Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

TheDavies posted:

Well, given that the most damning clue comes to us from MonoBear's hand, it's not impossible that he's being framed really well and that we're all on the quick road to group suicide. Or that something else is going on.

...have you MET Monobear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

This trial is so over I really thought the update was going to have the execution in it.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
The most interesting part of the update to me was the anti-litter sirens. Doesn't this mean that anyone willing to take their life into their hands is effectively safe from murder? Drop an item, the sirens go off, and presumably Monomi shows up to berate you. While the punishment is in question with Monobear there now, it seems worth it if you're outside and someone is trying to stab you to death. I'd start carrying around an empty can or two, or maybe a snack wrapper, just in case.

LambdaDelta
Feb 22, 2012
Someone will have to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Avril had a big following in Japan, so it isn't that weird that she would come up as a pop culture reference.

At least, I seem to remember asking "whatever happened to Avril Lavigne?" and finding out that this was the answer. But my memory could be off.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
I hope Nanami is the murderer next chapter, just to gently caress with her fans.

I think I'll stop reading the thread and stick to oren's updates after each murder, so I can get that experience of figuring out the mystery as I play the game. He made some good points.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

LambdaDelta posted:

Someone will have to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Avril had a big following in Japan, so it isn't that weird that she would come up as a pop culture reference.

At least, I seem to remember asking "whatever happened to Avril Lavigne?" and finding out that this was the answer. But my memory could be off.

Well, she did the soundtrack of the latest One Piece movie, if I recall correctly, so she's been active there within the last year at least.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

TheDavies posted:

Well, given that the most damning clue comes to us from MonoBear's hand, it's not impossible that he's being framed really well and that we're all on the quick road to group suicide. Or that something else is going on.
Some of y'all will grasp at any straw possible, won't you?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Some of y'all will grasp at any straw possible, won't you?
Anything based on the evidence presented is clearly too obvious.

spd12
Nov 3, 2012
Actually, the fact that Monobear up and decided to help drat Hanamura by eating the delicious meat on a bone to reveal its skewer actually casts some serious suspicion on his purported neutrality. Considering Monobear's comments of wondering what sorts of punishments they'll all get to see, I wonder if he is going to intervene on behalf of the innocent students once he's pretty sure they've got the culprit's back up against a wall.

That or I guess the way Hanamura was freaking out (and/or despairing) was too hilarious to them and just wanted to keep it going? Either way, I think it's an odd character decision on Monobear's part to ultimately work against a legitimate culprit mid-trial.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

spd12 posted:

Actually, the fact that Monobear up and decided to help drat Hanamura by eating the delicious meat on a bone to reveal its skewer actually casts some serious suspicion on his purported neutrality. Considering Monobear's comments of wondering what sorts of punishments they'll all get to see, I wonder if he is going to intervene on behalf of the innocent students once he's pretty sure they've got the culprit's back up against a wall.
They were going to dig inside the meat. It doesn't affect the neutrality to do it for them when they were going to do it anyway.

You really can't drat someone who's already damned.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Honestly by this point I trust the writers enough that I'm willing to entertain the possibility of a complete group wipe and (somehow) restart being part of the plot. They've pulled everything else off so far.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Indecisive posted:

This trial is so over I really thought the update was going to have the execution in it.

This right here. I honestly thought he had just left it in the Videos and not mentioned it.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This was the true highlight of the update

You're all overlooking the biggest mystery of all: how can a puppet eat? But then you might as well answer how there's giant mechs guarding various areas. I'm gonna go with "anime" as my answer.

All the focus on meat and skewers has me thinking the execution is going to involve a good old fashioned Looney Toons style spit roasting... But that's not very haute cuisine, is it?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Indecisive posted:

We still haven't done Climax Interference, which I assume is what Chiaki and Hinata mean by "putting everything together". So the trial should end next update (or two if Oren wants to tease us like the cliffhanging guy he is).

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza
Cutting it off right at the climax inference is too cruel, Oren. :gonk:

I get the sentiment about having this as a long, drawn-out thing rather than a relatively fast-paced experience like the designers intended. I might try abstaining from thread speculation once the next chapter gets rolling... but will probably do so anyway. I dunno, I really enjoy hammering out everything and furiously examining theories, even if it gives everything away a little sooner. Given the slow pace of this format, I'd probably have enough time to work out 99% of the case anyhow. It's really just an unfortunate consequence of the way it's presented.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
He clearly needs to wait a whole month between updates, but have the entire trial as one big update. :unsmigghh:

But in all seriousness, Climax Inference next update! I can't wait to see what DR2 does with this considering how much it's improved everything else from DR1.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I think it probably doesn't need to do much different except to have the full panels visible instead of the tiny circles of action. They'd all have to be the same size so that's not a giveaway, though.

Noumena
Mar 18, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This is amazing and you're amazing.

orenronen and fedule, thank you again for such an incredible job. This and the DR1 LP have made me such a fan of this series. What an awesome breakdown from our pervy cook! I'm on pins and needles waiting for the next update.

Everybody enjoy some more Monobear gifs! I whipped these up from the DR1 anime trailer.

Sporkaganza
Feb 19, 2013

I'm bakayuya tomgami

legoman727 posted:

He clearly needs to wait a whole month between updates, but have the entire trial as one big update. :unsmigghh:

I would actually almost prefer this.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Anoia posted:

All the focus on meat and skewers has me thinking the execution is going to involve a good old fashioned Looney Toons style spit roasting... But that's not very haute cuisine, is it?

I say Hanamura ends up fried; maybe as a McNugget (or similar, to avoid litigation) or chicken leg. Mind you, that might be because I just had chicken and rice for breakfast :v:

Sporkaganza posted:

I would actually almost prefer this.

Same here, for serious; I don't mind waiting a bit between updates if it means we get meatier updates. I think it'd cut down on posting chaff as well.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

lotus circle posted:

We still haven't done Climax Interference, which I assume is what Chiaki and Hinata mean by "putting everything together". So the trial should end next update (or two if Oren wants to tease us like the cliffhanging guy he is).

At first i thought it was oren, maybe he can confirm, but I don't think it's his update schedule (well it is that a little but it's because there is so much to do when not just LPing but translating) as much as it is the massiveness of this trial.

Honestly it felt like there was as much dialogue here as there was leading up to the murder.
I may have to sit out on the thread for a bit too because it certainly is a lot less cool when there are 10 pages with enough time to mull over every single blink a character makes, leading the the solution to the trial being figured out quite early.

Just looking at the characters I would have cleanly seen him as the last one to kill someone besides the princess.

Edit: I'm not entirely opposed to less updates with more content but that doesn't make much of a case for peoples speculation unfortunately, even worse are those who "speculate" (know while pretending they dont'), the solution is to just avoid reading the speculation.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 10, 2013

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
If someone wants to read the trial in one sitting, they can just wait until the trial is over. :raise:

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Yeah, even if there are some minor perils like this trick not quite working, I don't really feel like I'm losing out on too much due to the LP format. I really, really like reading others' speculations and indulging in speculation, which is the main reason I've posted in this thread so loving much. You certainly lose some fun psychological tricks that depend on the player not being able to review absolutely everything, but then trying to solve the whodunnit with a bunch of other people is it's own kind of fun that you don't get when playing alone. Obviously some of the speculation is going to be stupid or wrongheaded and I totally get that there's a ton of reasons people don't want to read it, but I'd certainly miss it if it were gone.

And a slower update schedule would solve exactly nothing; I'll echo what Shieldhill just said. You can only fit so much content into a single post anyways.

e: typo

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 10, 2013

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Yeah, even if there are some minor perils like this trick not quite working, I don't really feel like I'm losing out on too much due to the LP format. I really, really like reading others' speculations and indulging in speculation, which is the main reason I've posted in this thread so loving much. You certainly lose some fun psychological tricks that depend on the player not being able to review absolutely everything, but then trying to solve the whodunnit with a bunch of other people is it's own kind of fun that you don't get when playing alone. Obviously some of the speculation is going to be stupid or wrongheaded and I totally that there's a ton of reasons people don't want to read it, but I'd certainly miss it if it were gone.

And a slower update schedule would solve exactly nothing; I'll echo what Shieldhill just said. You can only fit so much content into a single post anyways.

It's basically like having the class trial amongst the forum members (and I mean that in an interactive sense, not like any kind of weird roleplay poo poo). It's been mentioned before, but it's really remarkable seeing how similar the characters' process of solving the case is to our own. Granted, we do have the advantage of being able to meticulously dissect every minute detail of the case, but for the most part it's just putting the pieces together. It took us at least a few updates to arrive at "Hanamura with the skewer in the crawlspace", and details like Hanamura not being there during Tsumiki's fall come to us as personal "holy poo poo!!" moments when we do look back at the archives.

What I will say is we should give folks more leeway for not keeping up with the prevailing theory if they're trying to piece information together on their own time. Granted, nobody should act like loving Einstein when they do rediscover things, and theories like that "anime period" monstrosity should just be purged immediately, but if somebody suggests something that makes logical sense but was disproven twenty pages ago, I think that warrants a polite reminder rather than "WOW YOU loving IDIOT WE ALREADY PROVED THAT THEORY IS WRONG!!!"

It hasn't been too bad, but there have been at least a few instances of uncalled for hostility towards some fairly reasonable speculation, just because it wasn't "up-to-date".

taniada
Feb 19, 2013

alcharagia posted:

I hope he stays attached to Hinata's hip for the entire game, personally, because what I most want out of this game is more of his wacky antics. They're "FANTASTIC!"

Same. He's twisted, but I think he makes things pretty interesting. And I wouldn't put it past the game to have him make it all the way to the end without killing or being killed.

At first I thought maybe he was deluded and seeing himself as Good Guy for bringing the SHSLs together to solve the mystery, but after seeing him play with Hanamura like a cat plays with a mouse, it really does look more like he's deliberately trying to spread despair by using hope. I'm still wondering if his motives, whatever they truly are, are his own or if he's working with/connected to Monobear (and whatever is controlling Monobear this time around, if anything)

Seeing as this all seems like a big game to him, I can definitely see him continue to play devil's advocate with every single argument that comes up in trials. I wouldn't be too surprised if he took a liking to hiding evidence or messing with crime scenes, or setting up more opportunities tempting the other students to kill -- I'm still not entirely sure if he truly meant to kill Togami in the first place, or was just tempting Hanamura into acting.

Even if he doesn't directly cause havoc on the island, I still can see him pulling strings to cause tension between the students. Or maybe he'll just end up following Hinata around to mess with his head. either way, I imagine he'll still continue his hope/despair thing during the trials.

I can't wait to see his free time events. I think it'll be an interesting (and pretty creepy) dynamic having him around, though I don't know how much of a pain in the rear end it would be for the player to have to put up with for the rest of the game, haha. In fact, given that his Good Luck trait seems to actually have tangible effects, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he makes it to the end (assuming that living until the end is a good outcome for him, anyway -- from what we've seen so far, it seems like he wouldn't actually mind dying, but isn't actively suicidal, either).

taniada fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 10, 2013

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!
I kinda wish the game would get to the why instead of dwelling on the how so much. I'll admit there have been some interesting wrinkles like the culprit's exact location, the use of lights and the location of the weapon. The fact that the skewer was actually fashioned into a weapon means this is hell of premeditated. The way he did it seems like it was to stop Nagito from committing his planned murder, but the way Hanamura keeps looking towards him for guidance seems to go against that idea.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

CaptainFish posted:

I kinda wish the game would get to the why instead of dwelling on the how so much. I'll admit there have been some interesting wrinkles like the culprit's exact location, the use of lights and the location of the weapon. The fact that the skewer was actually fashioned into a weapon means this is hell of premeditated. The way he did it seems like it was to stop Nagito from committing his planned murder, but the way Hanamura keeps looking towards him for guidance seems to go against that idea.

Pretty sure the why comes after the murder walkthrough and the vote. The killer's not going to confess their motivation until it's all over (at least that's how it was in DR1).

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

CaptainFish posted:

The "why" has never been a huge factor in the previous game though, so I'm not sure what you're expecting. The "why" is always the last thing explained and it's usually very obvious and not requiring a lot of thought. I'm sure we'll find out what it is, but there's no need to debate it. Dangan Ronpa is a mystery styled game that skips the "whydunnit" and always looks closer at the setup of the murder than the actual motivations.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

lotus circle posted:

The "why" has never been a huge factor in the previous game though, so I'm not sure what you're expecting. The "why" is always the last thing explained and it's usually very obvious and not requiring a lot of thought. I'm sure we'll find out what it is, but there's no need to debate it. Dangan Ronpa is a mystery styled game that skips the "whydunnit" and always looks closer at the setup of the murder than the actual motivations.

My counter argument to this is Mondo and Sakura. And somewhat Junko, although that ties in more to the entire game than a specific case.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I get that it ruins the surprise having this drawn out and everyone getting weeks to pick apart all the evidence, whereas the game player wouldn't have any of that time, and would probably just rush through things, and be somewhat surprised to realize Hanamura's the culprit. But I would argue the experience we're getting instead is equally entertaining, because all this speculation is a hell of a lot of fun, and I've personally enjoyed thinking about the case and imagining how all the evidence will be used. It's inevitable in this format, especially with the massive popularity of this LP, that people would take this time between updates to figure out the murder. Why rue it?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Oraculum Animi posted:

My counter argument to this is Mondo and Sakura. And somewhat Junko, although that ties in more to the entire game than a specific case.
Yes and guess what? All their motives were revealed after the case ended. Both by Monobear no less, who was acting as an exposition machine in those sequences. Junko as well became nothing but an exposition machine after we found out she was the mastermind. When the game narrates the "whydunit" then it's safe to assume that the actual game portion of solving the case doesn't care about why the culprit did it. Only how they did.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

This needs a sassy edit to make her head and finger sway back and forth

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Jumping on the Nanami bandwagon.
Please oh please let her survive the game. :ohdear:

Kringlorr
Oct 8, 2012

Why are you doing that?

'Nuh uh' is her new 'I disagree'.

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
I need to read the manga. If its 100% canon to the game then holy poo poo that's really unfortunate For poor Leon

Dejablue fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 10, 2013

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
haha, yessss

"NOT IN MY HOUSE"

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
Looks like big mama Nanami is putting Nagito back in his place.

I wonder if those two will ever clash...meh probably not. Nagito is too loopy and Nanami is too chill.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It was probably just a trick of the animation, but while I was watching that I was almost willing to swear that Monobear was getting bigger as he ate.

Tricks of animation aside, though, that bear's either chubbier than he looks or he's got some really inefficient fat-storage mechanisms. He's taken barely two bites out of that thing and he's bloated up like a balloon!

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Armanky posted:

It hasn't been too bad, but there have been at least a few instances of uncalled for hostility towards some fairly reasonable speculation, just because it wasn't "up-to-date".

True, but in a few of those instances "not up-to-date" meant they hadn't even bothered to read the same page they were posting on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symptom
Oct 19, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I dunno why, but he seems to be eating in time with the music during the video.

• Locked thread