizing the Chariots? The slaughterbeast isn't going to be too hard to magnetize by the looks of things.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Anyone know of a reliable place (I.e. not like the assholes from Maelstrom before they went down) that ships Vallejo paints in Europe? Sweden to be specific. I asked a local store in my hometown when I visited my parents and they had a few random paints left since there is apparently no real distributor for Vallejo products in Sweden.

I really want some for my new 15mm WW2 Germans. :smith:

Edit:

I found one place but they charge $9 a paint. (Excluding shipping) I would rather not buy from them since honestly, Swedish online stores are loving poo poo. They don't even know what Paypal is. Actually, never mind, as I am writing this I noticed that there isn't even a drat purchase button on their site. I rest my case.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 9, 2013

Raxmus
Jul 7, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Torabi posted:

Anyone know of a reliable place (I.e. not like the assholes from Maelstrom before they went down) that ships Vallejo paints in Europe? Sweden to be specific. I asked a local store in my hometown when I visited my parents and they had a few random paints left since there is apparently no real distributor for Vallejo products in Sweden.

Edit:

I found one place but they charge $9 a paint. (Excluding shipping) I would rather not buy from them since honestly, Swedish online stores are loving poo poo. They don't even know what Paypal is. Actually, never mind, as I am writing this I noticed that there isn't even a drat purchase button on their site. I rest my case.

I just weighed 10 17ml bottles of vallejo and they're 11oz, so I'd expect around a 1 lb package with shipping. USPS first class international for 1 lb package to Sweden is $16.75.

Miniature market uses USPS first class international for packages under 3 lbs and their 17ml bottles are $2.45 each so that's probably your best bet.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/customer-service#answer1

quote:

We use the United States Postal Service (usps.com) for all of our international shipping. The two options we offer is International First Class Mail (available for orders under 3 lbs) and Priority International Mail (available on all international orders).

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Working progress - back plates, pouch preparation masses, a front plate.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Torabi posted:

Edit:

https://darksphere.co.uk is probably the best bet.

Otherwise there's https://waylandgames.co.uk but they've become really loving slow, and I'm starting to get a maelstrom vibe from them.

Edit: Oh otherwise there's our local FoW shop here in Denmark you might want to try :denmark::hf::sweden:. They have a pretty nice selection and ship quite fast: https://shop.fow.dk (although I don't know how expensive international shipping is).

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 9, 2013

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

TheBlobThing posted:

https://darksphere.co.uk is probably the best bet.

Otherwise there's https://waylandgames.co.uk but they've become really loving slow, and I'm starting to get a maelstrom vibe from them.

Edit: Oh otherwise there's our local FoW shop here in Denmark you might want to try :denmark::hf::sweden:. They have a pretty nice selection and ship quite fast: https://shop.fow.dk (although I don't know how expensive international shipping is).

Bought plenty from Darksphere. I even looked at their site searching for vallejo. Turns out I didn't scroll down far enough. :downs:

I will however, remember that danish site too. Thanks.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Question about highlighting:

I finally decided to take a swing at some Space Marines. Ultramarines, to be exact (I've only painted Orks til now).

I airbrushed them head-to-toe with Vallejo Game Color Ultramarine Blue, then washed them with Citadel Drakenhof Nightshade. And then went back with a brush and more Ultramarine Blue, painting the armor, but leaving the shadows of course. You can see steps 2 and 3 here:

Now I'd like to highlight the armor, but I'm not sure how to brighten the ultramarine blue without...uh, "whitening" it, I guess. I mean, I don't want pale ultramarine blue, I want a brighter ultramarine blue. Which means I'm thinking ultramarine blue + white ain't gonna cut it.

If I just need to highlight with an entirely new paint, I'm good with that. And if I'm way off base and actually do want to highlight with pale ultramarine blue, tell me.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
You do want a paler blue, you just need to add in the white in very small increments and only use very small amounts of it.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If you want to mix in white just make sure it's not a pure white, unless you like pastels. P3 Menoth White Highlight is great for this. A lighter blue can work too. I don't know the new color names but you want something a shade or two lighter. The new Ice Blue equivalent might work, for example, or Space Wolves Grey which really is a pale blue.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Torabi posted:

Edit:

http://www.figurspel.se/kategori/figurspel/farg_och_penslar/vallejo
This is the site I order most of my plastic crack from. Located in Umeå, so if you're near there you can even pick it up in person and save 50 SEK or whatever in shipping.
:sweden::hf::sweden:

E: They charge 24 SEK per paint, so it's a fair bit more reasonable than nine bucks (jesus!)

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 10, 2013

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Add lots of water (3:1) and matte medium to your blue + white mixture so you can get better blends. You'll have to do it more times, but you'll get a smoother highlight.

If you don't want to glaze you could do 2 brush blending instead (less steps). Or you could buy a big fat drybrush and drybrush highlight your whole model (even fewer steps). Or you could drown your model in a black oil wash and rub off all the raised parts (fewest steps).

e: Or you can be me and do all of them because you hate yourself! :downs:

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 10, 2013

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
I have just magnetised my first bit of a mini ever! I feel that I am no longer a boy but a man(child)!

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Groetgaffel posted:

http://www.figurspel.se/kategori/figurspel/farg_och_penslar/vallejo
This is the site I order most of my plastic crack from. Located in Umeå, so if you're near there you can even pick it up in person and save 50 SEK or whatever in shipping.
:sweden::hf::sweden:

E: They charge 24 SEK per paint, so it's a fair bit more reasonable than nine bucks (jesus!)

Thanks. This is perfect. I'm in Stockholm but the shipping isn't too bad. They have all the paints on the box of my mans it seems! :buddy:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

I have just magnetised my first bit of a mini ever! I feel that I am no longer a boy but a man(child)!

Feels good doesn't it? :)

l3v3l4outbr3ak
Apr 15, 2006

Are you ready to die?
So I just ordered the Sotar 2020 on the recommendations of the thread. Been browsing compressors and eventually asked my brother in law who does some larger scale airbrush work (motorcycle fuel tanks, guitars, etc.) and he recommended this for a decent price and use: http://www.amazon.com/Senco-PC1010-1-Horsepower-1-Gallon-Compressor/dp/B0000AQK78/ref=pd_sim_hi_5

Thoughts on this beast? If it's a go, I'll probably get the combo with the nail gun, as the wife and I just bought a house and there is some work that needs doing.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Its going to be loud as hell (compared to hobby compressors), thats a shop compressor.

l3v3l4outbr3ak
Apr 15, 2006

Are you ready to die?

LumberingTroll posted:

Its going to be loud as hell (compared to hobby compressors), thats a shop compressor.

Not too worried about sound, the basement of our new place is mine to deck out as a nerd haven, so worst case I make a loud room louder here and there.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
well if you are willing to put up with that level of annoyance, make sure you get a much more precise regulator, that one most likely goes in 10psi increments. You want at least 5psi.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have a shop compressor.

Word of warning, when mine kicks on I jump like 4 inches. It is that loud and startling. I have had paint leap out of the cup.

So, take that into account. I think California Air Tools makes quieter comotessors with tank capacity.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I was going to post that that one is going to be hella loud, but it says it's quieter than a pancake compressor, so who knows? I have a Husky 2.5 gallon compressor in my attic, I bought echo-absorbing foam to go around it and have a couple of old pieces of thick MDF board on either side and it still sometimes makes me jump a bit. I'm planning to build a wooden box around it and line the inside with foam, but for now it's quiet enough and it's hardly noticeable on the ground floor when it's running.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
My kill team's fire warrior squad done.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Those guys look gorgeous. I wasn't really sold on the scheme but you have really done an amazing job on implementation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

l3v3l4outbr3ak posted:

Not too worried about sound, the basement of our new place is mine to deck out as a nerd haven, so worst case I make a loud room louder here and there.
The sound won't be contained to the basement though. I have an older house (1920's i.e. very sturdy) and you can hear the shop compressor in my basement all through the house. Be advised.

TastyAvocado posted:

My kill team's fire warrior squad done.

Those are really sharp - good job!

• Locked thread