Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Basically, yeah green peppers feel like a waste unless they're being stuffed; seriously try the red, yellow and orange ones out, they can be so deliciously fruity.

My favorite bell pepper use was some salad I had in Toronto from some asian-type place (we were 19 year old tourists, overindulging in our just-barely-qualifying-to-drink-hood). I remember it being red and yellow peppers and mango, all cut into thin, shoestringy strips and tossed in some heavenly vinaigrette dressing. I've tried to recreate it but just can't get it quite right.

Taste the rainbow snipe

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Maybe I get lousy red and yellow peppers, I haven't noticed much of a difference (although I kind of like the bitterness of the green bell).

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
I do love red bell peppers, but I really dig the grassy flavor of green bell peppers, especially with stuff like hummus, and they cook up just fine for most stuff.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Green bells are great sautéed with some red onion.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

Chemmy posted:

Do different colored bell peppers taste different? I always buy green ones because they're $1.99/lb instead of $6.99/lb and I don't care what color my peppers are.

I use green ones if I'm making trinity, but other than that, the red/yellow/orange ones are usually preferred if you're showcasing bell peppers.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
If you like green bell peppers, switch to poblanos instead. Then you get some spice with your pepper flavor.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Wiggles, please tell me that your wedding shirt is white, cream or blue and not brown, tan, taupe, green, khaki or olive.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Chemmy posted:

Maybe I get lousy red and yellow peppers, I haven't noticed much of a difference (although I kind of like the bitterness of the green bell).

Aren't red bell peppers just green bell peppers that has ripened to the final stage?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Happy Hat posted:

Aren't red bell peppers just green bell peppers that has ripened to the final stage?

Ergo they taste a fair bit less like bitter lawn clippings.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Happy Hat posted:

This is my understanding, yes.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Happy Hat posted:

I find green ones normally bigger than red, so they are probably a different variety to reds.
Greens are probably a variety that grow big fast (but would be a type that ripens slowly).
Red's would be a type that ripens quickly. Yellow and orange would also be completely different varieties, they would be types where that's their ripe colour.
There's about 32000 chilli varieties, wouldn't surprise me if there's 5 different bell pepper varieties.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 10, 2013

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

therattle posted:

Wiggles, please tell me that your wedding shirt is white, cream or blue and not brown, tan, taupe, green, khaki or olive.

Of course I'm wearing a white shirt.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Fo3 posted:

I find green ones normally bigger than red, so they are probably a different variety to reds.
Greens are probably a variety that grow big fast (but would be a type that ripens slowly).
Red's would be a type that ripens quickly. Yellow and orange would also be completely different varieties, they would be types where that's their ripe colour.
There's about 32000 chilli varieties, wouldn't surprise me if there's 5 different bell pepper varieties.

Bell peppers are the hookers of the chili world. They'll cross-pollinate with /anything/. So if you want your bell peppers to be actually mild, and not catch any heat, you have to isolate them from any other peppers, because they'll water down the hot peppers (and unevenly, at that), while spicing up the sweet peppers.

There are many different varietals of bell peppers. There are the long thin ones, the short round ones, the weird shaped alien looking ones and all other kinds. The same pepper will show up in either red or green, depending on how long it's been allowed to sit on the plant. My brother grows thai bird peppers. Depending on when he picks them, they will be either red, orange, or green. Frequently, you can see many different colours on the same plant.

You can especially see this in the boxes of "mixed peppers" that a restaurant's produce wholesaler will sell for really cheap. They'll be green with orange spots, red with green spots, orange with red spots, and so on, along with some full on red, orange, and green peppers. For some reason, people get upset when the bell peppers aren't uniformly one colour, even though the weirdly coloured ones taste great. Of late, I've found myself favouring the multi-coloured ones, because they seem to taste rather nice (although they are randomly misshapen). I'm not bothered how something looks as much as how it tastes, so I'm happy to get the ugly looking produce with flavour.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

dino. posted:

Bell peppers are the hookers of the chili world. They'll cross-pollinate with /anything/.

Annuums are the hookers of the chilli world for sure.
I had a baby birdseye plant I bought once, wasn't supposed to be a baby birdseye though. Useless, full of seeds, yes it's hot though.
I did nothing to it, now have longer thai size pods from it's offspring, size and heat of a cayenne, but I've never bought a cayenne plant or seed, also had an albino plant, ie ripe white pods on it. Edit: also had an offspring that had purple tint in it's flowers, pods went from green to brown to red. Probably a cross of the crosses and maybe some hungarian black annuum thrown in.
I bought some takanotsume seeds and I don't think they were ever that either, that's the risk you take when buying any annuum seeds.
Heaps of nearby chinense and jalapeno appear all growing wrong and no heat too in them, so I know what you mean.

Capsicum annuum is a hooker, Capsicum chinense is a bit more stable, got plenty of choc habs, choc trinidad scorps, bih jolokias, peruvian browns, yellow 7 pot, red 7 pot etc. I get my best results with Capsicum baccatum though - aji pineapple, aji lemon, aji amarillo.

I have seen colours change on pods more times to count, but the bell peppers at the shops seem very colour stable, so I think they are different varieties. Why would a farmer go "yep, picking these early so I can sell them for half price", rather than "I'm going to sit on the porch for 4 weeks and do nothing, then double my money"? And even then, not force ripen them like tomatoes that are also picked green? I think they are different varieties grown for each purpose, so flavour and size might be different and the green type might not be even economical to ripen to red.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 10, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Reminds me of that damned TAM mild jalapeno. Texas ruins everything.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

OK, go ahead with my blessing - I know you were waiting for it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

I actually like them as they are about the perfect spice level if I want to glom them on nachos or whatever. It is super annoying that there is no way to tell the difference, I much prefer cooking with the actual spicy ones and the only way one can tell what a particular store is selling (not that I ever do this) is giving one a poke with the tip of a knife, then licking it.

I used to believe the proper ones were smaller and darker green and the mild ones were larger and lighter but that doesn't always seem to be the case.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

With ruffles?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

Honestly, it's not even how mild they are. I can get past that - I just either use more, leave in more seeds, or buy a hotter pepper. But just the way they look...it's like an Americanized jalapeno. Squat and fat. Nothing like a beautiful traditional jalapeno.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

They used to grow bell peppers in a field near my house in Ventura. All three colors concurrently, so clearly three varieties.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Is that the bigger jalapeno with no heat?
If so, I'm having trouble on growing a jalapeno with any sort of heat as well.

Also if I didn't say it before, you can grow anything from seed and it will be what it is, cross pollination doesn't occur during fruiting, it only occurs maybe if you plant the seed from those fruit.
So true bell peppers will grow properly right next to a hot chilli. Just don't bother planting any seeds you save from either plant later on.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Re: Bell varieties. There are a shitton, not just 5. And they come in crazy colors apart from orange, red, yellow, and green. There are purples, mottled ones, maroon ones, brown ones... There are sweet ones, bitter ones, big ones, small ones, stout ones, longer ones, thin skinned, thick skinned, thick fleshed, etc. Yay heirloom varieties!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

GrAviTy84 posted:

Re: Bell varieties. There are a shitton, not just 5. And they come in crazy colors apart from orange, red, yellow, and green. There are purples, mottled ones, maroon ones, brown ones... There are sweet ones, bitter ones, big ones, small ones, stout ones, longer ones, thin skinned, thick skinned, thick fleshed, etc. Yay heirloom varieties!

Of course there's more than 5, that was just a joke after I said there was something like 32000 hot chilli varieties, yet people thought there's only one bell pepper and green is just an unripened red.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Pretty much most chiles that are red/green start out green and then turn red as they ripen. That's not to say that growers don't prefer one variety for green and another for red. They might?

I like the purple variety, that's a popular one at our local farmers market for some reason. Good flavor, fresh and bright like a green but not bitter.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Hey gravi, what was that self healing cutting board you like?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

dino. posted:

Wood or sanituff. I still prefer wood because :3:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

With ruffles?

I like your style.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Re: wedding attire. My parents got married in 1976. When choosing my dad's attire, it was very important to mom that it was something stylish yet classic, so their wedding photos would look timeless and not dated.

They chose a white tux with black piping and a white ruffled shirt.

Just saying.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

My suit could be circa 1910, so I don't have to worry about any of that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So who has a chocolatier other than Norman Love they can recommend? Looking for an upscale box of chocolates.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Chemmy posted:

Do different colored bell peppers taste different? I always buy green ones because they're $1.99/lb instead of $6.99/lb and I don't care what color my peppers are.

That's an insane price difference.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Yeah, I see 1.99 vs 2.99-3.99 for non-sale prices generally.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

At the co op I work at, it's not uncommon to see local organic peppers (bell, hot, whichever) at 6.99/lb, or even if they're non-local, it seems like the cost of organic peppers gets to be astronomical. In season, maybe they drop to 4.99/lb, but I'm not sure how much of a markup the store is throwing on there. Then again, this is georgia and we get a load of diseases on those, so I imagine they're a bit of a risk for loss.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Red bell peppers run ~$1.48/ea here, with greens being 3/$1. I hardly use greens for anything, maybe salsa, or bulking up a poblano soup without adding more heat. Meanwhile I would gladly eat reds raw, but so expensive =/

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
Is there a way to fine-tune adjust a refrigerator's temperature? I have a cubby fridge I bought for cheese caving, and it's got a dial that cranks from 0-5, with 0 being off and 5 being the coldest. The warmest setting I can register is 40 degrees, which is too chilly to ideally age the hard, non-mold-ripened cheeses I want to start on. I'm trying to find a way to get it to 55 degrees.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

dino. posted:

These are the ones I kept trying to convince you to buy!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Allahu Snackbar posted:

Is there a way to fine-tune adjust a refrigerator's temperature? I have a cubby fridge I bought for cheese caving, and it's got a dial that cranks from 0-5, with 0 being off and 5 being the coldest. The warmest setting I can register is 40 degrees, which is too chilly to ideally age the hard, non-mold-ripened cheeses I want to start on. I'm trying to find a way to get it to 55 degrees.

You can replace the thermostat, check beer making supply websites.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

My suit could be circa 1910, so I don't have to worry about any of that.

i hurrrrd that :golfclap:

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Allahu Snackbar posted:

http://www.amazon.com/All-purpose-Temperature-Controller-STC-1000-sensor/dp/B00862G3TQ

Edit: If you don't want to do rewiring of your fridge's power cord, then you can get things like these: http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/615910/UT-200-Room-Thermostat

What it does is switch off your fridge when it reaches a low enough temperature, and switches it back on when it's too warm. You can set it to switch the fridge off at 40 fahrenheit, and tell it to wait until 42 degrees before switching back on. I don't know how low the hysteresis(the narrowest degree gap) is on these things but it would be advisable to have a 2 degree gap to avoid the fridge switching on and off too often as this will destroy the compressor on the fridge. Use a fridge you don't mind getting broken too, as it wears out alot faster.

BlueGrot fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The GF made it home safe despite working a few blocks from the bombings. In celebration we've opened the bottle of hard cider that Wiggles sent me for GWSSS. It's a LOT harder then I was expecting. Good show, old chap! :monocle: