Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJwX5uy_Muc

golly.

golly that la parka fellow sounds like one of those wu tang klansmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
The Juvie-copying-Rock thing started, i think, because Rock dropped his name in a random promo. Like in a derogatory way - "You think you're tough because you've been fighting jabronies named Juventud?", and somebody at WCW got worked up about it.

VinNYC82
Jan 26, 2004

Supreme Allah posted:

The Juvie-copying-Rock thing started, i think, because Rock dropped his name in a random promo. Like in a derogatory way - "You think you're tough because you've been fighting jabronies named Juventud?", and somebody at WCW got worked up about it.

Rock said this to Jericho the night Jericho debuted and interrupted his promo right?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
You guys just reminded me of "The Juice" and that makes me quite upset.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
The best wrestler and best gimmick in WCW was "Das Wunderkind" Alex Wright. Too bad he also had the worst gimmick in the world in Berlyn. Him and Disco Inferno made a fun tag team.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Jack Krauser posted:

You guys just reminded me of "The Juice" and that makes me quite upset.

Remembering any luchadore post-unmasking in WCW should make you quite upset.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Beautiful Ninja posted:

The best wrestler and best gimmick in WCW was "Das Wunderkind" Alex Wright. Too bad he also had the worst gimmick in the world in Berlyn. Him and Disco Inferno made a fun tag team.

I still maintain Berlyn could have been a good midcard heel.

But Das Wunderkind was better, yes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Somehow I never made the connection between the wrestler Berlyn having a bodyguard named The Wall until my dad brought it up one night.

"They really call them that?"

"Call them what?"

"Berlyn and the Wall.....the Berlin Wall."

":aaa:"

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

oldpainless posted:

Somehow I never made the connection between the wrestler Berlyn having a bodyguard named The Wall until my dad brought it up one night.

"They really call them that?"

"Call them what?"

"Berlyn and the Wall.....the Berlin Wall."

":aaa:"

I took me way longer than I'm comfortable admitting to realise that Paul Bearer's name was a pun. Then again, I can always claim ignorance since english isn't my first language.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Alex Wright was really pretty bad at wrestling for much of his time in WCW. His dance/eurotrash club music/cool leather jacket were awesome though.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

boring babyface Alex Wright was terrible, it wasn't until he started using his dance as a heel maneuver that he really began to shine

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

nasboat posted:

boring babyface Alex Wright was terrible, it wasn't until he started using his dance as a heel maneuver that he really began to shine

This. It was just one of those "wrestling voodoo" moments where you can't really explain WHY it's good, but it just loving worked so well.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Wrong thread

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 5, 2013

Shadalator
Oct 22, 2005

I hate her so much. Vince could've married some young hot gold digger, bought her everything she ever wanted, and still saved tens of millions of dollars. Instead he married an old dumb zombie woman who kicked JR in the nuts. What a bitch
Alex Wright is 4-0 against HHH. Awesome

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Alex Wright has apparently opened a wrestling school about half an hour from where I live in Germany. He was also born (and lives here again?) in the same town as me woohoo!

I've always kind of wanted to go and get some random shoot stuff out of him about his time in WCW maybe or, I dunno, just be like "hey guy, I watched you wrestle back in WCW!" but I'm honestly not sure how receptable he'd be to any of that. Might be kind of interesting either way. I feel like he would be the kind of guy who's not too happy about smarks bothering him.

You can check out his stuff at http://www.prowrestlingschool.de if you care enough about Alex Wright.

e: I feel like I made this exact post in this thread already.. weird.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
It's pretty depressing to read all the glowing remarks about Alex Wright in the old Observers, knowing he's going to be continually buried and held down. And not even by high up people like Kevin Nash, dude got stiffed by loving Jim Duggan.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
That guy might be the most high profile worker to be hosed over by different people via unprofessional behavior during matches important to him.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MrBling posted:

I took me way longer than I'm comfortable admitting to realise that Paul Bearer's name was a pun. Then again, I can always claim ignorance since english isn't my first language.

It took me actually being a pallbearer in a funeral before I figured it out.

I still routinely spell it paulbearer too.

:smith:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

crankdatbatman posted:

It took me actually being a pallbearer in a funeral before I figured it out.

I still routinely spell it paulbearer too.

:smith:

It legit didn't occur to me until a couple years ago at my grandmother's funeral when I was asked to be a pallbearer so you're not alone here

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaylord Plower posted:

It legit didn't occur to me until a couple years ago at my grandmother's funeral when I was asked to be a pallbearer so you're not alone here

I didn't figure it out until after a funeral either. Took my mind off the grief, so kudos WWF.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight is Superbrawl VI night: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543189

This features the Pillman/Sullivan "Respect" match, one of the most famous incidents in WCW history.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I never realized they actually acknowledged that the Paul Bearer name was a pun on TV until I rewatched his Brother Love debut.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I got asked to be a pallbearer today for my grandmother's funeral (she passed this morning) and this discussion cheered me up a bit. Thanks guys. :unsmith:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Critical posted:

I got asked to be a pallbearer today for my grandmother's funeral (she passed this morning) and this discussion cheered me up a bit. Thanks guys. :unsmith:

And Paul Bearer was always super happy when families came to his funeral home, saw who he was and got so excited they were talking to PAUL BEARER that they forgot their grief for a little bit!

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Paul has also claimed that some bereaved wrestling fans would ask for pictures of Paul Bearer with their loved one's casket.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MassRanTer posted:

And Paul Bearer was always super happy when families came to his funeral home, saw who he was and got so excited they were talking to PAUL BEARER that they forgot their grief for a little bit!

Paul Bearer kicks rear end. I'm legitimately sad that he's gone.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tato posted:

It's pretty depressing to read all the glowing remarks about Alex Wright in the old Observers, knowing he's going to be continually buried and held down. And not even by high up people like Kevin Nash, dude got stiffed by loving Jim Duggan.
What was ever appealing about Jim Duggan? Seriously, someone explain this to me.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Halloween Jack posted:

What was ever appealing about Jim Duggan? Seriously, someone explain this to me.

He was a WWF star in the 80's. That was pretty much all of his appeal to WCW. Oh and he was buds with Hogan.

I mean Duggan is a curious tale in that he really wasn't ever that good, but was made to look an absolute star in Midsouth/UWF by working with Dibaise and then later with Terry Gordy. His opponents worked so well at covering up his short commings that when Vince came knocking he didn't realise how limited he actually was at the time. So Vince then tried his hardest to hide his weaknesses and accentuate his positives, to the point where he became a fan fave, something that WCW never even attempted to do.

Also Duggan never drops kayfabe, ever.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I think Hacksaw was just so drat enthusiastic and into his USA USA USA gimmick, people couldn't help but get into it.

Plus, I hear Americans love their country and enjoy chanting USA USA USA :911:

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
People will always get a kick about ol' Hacksaw because most of them liked him as kids cuz he was a goofy fun dude who blasted baddies with his 2x4 and he was never overpushed in the WWF so they don't harbor any ill over him.
His US champ reign in WCW was probably the last time he didn't completely dogdge in the ring (seriously, his match against Vader was really good).

His TV champ reign was fun too but his fights were still paint by numbers.

^^^^
Edit: Yeah and the best thing is he can also get a USA USA chant in foreign countries.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just don't understand why they couldn't slap the same gimmick on someone with more talent. He couldn't work, couldn't talk as far as I remember, wasn't a body, didn't have a unique look. He could wave a stick with a flag on it or wave a stick without a flag on it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I think you're underselling the great Hacksaw Jim Duggan charisma! I think anyone who can keep a gimmick going like he did has to have some special way of connecting with the crowd.

Plus he was the master of the Old Glory Kneedrop, the Old Glory backdrop, the Old Glory 2x4 shot to the head…

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The WWF had him on fairly good money and he was popular with the other guys in the back, so they had to do something with him. The gimmick became a success to the point it went hand in hand with him so they stuck with it.

WCW tried to do some other things with him, but when they tried to turn him into a bare knuckle brawler it just didn't work out. It was probably in no small part to the minute it took him to tape up his fists in every match before he hit his big right hand finisher.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Duggan cut a pretty awesome heartfelt promo about his health troubles and his family and the USA in late 1999 WCW when he was feuding with The Revolution, who recently became an actual revolution and renamed their members after snakes and kept trying to deface the American flag.

Naturally, this led to a tag match and the surprise return of The Varsity Club who immediately turned on Duggan for no reason.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

oatgan posted:

Duggan cut a pretty awesome heartfelt promo about his health troubles and his family and the USA in late 1999 WCW when he was feuding with The Revolution, who recently became an actual revolution and renamed their members after snakes and kept trying to deface the American flag.

Naturally, this led to a tag match and the surprise return of The Varsity Club who immediately turned on Duggan for no reason.

I enjoy how a lot of us have this encyclopedic knowledge of 1999 WCW thanks to your thread.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqiQFhWaPCo

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

oatgan posted:

Trouser snake was the best member of Revolution. :colbert:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Oh that reminds me. I think the stipulation for that tag match was that if Duggan lost he would have to say he hated the USA or burn a flag or something. Anyway, he loses and when it comes time for him to fulfil his obligation he just says "No!" and that's it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
The Old Glory no-sell of the storyline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Does anyone have video of Lex Luger showing up on WCW? Been trying to find it again for laughs and not having any luck.