Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Just grab a few block accounts from different providers. People say to get a backup, but why not get a few? You'll use the GBs eventually so it won't cost any extra in the long run. Ever since I did this I've never had a single incomplete, and I've downloaded at least a few MBs from each. Just be sure to find the image that's posted in this thread every 10 pages or so that shows which servers serve from which provider so you don't get accounts with all the same data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Just be sure to find the image that's posted in this thread every 10 pages or so that shows which servers serve from which provider so you don't get accounts with all the same data.

Why isn't that in the first post, actually?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

GOONZB Update:

We've reached a point where manually adding accounts via our E-mail method has become way too much of a slog with all the signups.

Thanks guys!

GOONZB LIVES!

I was lucky and got in early (or what I assumed was early) however didn't know if that was something we should share or not.

No problems with the site and I appriciate that it seems to be a little faster the nzb.su.

For a scale question should I be limiting my API calls to anything above the standard 10 minutes?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

inpheaux posted:

Welp, sucks for you, I guess. I've been using nothing but Supernews for the past several months, and incompletes are few and far between. When they do happen it's just a matter of downloading a repost or whatever.

I haven't had incompletes, but their performance seems to have tanked. I can no longer flood my 50mbit connection from Supernews but rather cap out around 30mbit/sec on the best. Some content is even worse, I've been in the sub-4mbit/sec range all day (though I won't complain here at all, the content is over 1200 days old) even though I can pull the full 50 to test sites in NoVA (where Supernews appears to be).

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

wolrah posted:

I haven't had incompletes, but their performance seems to have tanked. I can no longer flood my 50mbit connection from Supernews but rather cap out around 30mbit/sec on the best. Some content is even worse, I've been in the sub-4mbit/sec range all day (though I won't complain here at all, the content is over 1200 days old) even though I can pull the full 50 to test sites in NoVA (where Supernews appears to be).

Try using the news.eu.supernews.com servers. I have found they hold up better on Sunday evenings compared to the American ones. Although for a time I was getting slow speeds pretty steadily. I emailed them about it awhile ago, tech support was looking into it but never got back to me on what they were doing about it. For a time it seemed to have worked itself out but recently, I'd say a couple of weeks ago it was acting up again so I switched to the European servers which seemt to do a bit better.

I have tried Supernews, Astraweb and one of the highwinds resellers. Supernews and Astraweb have comparable speeds, while highwinds was slow.

Cryoned
Dec 22, 2007

At my signal, unleash hell

wolrah posted:

I don't have that problem, I can download at full speed (100mb line), the problems comes later.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is blocknews still the cheapest option for a block account for people who don't download too much?

Also, I haven't followed or paid attention or cared at all about all these new search indexers because my nzbs.org account still works just fine. Should I be worried as in are they planning on actually shutting down?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is blocknews still the cheapest option for a block account for people who don't download too much?

How much do you need? Astraweb has 1000 GB for $50 (vs. 1024 GB for $91.39 on Blocknews), if less than 500 GB Blocknews is cheaper.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also, I haven't followed or paid attention or cared at all about all these new search indexers because my nzbs.org account still works just fine. Should I be worried as in are they planning on actually shutting down?

You should get another indexer or two for the inevitable time when your indexer shuts down so you're not scrambling around in panic mode because you can't get your TV shows RIGHT NOW.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I've had no problems downloading, but have speeds been very slow today/last night for anyone else on BlockNews/Readnet? I know there might be a reason servers have been very busy during that time, is it that simple?

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Thauros posted:

I've had no problems downloading, but have speeds been very slow today/last night for anyone else on BlockNews/Readnet? I know there might be a reason servers have been very busy during that time, is it that simple?

I had slow (~400KB/s) downloads from BlockNews both last night and this morning from both home and work connections.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die

Thauros posted:

Also slow at blocknews last night. I picked up 500GB for $20 from Newsgroup Direct's Spring sale and it worked well.

http://www.newsgroupdirect.com/blog/2013/03/25/spring-2013-block-sale/

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Trillest Parrot posted:

Also slow at blocknews last night. I picked up 500GB for $20 from Newsgroup Direct's Spring sale and it worked well.

http://www.newsgroupdirect.com/blog/2013/03/25/spring-2013-block-sale/
Thanks for linking this deal. I was experiencing slow downloads with Blocknews last night as well, so I figured it'd be nice to have a second provider on-hand for such cases. I won't come close to needing more blocks for a long while - the 10% additional blocks for header downloads alone is double what I've used in the last six months :gonk:

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
Astraweb was slow too last night (~400 kBps)

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Sunday nights are usually slow.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Demented Guy posted:

Astraweb was slow too last night (~400 kBps)

Same here. Never noticed the Sunday slowdown before but it was terrible last night.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Edit: nevermind

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
I updated sickbeard the other day and noticed they had added usenet-crawler.com, but today it stopped working.

http://www.usenet-crawler.com - text seems legit but what's with the background audio?

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

How does an optional server work in SABnzbd? Say for example you download a file that is 1GB. Will the client automatically give a percentage of that 1GB file to download and keep track of? What exactly dictates how SABnzbd uses the backup server?

Also, how many connections should I use per news server? I just put 10 in there and left it when I first set them up and am curious about this.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Slider posted:

How does an optional server work in SABnzbd? Say for example you download a file that is 1GB. Will the client automatically give a percentage of that 1GB file to download and keep track of? What exactly dictates how SABnzbd uses the backup server?

Also, how many connections should I use per news server? I just put 10 in there and left it when I first set them up and am curious about this.
Your usenet downloads are split into segments just like how torrents are split into blocks. You only download a segment from your back-up server when it's missing from your main server. A lot of the time you'll never need to get anything from your back-up, but when you do it's invaluable.
I'd start with 3 connections on the main server and increase them as long as it continues to increase my download speed. My back-up is set to 8. Trying to come up with the best number for your back-up would be kind of a bother. 8 seems fine and I doubt it uses that many very often anyway.

Optional servers is an option for servers that have weird problems and aren't always dependable. So if you check one as optional, when it starts acting up SABnzbd will know to just ignore it for 15 minutes or whatever before trying again and will use the next primary or back-up server you have until then.
Not sure if an optional server would have higher priority over a non-optional server. That would seem to make sense. I should set an optional and check my connections while downloading.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 5, 2013

Polluxx Troy
Mar 12, 2005

...authorities here are on alert...
I can't for the life of me figure out how to get Sickbeard to rename my files appropriately.

I have TV sorting enabled with this string in Sab:
code:
 D:\TV Shows\%sn/S%0sxE%0e - %en.%ext 
But it never works...and I am left with this kind of result when it's moved into a folder:
S07xE02 - HDTV x264-EVOLVE

And now I just noticed that there's an option in Sickbeard under Naming that allows me to set it as:
code:
 2x03 - Ep Name 
Should I set TV sorting in Sab AND set Naming in SB? or just Naming?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Polluxx Troy posted:

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get Sickbeard to rename my files appropriately.

I have TV sorting enabled with this string in Sab:
code:
 D:\TV Shows\%sn/S%0sxE%0e - %en.%ext 
But it never works...and I am left with this kind of result when it's moved into a folder:
S07xE02 - HDTV x264-EVOLVE

And now I just noticed that there's an option in Sickbeard under Naming that allows me to set it as:
code:
 2x03 - Ep Name 
Should I set TV sorting in Sab AND set Naming in SB? or just Naming?

Sab shouldn't be configured to do anything with TV shows.

In Sickbeard don't have anything in the TV Download Dir section.

This is what I have as my name pattern: Season %0S/%SN - S%0SE%0E - %EN

Set up post processing.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Anyone on newshosting having speed trouble? It usually can max my meager connection, but lately I've been lucky if I can break 20KB/s, if I connect at all.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

Anyone on newshosting having speed trouble? It usually can max my meager connection, but lately I've been lucky if I can break 20KB/s, if I connect at all.

I had the same problem the other night on newsgroupsdirect, which is a different highwinds reseller. The problem ended up being constant disconnects resulting in my number of connections being maxed out. It was the same kind of issue i had with supernews, but with 50 connections vs 30, i can run 5 connections and maintain 4MB/s on a connection that normally runs 10MB/s. How many connections are you running?

It's still disappointing compared to running 10MB/s 24/7 with no DMCA bullshit in the prime of astraweb with no complaints from anybody. It seems to me that usenet has exploded in popularity, with all the advantages/disadvantages that comes with it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Powershift posted:

I had the same problem the other night on newsgroupsdirect, which is a different highwinds reseller. The problem ended up being constant disconnects resulting in my number of connections being maxed out. It was the same kind of issue i had with supernews, but with 50 connections vs 30, i can run 5 connections and maintain 4MB/s on a connection that normally runs 10MB/s. How many connections are you running?

It's still disappointing compared to running 10MB/s 24/7 with no DMCA bullshit in the prime of astraweb with no complaints from anybody. It seems to me that usenet has exploded in popularity, with all the advantages/disadvantages that comes with it.

I was running a staggering 8 connections. Dropped it down to 5 and it connected right away at peak speed. Weird.

johny006
Apr 6, 2013

by T. Finninho

Gism0 posted:

I updated sickbeard the other day and noticed they had added usenet-crawler.com, but today it stopped working.

http://www.usenet-crawler.com - text seems legit but what's with the background audio?
Yes, Usenet-Crawler seems to be down forever for DMCA complain in Netherlands. Stil many other Newznab sites our there, but mostly all of them going private after some time. NZBid.org seems to be stil open for all. Any other open Newznab indexers out there? I also like classical search engines like FindNZB cause they have much more Nzb files and newsgroup indexed.

johny006 fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 15, 2013

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I bought 500 GB for $20 from NewsgroupDirect when they were running their sale a few days ago and I have to say I'm disappointed so far. Speeds are very good when it works, but most stuff I've downloaded lately still seems to come from my almost gone BlockNews block that I currently have designated as a backup.

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

This is probably just me being an idiot but make sure all of your servers are set to the correct days of retention in Sabnzbd if you are not finishing downloads often. I had left Astraweb and my other back up server at 1,000 days so they were excluded from a lot of the older things I downloaded. I changed them to the correct timeframe and just finished a bunch of would not completes. :xd:

Kabe
Nov 12, 2006

Has anyone had an issue logging in to nzb.su? When I try to log in it says 'Log in failed' then when i try to reset password it sends me an email but the link only goes back to the log in screen where is tells me the log in failed again...

gi-
Aug 18, 2004

Kabe posted:

Has anyone had an issue logging in to nzb.su? When I try to log in it says 'Log in failed' then when i try to reset password it sends me an email but the link only goes back to the log in screen where is tells me the log in failed again...

Getting same failed login, yet API is still functining.

Knifefan
Nov 5, 2008
JEALOUS OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEX

gi- posted:

Getting same failed login, yet API is still functining.

If you have a device that is still logged in, you can change the password in the profile and it will work again.

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

Kabe posted:

You should get a second email with your new password - confused me when it dumped me to the login screen again after doing the reset link - then just log in go to your profile settings and change it.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

Kabe posted:

I got this too today out of nowhere. Dunno what happened.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Same. It seems to be a pretty common problem so I wonder what's up.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
I had to reset my password too. I thought I was just using the wrong one, but they may have had an issue.

EDIT: Looks like they had an account migration recently: http://nzb.su/board/

Trillest Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 11, 2013

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Trillest Parrot posted:

I had to reset my password too. I thought I was just using the wrong one, but they may have had an issue.

EDIT: Looks like they had an account migration recently: http://nzb.su/board/

gently caress, I can't remember the email I signed up with, and GMail is being a bitch about authentication.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

ijyt posted:

gently caress, I can't remember the email I signed up with, and GMail is being a bitch about authentication.
If you aren't using a password manager, it's time to start using a password manager. I recommend KeePass.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hogburto posted:

If you aren't using a password manager, it's time to start using a password manager. I recommend KeePass.

Yeah, it's starting to get pretty ridiculous trying to remember everything. I've ended up resetting passwords on email accounts I rarely use every time I want to use them. Luckily emailing nzb.su and giving the payment date for VIP seems to be an alternative method of recovery.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013
Can someone give me a brief rundown of what is exactly required to run a Usenet indexer, as in, how would one pull the data? If I had that, making an account system/search system would be a loving breeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 25 minutes!
Does anyone here use the Xsnews IPv6 server (reader.ipv6.xsnews.nl)? I've been getting pretty erratic speeds (~165 KBps vs 2.5 MBps normally) and spotty connectivity lately and I was wondering if it's on their end or if there's something wrong with my IPv6 setup since I'm getting a little packet loss on pings.