Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

KozmoNaut posted:

To add a bit onto this, the problem is exactly as massive as it sounds. This engine is used in basically every single model from Peugeot/Citroën, loads of Fords, MINIs, Volvos and so on, and they're all affected.

You'd think Volvo would've learned their lesson about Peugeot after the first time.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

They used Audi diesel engines for a while, massive heavy lumps but they did the job.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

To add a bit onto this, the problem is exactly as massive as it sounds. This engine is used in basically every single model from Peugeot/Citroën, loads of Fords, MINIs, Volvos and so on, and they're all affected.

Removing the filter is a workaround that gets you slightly dirty oil to the turbo instead of no oil at all. Mekonomen (a Swedish chain of mechanics) have designed a sump that solves the drainage problem, the permanent fix is to fit one of those in place of the OEM one, I believe the official policy for PSA here in Denmark is to do exactly that.

I can't imagine how embarrassed their engineers are right now.

Wait what? How is the oil not being supplied directly from the oil filter? Most VW and Mercs supply their oil directly post filter, how the hell is that not enough filtration for the turbocharger?

And why would you put something that could obviously get easily blocked right before the turbocharger?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CommieGIR posted:

And why would you put something that could obviously get easily blocked right before the turbocharger?

Beats me, ask Subaru if that's a good idea... or a GREAT idea!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Beats me, ask Subaru if that's a good idea... or a GREAT idea!

I'd rather have somewhat dirty oil that NO oil to something that essential and expensive.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CommieGIR posted:

I'd rather have somewhat dirty oil that NO oil to something that essential and expensive.

So would I. Subaru and Peugeot apparently disagree. http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=Info_SubaruOil

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

KozmoNaut posted:

Removing the filter is a workaround that gets you slightly dirty oil to the turbo instead of no oil at all. Mekonomen (a Swedish chain of mechanics) have designed a sump that solves the drainage problem, the permanent fix is to fit one of those in place of the OEM one, I believe the official policy for PSA here in Denmark is to do exactly that.

I can't imagine how embarrassed their engineers are right now.

Anybody know if this affects the 2 litre DW10 mill too? I'm getting paranoid about my Pug now. :ohdear:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

jammyozzy posted:

Anybody know if this affects the 2 litre DW10 mill too? I'm getting paranoid about my Pug now. :ohdear:

If they are going through the trouble of filtering the oil to the turbo, they should've gone the next step and added a high pressure bypass valve so if the filter clogs the turbocharger still gets oil

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

If they are going through the trouble of filtering the oil to the turbo, they should've gone the next step and added a high pressure bypass valve that actuates an warning indicator circuit so if the filter clogs the turbocharger still gets oil

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Oh of course, a simple overpressure sensor, but OIL THE DAMNED TURBO!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Speaking of turbos, I found this in a TDI forums post troubleshooting about a boost pressure engine code:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

:stare::stare::stare::stare:

Were they running a smoke tune or something?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Nope, that happens to all of them, I've seen even worse. Best thing to do is a get a tune that turns the EGR down to very little or nothing.

e: It happens because the PCV oil mixes with the soot from the EGR.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fucknag posted:

:stare::stare::stare::stare:

Were they running a smoke tune or something?

Welcome to TDIs with EGR.

Billy Tully posted:

Nope, that happens to all of them, I've seen even worse. Best thing to do is a get a tune that turns the EGR down to very little or nothing.

Yeah, most popular thing is to just bypass the EGR completely, but sucks if you live somewhere cold because it takes longer for the motor to warm then.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
But they're so much fun to clean!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vog9AJniOW0

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I'd be afraid of warping/cracking it, but it makes sense I suppose.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

Based on previous experience of PSA build quality, I have a hard time imagining them giving a poo poo.

I can only speak from my own experience, but my 406 runs as smooth as anything and hasn't got a single spot of rust despite 12 years on the road including winters. I have one issue with it, a broken speed sensor, which was cheaper to replace than I thought. Sir Cornelius has one as well with more miles than mine, he's had very few problems with his, too.

My parents are on their second Citroën C5 now, no major problems to report from them either, apart from normal wear and tear (my mom has a 50km commute each way).

Of course, none of those cars are turbo nor diesel, which is probably a factor to consider ;)

As long as people keep spreading rumors, people like me will have plenty of great, inexpensive used cars to chose from.

jammyozzy posted:

It probably doesn't affect the DW engines. The 1.6 is a newer design from the DLD family, which was co-developed with Ford. The only real issue I've heard with the DW engines are EGR valves sooting up (as seen above on a VW engine), which I think is common to most diesels. EGR blocking kits are available, if you're worried.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

That's the most :black101: way I've seen of cleaning a car part.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Kidney Stone posted:

If your engine is a 1.6l TDCi from Peugeot (PSA), then it might very soon end up being a mechanical failure - you need to remove the filter from the banjo bolt which supplies the oil to the turbo. If that filter gets blocked (the problem is caused by badly designed sump. Removal of the sump drain plug does not result in total removal of old oil. Leaving sludge in sump.at some point due to the way the oil sump is constructed), your turbo will fail.

Well why do you think the turbos only four month old? Yep, exactly that problem killed the last one! We've taken the filter out of the bolt when we replaced the turbo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shai-Hulud posted:

Well why do you think the turbos only four month old? Yep, exactly that problem killed the last one! We've taken the filter out of the bolt when we replaced the turbo.

Wait, is the filter inside the banjo bolt?

Hasn't anyone ever learned about maximizing filter area?

E: Goddammit, this is exactly what they've done, probably the stupidest idea ever:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

KozmoNaut posted:

E: Goddammit, this is exactly what they've done, probably the stupidest idea ever:

I can't stop laughing at this, good lord. :cripes:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
It's fine; the high pressure will just push any contaminants through the filter.

It won't.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Take down (if necessary); by means of a screwdriver.

I will do my best to integrate this phrase into my life somehow.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

KozmoNaut posted:

Service interval: replace with every fuel fill.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

Speaking of turbos, I found this in a TDI forums post troubleshooting about a boost pressure engine code:

I've seen worse. I wish I still had a picture but there was a hilux where the carbon was still gooey and it was blocking the swirl control valves from moving at all.

Billy Tully posted:

e: It happens because the PCV oil mixes with the soot from the EGR.

Hyundai/Kia seem to have solved this problem by software and valve design alone, along with a couple of other makes. VAG and the various japanese brands continue to struggle.

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

obso posted:

High ratio rockers and supa stiff valve springs don't play nice together. Or they don't have the right valve springs for that amount of total lift and they are collapsing/binding.

They had around 30k miles on them and he beat the absolute poo poo out of his car. I'm pretty sure the springs lost their... springyness, and were compressing too much.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

There's a reason my cruiser has a pair of welch plugs hammered into each end of the EGR pipe.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ferremit posted:

There's a reason my cruiser has a pair of welch plugs hammered into each end of the EGR pipe.

One of toyota's biggest and most retarded mistakes is putting the egr outlet and valve in front of the turbo instead of directly at the manifold, as well as using a valve that pulls open instead of pushing and an egr stream that comes in perpendicular to the flow of air. It's all just lovely lazy design.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

:catstare: No no no no what the hell were they thinking!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Holy poo poo :psyboom:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm not an expert on oiling systems, but some googling leads me to believe that it's a common occurrence, for whatever reason. But obviously not in conjunction with a sump that doesn't allow you to drain all of the old oil from the engine.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Slavvy posted:

One of toyota's biggest and most retarded mistakes is putting the egr outlet and valve in front of the turbo instead of directly at the manifold, as well as using a valve that pulls open instead of pushing and an egr stream that comes in perpendicular to the flow of air. It's all just lovely lazy design.

They got it right slightly better on the 1KZ motors- the EGR valve is on the end of the intake manifold at the back of the block, so you only feed a constant stream of poo poo into #4's runner instead of caking the intake pipes and manifolds on all cylinders

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

CommieGIR posted:

Wait what? How is the oil not being supplied directly from the oil filter? Most VW and Mercs supply their oil directly post filter, how the hell is that not enough filtration for the turbocharger?

Because Peugeot...

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

jammyozzy posted:

As far as I know, the problem only exists in the 1.6 engine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ferremit posted:

They got it right slightly better on the 1KZ motors- the EGR valve is on the end of the intake manifold at the back of the block, so you only feed a constant stream of poo poo into #4's runner instead of caking the intake pipes and manifolds on all cylinders

Don't worry, the 1KD rectifies that issue and goes back to the lovely old design. Just because.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

As long as people keep spreading rumors, people like me will have plenty of great, inexpensive used cars to chose from
Every PSA car I've had personal experience of has shat itself in a mechanically terminal fashion, the only exception being an AX Forte my dad had new. That just had plastic parts disintegrate.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

Every PSA car I've had personal experience of has shat itself in a mechanically terminal fashion, the only exception being an AX Forte my dad had new. That just had plastic parts disintegrate.

I call that "culling the herd" ;)

But seriously:

• My 2000 Peugeot 406
  • Sir Cornelius' 2001 Peugeot 406
  • My parents' current 2007 Citroën C5
  • My parents' old 2001 Citroën C5
  • My uncle's 2001 Citroën C5
  • 199x Peugeot 205 that belonged to a colleague at my old job and made 250km trips back home every weekend
  • My dad's 2011 Peugeot Boxer company van
  • My dad's previous company vans, 2x 2009 Peugeot Expert
  • My dad's company vans before that, 2x 2002 Citroën Jumpy
  • My dad's secondary company van during that time, a 2002 Citroën Evasion
  • 1998 Citroën Xantia my dad got as part of a trade for an old car

I think my dad may have had 3 of the 2002 Jumpys at one point, but my memory is failing me. Out of the 13 PSA cars that my friends and family have driven and currently drive, only one has had a failure that could be described as even remotely serious, and that was a broken electric cooling fan on the Xantia. Perfectly driveable, as long as you didn't idle for too long. Other than that, there has been a stuck CEL or two and couple of minor things like that, we use our cars, it's inevitable. We also take care of them and keep them maintained.

And yeah, the soft-touch rubberized trim in Citroën C5s does disintegrate, that's just how they are after a couple of years of wear. They went away from that design for a reason. No show-stopping faults on any of the cars, though. If you want to talk sucky cars, my go-to car is the 1996 Mercedes C250 diesel my parents drove before their first C5. That car was nothing but trouble.

Jeez, I actually had no idea how PSA-mad of a crowd I actually run with. Take that as you will :)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 14, 2013

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

My S2 106 Rallye was an awesome little car. When the original 8v engine gave up I just threw in a 16v from a GTI and kept on trucking. The best story I have about these was a friends GTI blew a piston ring on the way to Bruntingthorpe and we just make a catch tank from a water bottle and some samco hose and out he went doing 2 mile top speed runs in it and every 10 minutes came in and dumped the contents of the catch bottle back into the engine and went back out. Sure it smoked a bit but it worked. Next day we go and pull a bottom end out of some other PSA car running the came 16v TU engine and swapped it over on his drive and it fired up first time and was ok until he sold it a few years later.

Sure the interior squeaked and rattled but it was fun.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Mechanical failure: Some local car tuner who looks like pink flesh with eyes and a baseball cap thinks it caught fire because he rushed mounting the gas tank. I'm thinking it was divine intervention, friction and an improper mounting.

Potential failure: He's got an NSX. Never seen it on the streets and I'm praying it's been kept tasteful.

Mental failure: Another local tuner has a Murcielago body-kit on something that sounds like a barely running tractor engine.

Love my town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
This is a brand new window regulator for my car:

This is how they look when they're worn down enough to need replacement:

Here's what I pulled out of my door today:

My door isn't full of aquarium rocks, the cam buttons failed but the window somehow kept working until it ground them into chunks too small to engage the gear.