Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

LoG posted:

These current threads don't have poo poo on season 1. People were posting .jpeg spoilers and then you had people like Bambi screaming at anyone who said a word that even started with the letter b.

:allears: I had forgotten about Bambi. I hated that fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Dead Man Posting posted:

Just a reminder that although TVIVers are hilariously dumb, spergy, and overall easily startled, we still shouldn't mess with their VIEWING EXPERIENCE.

Every single GoT thread spergs like crazy. This one over GRRM and anything show related being awful, the spoiler thread over people posting spoilers in the show thread (which half the time are likely posts by show only people) and the show thread, over everything. It's great.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Just think for a moment what TVIV is doing. They are adamantly refusing to read the official source of information for the topic they're obsessed about.

That's like a doctor refusing to read medical journals, opting instead to get new information from those "Local mom discovers 3 simple tricks to so-and-so, doctors hate her!" banner ads.

Yes, watching a TV show is exactly like surgery.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
I can't wait for Ramsay to show up on the show so that the Sherlocks in the babby thread can start theorizing that Jon and he must be related, because they are both named Snow.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Joramun posted:

I can't wait for Ramsay to show up on the show so that the Sherlocks in the babby thread can start theorizing that Jon and he must be related, because they are both named Snow.

He's actually Jon's father hence R+L=J

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Wall is made out of the dead brothers of Jon and Ramsey Snow.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

El Hefe posted:

He's actually Jon's father hence R+L=J

:psypop: It all makes sense.

Fiendish_Ghoul
Jul 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 163 days!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Can we either buy this guy a fake-spoiler avatar, or make "lemoncakes Sansa poisons Joffrey" the top google result?

I just googled "lemon cakes Olenna poisons sansa" a bunch, have at it.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I've had avatars and titles turned off for months. You assholes could have warned me I am an apparently self-proclaimed rape apologist. :colbert:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That's part of the fun, rape apologizer. Why do you think I've been so hostile to you in the Canada thread? :v:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

That's a loving spoiler.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

SpaceMost posted:

I've had avatars and titles turned off for months. You assholes could have warned me I am an apparently self-proclaimed rape apologist. :colbert:

Jeez, brag much?

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

SpaceMost posted:

How about a trigger warning next time, shitlord?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Dead Man Posting posted:

Just a reminder that although TVIVers are hilariously dumb, spergy, and overall easily startled, we still shouldn't mess with their VIEWING EXPERIENCE.

Bingo.

I passively mentioned lemoncakes and the thread collapsed into them being terrified of recipes spoiling them.

If you so much as fart near that thread they'll claim your goon aroma is a spoiler.

Just stay far the gently caress away from them unless you wanna spring for a new account.

rypakal posted:

Yes, watching a TV show is exactly like surgery.

How do I metaphor? :(

(also, not all doctors are surgeons :smug: )

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 9, 2013

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Can they really blame you for just wanting to watch the glory of A Game of Thrones without spoilers :colbert:

fake edit: gently caress the baby thread.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That's right! Our own resident (:v:) WILDCARD, Dr. Kylaer, isn't a surgeon at all. He just fucks people up with morphine all day long.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

That's right! Our own resident (:v:) WILDCARD, Dr. Kylaer, isn't a surgeon at all. He just fucks people up with morphine all day long.

It's called milk of the poppy, you swine. :colbert:
:goonsay:
:awesome:

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I thought he just hosed small, helpless animals up with his car all day.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

VDay posted:

You know what's more annoying to a book reader than the occasional minor spoiler? Having people constantly come in here and tell us how it's inevitable that we'll get spoiled and how we should just stop reading this thread and just go read a bunch of books that we have no interest in reading.

This line of thought is completely alien to me.
How can people be so heavily invested in a television show adapted from a novel that's widely accepted as being far superior and were well acclaimed before the adaptation yet have no interest whatsoever in the source material? It's not like the books are difficult to read or have insanely long chapters so you have to put it down half way through one often. If it were something like Lord of the Rings that is as much a study in a non existent language as it is a novel I could understand.

I currently have a friend who is trying to finish A Clash of Kings (She's just at the Blackwater) and get to the Red Wedding (She knows it's a massive event but not what it actually is) before the show on June the second. That seems incredibly doable even at a slow pace to me. You could probably do it at a chapter a day pace, right?

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
This line was the best

VDay posted:

the entirety of the Something Awful forums are based around the idea that people can have productive, mature conversations with each other

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Contra Calculus posted:

I thought he just hosed small, helpless animals up with his car all day.

Please don't discuss his masturbatory habits in public without his consent. Kink-shaming is wrong.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Aurain posted:

This line of thought is completely alien to me.
How can people be so heavily invested in a television show adapted from a novel that's widely accepted as being far superior and were well acclaimed before the adaptation yet have no interest whatsoever in the source material? It's not like the books are difficult to read or have insanely long chapters so you have to put it down half way through one often. If it were something like Lord of the Rings that is as much a study in a non existent language as it is a novel I could understand.

Because some people like different things? There's no chance in hell my wife is ever going to read the books. I'm still not even sure why she watches the show. But gently caress yeah did I enjoy her shock when they sliced of Ned's head. (Granted, she's not so in love with the show that she feels the need to debate plot points endlessly on an internet thread, so I'm not really comparing her to TVIV).

I mean, reading the source material for something you love is perfectly reasonable to me, and it would be alien for me not to do that. But I'm perfectly fine with people who don't feel the same.

Also, it's kind of hard to recommend when it currently ends in watery poo poo.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
To get to the Red Wedding you'd read about 2.2 chapters a day, starting from AGoT prologue. About 30 minutes a day. Which is a laughably short time to read books. Especially considering time spent flipping your poo poo because you're too stupid to read anything but terrible internet posts.

The only answer is TVIV goons are laughably stupid and lazy.

I can't even imagine how furious a TVIV goon must get when watching "The Bible". They left out like 85% of the story, and you know someone mentioned that.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 9, 2013

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
No joke, I read these books while in high school reading literally about a chapter a day because I also had a poo poo-load of textbooks and assigned English books to read each day.

I finished the first three books in less than a year and I still had plenty of time to hang out with friends, play dumb videogames, study for school, and masturbate. What are these guys doing that takes so much time out of their day that they can't be assed to read incredibly easy-to-read, critically acclaimed books?

I mean I could understand if they were parents and/or incredibly busy people. But if they have time to read a ginormous thread about a TV series based off a book series, then why is it hard for them to read the source material?

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Watching the show first, and then reading the books afterwords, is objectively the best way to enjoy the ASOIAF universe.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Contra Calculus posted:

No joke, I read these books while in high school reading literally about a chapter a day because I also had a poo poo-load of textbooks and assigned English books to read each day.

You did work in high school?

I just played a looooooooot of Everquest. And I still found the time to read. :smug:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Holy Calamity! posted:

Watching the show first, and then reading the books afterwords, is objectively the best way to enjoy the ASOIAF universe.

Not doing either is preferable. :colbert:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Aurain posted:

a novel that's widely accepted as being far superior and were well acclaimed before the adaptation yet have no interest whatsoever

Well there's your error; a lot of people think the books are worse and thus won't read 'em.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Which poster here did that wonderful reading of the Myrrish Swamp scene?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Currently in the show thread, it seems like talking about eating semen based recipes is acceptable, but talking about lemon cakes is not.
They're an odd bunch.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Contra Calculus posted:

I finished the first three books in less than a year and I still had plenty of time to hang out with friends, play dumb videogames, study for school, and masturbate. What are these guys doing that takes so much time out of their day that they can't be assed to read incredibly easy-to-read, critically acclaimed books?

I mean I could understand if they were parents and/or incredibly busy people. But if they have time to read a ginormous thread about a TV series based off a book series, then why is it hard for them to read the source material?

I don't see him saying he doesn't have time or that it's hard. He's saying he doesn't want to.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

IRQ posted:

You did work in high school?

I just played a looooooooot of Everquest. And I still found the time to read. :smug:

All the cool kids were playing World of Warcraft all day when I was in HS.

I use the word "cool" very loosely.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Contra Calculus posted:

What are these guys doing that takes so much time out of their day that they can't be assed to read incredibly easy-to-read, critically acclaimed books?
Theorize about the dumb television adaptation of said books on the internet for literally hours on end. Their theories are invariably completely misguided and inconsequential at that, and when you combine that with the actually correct answers being just one wiki page away I dare you to find a more pointless activity in the world. (Protecting said :dings:s from getting spoiled would be a good candidate.)

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Aurain posted:

Currently in the show thread, it seems like talking about eating semen based recipes is acceptable, but talking about lemon cakes is not.
They're an odd bunch.

Semen is totally a spoiler.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Joramun posted:

Theorize about the dumb television adaptation of said books on the internet for literally hours on end. Their theories are invariably completely misguided and inconsequential at that, and when you combine that with the actually correct answers being just one wiki page away I dare you to find a more pointless activity in the world. (Protecting said :dings:s from getting spoiled would be a good candidate.)

Talking about thing you like, with other people who like thing, is weird and hosed up. Agreed.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Joramun posted:

There's the other problem, where you like the show, you read the source material, the source material turns into utter poo poo, and the TV show goes so far off the rails that reading the source material was meaningless anyway. Oh wait, that was The Walking Dead.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Which poster here did that wonderful reading of the Myrrish Swamp scene?

I think it was nuncle jimbo.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I mean, fine if you want to talk with people about stuff you like. But if you're going to talk for 400 pages...

...I just realized I am in a thread that spans nearly 600 pages the majority of which are about hating the GURM. :shepface:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Holy Calamity! posted:

Talking about thing you like, with other people who like thing, is weird and hosed up. Agreed.
I'm glad we're on the same page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Okay, I don't have a defense for my argument. I am posting in the bad thread.

Uuuuuuuh.... WILD CARDS!