Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

ConfusedUs posted:

Can I get your pretzel roll recipe? I want to try this myself!

Sure. My scale is on the way, so I've been using volume instead of weight :ohdear:

Combine:
2.25 tsp yeast
1 cup warm water -- about 235ml
Let sit about 5 minutes

Combine:
2.75 cups flour (I've been using unbleached all-purpose) -- about 350 g
1 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp granulated sugar

Combine the two, knead 8-10 minutes, let rise, then knock down, knead for about a minute, and divide into 8 rolls. Let 'em rise once more.

Then, bring 6 cups of water to boil in a big-ish saucepan. Once it's boiling, slowly add in 1/4th cup baking soda. It'll foam up when you add it. Boil the rolls for about 2 minutes, then turn them over so they float on their other side and boil for another 2 minutes -- I do 4 rolls at a time.

Once the rolls are out, slash them and sprinkle with more kosher salt to taste. So far, I've had the best results when I preheated a stone at 500 degrees, poured a bit of water on a pan on the bottom rack of the oven, put the rolls on the stone, then put them in at around 425 degrees until they're golden brown. Since they're smallish it doesn't take long -- usually under 10 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

dakana posted:

Sure. My scale is on the way, so I've been using volume instead of weight :ohdear:

Combine:
2.25 tsp yeast
Let sit about 5 minutes

Combine:
1 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp granulated sugar

Combine the two, knead 8-10 minutes, let rise, then knock down, knead for about a minute, and divide into 8 rolls. Let 'em rise once more.

Then, bring 6 cups of water to boil in a big-ish saucepan. Once it's boiling, slowly add in 1/4th cup baking soda. It'll foam up when you add it. Boil the rolls for about 2 minutes, then turn them over so they float on their other side and boil for another 2 minutes -- I do 4 rolls at a time.

Once the rolls are out, slash them and sprinkle with more kosher salt to taste. So far, I've had the best results when I preheated a stone at 500 degrees, poured a bit of water on a pan on the bottom rack of the oven, put the rolls on the stone, then put them in at around 425 degrees until they're golden brown. Since they're smallish it doesn't take long -- usually under 10 minutes.

Volume is better for me because I also don't have a scale! I'm gonna try this later this week. Thanks!

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009

nwin posted:

Having some trouble with some sourdough and am looking for any insight.

I have the Oregon Trail starter and have made the following recipe twice:

http://www.themanlyhousekeeper.com/2011/06/24/bread-baker-rosemary-or-olive-sourdough/

(Don't blame me for the site...it was the first one I could find)

Now a few things I ran into with that (note that I didn't do the olive bread, I just made the rosemary).:

1)The dough is VERY sticky to work with. He says at one point to line bowls with paper towels...I did that and then when it came time to remove I was tearing paper towels off. The next time I used a cloth towel which worked a bit better, but I was still tearing dough off of it.

2) It doesn't rise that much during cooking. We're talking maybe 3 inches at most in the center?

3) The crust is quite thick. I like thick crusts, and this is on par with what I like, but maybe a tad thinner wouldn't be bad?

Now, for cooking, I've been following that recipe to a T as far as I can tell. The one thing I do to cook it is preheat the oven with a pizza stone in there and then put the dough on the stone.

What I'm really aiming for is the Rosemary Olive Oil Sourdough bread I get at Whole Foods. I use this bread for sandwiches so I need it to be thicker. I think the Whole Foods bread is probably 5 inches at center?

Any advice or other recipes would be much appreciated. Thanks!

If the dough is too wet, you can work in a little more flour to stiffen it up. When you put them in the bowl for the second fermentation they won't be as sticky. Also, since you've got olive oil in the dough, try coating the bowl with a bit of oil to keep it from sticking. Or, if you add enough flour your dough will be stiff enough to hold it's own shape on a baking pan or peel. A firmer dough will also be taller when you bake it instead of spreading out like a slack dough will.

For a thinner crust, you'll want to steam the oven when you first put the bread in. I like to use a squirt bottle to blast the sides and bottom of the oven with water. Get your bread set up on the peel, squirt the oven with water, quickly slash your dough, slide it onto your stone, then spray the oven again. If you want, you can spray again after a couple minutes. This will delay formation of the crust resulting in a bigger loaf with a thinner crust.

The recipe calls for 14 oz of starter but it doesn't say if it is a stiff levain or a liquid. If you're using a different kind, that could be why your dough is very sticky. How are you keeping and feeding your starter? Since this bread is solely leavened by the sourdough culture, you'll want to make sure it's at its peak fermenting power when you mix the dough. If you still want a little more rise to your dough, you can add 1/8 tsp. of commercial yeast per pound of flour without changing the sourdough characteristics of the bread.

Les Oeufs
May 10, 2006
I really want to learn to make fluffy soft white sandwich bread. I've tried to make bread in the past, but it ended up being exactly like bread-maker break which has a quality about it that I hate. My mother had a habit of over making something that we all liked to the point of us getting completely sick of it. Bread maker bread is one of these things.
I used to buy this fresh sandwich bread from Canadian Superstore that they baked in the store and it was the best sandwich bread ever. Incredibly thin crust, bread so airy and fluffy it would probably fall to the floor like a balloon if you dropped it. Very thin soft crust.
How do I make this bread? People seem to be getting pretty soft looking bread from this challah business. Is the secret somewhere in there?
I'm also looking at this cold oven baking method. Thinking in my head, if you had a particularly active yeast you could have the bread rise in the baking pan, and then slowly increasing the temperature from 0 would make the yeast belch like crazy until it killed them off.

Help me make this bread.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
You can get a very light and fluffy bread by adding eggs because they help to rise the bread. Eggs are really not necessary but they can help

If you can't get your bread to rise and be very light and fluffy there's probably a simple answer.

- You didn't proof it long enough or warm enough, or it was too warm. The ideal temp. to rise your dough is 24 degrees celsius, much cooler or warmer than this and you will have problems with your rise. So when it says to put your dough somewhere warm, actually put it somewhere warm. And cover it.

I always double rise my bread. I mix my dough, give it an hour in which it generally doubles in size and then punch it down, shape it, and rise it again for another hour.

- You put it in a cold oven. You should always put your uncooked dough into an oven that has been fully heated. If you put it in a cold oven you risk letting it sink instead of giving it a chance to spring up even more when it hits the hot air. Do not open your oven during baking. Resist the urge.

- Your dough is too dry. You will know if your dough is dry because kneading it will suck. It will really, really resist you and you may get sore hands or wrist from trying to force it into a dough. It's ok for your dough to be a little wet and sticky. High hydration doughs are often practically batters.

- Your ingredients are cold. Kneading dough is really sucky when you use cold water, cold milk, cold eggs, etc. I make my dough with milk and eggs so I heat the milk on the stove top and slowly stir it into my eggs, so when I'm ready to knead, everything goes much smoother. If your ingredients are right out of the fridge, it also takes longer to rise.

- You didn't use enough yeast/your yeast is dead/you hindered your yeast by mixing it with salt (this is not very likely)

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Les Oeufs posted:

I really want to learn to make fluffy soft white sandwich bread.

Use a low protein 'soft' flour. I have never tried baking bread with cake flour, but give it a try.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
If I want a softer crumb I add a bit of oil to the dough. I also use a regular technique with kneading, rather than a no-knead.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
Anyone have reccomendations for a good bread peel? I've been eyeing this one up on Amazon.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Related to that: are metal peels preferable to wooden ones? I notice they're a lot thinner.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
This is my usual soft white bread loaf, it's pretty soft and fluffy but slices well.

100 g 100% hydration starter
50 g water
50 g AP flour

Let that go for an hour or two then add:

180 g water
30 g honey
32 g dry milk (or replace water with milk)
1 - 2 tsp instant yeast (depending how fast I want it to rise)
1 5/8 tsp salt
26 g softened butter (about 2 tablespoons)
350 g AP flour

Mix and knead to form a soft pliable dough, adding up to 35 g more water depending on your flour and humidity. If you don't have a sourdough starter you can just skip the starter step and do do 280 - 315 g water and 450 g flour.

Once the dough is nice and stretchy without tearing, let it rise until double, usually an hour or two depending on how much yeast you used. You can stick it in the fridge and let it go more slowly overnight if you want. Once doubled, redistribute the gas in the dough by stretching and folding it a few times.

Form the dough into a sandwich loaf and place in your loaf plan. Let it proof until it rises a couple inches above the lip of the pan, usually about an hour. Preheat your oven to 350 F some time during the proof.

Bake the bread, spraying some water from a spray bottle into the oven at 30 second intervals for the first couple minutes, or you can also throw some ice cubes into a hot baking pan when you first put the bread in the oven. Start checking at 40 minutes for doneness, when the internal temp is 195 F. Let cool for five minutes in the pan on a cooling rack, then turn the loaf out to cool outside the pan.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I read Michael Ruhlman's ratio and decided to give it a go. I'm stupid and used half whole wheat flour and half white. When I did the 5/3 ratio, it seemed super duper dry, so I just kept going. After kneading for like, 15 minutes, it came together but it wasn't super pliable and I definitely couldn't do the see through test. It's baking right now inside my dutch oven, so we'll see how it turns out but I already know what I'd change in the future. I take it it's not the end of the world to add more water to make mixing a bit more thorough? Also, whole wheat flour seems a bit tougher to deal with.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

As part of my do something new in the kitchen every week, I baked my first bread today. Used http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/hearth-bread-recipe as a recipe. Since it makes two loaves, I did both baking methods. They turned out well, but the loaf baked the first way(35-45 minutes @400) was split along the bottom of one side(second picture). What would cause that, so I can correct it in the future.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

ltr posted:

As part of my do something new in the kitchen every week, I baked my first bread today. Used http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/hearth-bread-recipe as a recipe. Since it makes two loaves, I did both baking methods. They turned out well, but the loaf baked the first way(35-45 minutes @400) was split along the bottom of one side(second picture). What would cause that, so I can correct it in the future.

You probably didn't slash it deep enough. 1/2 inch is usually enough to prevent tearing.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Enter Char posted:

You probably didn't slash it deep enough. 1/2 inch is usually enough to prevent tearing.

Thanks, I barely slashed it since the recipe said lightly. I'll remember to go deeper next time.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

ltr posted:

Thanks, I barely slashed it since the recipe said lightly. I'll remember to go deeper next time.

You can go deeper and still have it be salvageable, I almost cut a loaf in half once and oven spring brought it right back to a good thickness.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004 posted:

I read Michael Ruhlman's ratio and decided to give it a go. I'm stupid and used half whole wheat flour and half white. When I did the 5/3 ratio, it seemed super duper dry, so I just kept going. After kneading for like, 15 minutes, it came together but it wasn't super pliable and I definitely couldn't do the see through test. It's baking right now inside my dutch oven, so we'll see how it turns out but I already know what I'd change in the future. I take it it's not the end of the world to add more water to make mixing a bit more thorough? Also, whole wheat flour seems a bit tougher to deal with.

Looks like I didn't form it enough and it got misshappen. Bread doesn't have to look perfect to taste good, right? :ohdear:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doh004 posted:

Looks like I didn't form it enough and it got misshappen. Bread doesn't have to look perfect to taste good, right? :ohdear:

How does it taste? Doesn't look like much oven spring either. Whole meal is definitely harder to work with, and takes more liquid. You can absolutely add more water. Recipes should be a guide: if it feels too loose or too stiff, adjust accordingly.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

therattle posted:

How does it taste? Doesn't look like much oven spring either. Whole meal is definitely harder to work with, and takes more liquid. You can absolutely add more water. Recipes should be a guide: if it feels too loose or too stiff, adjust accordingly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiMOKmp0uZc

Might just throw it out and start from scratch tomorrow. I want to get using whole meal correct because otherwise I can't justify eating straight up white. Good thing flour is cheap!

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Doh004 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiMOKmp0uZc

Might just throw it out and start from scratch tomorrow. I want to get using whole meal correct because otherwise I can't justify eating straight up white. Good thing flour is cheap!

Taste it before you throw it out! It might taste fine, and you can learn a lot about what you need to do differently next time!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

bengy81 posted:

Taste it before you throw it out! It might taste fine, and you can learn a lot about what you need to do differently next time!

It doesn't taste bad - I just wanted to use that clip.

It's heavy and tastes too... floury?

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Doh004 posted:

When I first started baking bread I was super obsessed with following everything to the absolute exact instructions. Over time I learned to use the recipes more as a guideline than a hard-line. I learned to bake using feel - knowing when the dough felt right. In your case if the dough felt too dry, you could have slowly added in water and mixed by hand until it came together as a more hydraded mass.

In short, baking is about loving up a lot and learning and eventually turning out good bread through perseverance.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Doh004 posted:

It doesn't taste bad - I just wanted to use that clip.

It's heavy and tastes too... floury?
Let it rise more and you should get a less floury taste and a more yeasty taste. That will also cut down on the heaviness some. And yeah, try more water.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NightConqueror posted:

When I first started baking bread I was super obsessed with following everything to the absolute exact instructions. Over time I learned to use the recipes more as a guideline than a hard-line. I learned to bake using feel - knowing when the dough felt right. In your case if the dough felt too dry, you could have slowly added in water and mixed by hand until it came together as a more hydraded mass.

In short, baking is about loving up a lot and learning and eventually turning out good bread through perseverance.

Totally.

Doh, I almost never use 100% wholewheat unless I want that specific very heavy, dense seeded wholewheat loaf. I normally cut it with at least 20% white and normally do 50/50 if I use wholewheat. That 20% makes a big difference. As you say, though, flour is cheap, so have fun experimenting!

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
So after making pretzel rolls like 8 times (experimenting with different ratios -- I really like a 75% bread flour, 25% whole wheat flour roll) I finally decided to make a different sort of bread.

Looked up some stuff online and came up with this:

Used 178 gr of bread flour with 125gr of water (70% hydration) and 1/2 tsp of salt. Dissolved about 1/3 - 1/2 tsp of active dry yeast in the water with a sprinkling of sugar, let it foam, then combined and kneaded. Let it rise for an hour, then degassed it and put it in the fridge in a lidded container overnight. Woke up, took it out and let it warm up a bit for an hour, then made the same dough again, brought it together and then kneaded the old dough into it. Let it rise for 2 hours, then shaped it into the baguette shape and let it rise another hour. Slashed it, baked it at 450 for like 15-20 minutes. I dumped some water into a preheated pan under the baking sheet when I first put it in, and then occasionally threw a little bit of water at the walls of my oven during the baking (I really need to get a spray bottle).

The pate fermentee really adds a great nutty sort of flavor, and the crust has a nice crunch to it without being overly chewy to tear off. Inside is nicely fluffy. I'm really happy with it and will definitely be making more in the future -- it's great plain, or with a bit of butter. I'd imagine it'd make a good sub sandwich bread, or for dipping in soup.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
Meant to post these ages ago, here are the pics of my sadly failed croissants. I made them based on theweekendbakery recipe, not really sure where I went wrong. My theory is that I didn't roll the pastry out thin enough, it didn't rise enough, or I used the wrong kind of flour. I didn't have french 55 so I just used regular pastry flour. It was good, layered, flaky pastry but...it was just pastry. Not really croissant.

Likewise this is my hilarious miche. I made this by the exact same method as my last one and it just became utterly huge. There is no commercial yeast in this, only my own sourdough starter. The problem I had with it was that it didn't have the elastic texture of the last loaf, it was just normal bread, and instead of getting large air bubbles it just rose by about three times the size. The taste also suffered, it had a very light sour note but not at all the beery taste of the last one. Same starter and method for both loaves, who knows.

I think I should have known it was going to blow up after I left the sourdough starter ball to double in 12 hours, the first time it actually doubled, the second time instead of doubling it blew up and filled the entire container.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Thanks for the advice guys. I have another batch doing its first rise now. I used more water, ~75% hydration, and more yeast than last time too. This came together a lot, lot better and kneading it was actually possible. Hoping to get a good rise out of this.

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009

The Doctor posted:

Meant to post these ages ago, here are the pics of my sadly failed croissants. I made them based on theweekendbakery recipe, not really sure where I went wrong. My theory is that I didn't roll the pastry out thin enough, it didn't rise enough, or I used the wrong kind of flour. I didn't have french 55 so I just used regular pastry flour. It was good, layered, flaky pastry but...it was just pastry. Not really croissant.

For croissants, you want to use a stronger flour. Regular bread flour or a mix of bread and AP works well. When you roll them out during the laminating process, aim for a thickness of 10 cm, and for shaping bring it down to 4-6 cm. For an unfilled croissant, the quality of the butter will make a huge difference. If you can, spring for a European style butter like Plugra. My favorite butter is the Servre et Belle Grand Cru, but it's ludicrously expensive.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
I would never have guessed that. Thanks!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004 posted:

Thanks for the advice guys. I have another batch doing its first rise now. I used more water, ~75% hydration, and more yeast than last time too. This came together a lot, lot better and kneading it was actually possible. Hoping to get a good rise out of this.

Holy poo poo, there's a crumb!

And it tastes good! How do I get it to be taller? It flattened out after the second rise in the dutch oven. Can I reshape it again after the second rise?

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib

Doh004 posted:

Holy poo poo, there's a crumb!

And it tastes good! How do I get it to be taller? It flattened out after the second rise in the dutch oven. Can I reshape it again after the second rise?

if it flattened out after your second rise in a dutch oven it sounds like it was too hot.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

The Doctor posted:

if it flattened out after your second rise in a dutch oven it sounds like it was too hot.

It was about this tall when I put it into the oven, so there wasn't much oven spring. It's still a bajillion times fluffier than my loaf 3 days ago. Straight into the trash that goes!

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Oops. What'd I do wrong?

Haven't made bread in ages. This is 1/3 rye 1/3 wholewheat 1/3 white with some seeds etc thrown in.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It looks like it split. Maybe you didn't cut it deep enough across the top.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

ConfusedUs posted:

It looks like it split. Maybe you didn't cut it deep enough across the top.

yes it did split. Is not cutting it deep enough the only reason for that to happen?

e: I feel I should add that it is DELICIOUS, gaping holes or not.

toe knee hand fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 8, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Was there a seam or a crease where the bread split open?

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Steve Yun posted:

Was there a seam or a crease where the bread split open?

Not that I noticed.

I don't really remember how to make bread and I've never used rye before at all, so I just want to make sure there isn't something else (besides not slashing it enough) that I'm missing.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
There's a number of reasons for bread splitting. Most commonly it's poor forming technique. I'm not sure how you rolled the loaf out before proofing it, but for something like rye bread I generally make a large batard, ensuring that the dough is tight across the top and pinched sealed along the bottom. This helps to remove the risk of weak spots forming and allows the loaf to rise up and out.

NightConqueror fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 8, 2013

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Made my first Ciabatta

the lighting of my kitchen makes it look overly yellow but it was a really nice light colour with great texture and taste.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Not giving it a long enough rise after shaping can lead to splitting as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

dakana posted:

Combine:
2.25 tsp yeast
Let sit about 5 minutes

Combine:
1 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp granulated sugar

I finally got around to make this. It was Real drat Good!

No pics--we ate all the rolls--but I did a horrible job of shaping them. They split like crazy, even though I scored the tops pretty deeply.

I also didn't use anywhere near 2.75 cups of flour. It was almost right at 2. I stopped because I felt if I added more, my dough would get too dry. It was the right call.

Regardless of that, this was a Good Recipe. I see how I can improve it in the future.

I think I'm gonna aim for smaller rolls + a cheese dipping sauce as a party snack.