Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coulrophobia
Oct 11, 2012
I have a very, very long listening list thanks to this thread. Thanks again guys!

Tollymain posted:

So, is there a separate thread for prog/symphonic/folk metal type stuff or does it go in here too? Don't want to be posting in the wrong thread.

I'll be your prog/symphonic/folk friend :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Weaponized Cum posted:

The latest Ghost album is garbage. Sounded like I was listening to circus music at some points. What a loving joke.

It is Ghost. What were expecting?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Killsion posted:

It is Ghost. What were expecting?

Something with decent riffs, catchy vocal hooks, their first album part two!

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Weaponized Cum posted:

Something with decent riffs, catchy vocal hooks, their first album part two!

Then just listen to this I guess(I didn't really like the first Ghost album but this sounds exactly the same + has the same singer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4juhw4soJ-c

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

That...doesn't sound anything like the first Ghost record to me. That sounds closer to the Strokes with the Ghost dude on vocals than it does to anything on Opus Eponymous. Not a bad song though.

This band baffles me because it seems like everybody hears totally different things listening to the same song. People say they they sound like a Mercyful Fate ripoff, but I just don't hear that comparison. I guess if you were just looking at pictures of the two bands without hearing their music? Rolling Stone said Monstrance Clock sounded like something "between Mastodon and Metallica." What? Why does anybody classify Ghost as a metal band to begin with? Because they sing about Satan?

I like their first album a lot, but the way people describe their music is utterly baffling to me in a "is everyone taking crazy pills?" kind of way.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 8, 2013

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I like the new album by the band Ghost.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
I don't know if Ghost is meant to be taken seriously at all.
I really like their songs but all the 'Satan is the greatest one' just makes me smile/laugh and it just seems to be a really obvious joke/troll that some people take a little too seriously.
The music itself seems to me like some hazier and "satanic" Blue Öyster Cult or other "mysterious" 70's/80's rock. I look forward to the new album as it seems they are going for more faux-weird-mystic style instead of the straightforward rock like the first album was.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
The whole ANCIIENTS album is streaming on the Season of Mist bandcamp: http://seasonofmistcatalogue.bandcamp.com/album/heart-of-oak

I've witnessed the development in their sound and their live show over the last couple years, and they are the real deal. In fact, I'd say they're the best metal band, and probably the best band in Vancouver, period. I really hope they do well on the Death To All tour, and I hope some of you have the chance to catch them live.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Kush posted:

I don't know if Ghost is meant to be taken seriously at all.
I really like their songs but all the 'Satan is the greatest one' just makes me smile/laugh and it just seems to be a really obvious joke/troll that some people take a little too seriously.
So kinda like, a retro version of Powerwolf?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

nerve posted:

Same here.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I really don't think that they are supposed to be taken seriously. Ever other line is about Satan, the band are all in hoods and the singer is dressed as a zombie pope.

People really seem to get upset when other people like something they don't.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

henpod posted:

I really don't think that they are supposed to be taken seriously. Ever other line is about Satan, the band are all in hoods and the singer is dressed as a zombie pope.

If you take any metal (or even proto-metal if you're talking about this band Ghost) seriously you're really missing the point. Metal is ridiculous, stupid and a hell of a lot of fun when done right!

I really like the new Ghost. It's different, but a big step forward with regards to sound and influences. I love the more prominent keyboards and the over-the-top ridiculouslness of it rubs me the right way. Highlights are definitely Zombie Queen, Year Zero and Monstrance Clock.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Radio Paranoia posted:

If you take any metal (or even proto-metal if you're talking about this band Ghost) seriously you're really missing the point. Metal is ridiculous, stupid and a hell of a lot of fun when done right!

I really like the new Ghost. It's different, but a big step forward with regards to sound and influences. I love the more prominent keyboards and the over-the-top ridiculouslness of it rubs me the right way. Highlights are definitely Zombie Queen, Year Zero and Monstrance Clock.

I am so down with Ghost's aesthetic and I think they pull it off perfectly. I can't wait to give the new one a listen, and I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it. I think detractors will remain convinced everything after the demo sucks, but it looks like Ghost are more than just a one trick pony.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Just read an interview with Geezer about a new studio album from Sabbath: http://www.themetalforge.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2044

Obviously going to miss Bill Ward, but still really curious about this record. And they're taking pre-orders, released in June!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

nerve posted:

I don't think I've seen a more polarizing sophomore release from a band since Faith No More's Angel Dust. Probably my favorite album - evah!!!!

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Except that Angel Dust was original, and good.

Ghost is just 70s rock with more satan namedrops. I've heard everything ghost does over my entire life on classic rock radio.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Except that Introduce Yourself was Faith No More's second album.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

henpod posted:

...and have like absolutely nothing interesting to say, yeah, that kinda grates. I don't even dislike Ghost but man it's tiresome hearing about them page after page after page. Is Devin Townsend secretly in this band and I don't know about it?

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

watt par posted:

Except that Introduce Yourself was Faith No More's second album.

I refuse to recognize a Pattonless FNM.

I'm basically comparing the success of The Real Thing and Opus Eponymous in relation to their followup albums and how much they managed to alienate a large portion of their audience.

Personally, I don't recognize Infessumam as a metal album at all. It's an attempt to produce a pop album in the great glory of Satan's name. In this, I think they succeeded.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
It's pretty drat bad

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
pop rock is a perfect description

can we talk about metal now

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
The dude from Disturbed is doing guest vocals on a song for Megadeth's new album. Confirmed Album of the Decade.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
WHADDYA MEAN I DON'T PAY MY BILLS

OHH WAH AH AH AH

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
If you haven't heard it yet and want to see what the hubbub is all about, Pitchfork is streaming Infestissumam:

http://pitchfork.com/advance/67-infestissumam/

/Ghostchat

The new ANCIIENTS album is pretty sweet, reminds me a bit of Opeth (:can:) with more prog and less growls, although there are some in there.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

You mean that wasn't an April Fool's joke?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I refuse to recognize a Pattonless FNM.

I'm basically comparing the success of The Real Thing and Opus Eponymous in relation to their followup albums and how much they managed to alienate a large portion of their audience.

Well that's just stupid. Those first two albums are pretty good, and Chuck Moseley's not without his charms. Besides it's not like Mike Patton wrote any of the music on The Real Thing.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I'm loving the new Ghost. It's ridiculous as poo poo, but I think that's part of its charm.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
All this Ghost talk is hilarious.

So this is happening in September. I wonder if it would be worth it to get tickets...

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Maiden and Megadeth in Nashville on the 9th, hell yes! Tickets are on sale Saturday. I'm there.

Edit: I'm also jealous of that Cali show. I'd love to see overkill and testament.

Demon Of The Fall fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 9, 2013

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

NarkyBark posted:

WHADDYA MEAN I DON'T PAY MY BILLS

OHH WAH AH AH AH

I remember a long time ago Dave asked who people wanted to guest on the album and I suggested Geoff Tate. If only they had went with him instead...

Feast of Burden
Oct 9, 2008

WARNING: may cause indigestion and severe heartburn
The new full-length release from The Meads of Asphodel is out there now. Seriously loving awesome, as always. Why this band never ceases to amaze me is beyond all words. Still one of the most unique acts I've ever listened to, silly antics and all.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You guys probably don't give a poo poo but The Black Dahlia Murder has a new song out. I loved Nocturnal a shitload but everything after that hasn't really held up in comparison, probably because their lineup keeps changing so much in between albums. I like some of the riffs in the new song but I haven't listened to it enough to pass proper judgement on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXPhu1YvaHk

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Cheapsteaks posted:

I remember a long time ago Dave asked who people wanted to guest on the album and I suggested Geoff Tate. If only they had went with him instead...

Have you heard what Tate sounds like these days?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 22, 2016

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

het posted:

Is Devin Townsend secretly in this band and I don't know about it?

Have you heard Devin Townsend? He's so dreamy...:allears:

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Do you guys have any recommendations for stuff like Mirrorthrone? I haven't heard much symphonic black metal stuff but there's also not much I like as much as Carriers of Dust and, to a lesser extent, Gangrene. I'm also not as big a fan of Cochet's other projects. Can't put it specifically, so I'll just toss it out there.

NP: Mirrorthrone - "4. Ils Brandiront Leurs Idoles" - [(2006) Carriers of Dust]

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Francostein posted:

You guys probably don't give a poo poo but The Black Dahlia Murder has a new song out. I loved Nocturnal a shitload but everything after that hasn't really held up in comparison, probably because their lineup keeps changing so much in between albums. I like some of the riffs in the new song but I haven't listened to it enough to pass proper judgement on it.

I've seen them live 3 times, and Ritual was the album that really got me listening to them. I'll probably just buy their new album in the blind.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Metal Thread #3247819 - Post Most Ghost

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Francostein posted:

If I wanted lovely Dissection riffs I'd listen to Reinkaos.

Meads of Asphodel rule. New album rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

Hulk Krogan posted:

Have you heard what Tate sounds like these days?

I would just want to see what would happen if you got those two in a room together.

Probably pain.