Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Going to Empire State South for my birthday next week. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
H&F is opening a burger stand at Turner Field this year.

"To guarantee getting one of these famous burgers the Atlanta Braves are offering 24 exclusive tickets to every game, that includes an Outfield seat (sections 148L, 149R or 151L) near the H&F Burger stand and a fast pass to access the front of the line – all for $32. "

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2013/03/25/whats-new-at-turner-field-in-2013/

Not too sure how I feel about this. They're kind of keeping the exclusivity and limited supply aspect in play with limiting the number sold, but I'm still kind of meh on the whole thing.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

Omerta posted:

I've gone there three times already. IT OWNS IT OWNS IT OWNS. I can't recommend it enough. The cocktails were very reasonable and very good. I had the bourbon sour; the foam from the egg white was the right consistency and I liked the added chili powder to balance out the sweet/sour flavor in a normal sour.

The Daal was solid and the pork vindaloo was straight up absurd. The meat was perfectly seasoned -- not too spicy with the perfect amount of apple cider vinegar. I can't recommend it enough and I've been telling so many of my friends about it that I deserve a commission. It's been packed both times I've been, so I hope business is going well.

No joke, I ate there yesterday and I'm going again later this week with some friends.

Glad to hear it! I agree, the food is stellar. I'll let the owners know what you said. The reception in Atlanta has blown away their expectations, with tons of local celebs, chefs, etc all eating here. It's very busy, but they have awesome staff to take care of everyone, and they're killing it. It's one of those restaurants that's cheap enough to eat at all the time, yet has enough quality selection to try different things at each meal. If anyone has a spare minute, do a Yelp review, the owners LOVE reading them, and appreciate any kind words.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Again, Chai Pani is great. I really love it and have been very pleased in my half-dozen visits. The only issue is the parking. I wanted to go eat lunch there this Saturday, and arrived at about 11:40 hoping to beat the lunch rush by a bit so I could get a parking space, but every space was full. It was sort of a miserable day, so I didn't feel like parking elsewhere and walking over. I will be eating dinner there Thursday, and look forward to trying more of the menu.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I am headed there on Thursday as well with a friend and her kids. I really have no excuse for not going there since I can walk there.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

venutolo posted:

Again, Chai Pani is great. I really love it and have been very pleased in my half-dozen visits. The only issue is the parking. I wanted to go eat lunch there this Saturday, and arrived at about 11:40 hoping to beat the lunch rush by a bit so I could get a parking space, but every space was full. It was sort of a miserable day, so I didn't feel like parking elsewhere and walking over. I will be eating dinner there Thursday, and look forward to trying more of the menu.

There's always tons of parking just down the road, where the houses are, turn right at that light. Just don't park in the residence reserved area, but the rest is fair game, and usually where I park. The Batdorf coffee shop across the street is killer too.

deep13
Jan 2, 2013

Safety Dance posted:

Java Jive on Ponce or Rise N' Dine in Emory village. Rarely does either one have more than a 15 minute wait (30 if you show up around 12:30 when the church crowd hits). Both I would describe as being more authentic and simultaneously less hip than West Egg and its ilk.
+1 for Java Jive. Great coffee; probably the best biscuits in the city of Atlanta. Very consistent - aside from the weekly special (singular), I don't think they've updated their menu since I started going there ~3 years ago.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Landrobot posted:

There's always tons of parking just down the road, where the houses are, turn right at that light. Just don't park in the residence reserved area, but the rest is fair game, and usually where I park. The Batdorf coffee shop across the street is killer too.

Which light are we talking about and from what direction?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

deep13 posted:

+1 for Java Jive. Very consistent - aside from the weekly special (singular), I don't think they've updated their menu since I started going there ~3 years ago.
Jave Jive has been my old standby for this reason. Super consistent. I'll buy their beans occasionally; not sure where they get them or where they roast them but I enjoy them. I never witnessed someone guffaw so hard before I performed a faux pas there- last winter while getting on my winter coat I knocked down some of their paper streamers. I swore I heard a record scratch. One bearded geezer found this uproarious and let the entire place know that streamer had been hanging "since the beginning."

On venutolo's suggestion we tried the General Muir on Sunday. Very good hash, pretty good latkes. Must go back for the corned beef, I saw it pass by and almost regretted my order.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

venutolo posted:

Which light are we talking about and from what direction?

Northern Ave, or Montgomery (google map it). Just don't park under the red residence only area, but the rest is a-okay. Even at peak, there's tons of available parking, albeit a short walk. I don't even bother trying their parking lot anymore. The parking in downtown Asheville was 10x worse, so finding a free spot in Decatur is nothing for us.

edit: AJC just wrote up a nice article. Check out the food picture on the left, it'll give you an idea of what they make.
http://www.ajc.com/news/entertainment/dining/first-look-chai-pani-decatur/nW4Br/

Landrobot fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 27, 2013

kontona
May 3, 2003

checked out chai pani after hearing you guys rave about it and was not disappointed. had the bombay chili cheese fries and the sloppy jai's.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I have it on good authority that Paper Plane is really good. They just opened this weekend. I hope to get there sometime soon.

Joy Cafe was recommended to a friend of mine by one of his friends who he claims knows food well. He said they have a Reuben to rival Star Provisions', so I went for lunch on Saturday. While I wouldn't say it rivals Star Provisions' Reuben, it certainly was a solid Reuben that did not disappoint and I was kind of impressed by this little cafe in a small strip mall on Pharr Road in Buckhead. The chef (or at least I assume it was the chef since he came kitchen and was wearing chef garb) came out and talked to me briefly and from our brief conversation it was clear he cared about food. I love both when a chef comes to talk to customers and when it is clear that the restaurant cares about good food. Anyone been to Joy Cafe and have any opinions to share?

I happened to be driving by Lee's Bakery on BuHi and decided to stop on in. I've never thought much of their banh mi, but they keep appearing on lists like this one: Here are 12 of Atlanta's Most Iconic Sandwiches. I hadn't been to Lee's since September 2010 (when I was on a mission to eat all the banh mi on BuHi inside 285, and I wasn't impressed then), but I thought maybe things had changed, or I had missed something.

Anyway, I still find their banh mi bland and think that theirs is the weakest banh mi along that stretch of road. I seriously cannot wrap my head around anyone finding Lee's to have the best, or even good banh mi (at least relative to other banh mi, since all banh mi is by definition good). I certainly know food enjoyment is greatly subjective, but I just cannot fathom how anyone could have a preference to Lee's banh mi over the other places nearby.

If anyone here does prefer Lee's banh mi to Quoc Huong, Pho Viet, Viet Tofu, Pho Bac, etc, I'd really like to hear why that is. I promise not to judge you too harshly.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 1, 2013

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

I'm pretty sure Lee's bakes the bread for most other places (Quoc Huong included), so maybe that's a reason it always gets mentioned. I've had it and think its fine, but Quoc Huong has always been my favorite.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

jooky posted:

I'm pretty sure Lee's bakes the bread for most other places (Quoc Huong included), so maybe that's a reason it always gets mentioned. I've had it and think its fine, but Quoc Huong has always been my favorite.

Yeah, they provide bread for a lot of other Vietnamese places, who then make better sandwiches with that bread! :argh:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

I happened to be driving by Lee's Bakery on BuHi and decided to stop on in. I've never thought much of their banh mi, but they keep appearing on lists like this one: Here are 12 of Atlanta's Most Iconic Sandwiches. I hadn't been to Lee's since September 2010 (when I was on a mission to eat all the banh mi on BuHi inside 285, and I wasn't impressed then), but I thought maybe things had changed, or I had missed something.

Anyway, I still find their banh mi bland and think that theirs is the weakest banh mi along that stretch of road. I seriously cannot wrap my head around anyone finding Lee's to have the best, or even good banh mi (at least relative to other banh mi, since all banh mi is by definition good). I certainly know food enjoyment is greatly subjective, but I just cannot fathom how anyone could have a preference to Lee's banh mi over the other places nearby.

If anyone here does prefer Lee's banh mi to Quoc Huong, Pho Viet, Viet Tofu, Pho Bac, etc, I'd really like to hear why that is. I promise not to judge you too harshly.

No, I really agree with you. I think Lee's is ok, but merely ok. What I *do* love lee's for though, is the half soup half sandwich combo option. I almost always want pho, but not a giant loving bowl of it - and I almost always want banh mi, but not two of them with nothing else. I end up going to lee's a lot because I know I can't get that anywhere else.

I think viet tofu and quoc huong take best of for me as far as banh mi - viet tofu has some better options vegetarian wise (an egg one I think?), and I sort of prefer their mixed combo one - but quoc huong is one of those places you can never really go wrong. it's just delicious all the time.

silloh
Sep 5, 2008
I don't think the bread used at Quoc Huong is baked at Lee's. I haven't been there in a while, but the baguettes they use seem to be more elongated than the ones at Lee's.

Also, I think the typical, authentic banh mi items may be superior at Quoc Huong. However, I go to Lee's exclusively for the grilled pork banh mi, which I love.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
god, yeah burger is really obnoxiously expensive, and I always forget until I'm signing the "check" or register receipt or whatever.

for two people, had two burgers, a kale salad, and two sweet teas - no fries or extra sides or anything - for $32.5+$6tip=$38.5. and we had to wait in line like always, and there were no tables except two neglected ones completely covered in crud and dishes that took forever to get cleared, and the burgers took 20-30 minutes to get out of the kitchen. at 2pm.

I mean, I like to be a bit more critical than normal on the internet because it's fun, but really, ugh. I feel like grindhouse and farm burger are just ever so marginally less expensive somehow, and it makes all the difference in the world for me. well, and I like their burgers better.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I really don't care for Yeah Burger's burgers at all. I'd rather go to Five Guys than Yeah Burger. And I completely agree that it isn't worth what you pay.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

venutolo posted:

I really don't care for Yeah Burger's burgers at all. I'd rather go to Five Guys than Yeah Burger. And I completely agree that it isn't worth what you pay.
Agreed. I've been once, to the VaHi location, and was completely unimpressed.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Never been to Yeah Burger, but the several times I have gone to the Decatur Farm Burger I have been disappointed. The one in Buckhead was great though.

The burgers were cooked well done instead of medium, and the fries were limp and greasy. That may have changed in the last few months, but I get my burger fix from the Brick Store now.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I went to Chai Pani yesterday with a couple of people who lived in India for years doing archaeological field work. I had the fish curry thali, they had some uddapam. Good reviews, I thoroughly enjoyed my thali was didn't have enough room to finish. They really liked it an praised the authenticity of it although they didn't like the prices because they would pay like 2 dollars for one on the street. :P

The only low point for anyone was that they thought something was off about the Limca soda.

a+++ would eat again

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

We went to Chai Pani on Saturday night. I think it's a very good addition to that area. They were out of a few things so we couldn't try anything with paneer or the behl, but our takeaway was that for main Indian dishes we still prefer Saravana Bhavan or Zyka (cheaper / less of a decorated "event"). We got out for around $55. We'll go again more than 50 minutes to closing on a Saturday night so they'll have more treats in stock. Incomplete attempt!

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
We hit Chain Pani on Saturday about 4pm or so. The food was simply amazing, with the Okra Fries being beyond glorious.

Our only real complaint was the service, but I honestly think thats because we got tucked away in a corner, and kinda forgotten in the beginning. Once they came over and we ordered, things sped up quite nicely.

I'm totally going back, regardless of the hour wait for food. That joint was PACKED due to the awesome (finally) weather and it being Decatur.

Totally a keeper.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

We hit Chai Pani on Saturday around 1 or so. We also found it fantastic, and the waitress with the excerpt from the Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear on her arm is just a pleasure to work with. The only thing we noted (and we noted the same thing last time), is that the dining room is an awfully loud, echoy space. Some fabric treatments or sound-dampening panels would really do wonders to bring down the ambient cacophony without changing the atmosphere of the space.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Safety Dance posted:

We hit Chai Pani on Saturday around 1 or so. We also found it fantastic, and the waitress with the excerpt from the Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear on her arm is just a pleasure to work with. The only thing we noted (and we noted the same thing last time), is that the dining room is an awfully loud, echoy space. Some fabric treatments or sound-dampening panels would really do wonders to bring down the ambient cacophony without changing the atmosphere of the space.

I haven't been to Chai Pani, but this. A thousand times this.

If it's a cheaper place I don't care as much, but if it's like a GoOutToDinner place that is packed constantly, and hugely echoy, and I look up and there aren't baffles hanging from the ceiling I just wanna facepalm. Wisteria actually has (had?) this problem - I don't know if it's changed in the last couple years since I went, but serious echo in there. Abattoir was also horrible for a long while, I think they sort of fixed their dining room though...

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Wow, everyone came out to try Chai Pani! Awesome! I had a small part in getting them here to Atlanta, so I feel very happy with the warm welcome everyone here has given them. I'm so glad you goons love it!

If anyone is interested, I could arrange a goon dinner meet / reserved table there? I could get the head chef, my friend, to come out and give a small speech about the foods possibly, along with a special selection of nearly everything on the menu. I would also be able to pay for a decent chunk of the dinner/drinks, since I have food credit there ;)

Mindphlux, the food price points are less than Wisteria or other 'dinner' places by a long shot. For under $20 a person, you will literally get stuffed. Or usually $14 is about what I spend on a meal + drinks. You can also spend about $10 and still get a full meal too. Once they open up the patio area, the sound should be lessened a bit. The levels are no where near Wisteria, Rathbuns, etc.

Also, Saravana Bhavan is gone unfortunately. It's some other place now, who knows how good it is. I've recently made buddies with the guy that used to be the general manager from a couple years back.

kontona
May 3, 2003

Landrobot posted:

Wow, everyone came out to try Chai Pani! Awesome! I had a small part in getting them here to Atlanta, so I feel very happy with the warm welcome everyone here has given them. I'm so glad you goons love it!

If anyone is interested, I could arrange a goon dinner meet / reserved table there? I could get the head chef, my friend, to come out and give a small speech about the foods possibly, along with a special selection of nearly everything on the menu. I would also be able to pay for a decent chunk of the dinner/drinks, since I have food credit there ;)

i'd totally be down for this.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I'd definitely be down.
We had a lime rickey there that took me back to childhood. At age 3 I used to wander out to a raspberry vine and deplete the harvest singlehandedly.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I'd be interested. I'd especially love it if the chef would educate us a bit about the food. I'd love to know more about what regions the various dishes come from, how the items may be prepared differently in different regions, what (if any) modifications to the dishes needed to be made due to what you can and can't source here or tweaks to appeal to an American audience. Basically I probably know less about Indian food than I do about any other cuisine I enjoy and would really appreciate some enlightenment.

Anyway, I've to Chai Pani a number of times and have really enjoyed it. I've had almost all the menu (probably need one or two more visits to have tried everything on the regular menu), and I love it. I absolutely adore the bhel puri and sev potato dahi puri. I could eat disgusting amounts of them.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Yeah, I'd be willing to make the drive out to Atlanta to go to that. I want to try the place anyway, but I don't get out that way very often, living in Winder.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Plus yet another (probably +1) for a goon gathering at Chai Pani.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
I haven't been yet and I've been meaning to go, so I'd be down for this. Assuming I'm free whenever it is.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I have only gotten the take out from there, but I loved it. I am walking distance, so count me in.

Tetris Crowley
Aug 17, 2007
who wants waffles!?
Yes please

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Cool, glad so many are interested! I will try to get a table in about 2-3 weeks, if that works for everyone? It'd be best to have it mid-week, since the place gets absolutely slammed on the weekends - meaning I won't be able to get the head chef out or anything on the weekend, but it's possible. PM me or post here if you can't, any days or times that work best. I'm thinking a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday at around 8:30pm - and depending who's working what shift. There'll be a little white card on the table that says, "reserved for the internet"

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Count me in as well, I should be moved in by then.

Edit: Any day works for me.

Beef Hardcheese fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 10, 2013

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'll go if it's on a thursday

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I could probably make it if it's 8:30 during the week, since I work late and then have to drive back into town. I've been meaning to try the place ever since you started posting about it, so this will be a good excuse.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

I love indian food and I have no friends! Two birds, baby, two birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

As an Athenian, I sometimes have to go to Atlanta for various purposes. What are some places I should be looking out for. I know of the obvious fine dining places but I'm talking about maybe lesser known places where the price is less than 25 per person. What would you guys recommend as "must try" places?