Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

LoG posted:

Picture for this page

The single greatest ASOIAF fanart in history.

Wutup new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Which poster here did that wonderful reading of the Myrrish Swamp scene?

well roy whatshnisname technically, it's just much better mixed with smooth jazz

I couldn't remember any other sustained terribly goony scenes tbh, otherwise I'd do more.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 10, 2013

Fiendish_Ghoul
Jul 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 158 days!

Contra Calculus posted:

No joke, I read these books while in high school reading literally about a chapter a day because I also had a poo poo-load of textbooks and assigned English books to read each day.

I finished the first three books in less than a year and I still had plenty of time to hang out with friends, play dumb videogames, study for school, and masturbate. What are these guys doing that takes so much time out of their day that they can't be assed to read incredibly easy-to-read, critically acclaimed books?

I mean I could understand if they were parents and/or incredibly busy people. But if they have time to read a ginormous thread about a TV series based off a book series, then why is it hard for them to read the source material?

My friends who are parents have read the books. In fact the only person among my close friends who hasn't is single, laid off for nearly a year, and claims to only have time for non-fiction. Not that his elitist tastes keep him away from Soth Park, vulgar stand-up comedy and Reddit.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
My sister asked me to get the show for her because all her frinds were watching. I told her sure but the books are way better and here have this one and she said "ok awesome" and started reading because she is not a goony TVIV sperglady.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Your sister sounds like a real blast at parties.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

LoG posted:

Your sister sounds like a real blast at parties.

I know right? I mean, she reads. Gross.

I bet she, like, has a ponytail and has paint on her overalls.

What a nerd. Haha. Loser!

*makes L hand gesture on forehead*

*struts away to villain music*

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Check me out, man, I read. I'm so smart and enlightened and intellectual *posts 600 pages about poo poo boners* :smug:

You guys are terrible. Non-book fans are terrible. GURM is terrible. I'm most terrible of all. Cancel this show, send Peter Dinklage to panto and fire GURM into the sun.

(Except the lemoncakes spoiler, that poo poo was hilarious)

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Who the gently caress said we were enlightened and intellectual?

Also: This thread.mp4

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 10, 2013

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Contra Calculus posted:

Who the gently caress said we were enlightened and intellectual?

Also: This thread.mp4

I actually get a little mad when people call him Jeffrey/Geoffrey. killing myself, im gay, shitdicks etc

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just watched season two of A Song of Thrones or whatever. Did Brienne really kill some random people on the side of the road? I was pretty sure that she didn't kill anyone until she got to that cave in book four.
Edit: That is the best song. I wish he ended it by saying Robb Stark died.

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 10, 2013

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

She killed some stark duders for raping the girls and finding out who Jaime was iirc

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Pro-click zone

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

LoG posted:

Picture for this page
Someone post that in the Prelapsarian Thread and see if anyone figures out exactly who is being depicted.

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010
Brienne in the books definitely didn't kill anyone until those dudes from the Bloody Mummers in AFfC and gets all upset about it, even though they were assholes. In the show she kills those random dudes and doesn't give a poo poo, so, pretty weird and out of character, but I guess it looks cooler on screen. I've given up worrying about stuff like that in the show, I'm just along for the ride because at this point, I'm sure the show will have some form of ending, which even if its incredibly dumb and terrible, will be more then we will ever get from GRRM.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah not going to lie this is pretty much Diet "Bad Thread" in music form.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Hey you guys are always complaining about TVIV and how awful they are. Which they are, but you know what's worse? People that think they can just jump into ASOS without reading the first two since they saw the first two seasons.

I don't know why but that annoys me even more then nonreaders being smug. It's like saying "Well I saw Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers, guess I only need to read Return of the King!" :spergin:

e - jokes on them though when people decide to skip the first three books and jump to Feast and Dance.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I think nothing embodies this thread better than a fat, bearded, Australian man dressed like Ned Stark ranting about the books to a group of worried onlookers while GRRM eats a baby.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

While GRRM eats a baby? You really think so lowly of him?

He would polish off two, minimum.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Personperson14 posted:

Hey you guys are always complaining about TVIV and how awful they are. Which they are, but you know what's worse? People that think they can just jump into ASOS without reading the first two since they saw the first two seasons.

I don't know why but that annoys me even more then nonreaders being smug. It's like saying "Well I saw Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers, guess I only need to read Return of the King!" :spergin:

e - jokes on them though when people decide to skip the first three books and jump to Feast and Dance.

I only ever read half of A Game of Thrones before saying "gently caress it" and skipping onto A Clash of Kings. I planned to go back and reread it after catching up in the books, but, uh, the ending of ADWD made me say "gently caress it" and give up on the series!

At this point I enjoy the show more than the books. (It is my not-so-secret shame).

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Well to be fair, ADWD did suck pretty bad so I can't blame you entirely.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Well technically everyone quit reading the series forever after reading ADWD.

e: vvv boom

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Blind Sally posted:

I only ever read half of A Game of Thrones before saying "gently caress it" and skipping onto A Clash of Kings. I planned to go back and reread it after catching up in the books, but, uh, the ending of ADWD made me say "gently caress it" and give up on the series!

At this point I enjoy the show more than the books. (It is my not-so-secret shame).

You can't really give up on a series after reading the last book.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Contra Calculus posted:

I think nothing embodies this thread better than a fat, bearded, Australian man dressed like Ned Stark ranting about the books to a group of worried onlookers while GRRM eats a baby.

That dude's a Goon too.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I bet it's one of you fuckers in this thread who made that video. In fact, I guaran-loving-tee it's one of you fuckers that made it.

Come on, fess up! Which one of you is it?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

No one's looking down at people for enjoying GoT the TV show. People just find it very odd that these goons are so invested in the story, yet won't go near a book and spend more time with these characters that they love so much, and that they're willing to spend literally hours a day talking about it on an internet forum and speculating about what comes next, when they could find out what comes next right now if they just picked up a loving book. A very easy to read, very cinematic loving book.

At least that's the harmless kind of weird. What's really easy to look down on is when someone does all the above but in addition to that gets upset not only at the mere possibility of hearing spoilers, but even just hearing that the book exists.

They just gotta hear that Dany has gone nowhere and then they can feel freeeee~

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

Blind Sally posted:

I admit that I expect the Dance/Fest seasons to be better paced and plotted than the books, if only because they'll be effectively rewritten by someone with an eye to writing by beats and getting the story told in a reasonable scale and scope.

These big fantasy series all have the same problem. Jordan had it, and GRRM had it. Their editors won't rein them in, won't demand a more polished product. There's a point where there's just too much worldbuilding, and it's time to save it for the ten volume hardback lore encyclopedia that someone else writes while the author finishes the loving book.

Stuff like the tit hills or whatever comes across as Martin trying to pad out his word count by stuffing in the latest history tidbit he read. That whole chapter is "Jaime looks at stuff, then Brienne walks over and it's kind weird".

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

If gurm's editor reined him in ADWD wouldn't be out for another 5 years.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

While GRRM eats a baby? You really think so lowly of him?

He would polish off two, minimum.

Only after he spends four weeks per serving writing about how the baby looked, tasted, who brought it to him and all of the other food wankery the fat bastard does.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The biggest legitimate flaw with all Lucas's is they need a Spielberg, and all Spielberg's need a Kathleen Kennedy.

When Lucas does his own thing you get the prequels/ AFFC & ADWD.

"Artists" make great decisions with their early "vision" and don't need interference. Then they get self-indulgent and some cocaine-breathing atomic superdouche businessman needs to kick them in the face and bring them back home.

See also: the entire career of every shithead who "redefined" anything, including Ice Cube, Elvis, Tim Burton, Rob Reiner, Martin Scorsese, Francis Coppola, Ice T, The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, etc., forever.

No one in history except for Shakespeare himself had more than 3 masterworks in them. You can do them all early, you can do them sporadically, but eventually someone has to kick you in the dick to get you to churn out passable mediocrity to make your lows match your highs.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

No one in history except for Shakespeare himself had more than 3 masterworks in them. You can do them all early, you can do them sporadically, but eventually someone has to kick you in the dick to get you to churn out passable mediocrity to make your lows match your highs.

Even then, Shakespeare had Ben Jonson kicking him in the dick now and again.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The people who believe William Shakespeare was a pseudonym given to a group of anonymous playwrights are the worst sort of people, I thought I'd just get that out there.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Aurain posted:

The people who believe William Shakespeare was a pseudonym given to a group of anonymous playwrights are the worst sort of people, I thought I'd just get that out there.

I've met them, and I want to sack their villages and burn their homes.

Those people are only rivaled by 9/11 truthers, where embarassingly, rudimentary, frighteningly simplistic high school science can refute their every claim.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

No one in history ... had more than 3 masterworks in them.

Well, that plus a couple really good works too. :nolan:

That's also why I'll tell my kids, etc, to work hard and Don't Peak Early. (which the Grum didn't do, but oh well)

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I forgot :nolan:

Everything he's ever done is amazing.

(Make me a mod of CineD)

(Thx in advnc)

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
Was it divine fate that Martin's initials create a word that encapsulates his creepy disgusting nature?

Also my mum almost bought the books to read today. She loves the show. I told her to read them.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

ace_beef posted:

Was it divine fate that Martin's initials create a word that encapsulates his creepy disgusting nature?
You can also turn it into "GoRRaM," the expletive from Firefly/Serenity.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Aurain posted:

The stupidest theory.

The plays were clearly written by Bill's wife.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Joramun posted:

You can also turn it into "GoRRaM," the expletive from Firefly/Serenity.

You could, but you shouldn't.

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003

IRQ posted:

You could, but you shouldn't.

Aren't those the words of House GRRM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

The biggest legitimate flaw with all Lucas's is they need a Spielberg, and all Spielberg's need a Kathleen Kennedy.

When Lucas does his own thing you get the prequels/ AFFC & ADWD.

"Artists" make great decisions with their early "vision" and don't need interference. Then they get self-indulgent and some cocaine-breathing atomic superdouche businessman needs to kick them in the face and bring them back home.

See also: the entire career of every shithead who "redefined" anything, including Ice Cube, Elvis, Tim Burton, Rob Reiner, Martin Scorsese, Francis Coppola, Ice T, The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, etc., forever.

Scorsese had Goodfellas, The Departed, Taxi Driver, and uh... um.... uh.... Hugo was pretty good imo. TBF I haven't seen any of his other films.